Jagged Alliance : Flashback (Prequel)

NoXTheRoXStaR

The New Old Jagged Alliance  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jagged Alliance still interest you?

• Absolutely
    • None Whatsoever

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/13/apr/jaf1.jpg

When it comes to Tbs games (Turn Based Strategy) only XCOM ranks higher than Jagged Alliance on my list. Therefore I feel it's befitting to add this topic to the games forum. Thorondor has already submitted some JA news located in the "Other gaming news" section of Strategy Core. You can click here for that.

Keep in mind this is a Kickstarter type funding based game. dntknw.gif

So it's up to you and me to contribute to this games intial birth of development.

"Heading to Kickstarter next week, where it will have a target of $350,000" (USD)

I don't find that the amount is a very lofty goal considering the success of other Kickstarters I've personally contributed to;

Torment : Tides of Numenera which generated ($3 Million) & Wasteland 2 which damn near generated ($3 Million).

The Kickstarter for JA Flashback will reportedly start next week. (I'll post a link when available)

I am aware that the last series of JA was disappointing not only to myself but many other people as well. (check the metacritcs for Back in Action and Crossfire) We should contribute to this Kickstarter and be watching the developments with bated breath.

-NoX

• 2 weeks later...

Update :: As of 5/3/2013 GMT 4:00PM

Jagged Alliance : Flashback kickstarter has raised $130,035 (USD) with 3,178 backers and 19 days to go!

Some math....if the first update was at $58,375 and the second at $130,035 which is an increase of around $71,000. (10 days later)

Assuming the increase were to remain the same for the next 10 days, we'd have a total of $259.000 with 9 days left needing somewhere around $91,000.

Hmmm.

-NoX

The "poor" backing is probably because many people are too defensive about JA. Most stick around with the community mods for JA2. Also there were so many fails for recreating JA series. First was that poor Hired Guns, then well mediocre Back In Action. I am keeping my hopes because well I want to see something new in JA series. JA 2 ain't giving the same fun it used to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Game is funded. party.gifdrinks.gif

In case someone missed it : https://www.kickstart...ck/posts/467693

https://ymlp.com/zt6n1e

Danish development studio Full Control announced today that it has partnered with Humble Bundle to give each backer of the Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter campaign a copy of the limited-edition Jagged Alliance Classic Pack. Upon successful completion of project funding, all backers who have contributed $5 or more will receive a collection of Jagged Alliance titles, including Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, Jagged Alliance 2 and Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business in English. Additionally, the Classic Pack features Windows 7 support – a first for the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

If anyone's interested, you can get 15% loyalty bonus until June 8th on Flashback if you own:

Jagged Alliance - Back In Action

Jagged Alliance - Crossfire

Jagged Alliance 1 Gold Edition

Expeditions: Conquistadors

Space Hulk

Too bad the discounts aren't cumulative, otherwise I'd have 60% off sad.png

• 4 months later...

Today they gave early access keys to 25$ backers. I've installed the game and right now all I see is global tragedy... It's even worse playable than Back In Action. I haven't read all the development diary's, but if this is to take place when the A.I.M was founded I shouldn't be getting Mercs that were added in Jagged Alliance 2. Some of the voices I think were also re-used from the Back In Action. I'm guessing that the early access has different mission than full campaign but for example the main dude you get control (and any other male merc you get for now) has voice of Raider from BiA. Optimization also extremely sucks. Would you believe that I'm getting 30 FPS on a i7-4770K CPU with R290 GPU? Unbelievable.

I somewhere have heard some voices that this game is trash, but with what I saw..... I don't know if even hope can help it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is a very sad day. Did you know that as of right now you can get this game off of Steam for a petty $14.99?

You know I was going to write a review of this game, but every time I start the game to use visual references it rips parts of my soul out!

So begins my drunken rant.

Seriously? What the fuck were they thinking when they made this game? Were they thinking? Did anyone of these piece of fucking shit morons ever go up to the producer and say, "You know sir, I've been a long time fan of the Jagged Alliance series and I don't think a lot of our investors would like this or that". NO. They probably were all like, "Hey boss, since this game wasn't funded very strongly, let's fuck our backers and release a half-ass game and the box artist can stamp Jagged Alliance all over it like they did with the shitty Wild Fire".

They basically spit on the face of any fan of the Jagged Alliance franchise...ha, and I use the word "franchise" loosely because the only people that got this series right was the Canadian team of Sir-Tech and they of course are dead and buried which is the current status of that company.

I don't feel too bad, I started this topic. You can click here to read exactly how I feel about this game.

-NoX

Yes, I shortened it.

I didn't do a review on Steam, I did a rant here at home/S.C. I've played this game for about roughly 4 hours. As far as how many games have I really played....well my best estimate would be in the thousands. Games I finished to completion would be in the hundreds. Why, are you doubting me?

Why, are you doubting me?

Not doubting you, but I have seen many people create an opinion very fast and change it later based on seeing more of the game. Four hours usually presents a large chunk of a playthrough though, so you'd know if you like the game at least a bit.

@Silencer: Yes, Kickstarter. As a backer of several projects I'm sure I'll get this feeling of being ripped off about a few, too. Even The Mandate, that I eventually backed, is still updating us with ideas only, instead of showing more of actual work being done. Sooner or later, we'll all have to either accept the risk of paying in advance or simply not do it.

Not doubting you, but I have seen many people create an opinion very fast and change it later based on seeing more of the game. Four hours usually presents a large chunk of a playthrough though, so you'd know if you like the game at least a bit.

Well S.V. my friend I am not many people. teehee.gif

When I give a down.gif to a game it's because I absolutely feel the game is;

Below standards

Rushed out of production

Meant to be milked (Destiny-Borderlands-Madden-Call of Duty, etc)

I am very critical of the Jagged Alliance series because it was one of many games that got me into gaming. The others of course being X-COM,

Heroes of Might & Magic, Command & Conquer and Master of Orion. And we all have seen the shit series they've become.(Minus XCOM, I actually quite enjoyed it) Ha! So you must understand I was hoping Jagged Alliance Flashback was going to ...how do I say... reignite my faith in classic strategy. Silencer was correct when he said that many people didn't need to play it more than an hour to dislike it. Which is true, as I write this I've played about 6 hours of it and I don't think I'll be playing it again...A lot of reviews of a game are posted with lopsidedness. So I can understand your concern when people have played it very a short time.

-NoX