Score Refresh!

Thorondor

Frozen Endzone

Coolly moving for the win. Taking one's time to outthink and outmanoeuver your opponent is something we've found in play before in Mode 7's accomplished simultaneous turn-based strategy hit Frozen Synapse, and now they move to score big-time again introducing Frozen Endzone.

Frozen Endzone will be the premiere tactical future sports game!

It combines the strategic depth of Frozen Synapse with an elegant interface, completely original creative gameplay and a thrilling futuristic aesthetic.

Two teams face off in a randomly-generated situation. You must design a play to get the ball into your opponent's endzone, using the stadium's terrain to your advantage.

Features:

• Full single player (Skirmish and Season) and multiplayer (various modes)

• Unique simultaneous-turn-based gameplay

• Randomly-generated situations and terrain for instant action

• Selection of teams and stadiums; customisation options

• Expressive art style and high-quality animation

• Trance and electronica soundtrack by nervous_testpilot

Mode 7's team has been found on the field by PC Gamer reporter Evan Lahti and an extensive pre-match interview so has Lead Designer/Programmer Ian Hardingham, Writer/Musician/Joint Managing Director Paul Taylor as well as the Lead artist/animator on the record.

Reports indicate a beta is likely to be made available this very year and if they don't drop the ball with Frozen Endzone we'll certainly be game in 2014 when it releases.

In the meantime, be sure to cheer for and so defrost the game's Steam scoreboard to have it Greenlighted here.

I don't know... Games about sports never had much appeal for me. However futuristic.

Also buying anything right now is only making the distance to a new computer longer. If I ever get to that.

Lastly, I have more than enough games. I haven't played many of the games I already own and life indicates my free time will only get cut further instead of added.

It’s true that when you sent me the screenshot and told me about it, my initial reaction was ‘uh-oh, I don’t really care about sports generally, let alone American Football, do I need to find another journalist to attend this?’ But when you showed it to me, I was ‘oh, OK, I think I can see how this works and I’m pretty sure I could play it.’

::

How did Frozen Endzone come into play? The Mode 7 team explains it all at club RPS.

I think my first reaction was along the lines of "what the heck?" but then the more I watch the video it makes perfect sense and looks like great fun :)

Now I sort of want them to update Frozen Synapse to that graphical style too (I know, there's nothing wrong with it currently :P).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The more I think about this game, the more it looks like a lot harder to do than FS. The players can't be as virtual as the vats, meaning that they can't be walking through one another, and some kind of physics will need to be at work. If two of them collide, there must be an effect that changes the whole plan.

Also the players can't be all that mindless, just executing the exact plan the (real) player set up. The AI needs to be making some kind of alteration to the plan as the situation changes or the game will look far from lifelike.

All in all, I'm interested in how this turns out, however little attention I usually pay to sport games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the mail with a preorder offer today, but frankly I can't afford to spend any more money on games. Also, there is no shooting in this game. :D

I want to take Tjaša skiing this year so that her last year course would not go to waste and the money is spread veeery thinly. I don't know what came over me to fund The Mandate (damn, it looks cool) - if I won't be able to play it, I'll feel like a donkey. Anyway, no more.

You get this calm feeling looking at all the incredible deals around Christmas. Not being able to buy frees your mind. Kinda.