The old TFTD Geoscape.exe update?

NKF

It's that time again folks, I can't remember when I last asked for it off the top of my head, or if I ever asked for it here, but does anyone have a copy of the Geoscape.exe update that was mean to be installed over the v2 update? If memory serves, it was on the Microprose FTP site before it went down (yes, I know, this is dating waaaay back). I recall XComutil used to report it as a Beta release.

It's one of things we've been missing in our files section for a while now. Also I suddenly realised I've never tested out the Tasoth Commander myth on it as of yet (the mention of the TasCom in Kasey Chang's USG partly kicked this recollection off), so my interest has been re-invigourated.

So, anyone here have it squirreled away on your hard drive somewhere? Anyone?

- NKF

I remember you mentioned this to me a while back, sadly, the Microprose FTP site was before my time. I looked and don't have it either. :(

Did you try BladeFireLight? He might have it. Or maybe Scott T. Jones? (He's doubtful, but it's worth a shot at least). ;)

- Zombie

Scott Jones' website was probably where I first discovered of the updated geoscape way back in the day. The link's still there, but points to the now defunct FTP site: ftp://ftp.microprose.com/pub/mps-online/new-versions/geoscape.exe

A Google search didn't really turn up any results. Too many related hits, but nothing on the file. Guess it was a rather unnoticed update.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello!

I make some effort to retrieve the former MicroProse FTP site content from various sources. I can collect more than 90% of files it contain at early 1998, including the geoscape.exe file you look for. I decide to share my collection as a torrent. Here is the magnetic link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9721F01D29035B0C8033A5EC466954CE8FC5B9C2&dn=ftp.microprose.com&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker1.torrentino.com%2fannounce%3fpasskey%3d00000000000000000000000000000000

The list of files that are still missing or are different from original:

1. /mps-online/demos/ATRDEM.ZIP - not found
  2. /mps-online/demos/GREENS1.ZIP - not found
  3. /mps-online/demos/PGDEMO.ZIP - the only founded copy is incomlete (125,760 bytes of 1,316,735)
  4. /mps-online/new-versions/M1FIRE.ZIP - not found
  5. /mps-online/new-versions/MPSLONG.TXT - not found; probably it is just a part of /mps-online/MPSLONG.TXT file
  6. /mps-online/new-versions/MPSNL993.TXT - not found; due to description the file is misplaced (must be in /mps-online/press-releases/)
  7. /mps-online/new-versions/NEWEXE.ZIP - not found; due to description it probably contains FOOTBALL.EXE from UFV131.ZIP
  8. /mps-online/new-versions/PGVER3.ZIP - founded copies have different sizes than original file
  9. /mps-online/new-versions/readme.txt - it is impossible to identify a file with such name
  10. /mps-online/new-versions/REX849.ZIP - founded copies have different sizes than original file
  11. /mps-online/new-versions/SLUMFI.ZIP - founded file "slumfix.zip" has different name and size than original file
  12. /mps-online/new-versions/SOSKEY.ZIP - not found
  13. /mps-online/new-versions/SS2V3.ZIP - founded copies have different sizes than original file
  14. /mps-online/new-versions/SW202.ZIP - founded copies have different sizes than original file
  15. /mps-online/new-versions/UFV12.ZIP - not found; probably superceded by UFV131.ZIP
  16. /mps-online/utilities/directx.zip - unknown which version of DX it is; i substitute it by a copy of DX 3.0a as most recent version at the original file timestamp
  17. /sh-online/demos/fmcdem.sea - not found; no idea which game this demo file belongs to
  18. /sh-online/demos/sttng.zip - not found; probably it is early "Star Trek: The Next Generation – A Final Unity" demo mentioned sometimes (not the later demo CD which is much bigger than 3 Mb)

If you have one or more of these files please let me know how can i acquire it.

Hot diggity! I think we have a few folks here that might be quite interested in the X-Com related files. I'd definitely like to have a look at the Geoscape.exe beta at some point. Unfortunately I wouldn't know the first thing about torrents though. :D

- NKF

I decide to share files as a torrent because i think that is more reliable and longevity method than place files on any "file sharing" site: we almost lost them once when original ftp.microprose.com went down.

If you satisfy with the file(s) you download, please distribute the magnetic link anywhere you know people interested in such "archaeological inventions" and spend some time to seed the file(s).

No worries, it's good to preserve a legacy like this.

I think I managed to retrieve the related xcom folder and the TFTD files from the new-versions folder. Everything's still greek to me, so not even sure if I have done it right, but I should be able to work it out once I get some free time.

- NKF

I am blooming kicking myself now. I got ahold of the beta geoscape.exe and went to look for a copy of the game to test it out on.

I had actually recently found a really old copy of TFTD I had managed to extract off an old dusty hard drive (from my old Pentium 133!) to test it out. It had XComutil 8.0 if that's any indication. Before I could put in the geoscape.exe, I had to figure out how to get XComutil to report the versions. Once I figured it out, I discovered it was already the beta .exe and there was a backup geoscape.exe in the same folder, and after swapping that was clearly the v2 .exe.

wallbash.gif

I had a copy all along! Granted, this was my only copy and it was already tampered with by XComutil according to the 2003 file timestamp.

Oh well, at least this gives me a fresh copy to work off.

- NKF

Here's the files Yellow Horror provided via a magnet link. What I did was download it from the torrent and uploaded it through a file share site.

https://www.firedrive.com/file/124C182778FAB7B8

I'd recommend an Admin or Staff Member adding these files to the archives. My link should last a long time as I'm always making sure my links are current.

-NoX

NoXTheRoXStaR, i recommend you to add info about missing and different files into your archive. May be someone has a file i miss. And people need to be more careful with the files that are not authentic. I check them all and think that nothing was added into the files (such as viruses, etc.) May be they were just repacked by more effective archivation method (that was in practice in XX century). But may be also that something was thrown out from the original archives.

• 4 months later...

My archive is updated. Three previously incorrecly downloaded files was noticed and fixed:

mps-online/misc-files/mpsrol.zip

mps-online/demos/FDF14.ZIP

mps-online/new-versions/asndgsmv.zip

There is the new magnetic link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8BED8EE11944AB5776D8BE876CCB7145779C74B8&dn=ftp.microprose.com

• 2 months later...