UFO Extender

Tycho

You are right, I already implemented fix for base defense crash.. So - my summary is not complete wink.png But - yes - I have also the crashes in the Alien base missions - random.. If you have random crashes, try to disable the all the patches temporarily by put Apply=0 into bug fix section.. If it will continue with crashing - I am afraid I will not be able to help..

can you send me the game where the crashes appears?

If I only wouldn't had overwritten it already. :( I'll send you the savegame if it happens again. I have had it happen maybe three times in last few years that alien base bugs out so bad I need to hack my way out of it. Its very random, usually it might crash once and that's it and some times it just keeps crashing no matter what. I'm fairly certain it has something to do with aliens panicing or going berzerk, that seems to nearly always correlate with the crashing.

Lets see if the problem resides. Btw, floater bases seem to crash the least and muton bases cause it more often.

The alien base crash has definitely something to do with panic/berzerk routine... The crash is USUALLY almost identical to the HWP berzerk bug. Alien berzerks or panics and on the next instant the game crashes with access violation or what's it called. But its not always that obvious, there's also some crashing which doesn't indicate any sort of pattern. The message always says that UFO crashed trying to access something, probably trying to look for something in the game files which doesn't exist?

Luckily the problem doesn't always occur, yesterday I played a Sectoid base, it randomly crashed only once and it was quite long game, over fifty turns or so. The earllier Muton base crashed on nearly every turn. I would say it crashed 95% of the time.

With the latest patcher, these are the only crashes I have experienced so far. All other missions and geoscape work like a charm. grin.gif

Alright.. If you will have the same crashes again try to exchange patcher into 1.31.9 or disable the patches in 1.34.4 by putting Apply =0 into Bug Fix section and send me result..

Weirdly enough, I've tried to make you a savegame on which the crashing happens, but lo and behold, the latest alien base runs have worked just fine. I did have one of the random crashes on a Snakeman terror site but it only happened once and didn't repeat. Its more a nuisance than a real problem unless it happens like with that muton base.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

nice to see that this game still has friends!

At the moment i am playing with Version 1.32.8a since i was not happy with the 1.34 Version. I am playing with the alternate research tree=1 and i cannot research any living ethereal. Everytime the game crashes at "0x4447CF with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000255"

Since this session is running now for a while...is there anything i can do?

Hi skaw8477,

why you are unhappy with the 1.34.4 that I fixed? I think I have already removed that patch that disabled you catching any live aliens..

If you use alternate patches then you may get some freak behavior. I don´t think everything is done well and may contain errors. That is why I removed what could cause problems in my opinion, so you have more stable game.

If you prefer modding, better use OpenXCom. It is completely new game made from scratch that looks like the original game and may behave similar to the original but has lot more possibilities. But it is not based on the original code like the extender is. It is new game uses the old graphics.

1. Try my fixed version to make the research.

2. Try the original 1.34.4 version

3. Try to disable alternate research and use my fixed version.

Send me the game and I will try it in my setup.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm playing Ufo Enemy Unknown with UfoExtender and I have came across several bugs (with patch from https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/10341-ufo-extender/page__st__540#entry156761):

1. Second battle, is always bugged. Weapons are as if items for first battle were taken.

2. If first battle from loading was a terrror, second battle will give "civilians rescued" bonus.

3. Hyper-wave decoder seems not to give any detection rate when stationed alone in a base (once I have removed small/large radars, I have stopped having ANY detection)

4. With Alt Craft Research=1 I was unable to produce Firestorm.

Anyone?

I seem to remember that being deliberate.

From https://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Hyper-wave_Decoder

As a radar, the Hyper-wave Decoder's detection sphere extends beyond the Large Radar and has a 100% chance of detecting any encompassed UFO during the half-hourly radar sweeps.

But alas... it seems that on "experienced"

The hyperwave decoder only provides decoded information.

So it seems I have done it to myself...

Why? If I want things to be harder I can modify the numbers myself, can't I? Fixes of bugs in the original game should be standard on on, but brand new stuff and changes should be standard on off; and every variable should be in the ini file, so you don't have to go guess whether or not something exists, and what name it was given.

Old research:

2. If first battle from loading was a terrror, second battle will give "civilians rescued" bonus.

Seemed to be caused by MISSDAT bug in the game. So nothing new really. And I believe current version does crash more often than original.

New findings:

1. Fatal wounds are not applied to unconscious units. Both aliens and X-Com. (I have Alien Bleeding=1) I remember them being applied to X-Com soldiers in the original.

Why? If I want things to be harder I can modify the numbers myself, can't I? Fixes of bugs in the original game should be standard on on, but brand new stuff and changes should be standard on off; and every variable should be in the ini file, so you don't have to go guess whether or not something exists, and what name it was given.

It was originally like that, but from version 1.32 onwards Tycho started pushing an all-or-nothing approach where you either use the Extender the way he wants you, or don't use it at all. First it was putting most new features under a single Apply=1 option, then taking away the choice entirely by hardcoding them into difficulty levels.

And ironically enough, the pre-hardcoding versions were far more stable and bug-free than the 1.34 betas he left us with before bailing.

Regardless of MISSDAT folder I sometimes get cilivials bonus. No idea why.

Also results are unstable. Sometimes mission is summed incorrectly in other ways.

Also you always get Vechicle Weapons when (re)arming crafts.

Try to remove or rearm interceptor/firestorm/etc. More likely you don't use the weapon you equip... instead of it being added to your stores.

• 1 month later...

Hi all UFO fans,

I read your messages. I am just a fan as you and my modified version is not perfect. The problem is as it was already said - Tycho did a lot of work unfinished and buggy. It seems he left the project and didn´t offer source code. I recommend not to use the later patchers for playing on higher difficulty levels. I only fixed few bugs in the latest binary, with a try to get closer to the original game on beginner level, but I can not fix all the mentioned bugs. So - better use 1.31.x as it can be worse, but in few cases better and you can mod and change what you like in the ini.

In my opinion if the project may continue, it needs a programmer that may fix the patcher from the latest source version 1.31.x

Patches that were made later can be reapplied and should be better tested before applying new patches and improvements.

A pity Tycho changed the strategy to combine patches together.. So you are completely unable to remove not working "fixes". I think it is simply not good and this is what I tried to change in my modded version - but just into compiled binary and not to source..

So I call to anyone who is enough skilled and like this project to help to continue and rework the Tycho´s patches because it seems Tycho is long time uninterested and still off.

ArivaldH:

If you have CONSTANT crashes, try to make a backup of the whole game and replace all the extender (patcher) files (exe, ini and dll) with one of the previous version then try to finish the battle. Then try to return the latest patcher back.. Also try 1.31.9 seems the most stable to me..

If this will not help, probably yet there is a problem with the game data files..

Hi again,

after long time not tested UFO game I tried to play with my modded version 13.4.4. I tried to fix the bugs in it but it seems it is really buggy a lot!

Here was mentioned the counting of scores from the missions - I played the game from just the beginning on beginner level and I shoot down the UFO and in the battle there survived only one alien. I shoot him in the second turn and nobody was harmed not killed, but I got negative points for loosing one men and yes - I missed one after returning from the mission back to base smile.png So - there are so many freak things that may happen while you will play with the latest extender 1.34.4. I can not truly recommend to use it for serious playing if you really wont have that kind of surprises like me .) Maybe in the other way it could be stable later - I don¨t know - but still you have to count with unexpected smile.png

So definitely better use 1.31.9 if you really like to play serious this game with an extender.. You may notice bugs in it and you can have few crashes also but I am sure that it did not contain this unexpected behavior like you can see while using the latest one!

For the one who is still interested in the 1.34.4 extender I uploaded my latest modded one.

There is only a small difference from the previous one - that now you can add "Defence Missions=" 1 or 0 into bug fix section to enable/disable equipment screen before the base defence missions start. If it is 0 then it will not appear and you will not be able to equip your soldiers before the base defence mission start like it was in the original game. (Defence is written with C - but I am not good in english and I seen C and also S - but you should write "Defence Missions=")

patcher1344m_defence_missions.zip

Hi UFO fans,

I uploaded modified executable which I am using as a loader for loading the last crashed battlescape.

So you will not loose the last game even if it crashed.

USE THIS TOOL only for SAVING the last state into normal save game slot! Then exit and load the saved game normally!

DON´T USE THIS TOOL for playing the game! It is not created for this! It contains bugs and will not show you the score screen after finishing the battlescape and also can harm your save game.

How it works:

After start it loads the last mission from the MISSDAT folder. The last battlescape is restarted from beginning and you are able to save it!

BUT ALWAYS DO BACKUP before overwriting your working game with this last battlescape.

How to use:

At first open README1ST.txt!! And read carefully.

You will need to copy all the content of the zip into the game directory. Then you need to modify the UFOLastb131.ini as described in the README1ST.txt or you will be using my own setting and may not work for you properly on your computer!

lastbattleen.zip