UFO Extender

Tycho

Tycho, I have a feature request. Would it be possible to implement an option that allows the player to reorder the list of crafts on the Launch Interception screen?

If manual reordering is not possible, how about an automatic sorting option that runs in the background whenever the player aquires a new craft? Option 0 does nothing as usual, option 1 sorts craft alphabetically, option 2 sorts craft by base (crafts in same base are sub-sorted alphabetically).

Also, is it possible to rename crafts?

Also also, how about an option that disables the "force Low Fuel - Returning to Base state after mission" feature? Few years ago, I remember that I almost lost a campaign because a terror mission popped up while my transport was returning to base after a mission and the game didn't let me redeploy until the transport landed and finished refueling, about 12 hours after the terror mission disappeared and I got the score penalty.

• 3 weeks later...

Tycho, I have a feature request. Would it be possible to implement an option that allows the player to reorder the list of crafts on the Launch Interception screen? If manual reordering is not possible, how about an automatic sorting option that runs in the background whenever the player aquires a new craft? Option 0 does nothing as usual, option 1 sorts craft alphabetically, option 2 sorts craft by base (crafts in same base are sub-sorted alphabetically).

Also, is it possible to rename crafts?

Manual reordering would be difficult to implement. For now, I might be able to list crafts by base and then craft. Or I might make it list crafts in reverse order so that skyrangers will be last.

You can't rename crafts. The database entries for soldiers have fields for the names. The database entries for craft do not. The name is derived from the craft type and a counter.

Manual reordering would be difficult to implement. For now, I might be able to list crafts by base and then craft. Or I might make it list crafts in reverse order so that skyrangers will be last.

I was able to implement a new sorting routine into the interception menu without much difficulty. Aircraft will now be grouped by base and then listed in order of Avenger>Lightning>Firestorm>Interceptor>Skyranger. So the strongest fighter aircraft will be listed first.

update: added a second option for the interception screen that players can choose so craft will be grouped by base and then listed in alphabetical order.

Edited by Tycho

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on the latest version even though I've been busy.

I finally have a decent fix for the "throwing grenades through a solid ceiling" exploit.

I've also gotten the Alien Containment usage to match its ufopaedia description and only allow 10 aliens per unit (or 5 per unit for Genius/Superhuman). There is still the max of only 50 aliens total but with the ability to remove unwanted aliens from containment, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've also put in some delays for aliens attacking bases. Now there will be a longer pause between attacks depending upon game difficulty. (from 2~3 days up to 2~3 weeks).

I will hopefully have a test version released soon.

[update]

Without much problems, I think I have managed to make the Extender handle all three language settings for all the Extender's text. Each entry in the [Text] section of the INI can have nothing, or a '_1' or '_2' suffix on the last term to denote the language option.

Edited by Tycho

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.33 (beta)

• Option to use the BASS sound system to play all game sounds!
    • Separate volume control for sound and music:
    • New [sounds] section in the INI.
    • Volume range is 0~100.

[*]Celatid's spit attack targets the soldier, not the ground at the soldier's feet.

[*]Players can now use the terrorists' melee attacks (if available).

[*]Players can toggle right craft weapon on/off when using Cautious Attack by clicking the button again.

[*]The order of planes on the interception launch menu is now arranged by base and aircraft.

• =1 arranges planes by strongest fighter to transport
    • =2 lists craft alphabetically.

[*]Many Extender texts can be set for multiple languages.

[*]Alien Containment facilities have limited space as per the UFOpaedia description.

[*]Changes to Ablative Armor based on players' feedback:

• Armor points are not lost as fast as previous versions'.
    • Armor Piercing ammo still follows original game formula.
    • Small rocket now treated as an AP attack when Ablative armor enabled and the rocket hits a large creature. (The explosion will be smaller, as well.)

New Mods

Alternate Terrorist Mod

• Set to adjust terror units for certain species or so that aliens will get random terrorists (for more variety in terror missions.)
    • =1 Sectoids and Floaters will have an additional type of terror unit.
    • =2 All terror units are randomly chosen (the types that are available are based on game duration. (so no chryssalids at the start.)

Stun Anyone

• Set to allow soldiers to use the stun rod on other soldiers.

Extender 1.32+ Difficulty levels.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tycho,

many thanks for the 1.33 beta. It seems absolutely great! It works!! Works perfect at all! Also with my modded czech executable - first tested with the original CE version.. Thanks also to return back Hack section! and also for the huge update of readme with the explanations..

Right now I am testing it. So I can not give you the detailed result for now..

But - some notices that I would like to tell:

it was good idea to add the volume settings separate for the sound and music! Thumbs up!

But I have to switch of the Slower Scroll Speed=0 as it does not behave well.. I don´t understand why this setting is here, maybe on some other machines it does not work properly but I have good result with the zero. If set to 1 the scroll on speed 1 is fluent but very slow, and on other speed the scroll is not fluent.. I have this set to 0 and then I have set the speed to 2 and the scrolling is fluent with with very handy speed.

But I think someone else could have better result with the setting activated..

Also I have to switch Animations Speed=0 as this do some freaky boxes like effect around the man walking through the smokes.. But when I have it off it seems the animations of anything work normal - so I don´t see any difference between this 0 or 1 except the smoke issue..

What does mean this settings?

No Warning=41026211

And I didn´t noticed any difference between Graphic Glitches=1 and =0

I thought that it will fix the first screen line color dots after loaded game on e.g. "Build facilities" but it stayed intact. So - which certain screens will it fix?

The only bug I found is that If I will set Alien Puppy Melee and stun fest to =1 then I have instead of "Stun" (in czech "Omráčit") written "Attack" on any guns of my soldiers..

I will report you more if I will found any more.. But this patcher seems the most stable and most perfect of all! :) I didn´t noticed any crashes or freezes..

eLK

Hi Tycho,

I really don´t understand how the bugfix section works.. I can use bugfix Apply=1 and then some bug fixes is applied - it is visible.. But I don´t know which ones and I would like to decide which ones to be switched on by myself and if I add something from the bug fix section it seems it does not change anything.. E.g. I would like to apply the new fix for the first screenline (I noticed you already fixed it as well in some screens - but still not all.. It is still lasting on "build facilities" but it is fixed on Load/Save Game screen), but I don´t wanna another fixes (or mods - like for example Base defense - new screen - manual firing)..

I really don´t like this Apply multiple fixes.. I know you told it is only for testing.. But can you also make the full version with the all possible option separate for playing? I would like to test you the new fixes but if I like to play I still have to use the old 1.31.9 version - which has many bugs not yet fixed and may cause crashes that this 1.33 does not.

1.33 seems really stable. I played the whole game up to end on Mars with the Alien Pets to be quicker and I had no crash. The only what I noticed that during playing the Terror mission I have heard the men dying after firing to the gas station. But there was no person, just aliens.. It happened twice, but maybe it may cause also that I was playing Alien Pets mod..

eLK

• 4 weeks later...

I've fixed the graphic glitches on all the screen now, including the build facilities screen.

I've also added an AutoSave option. It will use slot 10 of saved games. It saves at the start of each day.

Maximize Aliens has been changed to Battle Difficulty: You can set the difficulty of battles independently. If not set, the game uses the difficulty that you chose on the main menu screen when starting a new game.

The difficulty selection at the main menu screen will apply as the Geoscape difficulty, which sets various parameters on the Strategy Layer. If one wants game play similar to the vanilla game, they should choose easy on the main menu and specify the Battle Difficulty in the INI.

Unless a major glitch is reported, this is the last full version that I am releasing.

The full version is available on ufopaedia.org

• 1 month later...

Hi Tycho,

Firstly, thank you for all your hard work with the extender. I only just came across it within the last week and must say it's very impressive.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or if it's something I'm doing wrong. When I assault a landed UFO I never seem to get any Elerium-115. I can see it when I look at the UFO power source and it shows up on the map too, yet when the mission ends I don't get any. Sometimes during the loadout screen before the mission starts it's on the floor of my Skyranger and I can add it to one of my soldiers, and even see it in their inventory during the mission, yet I still don't receive it at the missions end. Currently to get any I've been saving the game prior to ending my final turn,quit out of the game completely and reload it without using the extender, finish the mission, save when back in the Geoscape, quit out again and reload using the extender. Also, on two missions (both on small UFO's, once with the square one and once the x shaped one) my lead soldier didn't spawn in my Skyranger, instead spawning inside the UFO power source where the Elerium-115 should be. On both occasions I could look around the inside of the ship as my first move, yet wouldn't see any aliens until I moved the soldier off of the power source, though they would see me (and kill me) if I didn't move him.

I'm using the latest version of UFO Extender (1.33) on an unmodded version of Xcom Ufo Defense gold edition under Windows 8.1. I've tried using compatibility mode in every option available to see if that would fix it but to no avail. Just after signing up here, but prior to typing this, I tried the previous version of UFO extender (1.32.8a) and I was able to get the Elerium-115 at missions end.

Edit: I just noticed the 1.33beta link above and tried that with a save I have just prior to ending a landed UFO mission and I get the Elerium-115. The 1.33 version I downloaded from UFOpaedia.org wouldn't give me the Elerium though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tycho,

finally back in action i have to report two issues (v1.33.1 at a new superhuman game).

* Stun anyone does not work (hit option displayed but nothing happens)

* Game crashes after alien use of small launcher and displayed message of soldier

having gone unconsious, e.g.

(crashed at site 0x10007BCB with error 0xC000000005 trying to access 0x01010006,

crashed at site 0x10007BCB with error 0xC000000005 trying to access 0x0100001A).

Hi Tycho,

finally back in action i have to report two issues (v1.33.1 at a new superhuman game).

* Stun anyone does not work (hit option displayed but nothing happens)

* Game crashes after alien use of small launcher and displayed message of soldier

having gone unconsious, e.g.

(crashed at site 0x10007BCB with error 0xC000000005 trying to access 0x01010006,

crashed at site 0x10007BCB with error 0xC000000005 trying to access 0x0100001A).

You're playing at superhuman? Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the information. The errors are stemming from a check in the altered explosion routine to see if you fired a small rocket at a large unit.

I found the problem and think I fixed it but I need to do a few more tests.

I changed the check for enabling the mod to stun anyone but forgot to change the line in the INI: Change "Soldiers can Stun Anyone=" to "Stun Anyone=".

Well, thx for the good wishes though some superhuman pirate.gif soldiers would perhaps help even more...

By the way, i also like to express my gratitude for you not only working on the Extender but always giving such rewarding technical feedback. A feature i miss in many developer threads (yes, of course, we all have a live, too).

By the way, i also like to express my gratitude for you not only working on the Extender but always giving such rewarding technical feedback. A feature i miss in many developer threads (yes, of course, we all have a live, too).

I can imagine that on bigger games, with a lot of reports from many people, it would be hard to provide detailed feedback for each problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tycho,

I am back, still watching your project :)

I was testing the newest version a littlebit.. I still don´t believe it at all .) because I can not completely disable your patches or enable them one by one.. So I can not check which one causing problems to me and which one not... If there is the exact description which bytes is patched by each mod - I think maybe DkMirage meant this by mentioning "technical reports".. It would be possible then to check it better..

I will try to play it from the beginning to see if there is still some other bugs and random crashes or freaky behavior.. I know - I am using modified executable so you can not guarantee me anything, but - please check this:

If you have free hangar and click it to dismantle the facility I see some another text then Hangar - I have it in czech - my personal mod - you know - but I have text from the description of the Lightning or Avanger.

If I click the most top left square I have the Hangar text - that is okay and displays normal, if I click the most top right square I have Avanger description text, the bottom two sqares I have Lightning descriiption instead..

It may also do the same for the original version.. So please check it.. The older version of patcher works for me well, it does just the newest 1.33 and 1.33.1. So it seems the problem is in the patcher.

But I am glad you fixed all the screens - it seems now okay to me on first look..

Hi Tycho,

I am back, still watching your project smile.png

If you have free hangar and click it to dismantle the facility I see some another text then Hangar - I have it in czech - my personal mod - you know - but I have text from the description of the Lightning or Avanger.

If I click the most top left square I have the Hangar text - that is okay and displays normal, if I click the most top right square I have Avanger description text, the bottom two sqares I have Lightning descriiption instead..

It may also do the same for the original version.. So please check it.. The older version of patcher works for me well, it does just the newest 1.33 and 1.33.1. So it seems the problem is in the patcher.

But I am glad you fixed all the screens - it seems now okay to me on first look..

Thanks for the info Elfka! I had to modify the script which generates the message when you want to dismantle a base facility. I forgot to limit the ID number for all parts of a hanger to only 16 when getting the text for a module's name. It's done and will be out in my next release.

• 1 month later...

Here is the next release. I've tried to test it as much as possible but it is still a beta. Please report any errors with the situation where the error occurred and the error message. A saved game where the error happens in a reliable manner is extremely helpful.

In this version:

• Corrected many reported errors.
  • Melee terror units less "indecisive" when closing to attack with Enhanced AI enabled.
  • Alt Craft Research: The technology tree for X-COM craft is changed to allow earlier access to some craft as well as a better pace to new craft availability. Changed in-game UFOpaedia pictures for the Firestorm and Lightning and game icons for the Firestorm to reflect new concepts. New files for pictures and icons are included, with no need to alter files: just add the new ones to the GEOSCAPE folder.
  • Starting at Veteran difficulty:
    • Original capacities for Living Quarter and Laboratory modules are used.
    • Combined Research mod allows the research time among scientists working on the same topic at different bases to be pooled.

[*]AutoEnd Turn mod will end a battle once the last alien has been stunned or killed.

[*]AutoSave mod will save the game at the start of each day. This option uses slot 10 and will save over any game without notice.

[*]Limit Beserk Shots mod will prevent units that are berserk from getting extra Time Units under certain circumstances.

[*]The Anti-Aircraft potion of base defense, at higher difficulties, has been adjusted so that modules are only damage and not destroyed by any UFO return fire.

[*]Unknown alien artifacts and unnecessary items will not be created in a base defense mission.

[*]Players can "transfer" soldiers and items to "storage" to manage who and what is available for a base defense mission.

[*]It is easier to manage aliens in containment than in previous versions.

[*]Starting at Experienced difficulty: A country's financial bonus for good performance has been increased, but the reduction for poor performance remains the same.

[*]The expiration timer on UFO and terror sites has been restored to the original game mechanics. However:

• Terror sites do not end if the player aborts the mission.
    • No score for aborting the mission.
    • Score for saved civilians is higher and no penalty for deaths.
    • Scoring is different at higher difficulties:
      • Terror sites generate an hourly penalty.

[*]Disabled a lot of unnecessary code that handled memory changes when switching between the original strategic and tactical sections to increase program stability.

[2016/01/03] Beta1 notes:

The first release zip file was missing "bass.dll", which would prevent enhanced sounds and mp3 music from working with a fresh installation, and the alternate TAB, PCK, and SPK files for the crafts.

[2016/01/16]Beta2 notes:

• Resolved some issues related to the prep stage of a base defense mission:
    • Disabled some buttons that will cause problems (and those actions wouldn't be available during the middle of an alien attack anyway.)
    • Fixed the issue that choosing another base from the icons at the top of the screen would exit the base editor by accident.
    • The transfer screen will allow the player to choose what items will be available in the following soldier equip phase: Any unwanted items can be "transferred" to elsewhere in the base. This does not work for soldiers.

[*]Fix: The flag that indicates which aliens were selected for transfer is reset if CANCEL is chosen.

[*]Fix: Aliens will be less likely to use grenades on civilians if the Enhanced AI mod is enabled.

[2016/02/07]Beta3 notes:

• TFTD Doors and the DoubleClick mods can be enabled separately.
  • Fixed the Roswell mod so it works correctly and has minimal impact on Geoscape performance.
  • The pre-battle inventory sceen will show the soldier's time units.
  • Added missing stuff to the INI_readme file.
  • Players can now manage which soldiers are available for a base defense mission by "transferring" them.
  • Base Defense will only spawn items that can be used or are useful in the mission: Unknown alien artifacts and items, like flares, will be skipped when items are created for the battle.
  • The transfer screen in the base defense scenario will only display soldiers and items that can be used. All usable alien weapons start marked for transfer.
  • Aliens in containment can be managed through the menu that is accessed by clicking on a containment module and choosing the 'view' button.

[2016/02/29]Beta4 notes:

• Added a line to the containment management screen that will show the income for aliens removed.
  • Removed code that prevented live aliens of a particular race and/or rank from being captured after research on them was completed.
  • Large alien units on hills or raised locations (like the Skyranger ramp) will maintain the proper height after they finish moving.
  • Some reported problems resolved.
  • Hyperwave info should now be added to an already detected UFO, once it reaches the range of a Decoder. The information will be available for as long as the UFO is detected, even if it does not stay in range of a decoder.
  • Hyperwave Decoders detect UFOs only at Easy difficulty. Starting at Experienced diffculty, radars are necessary.
  • Removing the last radar from a base will stop the base from detecting craft.

[2016/02/29]Difficulty settings:

• The document has been updated.

Extender Difficulty Settings1.34.txt

UFOextender1.34beta4.zip

• 2 weeks later...
With more experimentation, I've figured out how the transfer dialog creates its list of items. I've been able to modify it so that only those items I want can be displayed during the defense preparations of a base defense mission. I have also been able to allow soldiers to be "transferred" so that they would not be available. My question to everyone, is that really necessary? Or would anyone care?