AMX

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

I disagree with this one:

View PostTycho, on 24 March 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept).
That would make sense if progress were tracked more accurately and/or they were actually individuls with varying skill levels (as in Apoc).
But with manufacturing only actually happening once per hour, and research only once per DAY; and the scientists and engineers being represented by their quantity, rather than as separate persons; I think it's save to assume we're dealing with an averaged value already.
So they are "really" working, say, 8 hours per day with 30 minutes lunch and 3 smoking breaks of 5 minutes each, but that's abstracted away and we only have the average output of the number of people assigned to the project.

#22 ecitmachina

ecitmachina

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

Man, I love this thing, but in 1.30 I cannot get the hotkeys in battlescape to work. If I use the earlier version of it, the hotkeys still work. I tried what that other guy said, loading an old game and starting a new one but I just can't get them to work. Geoscape hotkeys work fine...

But seriously, minus that one issue I am so in love with this thing. It's brought so much life back into the game for me, just playing around with it to see how it changes the game mechanics. Know thy enemy RULES. If theres any way I can get the hotkeys to work in battlescape, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved!

Edit: Didn't even see these...

* Research on key alien technologies require more input from appropriate alien race/ranks: after scientists research an artifact, they need to "consult" with an engineer (or a specific race engineer) to unlock the final elements which allows production and the next level of research.

I like these kinds of tweaks. Like the new item rules, know thy enemy, bloodthirst. It makes the game interesting again.

* Tweak the score system of terror missions to prevent the land/immediate dustoff exploit to reduce the penalty: Base negative score for the event occuring at all with a higher bonus for each civilian saved.
* Tweak the AI decision process to make aliens give a higher priority to attacking XCOM agents than civilians.

I am ALL ABOUT THESE.

* Tweaked Alien Ai parameters to make aliens use grenade a little more when appropriate.

How would you tweak it? Not that I love it as it is now, just curious.

* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept)

These are the ones I like. Tweaks on the actual strategy mechanics of the game... I say throw them all in the next release and let people test them out. I like how I can just flip them on and off. Thanks again!

#23 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

v1.30 is so hard in superhuman that my soldiers are bullied and kicked around by the aliens. Ironman is impossible, because after losing two battles the game ends. Also losing two skyrangers in a row in "Ironman" with full commando crew essentially ends the game.

Randomness is very good in this version, different scenarios play out on reloading the game. Happenings do really feel genuine.

There is precious gameplay value with this super-hardness. It feels like real life chances against superior opponents. Only XCOM provides a Load Game.

#24 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

What I would like to see: a more dark XCOM game in 3D

A NEW XCOM IMPLEMENTATION with UNITY 3D:

- Gory animations from Fallout 1. and 2.
- Superhuman or near difficulty for hardcore veterans
- Absolutely frightening Night Missions and excellent mood / coloring created by pro Art Direction: serious Crap-filter is required here only the best concepts are accepted, no compromises!
- Feeling of being total abandoned in all areas: my XCOM is the only force and is almost hopelessly weak at the beginning.
- Probably emphasize alien massacres & destruction at Terror Sites where XCOM was beaten and had to fled from
- Sigh of relief if the aliens leave XCOM alone for a week so soldiers can regenerate at the base and some research can be done.
- Government Support Warehouses are being Raided by Aliens, important leaders kidnapped and eaten.
- Aliens hijacking satellite feeds and showing human prisoners-camps being "overrun" by Chryssalids and new berserker (mindless) monster units are set free in these death-camps mincing up people shown live on TV then signal is lost.
- Aliens beginning terraforming Earth if multiple missions are lost at a given area becoming "sector lost".
- Any land areas lost can be won back by super-hard fighting
- New animations focusing on visceral battle: lot of death and attack animations with awesome sound effects so battles remain interesting.
- MOD tools: best maps make their way into the game and can be played in the official version
- New ways of battle in the skies:  old UFO DEFENSE serving as a basis and trying to enhance that in a way that makes it cooler and better looking, more dramatic, more exiting.

#25 Echelon117

Echelon117

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostTycho, on 24 March 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

I've been playing around with certain ideas and think feedback from those who might be interested would help:

* Research on key alien technologies require more input from appropriate alien race/ranks: after scientists research an artifact, they need to "consult" with an engineer (or a specific race engineer) to unlock the final elements which allows production and the next level of research.
* Tweak the score system of terror missions to prevent the land/immediate dustoff exploit to reduce the penalty: Base negative score for the event occuring at all with a higher bonus for each civilian saved.
* Tweak the AI decision process to make aliens give a higher priority to attacking XCOM agents than civilians.
* Tweaked Alien Ai parameters to make aliens use grenade a little more when appropriate.
* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept).

Just a few idea that I think might be possible after looking at the code.  Is there any interest in these types of mods?

I personally love the idea of the new research difficulty. It would require you actually using a Mind Probe to source Engineers to capture.. That would be brilliant. Anything to make the game harder!

The realistic utilizing of scientists/engineers would also be great. Basically these are great ideas. And I see no problem in making them and adding to the next versions, those that don't like the idea can simply not choose to select that option. Simple!

#26 Echelon117

Echelon117

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

A couple of my own mod ideas/alterations to a few already existing features:

I have a couple of mod ideas that I would love to see made and possibly incorporated into UFO Extender or XcomUtil.

1.) Starting base: No workshop or laboratory along with no scientists and engineers, you must build and hire these out of your money.

2.) Alien Technology Research: "You cannot research Plasma Rifle until you have researched Plasma Pistol!" You cannot research Heavy Plasma until you have researched Plasma Rifle!" So it is a slower progression up the ranks of plasma technology as each weapon unlocks the technological secrets to its more advanced successor.
"You cannot reproduce Alien Alloys until you have researched Alien Power Source". (For the moulding of high stregth alien alloy)
"You cannot research any elerium using technology until you first research elerium."

So if you are using XcomUtil and have the "Alternative Laser Weapons" enabled Lasers now require Elerium-115.. So rather than having laser weapons right off the bat to research you must first research Elerium-115

3.) Alien Arsenal. I think that Sectoids should only carry plasma pistols, especially on simple reconnaissance missions.
The idea of a 4 foot Sectoid carrying a Heavy Plasma that is bigger than he is seems silly. (Increasing plasma pistol damage might be needed here to balance out game play).
Floaters should carry mainly pistols and the occasional Plasma Rifle, they also appear to be too weak to be lugging around enormous Heavy Plasma guns.
Snakeman would carry Rifles.

I think the only two races that should ever have heavy plasmas are the Mutons and Ethereals. Mutons for the obvious reason that they are massive beings, Ethereals because their mind over matter psionic powers can assist their atrophied muscles.

By the time you encounter the Muton you'll only still be limited to average weapons technology while they hold the big guns. This will FORCE you to be much more strategic if you want to bring one of these green skinned behemoths down. Have you ever tried killing a Muton with a laser rifle or even a standard rifle on Superhuman? Very, very difficult.

The other idea behind this is that you won't encounter the best and most destructible weapons from mission one. You'll be forced to take on much larger UFO's and bases to acquire the best technology.

4.) Alien weapons self dustruct: Alien weapons can only be recovered when an alien is captured alive. So, this seems to already be implemented in the "EU2012 Item Rules" mod, however it should be a 100% chance that the weapons self dustruct when the Alien is killed.

5.) Realistic UFO Interceptions: UFOs are too easy to shoot down.. Smaller craft go down too easy from missiles and their defences are very weak. Why would an agressive Alien species here to invade equip their ships with very weak weapons? A shot from a UFO, even a smaller one, should inflict great damage on the default interceptor craft.
Perhaps 3 successful shots maximum from smaller and medium UFOs should destroy the Interceptor. This gives more emphasis on researching and upgrading aircraft, a more cautious approach to dealing with UFOs, and is simply realistic! Were talking Super advanced technology vs bows and arrows here!

6.) Ultimate XCOM Goal: In order to gain direct information about the Alien homebase on Cydonia you MUST capture an Ethereal Commander. Any other ranking alien species simply won't or can't part with that information.

#27 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

using  Battlescape Delay=20  or any number in UFOExtender.ini switches off detection of ALL hotkeys in v1.30. Please revise.

;Battlescape Delay=20   commenting out the line restores the working of hotkeys.

#28 blackops

blackops

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi Tycho, thank you for your awesome mod! I'm back for more X-COM and I'm glad you're still updating your mod!! I'm excited to play X-COM again, but I'm curious of what I need to do about the .INI file. I'm following these instructions:

http://www.ufopaedia...(1994)_Extended

I'm asking because I'm at the part where I download the .INI file from here:

http://www.ufopaedia...ExtendedINI.txt

Instructions want me to replace the .INI file from the latest UFOLoader.zip with the .INI on that page. So I'm replacing the newest .INI file with an old .INI file from 30 August 2012? That's what the installation instructions have me doing.

Please Tycho or someone help me, I want to play this right now!! I also notice the latest .INI from the UFOLoader.zip has all your latest features. Do I have to use the older .INI because the latest features are bugged? That's the only thing I can think of if that page I'm going by isn't outdated.

#29 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

The INI on the UFO_Extended page is out of date.  Use the INI that comes with the zip.  The most important features to set are  the correct video options.  Most people need to use D3D these days. Use a simple text editor (notepad) to open and set any options. Its up to you, if you want to play in a window or with HQ4X enabled.   Some options are already enabled.  Check the wiki page for the installation instructions and details on all the mods: http://www.ufopaedia...tle=UFOextender.

#30 blackops

blackops

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for your help, Tycho! I'm enjoying the new features ;)

I have a minor problem. I enabled HQx4 in the .INI file, started the game, and a window pops up telling me I can't play with HQx4 turned on, so it disables HQx4 and the game starts. It said something along the lines of "Cannot texture HQx4 in some low resolution. Disabling HQx4." I press continue and enjoy anyways.
The res listed isn't what my Laptop is rolling with so I have no idea how to fix this. I'd love to try out HQx4 and see if it's a completely new look.

Thanks for your continued support of this amazing mod Tycho!

#31 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

View Postmercy, on 12 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

using  Battlescape Delay=20  or any number in UFOExtender.ini switches off detection of ALL hotkeys in v1.30. Please revise.

;Battlescape Delay=20   commenting out the line restores the working of hotkeys.

Thanks for the report.  I found the source of the problem and will have a fix in the next release.

#32 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostTycho, on 18 May 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the report.  I found the source of the problem and will have a fix in the next release.

Good job! Can't wait till the next release. Your AI implementation is the best, thank You!!

#33 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

View Postmercy, on 23 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Good job! Can't wait till the next release. Your AI implementation is the best, thank You!!

Thanks for the compliment but I really can't take the credit for the AI changes. Kyrub was gracious enough to allow me to implement some of his code in the Extender.

View Postblackops, on 14 May 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

Thanks for your help, Tycho! I'm enjoying the new features Posted Image

I have a minor problem. I enabled HQx4 in the .INI file, started the game, and a window pops up telling me I can't play with HQx4 turned on, so it disables HQx4 and the game starts. It said something along the lines of "Cannot texture HQx4 in some low resolution. Disabling HQx4." I press continue and enjoy anyways.
The res listed isn't what my Laptop is rolling with so I have no idea how to fix this. I'd love to try out HQx4 and see if it's a completely new look.

Thanks for your continued support of this amazing mod Tycho!

That code was written by Seb and I still don't understand it completely myself.  I have the same problem as well.  I use an old laptop (wasn't old when I bought it) and can't implement HQ4X.  I've tinkered with the code but don't have a solution as yet.

#34 blackops

blackops

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostTycho, on 24 May 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

That code was written by Seb and I still don't understand it completely myself.  I have the same problem as well.  I use an old laptop (wasn't old when I bought it) and can't implement HQ4X.  I've tinkered with the code but don't have a solution as yet.
That's all right, I'm fine with vanilla. So what's going on with the next update? Can you give us a little peak on new features you're working on?

#35 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Waiting patiently. The AI is really good in this one. That makes UFO Extender a top notch dramatic experience. Plus now that in the upcoming 1.31 the Battlescape animations will be nice slower it will be a heaven to play. I like all additions, especially the awesome shortcuts and firing speed is really good, allowing for fast, cruel gameplay.

#36 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Postblackops, on 26 May 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

That's all right, I'm fine with vanilla. So what's going on with the next update? Can you give us a little peak on new features you're working on?
  • fixes for all the reported problems.
  • A couple of small changes to the AI which will make the aliens a little more aggressive in using grenades and change the behavior of some aliens in regards to Terror Missions.
  • Fixed the smoke propagation routine so that all walls can block smoke properly.
  • Enough people are interested in the limits on engineers and scientists that I'll see about that.
  • an alternate tech tree that requires engineers to be interrogated to achieve some of the major technologies.

#37 Echelon117

Echelon117

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostTycho, on 03 June 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

• Enough people are interested in the limits on engineers and scientists that I'll see about that
  • an alternate tech tree that requires engineers to be interrogated to achieve some of the major technologies.

Brilliant!

#38 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostTycho, on 03 June 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

• fixes for all the reported problems.
  • A couple of small changes to the AI which will make the aliens a little more aggressive in using grenades and change the behavior of some aliens in regards to Terror Missions.
  • Fixed the smoke propagation routine so that all walls can block smoke properly.
  • Enough people are interested in the limits on engineers and scientists that I'll see about that.

These are great changes! Takes UFO Extender to a new level. Waiting patiently and excited!

#39 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

just a quick update on features for the next release:
  • Fixed the smoke and fire propagation routines so that all appropriate walls will block these effects.  I've also fixed the explosion routine so that fire and smoke are blocked by walls.  This also fixes the problem with a blaster bomb's explosion extending past the north and west walls as well.
  • Fixed the crash when researching a medic.
  • Closed the immediate-abort exploit on Terror Missions: The majority of the score is focused on the civilians.  Now, they are each worth 1008 / (num of civilians spawned).
  • A few AI improvements in regards to grenade use and behavior in Terror missions.
  • Human limits for research and production: Scientiests and engineers work in twelve hours shifts. The assignment screen will assign two people per mouse click but only one space will be needed between them.

Edited by Tycho, 07 July 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#40 mercy

mercy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

You have done a lot of work, I'm impressed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users