A Different Space

Thorondor

Who could tell salvation might be found in The Pit. We had heard it whispered in dark places, but now there is no denying that it exists and you may well want to take your turn exploring this new rogue-like set in Kerberos Productions' Sword of the Stars universe.

A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains...a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka.

If 'The Pit' really exists, there might be something left. Something that will give your doctors a fighting chance at the cure.

All you know for sure is that every expedition into those mountains has failed to return...

And nothing sows death like the Suul'ka.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a fun, fast, light-hearted turn-based RPG, where the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-diving games meets the sci-fi Sword of the Stars universe, where the question to ask isn't "Did you make it to the end?" so much as "How far did you make it into The Pit before the monsters got you?"

Features:

• 3 Characters to choose from... Marine, Pilot and Engineer!

• 30 Levels of ancient evil science between you and the cure!

• Improve your character and increase your skills as you try and find a way to survive the depths.

• Dozens and dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe!

• Over 50 weapons and armors with a variety of special effects including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor!

• Randomized augmentation effects (for your equipment... and for you!) make each game unique.

• Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.

• Over 100 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to ancient exotic tech.

• Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help - or maybe hinder - your progress.

• Discover and decipher hidden messages, crafting recipes, and pieces of Sword of the Stars lore!

• Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation and of course... MONSTERS.

Will you go the distance or fall short of your true potential? The sooner you gather your resolve and set out the better, as The Pit can now be found at GamersGate and there's currently a launch discount of 10% off.

Special thanks to silencer_pl at our forums for digging this up.

• 1 month later...

It's called The Mind Games and it's the freshly announced expansion to Sword of the Stars: The Pit.

Features:

• 2 New Playable Characters to choose from! In addition to the original game's Marine, Pilot and Engineer characters, a new Human Psion is added and the first playable alien - the Tarka Ranger

• 10 New Floors of ancient, evil science to beat - in addition to the original 30

• New Room Types, including Open Artificial Areas

• New traps, new weapons, new items, and new recipes

• New game mechanics, including Psionic Powers

• New Psionic monsters and enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe

• 2 New Play Modes, “Infinite” Mode and “Seriously?” Mode - a Level of Difficulty Beyond Insane

• Expanded Meta-Game aspects, including the Ability to “Bank” XP and spare items during one session and start the next run of the game on a deeper level, with your “Banked” starting equipment.

::

The (...) expansion (...) will be released as a paid Beta in June of 2013, to allow the developers to incorporate player feedback. The finished product will be released to a general audience in July of 2013.

• 6 months later...

https://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/subs/33764/header_586x192.jpg

Kerberos Productions has announced they are releasing the Sword of the Stars:The Pit - Gold Edition bundle in celebration of the company's 10th Anniversary today:

The new Gold Edition bundle will give players of the popular sci-fi roguelike the chance to play three new alien classes, including the insectoid Hiver Warrior, the cetacean Liir Seeker, and the avian Morrigi Striker! And of course, new playable characters will also mean new weapons, items, crafting recipes, and monsters to encounter throughout the game.

Besides the series bundle, experienced players will be able to pick up all the new content with the Gold Edition DLC.

Now available on Steam.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/233700/header.jpg

New DLC announced:

The Pit: Juggernaut introduces Pit fans to a new playable character, the Tarka mercenary, Tor. The Juggernaut DLC adds new weapons and weapon variants, new items, new monsters, and over 50 new craft recipes, including ammo conversion recipes! Found lots of ammo, but for the wrong gun? There's a recipe for that. The addition of Tor brings the number of player characters in the series to 11.

To be made available today on Steam and later through other outlets.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2f0e887111bc258289d5d694f7ca3632.jpg

The Pit: Necromancer DLC has now been revealed:

Take control of Azraeus the Defiler, a servant of The Immortal, one of the ancient and mysterious Suul'ka! Raised from the dead and promised new life in a new body, Azraeus is determined to fulfill his mission: clear out The Pit and steal the cure to the Xombie plague. As dangerous as any Horde Zuul warrior, Azraeus is a unique Character with powers and abilities never before seen in the Pit.

He is a... NECROMANCER!

Azraeus brings new gameplay to the series, including the ability to raise undead minions to fight for you as well as a reliance on psionic power to live, but being immune to hunger, disease, and poison in return!

Available now.

The one I wrote about in the review.

As it is, the recipes stay the same every time you play, and next time you play all previously discovered recipes are stored in your personal database. What this means is that the first time you play, your chances of winning are more or less zero. Through several playthroughs you'll accumulate enough crafting knowledge to actually have a chance. To make it even more complicated, at easy level you'll only have access to some of the recipes.

As a strategy player one wants a good strategy to work. Always. Unless countered, naturally. I'm all for learning how to use the tools at hand while playing, but not by simply not having the required information at all.

I didn't think I was so vague in the review... Sorry about that.

I don't mind learning and remembering recipes. That part is superb. I mind that it happens through multiple games! So, the first (few) time(s) I won't even remotely be able to play through the game, as I have no (or little) recipes. Unless there is an incredibly lucky set of events randomly giving you all the best non-crafted items in the same playthrough etc. Only after playing several times will you have a shot at winning. Which is an incredible flaw in my view.

What made this all the more obvious are the lockers introduced into the game later on that actually let you store the desired items for later use - and later means in later playthroughs, not a moment later. Which led to people doing "item runs", only playing so that they would store a desired item into the locker and access it later, when they decide to make a real effort to win. You're not obliged to do it, naturally, but this only exposes the severity of the design flaw.

This is something that should never be in a game that calls itself roguelike. Never. In a roguelike your game is completely independent from any previous or future playthrough.

Naturally, you don't need to see it as a bad thing. I'm sure some even like this interconnectivity of the gameplays, but I don't. I just can't make myself play a game that I don't even have a shot at yet. Not because I'd suck at it, but because the game won't let me.

Anyway, I may return to The Pit at some point, with all items known from Wiki. Screw the intended play, it just sucks. With all the recipes, it may even be fun.

I didn't think I was so vague in the review... Sorry about that.

I don't mind learning and remembering recipes. That part is superb. I mind that it happens through multiple games! So, the first (few) time(s) I won't even remotely be able to play through the game, as I have no (or little) recipes. Unless there is an incredibly lucky set of events randomly giving you all the best non-crafted items in the same playthrough etc. Only after playing several times will you have a shot at winning. Which is an incredible flaw in my view.

So you say, that you want to complete roguelike on the first try. That's not how this genre works.

What made this all the more obvious are the lockers introduced into the game later on that actually let you store the desired items for later use - and later means in later playthroughs, not a moment later. Which led to people doing "item runs", only playing so that they would store a desired item into the locker and access it later, when they decide to make a real effort to win. You're not obliged to do it, naturally, but this only exposes the severity of the design flaw.

Lockers were introduced with new difficulty level called insane. Try to finish that one in one go. You won't that is why you need few runs to gather items.

This is something that should never be in a game that calls itself roguelike. Never. In a roguelike your game is completely independent from any previous or future playthrough.

Because every game must stick to the plan of the genre and cannot add something of its own? I once again dare you to plain on hard or insane. Recepies won't save you. Item runs won't save you too. You are just too much negatively set.

So you say, that you want to complete roguelike on the first try. That's not how this genre works.

It is not that I want to complete it on the first try. I want TO BE ABLE TO. Naturally I expect a new game to chew me up and spit me out because I don't KNOW how to play it well. With The Pit, you can be goddamn master of playing, hundreds of hours of experience, and you won't stand a chance in hell in the first few runs unless you have the recipes up your sleeve.

THAT is NOT how the genre works. The roguelike genre works the same way every game. PERIOD.

Lockers were introduced with new difficulty level called insane. Try to finish that one in one go. You won't that is why you need few runs to gather items.

EXACTLY. Why introduce a level that can't be finished without such crappy, basically cheating from a roguelike viewpoint, mechanics?!

Because every game must stick to the plan of the genre and cannot add something of its own? I once again dare you to plain on hard or insane. Recepies won't save you. Item runs won't save you too. You are just too much negatively set.

Silencer, AGAIN, I don't mind a game being really really hard. I'm glad you like the game, I really am. You're definitely not the only one and that is even better. I want Kerberos to succeed and tackle bigger projects. But there is no way I'm ever going to call The Pit a true roguelike or play it as designed. I don't have the time for that.