Research taking longer? Or is it just me?

Sorbicol

I've been trying to get through a classic Ironman playthrough since last month with minimal success. I've got the second wave DLC and the Slingshot DLC installed and it seems the flavour of the game has changed. It seems to me to be taking much much longer to get things researched? In fact so much so that using an abduction missions for scientists is much more essential, as is stunning some aliens for the research credits to be able to reach the alien base mission before Mutons arrive in numbers and you are rapidly outgunned.

The flow of the game certain feels different at any rate. Anyone else noted this? It's taken me 5 attempts to get to the alien base mission (I'm there now) with all basic armour and laser weapons unlocked, and my last 3 missions have been touch and go - I've lost a lot of veterans thanks to very accurate one shot kill fire from Mutons. I don't remember my previous classic play through before Christmas being quite so hard!

The Slingshot DLC is a nice addition but not worth £5 I note. I also have a new crash to desktop if more than one soldier takes a reaction fire shot with laser weapons. This is both a blessing and a curse!

I've been trying to get through a classic Ironman playthrough since last month with minimal success. I've got the second wave DLC and the Slingshot DLC installed and it seems the flavour of the game has changed. It seems to me to be taking much much longer to get things researched? In fact so much so that using an abduction missions for scientists is much more essential, as is stunning some aliens for the research credits to be able to reach the alien base mission before Mutons arrive in numbers and you are rapidly outgunned.

The flow of the game certain feels different at any rate. Anyone else noted this? It's taken me 5 attempts to get to the alien base mission (I'm there now) with all basic armour and laser weapons unlocked, and my last 3 missions have been touch and go - I've lost a lot of veterans thanks to very accurate one shot kill fire from Mutons. I don't remember my previous classic play through before Christmas being quite so hard!

The Slingshot DLC is a nice addition but not worth £5 I note. I also have a new crash to desktop if more than one soldier takes a reaction fire shot with laser weapons. This is both a blessing and a curse!

Are you playing with Marathon (Second Wave)? If so, everything takes double or thrice normal time to build/heal/research.

No not playing any second wave options. Survived the Alien base mission, now holding on desperately after an horrific supply barge mission cost me all my best squad. Went round the corner and walked into one sectopod, 4 drones, 2 sectoid commanders and 3 heavy floaters. Next turn 4 mutons, 2 Berserkers, 2 muton elite, 1 cyber disk and 3 more heavy floaters turned up.

Unsurprisingly I didn't survive. They really need to sort having the emergency dust area where it should be. It sure as hell wasn't where I started from!

Unsurprisingly I didn't survive. They really need to sort having the emergency dust area where it should be. It sure as hell wasn't where I started from!

One thing that may help you is the EU2012 map section of the UFOPaedia since it contains images of all the maps in full. Handy to try to figure out where the LZ is. Another trick seems to be to save and reload (if the LZ disappeared from where it was meanwhile)https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/3/36/Supply_Ship_Forest_Grove_1_%28EU2012%29.png