A True Heir To Be

Thorondor

Worlds of Magic

Long has the wait been for a true Master of Magic. But now, finally, championed by Wastelands Interactive, a challenger emerges, setting out to boldly reclaim that proud lineage.

Wastelands Interactive is pleased to announce the development of Worlds of Magic, a genuine spiritual successor of Simtex's 4X Master of Magic.

We hear from Director Leszek Lisowski:

Worlds of Magic is the game we always wanted to make, a true recreation of Master of Magic. For all the years in game development creating such game was my dream. When we have meet with Aaron and realized that we have got similar idea and destination I knew this gonna be something special. We will do our best and work hard to make a game which will give the 90's feeling in terms of gameplay but in an appropriate presentation.

Here are the arcane cornerstones upon which it shall be cast:

• 4X deep playability - Explore, exploit, expand and exterminate in a world of magic, diplomacy,  and war.

• D20 System - Units, Spells and Heroes will all draw from the D20 rule set during the battles.

• Hero Units -  Recruit heroes to lead your forces into battle.

• Twelve Spell Circles - Focus on depth in a single school, or gain the ability to cast incredibly diverse spells.

• Unique Races - Each race offers the ability to create exclusive units, with peculiarities, weaknesses and strenghts, but also balanced.

• Settle Powerful Cities - Control production, research and even magical power, in order to create powerful armies.

• Multiple victory conditions - War is not the only way to conquer the world; make treaties, establish trade routes or use peace as a tool for domination.

Good omens these, for that which is to come, even if the time of casting itself is yet uncertain.

I think it significant that there are so many 're-create classic old games' projects nowadays. Many years ago I coined the phrase 'golden balance' to describe a game that was very playable and just lots of fun.

It might be a game where you could learn, say, four spells. Of course the sequel turns out and you can learn eight spells. Or sixteen, better yet! No, not really. I think most games these days come nowhere near that 'golden balance' of playability. That's why this pre-occupation with twenty year old games that WERE FUN.

We're nostalgic for having fun playing a game. That's a sad commentary on today's game developers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/265970/ss_c59996f35798a1f5e5c4882d198773686dc1c48a.600x338.jpg

::

World of Magic's release date has now been set to the 19th of March. Celebratory discount of 25% off on the current Early Access build to last until January 26th. Free 80-page artbook also available (direct link) to everyone.