Space 4X Boardgame in development

Okim

Hi everyone.

Some of you might know something about me - i`m the one responsible for several mods for SOTS, UFO AS, Silent Storm, Starsector (Starfarer). I came here to present my new project that is nearing its completition - a Space 4X tabletop turn-based strategy game heavily influenced by MOO series. If things will turn out good - this project will see the world and probably become international (i`m very interested in it, trust me).

All info about the game and campaign on IndieGoGo can be found here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lords-of-the-stars-board-game/x/2371297

This project needs some support. If you know an artist that can and is willing to contribute to the development of the game - please contact me. I`m open to price/time discussions. The only art that i need is 8 race pictures and a bunch of unique planet images. All other stuff (like ship tokens, cards, rules, system hexes etc) is already finished. The other thing that this game needs - is a unique name. I haven`t bothered with it while the game was in active playtesting, but now i really don`t even have any concepts for its name.

P.S.: i`m not sure if this is an appropriate place for such posts, so moderators please move it where it fits better.

P.P.S: please for any suggestions, questions and discussion use the site`s forum or PM me here.

Thanks to all in advance!

Thanks.

I want to note that i`ve found a nice utility that allows to create fine quality planet images really really fast. So this part of 'this game needs...' is now completed. Now to find someone who can draw me 8 races (for a reward ofcause) - is a priority.

EDITED:

The program i used is called LunarCell. Here are some examples of what it allows to create:

https://okim.nickersonm.com/okim-studios/img/planet04.png

https://okim.nickersonm.com/okim-studios/img/planet01.png

It is paused for now. But after i got help from Blunterll in the form of two mini mods regarding animations i`m once again interested in it. But no work will be done with it until i do something with this table top game (release it if everything will be all right or bury it if things will get not as i expect).

And BTW - SS mod will probably end up as a multiplayer mod with several maps, unique factions and weapons for two different sides (plus selectable PKs to roam in).

Unfortunately, kick-starter is available only for US and UK companies. There are other similar sites, but only KS would bring the large sums (due to its popularity and well known reputation) that i will eventually need to set up on-line shop and start shipping the game.

I just need to be sure that people are interested in this game. And without kick starter it would be difficult to figure out...

Just finished a loooong play test. This game need some balancing and tweaks, but it is playable to the game end.

I can post some shots (made from mobile, so in a bit bad quality) from this play if you are interested.

Hi.

I need your help with figuring out a proper name for this game. Current working name is "Star Lords", but i suspect that this name is already used somewhere by someone.

There were also such names as: Deep Space, Distant Space and Mysteries of Space.

Name should have a connection to the game - either to one of its 4x or to the Ancients that once ruled this galaxy (and left pretty lots of various things for the players to loot). I remind you that this game is heavy on random encounters, random events, has lots of techs to discover, multiple stars to explore and massive forces to control.

Here are some options from me, Okim:

• Space, Your Destination

• Among The Stars

• Ancient Space

::

On the subject of naming, I've heard Stardock's Mr.Brad Wardell say not long ago that he regrets the choice he made for his game, Elemental, as the Google search results have proven not to be an irrelevant factor, so keep that in mind too when considering the use of more familiar names from old 4X classics.

Thanks. Quite a list of names to choose from.

We need to stick 'Lords' or 'Masters' somewhere in the name to make a name a bit closer to what the game is about. Among the stars is my favourite one, but it sound a bit dull when translated into Russian.

Currently we are using Star Lords as a working name. It sounds good both in Russian and in English and represents a struggle for domination over the stars (and stars are in fact a major part of the game). This name is also neutral and can be easily used with future addons. For example: Star Lords: Vengeance or Star Lords: Age of Peace smile.png

Hm. Star Lords - was the original (working) name of Master of Orion. And Star Lords is a new PC game that is going to be released this year.

And there was a Stellar Conquest tabletop game a long time ago (70th) that sounds very similar to my board game. Interesting. I wonder if this game can be found these days?

Please, check the planet cards and tell me what you think:

https://electrotender.ru/SF/planets.jpg

There are 3 types of planets in the game:

FERTILE - the only ones that can produce food. They are quite rare - just only 8 in game.

DEAD - mediocre planets, colonies on those consume food per turn. Those are very common.

EXTREME - rare mineral rich planets, colonies on those consume food per turn. You need a special tech to settle on those planets.

Homeworlds are considered to be FERTILE type planets.

Ignito has two icons on its card, the green one shows that it produces a few extra minerals, the red one means that it is guarded. There are 12 planets (out of 31) that have some bonuses that make them better than others. All of those are being guarded by a random enemy.

Earth has a star mark that means that its a starting colony (capitol) for Humans.

There are different types of colonies that players can choose from. Each colony can produce only one of the resources: agricultural produces food, industrial produces minerals, research produces science. Each player has a capitol that produces everything simultaneously and counts as being a colony of each type.

EDITED: oh, please ignore that ERATH name for our beloved home. Its a typo ))

The cards look really nice and understandable. But... WHY CORN?! I want BACON! ;)

Does +2 food production means that this planet can support itself and one additional with -1 (so each planet needs 1) or can you live on a 0 level, so +2 means that it can support itself and TWO with -1?

BTW, those what are those graphs supposed to mean? I guess now these are placeholders, but what will they mean in the end product?

I don't know if dead world, fertile world and extreme world are good names. In Endless Space they are called - Barren, Terran, Volcanic (or Lava). Plus I think you should start with Upper Case?

Ingito - strange name for a planet - but what do I know ;)

Also shouldn't the fertile world have more food like 'extreme' world has more production?

I may be picky, but what do that graphs represent are they some kind of signatures ? Because if graphs - shouldn't they be different for each planet type ?

Graphs are just decors. An element of design (the whole card is supposed to look like a scanner of sorts).

Colonies on fertile worlds always support themselves regardless of their type. 2 food means that you will be able to support 2 dead/extreme worlds. There are 4 (out of 8) fertile worlds that have extra +1 to food (an extra colony to support). Plus there is a tech that boosts food production and a race that harvests more food.

Planet type names are not yet final. The game is influenced by MOO, so i probably will switch to terran/barren/radiated in final version.

Those cards i`ve shown are the only ones that are in English. In Russian things sound much better, believe me smile.png

Well but as you show Homeworld has better food production or whatever than a fertile world which is odd to me.

I bet that in Russian some phrases sound better, same would be for Polish that some phrases sound better, but if you are targeting other markets than Russian you should think more in English than Russian.