XCom Enemy Unknown Elite Soldier Pack - I'm completely baffled

Misotu

Sorry to trouble you guys with this but I've been trying unsuccessfully to obtain a response that makes sense from Steam for ages now. They are overwhelmed and keep sending me canned responses that only vaguely relate to the issue I have. I really hope someone here has seen something similar and solved it.

My son bought me the physical game for Christmas and it included the Elite Soldier Pack. I've installed the game fine and am happily playing with no problems, but when I installed it I wasn't given any opportunity to enter the keycode for the Elite Soldier Pack, although it said on the flyer that this would happen once I had installed the full game. I've hunted around the menus but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to enter this code!

I contacted Steam and after 2 weeks they replied to say "the pre-order bonuses are automatically incorporated into your account" and the elite stuff can be accessed when you complete the tutorial. Well, I checked my Steam Library - there's no DLC associated with this game. I've completed the tutorial and there's definitely no ability to change the colour of my armour, which I understand is what you get?

I raised this ticket on 1 January and am no nearer a solution - their latest reply is another holding response. So I'd be really happy if someone can offer any suggestions! It's not a big deal, I can still play the game, but I'd like the extra features.

Hi Misotu,

I believe the keycode must be entered separately, as if the pack was another product itself.

In Steam go to the Games menu, Product Activation and follow the steps until you reach the bit where you can enter the Product Key.

::

Hopefully, that should solve your problem.

I'm going to contradict Thorondor there. I have the steam version of the game (pre-ordered) and the Elite Soldier Pack should be incorporated into the main game.

If in the soldier customisation screen you can change hairstyles (including the original game's "Guile" hairstyle) or give them helmets, and change the armour style then you have the pack installed and enabled

The elite soldier pack is pretty limited to be honest - it's just cosmetic changes to your soldiers and their armour - so it's pretty easy to miss that you have installed and working. Too me a while to work it out too!

Sure, the Steam pre-order version should see the content automatically added, but I Steam pre-orders aren't "physical" copies. The special edition boxes also include the ESP, and most boxes, best I can make out, are special edition ones.

Eg, with my box, both codes are stickered onto the back of the game manual. I followed the same steps as listed by Thor after installing the game proper to enter the ESP one.

Hello, thanks very much for the replies. I knew you guys would know what to do yes.gif

My situation is the one described by Thorondor and Bomb Bloke - physical product, physical keycode. I followed the steps suggested by Thorondor and it worked perfectly, first time, in seconds. I can colour my armour and I have a whole set of new head gear. Hoorah!

Undying gratitude etc - I would never have worked this out on my own and Steam still haven't been able to give me this solution, which is a bit desperate really. I know the ELP doesn't give you anything really exciting but, like Hobbes, I really, really want the ability to colour my armour. I've been doing the same job with hair colour up to now - but I think my guys will be relieved to ditch the bright pink and green in favour of something quieter and :ahem: less girly. biggrin.png

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Yup. I'm totally into all-over colour coding yes.gif Now I'm playing a Classic game voluntary Iron Man. It's only my second classic game and I need to get used to losing the odd soldier before I do Iron Man for real. But so far, no re-loads.

I'm a bit ashamed of this but .... I have, as you know, been able to fix my Elite Soldier Pack problem thanks to the kind assistance of folks here. But I did raise a ticket with Steam at the beginning of January and my ticket is still in progress.

A desperately honest person would of course close the ticket. But I am not that person and this is not that day.

I want to know if Steam will answer my totally straightforward support request in my lifetime. Because, after all, lots of games developers are looking to use Steam and I really, really want to know what to expect.

So here's the latest response:

Hello Ann,

In order to investigate this issue, we must verify your ownership of the CD Key.

Please handwrite your Support Ticket Number 9632-***-6034 directly on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key (the number should not be written on a separate piece of paper or inserted with an image editor) and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key in .jpg format. Please ensure that you submit a full-color image, rather than a photocopy.

I read this more in sorrow than in anger. And more in disbelief than either. So I reply:

Hello

Unfortunately I own neither a scanner nor a digital camera!

Look, really, I don't see what your problem is. I can assure you that I have the elite soldier pack bundled with the game in the form of a printed flyer. What I am asking you to do is tell me where on Steam I can enter the key number to access this DLC. That procedure will automatically verify that I have a valid key number. I should not have to jump through hoops for this!

The Steam installation is faulty - it does not work the way it says it should. I cannot be the only person with this problem and someone in your organisation, I'm sure, has the answer. I don't need you to give me product - I need you to tell me how to use the product key I have paid for. I am not prepared to incur additional trouble and expense for this - why should I?!

It seems to me that you are overwhelmed with support requests post-Christmas and you are just throwing out holding replies. I've had the same "try Firaxis" reply twice, and now you are sending me yet another canned response which seems to apply to people saying their key doesn't work. That is not my problem. My key probably does work - I just need somewhere to enter it!

This is a really awful level of support. I haven't had a single reply so far that was any use at all. You are just trying anything to "close" tickets or at least send a reply within a given time-frame, regardless of whether what you send is any use or even relevant to the original question.

Please could someone give me the correct answer? Thank you.

I know its not nice of me to play with Steam but, in all honesty, a month and still no answer? I bothered you guys and got the correct answer same day. So I am going to pursue this to find out exactly how long it's going to take for them to come up with the totally straightforward answer to the ticket I've raised.

Because I'm like that :shuffle footed thing:

And also because they are like that. And they should be better ...

You need to think of steam as the gaming version of iTunes to be honest - It delivers exactly what the core of it's customers want, but it takes a massive cut from all the developers it publishes (Majors and indies alike) and help is more or less based on how many people complain about eh same issue,.

Pretty much the same as everywhere else I guess, but it never fails to amaze me just how many people will give Valve and Steam a free ride.