Confused about cover

talon

I've read the online guides about cover and its fine most of the time but i've still had some wierd events

like in the picture below i've had my unit move into full cover but on a different map

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/thumb/d/d5/Coveragain.png/468px-Coveragain.png

in the alien turn the alien was in a moved behind the glowing abduction pod and it counted as flanking my guy

why? i'm in full cover there that position should not be flanking

I haven't seen any bugs related to cover yet, so my first thought would be that another alien did the flanking or was even already in a postion - you wouldn't see yellow shields unless you know the alien's position. The shields will be yellow if one of the aliens flanked the soldier, but the flanking bonuses only apply to the alien who flanked the soldier. At least I haven't seen any indication that all the enemies (or my soldiers) would profit from it.

Well, cover is directional and only works with inmediatly adjacent units (diagonal cover does not apply). In the case of the picture you've provided, the guy at the bottom left is getting full cover from the big container, but that's only covering it's lower left flank, all his other flanks are exposed, but you can't see this because the alien is most likely barely out of it's sight range to even see the soldier. At this poing, comes the alien's turn, it moves to the pod, sees the unit and is flanking it.

Yeah, I thoght the same initially, but that was the only thing that could explain why the soldier got flanked. If he is actually talking about the active soldier, then I have no idea how that one would get flanked at the position it's moving and the current alien's position.

in the alien turn the alien was in a moved behind the glowing abduction pod and it counted as flanking my guy

why? i'm in full cover there that position should not be flanking

You say it counted as flanking your guy - did you come by that conclusion because your soldier's shield was yellow during the 'Alien Activity' phase? If so it is also possible that the icon wasn't updated after the soldier moved so it still reflects its starting status even though he's still in cover.

to explain yes i'm talking about the active alien you can see and the currently selected soldier moving to the selected cover

so no second alien

with the alien moving to the green pod show in the pic and somehow that results in flanking ??

i wish i had saved so i could reload and tried to find out why that happened

when the aliens flank me normally i'm annoyed but its fair