New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

[The adv. training protocol seems to add and subtract attribute-points when used more often.

Can not train sniping on the range?]

Hi Clueseau!

I can explain why snipe doesn't get trained on the range. The skill only increases when your unit tries to snipe an actual enemy. The training range figures are not enemies; they're objects. The game doesn't recognize them as a way to train the snipe skill. Blunter has tried many ways to allow snipe to be trained through the firing range but to no avail. Sorry about that.

As for the advanced training protocol and the attribute/skill points, I've noticed something that may be your issue. Sometimes when you try to bring all the skills up to speed, do you notice some skills that your unit may use a lot goes down by a point or the progress bar disappears? I've experienced this as well. I think it happens because the adv. training protocol sets attributes and skills to what they should be, on average, at that level. If you have a higher than "normal" skill/attribute, it may be reset to the level it should be at. I'm not sure if Blunter is looking into this or not.

Thanks for the comments! It helps make the mod a much better product at the end.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Awesome MOD indeed!

This one brought SSS for me in the new light. Did not play much though yet. With difficulty set as 100% to Foe AP, VP, Damage, Hide Often, lvl +3 also as squad damage 100% and durability 50 it is helluva challenge I must point. Played encounter with ruined tower in center of forest map and Bandit waves. That was intense shootout. Had full party of lvl7. To kill someone now, I have to really maneuver a lot, use medic boosters, and pay attention to familiarity level. The probability to hit is quite low now, and considering high VP of enemies it is hard to kill even one of the bandits in one go, also considering they approach from every direction. At least, then I nail one or two, other rush to cover and hide, slowing their advance pace. Now they spot me very fast, even Shade with his perks in spot and hide, has trouble. He gets interrupted very often not even spotting anyone first. Exept in realtime I can approach them easier why is it so?

So back to the mission. Actually, I did not finish it yet. The sitrep for now is that I have lost two squad mates – Shade and Gator. The Shade was scouting remote ruins with small tower; the two people appeared from the forest. One tried to climb over the wall just above Shade. Using fullauto he shot climber in the head. Just one shot fired tho. Bandit was knocked from the wall and Silenced sten jammed. Using remaining AP I moved Shade a bit along the wall deeper in cover. Hide mode was still on. The next turn he was blown with grenade to no recoverable state). As for Gator, he went down from interrupt by rifleman while moving to cover after some cowboy shot him with mauser pistol about 5 hits from, let’s say, 10-15 tiles away. Pretty neat sight, huh, at nighttime. Other member are all bandaged up. 3 guns I stared with got jammed from intence shooting, so using salvaged. In addition, bazooka that my grenadier got his hands on helps a lot as it one shots bad boys neatly.

As for Castle defense, Sting shots quite a lot. Fought for about 25 turns and she shoots 2/3 turn for sure.

An interesting thing about Midnight outfit with beret. Then I use that on LA, I can see some of her blond hair pop out, but then I use this on my char, which also female with black bun, it appears as she is shaved, almost bald. Another thing I noticed, then I put some Black Camo coat or Merc coat on male char, his hand become very large, reminds me of Heavy in TF, is it intended or some sort of glitch from my side?

No crashes sofar. Cheers =)

Ah, forgot to mention. Think I have working Maya 5 if anyone is interested. At least it intalls and runs with no errors.)

Hello Blunterll

Your mod is awesome and I can see you have created new weapons and items there.

I have a question - have those new items got number codes for 'getitem' cheats?

If yes - wouid you add some list of new number codes there, please? It would be so useful.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

• 3 weeks later...

I joined the forums just so I could participate in the discussion here on this wonderful mod you've got going for S3

I bought myself Silent Storm Gold from Steam last week, and I've already put in more than 35 hours of playtime already! I love that game.

In fact, I stumbled upon this thread yesterday, when I was searching for a guide for S2, and I stumbled upon some mods and one thing led to another that brought me here. I was pumped up for the new scenario and new plot of S3, but then I discovered I was reading page 7 or 8 of a 43-pages-long thread, so it's probably too late to contribute to the plot by now XD

But yeah, how is the mod turning out? There haven't been updates on it since a couple months ago, and judging by this last page, there was still work getting done on this mod.

Also, could I contribute as well to this mod? I know nothing about modding and editing in-game files, but I am a writer, and the new plot is what caught my attention on this mod mainly (besides the cool new uniforms). So, if I could contribute as well, that'd be really awesome!

Thank you for all the wonderful work you guys have done on the creation of this mod!

Morning,

This is my first forum post ever on the internet. Historic moment. I'm here for two reasons:

1) To thank Blunter and company for the work they've put into this mod so far. Truly an incredible extension to an already great game.

2) Find out what the hell is going on!

I check this forum regularly for updates but seems they've mysteriously stopped. Given the effort so far put in can't imagine the project is over. If there's no activity in the near future we need to organise a search and rescue for Blunter using kickstarter or something. Screw global warming, the world needs this mod.

Thanks to all who are concerned for Blunter and the mod. There has been a major setback that has put the modding on hold for now. Unfortunately, Blunter's computer that had all the files and the ability to access SS Editor has malfunctioned (in other words, died).

He is working hard to get it back online so he can continue with the work he has been doing. If the situation improves, we'll let you guys know.

Thanks for being supportive and don't worry, you'll likely see new updates soon.

Ah, I was wondering why Blunter was not posting here, I figured he was just very busy. Well, getting a new computer can be expensive, I just recently got myself a new PC as well, so I know how it is to be without a PC for awhile and trying to get the funds for a new PC.

Maybe, Blunter need go kickstarter and create new project? Maybe, someone like Silent Storm, but in new time. Modern war, bio mutants, mechanic exo-suit.. I'm think this is be veryy good and necessary project.

P.S. Sorry for my very bad english. And good luck for Blunter from russian Silent Storm community

Maybe, Blunter need go kickstarter and create new project? Maybe, someone like Silent Storm, but in new time. Modern war, bio mutants, mechanic exo-suit.. I'm think this is be veryy good and necessary project.

P.S. Sorry for my very bad english. And good luck for Blunter from russian Silent Storm community

Tbh, I wouldn't like to see bio mutants in another project (one of the reasons I haven't played much of this mod here is also because in part to the zombies - not that bit a zombie fan, but I love the earlier versions and fixes they do)

Modern combat scenario, that'd be neat. I think there are a few out there, but I'd love to see Blunter's take on it, since he and the rest put a lot of effort in the mod.

What I'd love to see though is a reskin of the game and repackaging to match the aesthetics of Metro 2033. Has anybody else played that game?

Silent Storm emulating Metro 2033 and its atmosphere and everything would be pretty awesome!

EDIT: Also yay for Blunter getting his computer fixed and back into action! Looking forward as to what's gonna come out next ^_^

Glad to hear Blunter can continue his work.

I finally got around to playing v2.4 and just want to post some bugs I've seen so far. I'm not sure if they've been posted already; I got to get around reading the last couple of pages of this thread.

https://imgur.com/a/TRy3a

First bug is from the Missile Prototype mission in the tunnels. Apparently there are enemies on an invisible 2nd floor. They managed to get down from there and I managed to find were they were dropped down from (second pic). I don't think I ever encountered this bug in the vanilla version of the game.

The second bug I found is after the first Soviet Intel subplot mission (Counterfeit, I think, and debriefing). When I try to talk to the bank clerk or anyone else in the base, there are no dialogue options. The last pic shows a message I get from the console, if that helps. I also completed the mission right before starting the second set of missions in the Soviet Union.

Edit: I think I fixed it. I just had to choose a mission back at the base. Then I left the base, camped out in a map, came back to the base, and now I can see the dialogue options.

• 1 month later...
Hello folks! This has been such a wonderful Project to follow that I have to ask.....is it still ongoing? I have really enjoyed the upgraded scenarios and the back and forth interaction of all players in this online conversation. Hopefully it has not come to an end!!!!!

Hello everybody,

I might have a recommendation or two to tide you over the time until 2.5 hits the net.

The first one is 'Shadowrun - Dragonfall' by a company called "Harebrained Schemes" and is very, very storyheavy. I found the characters well thought out and believable [no there are no romance options :,) - would not fit the story in this one]. For those who don't know Shadowrun - it is originally a PnP fantasy-cyberpunk alternate dystopian near-future crossover roleplaying game which had (or still has?) a big following and thus a very rich background.

Play this, it will not insult your brain.

Though it has an editor to go with it, sadly it does not feature destructible environment, which is my only (semi-) quibble.

The other one is Divinity - Original Sin. Once I got over the title I found a pretty upbeat straight fantasy RPG, which has only a single fault: It ends.

This too comes with an editor, and if it had received just a fraction of the attention DA-Inquisition (which it blows straight out of the water - not that hard btw) now gets there would be a lot of stories growing for it right now. Somewhat comparable to Neverwinter Nights in its overall outlook, but better in every respect.

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but as long as the main mod is quasi-dormant we might as well do a round of "What are you playing today?", no?

• 1 month later...

After playing Divinity 2, which I really liked, I can't get back into the isometric combat from Original Sin. That being said I also gave up on Dragon Age after playing not more than 9 hours.

I'm playing Carmageddon: Reincarnation and waiting for the beta of Sui Generis. Sui Generis is an awesome physic-based combat medieval isometric action RPG game, the combat and graphics are AMAZING, but we don't know anything yet about lore or how quests and dialogues are going to work (if there even is any dialogue). Can check it out here.

Sui Generis looks very interesting! Definately bookmarked.

I've been fooling around with Kerbal Space Program, still searching for a neat beryllium-oxygen-hydrogen tripropellant design. Might even change to lithium-flourine-hydrogen...

And I'm currently installing WoT for old time's sake.

Thanks for keeping this great game alive. I have a question about this mod: can i activate it and keep the old skill growth? Because my engineer likes to use a sniper cannon with his PK, so he needs some snipe skill.

I really would appreciate it, if there were modules that you can just activate the things you like from this mod (grenate range / new skill growth / new weapons / new uniforms etc.). One of the most liked parts for me is, that i can select the perks of hired mercs of my own. For me: i dont need more uniforms or even more weapons, and why make the medical and engineering items more easy to use?

What i dont like, is that you are so fixed in character building. Why shouldn't engineer learn snipe (to some extend) or soldier? Or Scout learn control burst (to some extend). Perhaps just limit the reachable values of the skills to the dominating attribute.

greetings

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the castle encounter and it was pretty epic.

However when I tied to leave I got the following error in console: unit [am1] not found. This was probably because one of the american guys got blown to peaces by bazooka. Got around this by creating a new unit in console named am1. I also started to encounter a lot of crashes after the final wave arrived. Otherwise this map was really well made and had nice atmosphere.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah yes, the Linden encounter...

I noticed lots of new crashes as well. My intuition says, that the "lost weapon" critical effect might be involved with this - the crashes never happened before this effect was up and maybe the control script (we can't have 2 instances of the superguns, now can we?) gets in the way of something else. But of course intuition is not a replacement for proper error search and destroy smile.png. Maybe Windows 8 has its dirty fingers in the cake too.

Sting still has her blonde moments and is forgetting to actually pull the trigger while mooning at those handsome Ubermenschen in her scope...

Currently I would advise against playing that encounter, which is a sad thing, as the balance seems to be much better and keeping Bruiser or Dust alive is not guaranteed anymore.

@Gustav-I: Another case of "You cannot make everyone happy" - You seem to favor a more generalistic approach, which at its extreme end boils down to a single class with a single big perk tree and player choice be the main form-factor for the characters, while I would like to keep these very distinct specialties with emphasis on giving each of them more of a reason to be. Like making the grenadier class actually viable for example. As it is now I get the feeling that my medics are sniping just fine.

Edit: just been having a look at Sui Generis/Exanima - thanks for that info, if it continues growing like this it might become everything that Skyrim was not. It also seems that I may have missed the chance to become a backer, as Exanima is already released and the "contributions" page is down.

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: just been having a look at Sui Generis/Exanima - thanks for that info, if it continues growing like this it might become everything that Skyrim was not. It also seems that I may have missed the chance to become a backer, as Exanima is already released and the "contributions" page is down.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Exanima is a rather short prologue with just one dungeon to walk through, it was basically intended as a demo until they needed more money.

I haven't played it much since the release of it, I'm waiting for the full game now.

The new Carmageddon coming in a few days as well though, if it finally looks good and still runs okay I'm happy. It was already a lot of fun last time I played it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for keeping this great game alive. I have a question about this mod: can i activate it and keep the old skill growth? Because my engineer likes to use a sniper cannon with his PK, so he needs some snipe skill.I really would appreciate it, if there were modules that you can just activate the things you like from this mod (grenate range / new skill growth / new weapons / new uniforms etc.). One of the most liked parts for me is, that i can select the perks of hired mercs of my own. For me: i dont need more uniforms or even more weapons, and why make the medical and engineering items more easy to use?What i dont like, is that you are so fixed in character building. Why shouldn't engineer learn snipe (to some extend) or soldier? Or Scout learn control burst (to some extend). Perhaps just limit the reachable values of the skills to the dominating attribute.greetings
I've read much of this thread--man is it long!--and it appears that the answer is no. Some if these changes have been incorporated into this mod from other mods because this one is largely (fully?) incompatible with other mods. I think there is a mod that allows you to select merc perks. I think it makes every merc level one, however, which may not be to your liking. You don't necessarily have to install the latest version of this mod. All versions are buried in the thread...I think (not sure) that version 2 has the uniforms and that extra (though, I'm pretty sure that it has some of the things you don't want like easier med/engineering.Edit: Heh, the mods and descriptions are in blunterll's sig...I've been reading it on my phone Edited by grammarsalad

I'm playing this right now and just wanted to say its awesome. This is one of the best mods I've ever seen. You've not only fixed alot of the games shortcomings but, you also added a great deal of quality content to the game. The extra scenarios and RPG elements are all well done and really make the game better. Some of the things that really stick out:

- Kudos to you for making the AI actually aggressive. I was so tired of enemies just camping zones the entire round, oblivious to everything around them. In vanilla mode they just hunker down and wait for surprise interrupts when you search for them...not a problem anymore with this mod. Now the enemy actually coordinates and hits back hard. That one change alone makes this a must-have mod for this game.

- I also liked how you fixed the weapon stats so that they actually make sense now. God it was so stupid comparing weapons in the vanilla version only to recognize how they all made no sense. Old models of guns would have better stats than new ones, yet Nival somehow priced the newer ones higher? It was just completely stupid and illogical. Good job fixing that sir!

- The uniforms you added are all well made and many are even better than anything Nival created. There has to be around a 100 or so and most of them are pretty cool. I can tell you spent alot of time making these and it shows.

- Your additional RPG elements are fucking outstanding. You basically added another dimension to the game and fit it into the base game seamlessly. I'm only a couple levels deep here, but the bank/training facility and extra missions have all been nice touches. Again kudos to you sir.

- I like how you balanced out grenades as well. I always thought it was dumb how a character couldn't throw a grenade farther than 3 feet unless they specialized in throwing grenades. Absolutely non-seniscal and really took away from the immersion. You've made grenades useful/more realistic and its done wonders for the game. I thought it sounded overpowered when I first read the description, but you balanced it out nicely. Grenades are more rare and do less damage, but aren't needlessly stupid anymore.

- The random encounters add a great deal of content. I accidentally stumbled onto "The Ruins" map not really knowing what to expect. With my three man squad I managed to take out the first 10 or so enemies by the skin of my teeth. Thinking the level was done, I start healing up my dudes and scavenging equipment. I find a letter within a chest in the middle of the map only to be bumrushed by another wave of goons. Surprised the hell out of me and all my dudes died in a hail of bullets, but it was a fun encounter none-the-less. Gotta try that again when I add a few more members to my group. The vanilla versions might have 2 or so random encounters per map. From what I've seen so far, this mod has increased that a great deal.

Three wishes:

1. I don't even know if the creator of this mod is still around or what but, there are three small things that really bug me. First off throwing weapons. Why does a throwing knife take more AP to use than a careful shot from a pistol or a small burst from a SMG? The vanilla Sentinels expansion has the same feature and it just completely ruins throwing weapons as a viable tactic. Can you please lower the AP required to throw knives and make it similar to the original SS game? In the original game, a throwing knife takes around 10-12 AP to throw at low level. For some reason, it takes 20-23 in the expansion. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

2. Melee weapons need a buff big time. Melee requires a player to get nice and close with the enemy. Not only does the player have to open themselves up to counter fire and interrupts in order to move in position, they also have to spend a good amount of AP just to do that. Seeing as how movement costs have been doubled since the original game, could you please increase the amount of damage that melee weapons do? In the very first mission, Boris died and I ended up picking his lumberjack axe. After carefully vying for position, I managed to plan out my strike where I would have just enough AP to run behind the enemy and take him out with a well-placed axe swing. After getting behind him and landing the hit to his back, I was stunned to see I only did like 40 damage! Needless to say, he promtply turned around on his turn and put 4 perfect shots right in my face. Would you be willing to increase the damage values for melee weapons? IMHO it makes sense both rationally and from a game perspective for melee weapons to do more damage. I'm not asking for some overpowered cheatcode stuff or anything like that but, melee weapons need some kind of buff. Right now, it really doesn't make any sense to pick one up. Melee needs some kind of damage increase, can't say how much exactly but, definately something substantial.

3. Why is the infirmary free of charge? What kind of crazy socialist non-sense is this!?! (Sarcasm). Lol one of the few things I liked from the vanilla Sentinels expansion was how medical costs came out of your pocket. It really made the game more challenging and held the player accountable for taking hits. I also thought it added to the whole economy aspect of the game and made money that much more valuable. The one thing I did not like was how you couldn't heal up your party members only part way if you didn't have enough cash for the full healing. The game simply wouldn't allow any healing unless you had the total amount right then and there. Is there any way you could fix this? Perhaps you could add some kind of credit system where the hospital will credit you with 10k worth of healing until the bill has to be payed? I would really like to see this feature brought back if possible.

- Wow looking back I didn't mean to write so much! Haha anyways thanks for the mod dude. I know this game is like 10 years old and that the creator of this mod could even very well be dead but, if your still out there somewhere I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work. If I had to pick two words to sum up the whole thing they would be: Simply excellent.

PS I'll check back here every week or so and see if your open to the changes I suggested.