New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

• Please log in to reply
1021 replies to this topic

#41 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Okay thanks for the feedback. You raise some very valid points here. I just thought that with the advanced technology available like Flying Wings, Jetbombers and stuff like this, Germany would have a distinct advantage over the Allies, at least until the Allies use their own advanced tech.
"War. War never changes"

#42 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well, no idea if its useful or not, but here is a link to a gallery that deals with the whole "WEIRD WWII" theme that is mostly prevalent in miniatures. For those who do not know, "WEIRD WWII" is basically an "what if" thing, alternate WWII scenario where both sides of the war develop dieselpunk/sci-fi style superweapons as well as the whole occult  aspect (pretty much like Wolfenstein). Maybe it could give us some ideas regarding uniforms or missions/stories etc.

Check it out: http://wk.frothersun...lp/weirdwar.htm

They also have a Pulp Figures gallery (pulp would work well for a scenario as well) and regular WWII figs.
"War. War never changes"

#43 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Ok, "All Uniforms" v 1.0 is finished. No new textures.

A tip on how to upload it to the "files" section of this site would be appreciated Posted Image

[Edit] ALL UNIFORMS MediaFire link [Edit]

What version 1.0 does (so far)>>>

ReadMe:

Installation:
Unpack/Extract "All uniforms" mod folder in your Sentinels main directory "Silent Storm - Sentinels"

- UNIFORMS:

1. Most of the already existing models have been added as uniforms to the seller (at reasonable prices)
2. New combinations of vanilla models and materials have been created (leather berets, various caps)
3. All uniforms (with few exceptions) were enabled to wear armor. The best fitting body armors were picked for each new uniform.
4. Terror line of uniforms are named "trooper", "heavy trooper", "armored trooper" uniforms
5. Some uniforms ("armored trooper") have their own armor rating (the option to wear body armor for them - removed)
6. Small camos (black & fall variants are available for females only)
7. Camos with gas masks have been added (Allied - "Alpha", German - "Double filter", Terror - "TRR" versions implemented)

- MEDICAL AND ENGINEERING ITEMS:
1. are now easier to use: ~ 2/3 of the original requirements,
2. lower end items have more uses,
3. The "no use again for N turns" number for medical items now equals the duration of the drug. IOW you can use it again right after its effect expires

- GRENADE RANGE GOT INCREASED:
1. Grenade Range increased (by reducing Grenades' weight by 50%) resulting in grenades being thrown further (also skill and perk dependant)

- CLASS AND BASE VALUE CHANGES:
1. Str., Dex., Int for most mercenaries were changed by reassigning some of the points to Dex.
2. Attribute growth coefficient was changed from 2x to 3x for the primary attribute and from 1x to 2x for Dex unless Dex is the primary. In cases when Dex is the primary Attribute ( i.e. Scout and Sniper) the Dex gets 3x modifier with the Scout getting - Str. 2x, and the Sniper - Int. 2x modifier.
3. Skill points were overhauled to emphasize one's profession. Soldier will have exceptional shooting and burst skills while being very poor at sniping and engineering, for example.

- MERCENARY PERK AUTO SELECT SYSTEM - disabled
1. Mercs upon hiring will have their perks "flashing" (not taken yet) for the player to pick at their discretion.

MINOR CHANGES:
1. First couple of missions yield slightly better rewards
2. A Sniper rifle and a silenced pistol are now available ealier (2nd mission - "Test of loyalty")

(I didn't increase the staring hero level for two reasons: 1. makes the game extremely easy, 2. the hero's level progression slows to a crawl for a long time (since the first several missions and randoms feature only low level enemies resulting in very small experience gains)

If you think I need to add something else - let me know Posted Image

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

- BlunterMod v 2.4 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) (5 versions of Splittermuster 45 uniform, unique versions of existing weapons, multiple game play changes, all default REs are scripted now, new lighting, several new scripted REs, HE rounds are temporarily gone - converted to 'surplus' ammo instead, 3 new enemy classes ("Grunt", "Zombie", "PK Operator"), all PKs have been overhauled (stronger, better, faster, auto-destruct) and a Soviet Intel subplot featuring Lt. Colonel Mikhalev from H&S ~ 7 missions) + v 2.3 full (without HE rounds)

- BlunterMod v2.3 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) ---4 more uniforms, 1 new ammo type and a new weapon added, "Castle Linden" random crash fixed, a new area "The Bank" added to the Sentinel base, and various other changes + v 2.2 full (see ReadMe file for more info)

- BlunterMod v 2.2 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 20 new ammo types added (AP, HE, API, JHP), 7 unique weapons added, New RPG money items created, German Soldier Class characterss don't wear goggles + v 2.1 (full but without game-breaking bugs, hopefully)

- All Uniforms v 2.1 DO NOT USE (bugged) --- A Wave Defense "Castle" encounter, ammo and weapon name fixes, cheaper surplus uniforms, binoculars fix + v 2.0 (full)

- All Uniforms v 2.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 108 more uniforms + binoculars + v1.0 uniforms and changes (ReadMe for v 2.0)

- All Uniforms v 1.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 78 new uniforms (available from the base seller, prices vary) + various gameplay changes

- Silent Storm on Steam Greenlight has been approved 08/28/13!

- Available for purchase on Steam - "Silent Storm" + "Sentinels" page

~Blunter~

#44 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

No idea how to upload files to the site, I thought it should be rather easy to do. I guess you have to ask one of the administrators or mods how to do it.

If not simply upload it to mediafire or something and post the link for the mod in this thread.

Also, a few days ago I asked Okim if he was willing to provide his Gasmask model he made for his Post Apocalypse mod for us, he said he will see what he can do. Thought I let you know.
"War. War never changes"

#45 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Denison Camo version 3 is ready. I like this one better than the other two. Take a look:

Posted Image

and a close up (with bump texture, etc.)

Posted Image

Fritz doesn't have very much gear on him - so the ammo packs and grenades do not show here on purpose.

Found some old textures of various military males in civilian clothes from my H&S mod:

Posted Image

Now about the plot ideas. I'll address some of the finer points later in its own thread, for now just the highlights.

- I am okay with the alternative history idea ( but the sci-fi part kind of makes me twitch, I disliked the PKs and the energy weapons in S^2 and S^3, conventional warfare was good enough for me.) I'd rather avoid going full scale sci-fi with hordes of PKs running around and energy weapons found in every dumpster.
- The unknown history sounds even better to me . All of the things you talked about can still be implemented but as rare prototypes in questionable condition in some bunker ruins, old factories, contaminated areas (nuclear, chemical fallouts) - obtainable only through special quests and/ or one-time random encounters (similar to "Sea Devil" anti-materiel" rifle from S^2)
- Wolfenstein idea is nice, they already have a zombie head in the Game...

I'd substitute the occult origin of Zombies for a bio experiment gone bad (ala Far Cry).

The head looks pretty good. I can adjust its texture to make a more disgusting look.

Posted Image

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and enjoy your guys exchange of ideas. Keep them coming.

I'll address some of the other points a bit later.

Which Russian models do you think I should try those RU camo textures on? (Lt.)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

- BlunterMod v 2.4 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) (5 versions of Splittermuster 45 uniform, unique versions of existing weapons, multiple game play changes, all default REs are scripted now, new lighting, several new scripted REs, HE rounds are temporarily gone - converted to 'surplus' ammo instead, 3 new enemy classes ("Grunt", "Zombie", "PK Operator"), all PKs have been overhauled (stronger, better, faster, auto-destruct) and a Soviet Intel subplot featuring Lt. Colonel Mikhalev from H&S ~ 7 missions) + v 2.3 full (without HE rounds)

- BlunterMod v2.3 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) ---4 more uniforms, 1 new ammo type and a new weapon added, "Castle Linden" random crash fixed, a new area "The Bank" added to the Sentinel base, and various other changes + v 2.2 full (see ReadMe file for more info)

- BlunterMod v 2.2 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 20 new ammo types added (AP, HE, API, JHP), 7 unique weapons added, New RPG money items created, German Soldier Class characterss don't wear goggles + v 2.1 (full but without game-breaking bugs, hopefully)

- All Uniforms v 2.1 DO NOT USE (bugged) --- A Wave Defense "Castle" encounter, ammo and weapon name fixes, cheaper surplus uniforms, binoculars fix + v 2.0 (full)

- All Uniforms v 2.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 108 more uniforms + binoculars + v1.0 uniforms and changes (ReadMe for v 2.0)

- All Uniforms v 1.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 78 new uniforms (available from the base seller, prices vary) + various gameplay changes

~Blunter~

#46 Ecthel013

Ecthel013

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Would it be possible to split the Uniforms and Tweaks into separate mods? People might only want one or the other.

#47 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Nice Dension Camo. I have to say that I like all 3 versions so far. Good work.

Now about the plot ideas. I'll address some of the finer points later in its own thread, for now just the highlights.

- I am okay with the alternative history idea ( but the sci-fi part kind of makes me twitch, I disliked the PKs and the energy weapons in S^2 and S^3, conventional warfare was good enough for me.) I'd rather avoid going full scale sci-fi with hordes of PKs running around and energy weapons found in every dumpster.
- The unknown history sounds even better to me . All of the things you talked about can still be implemented but as rare prototypes in questionable condition in some bunker ruins, old factories, contaminated areas (nuclear, chemical fallouts) - obtainable only through special quests and/ or one-time random encounters (similar to "Sea Devil" anti-materiel" rifle from S^2)
- Wolfenstein idea is nice, they already have a zombie head in the Game...

I'd substitute the occult origin of Zombies to a bio experiment gone bad (ala Far Cry).

No no, do not assume that with sci-fi I meant pew-pew laser weapons. I should have chosen "futuristic" instead of sci-fi. Also all this is just background "Fluff" to pad out the setting. The Panzerkleins wont play a major role in this campaign anyway. While the both the Allies and the Russians have Panzerkleins or their own versions thereof, the THO has only limited supply of them because we destroyed their capabilities to produce them by raiding Bergers Factory and arrest him in Silent Storm.

Die Wölfe dont have no Panzerkleins at all, instead using heavy armored soldiers instead.  

Posted Image

Like this for example.

Regular Soldiers look somewhat like this:

Posted Image

So no lasers or anything like that. I know a lot of people hate the Panzerkleins because they change the pace of the game and all, but I really liked the idea. Seeing that they show up late in the game I never thought they where a game breaker for me. There is always the option to make the PKs weaker and such like one mod already does that is hosted here on Strategy Core.

Oh also, you really should check out this page here, its a site dedicated to all the Aircrafts that where planned by Nazi Germany but never got further then the drawing board:

http://www.luft46.com/

Check out some of the stuff there and dont tell me they look like the come from a sci-fi movie. The USA had similar projects during WWII, radical new aircraft designs like the YB-35 and such. Thats straight up Dieselpunk style.

Anyway, I was not aware that there are already Zombie models for the game, where they unused or are they part of some random encounter? Anyway, we could work them in somehow, like deranged experiments of some insane researcher that you have to stop in the course of the campaign. Or they are part of some random encounter etc.

Reminds me, if we really go for a bigger mod that replaces the original scenario of Sentinels, then we also need at least some new weapons, like Walter PPK, Beretta 34, G43, Reising M50 and some other weapons from WWII that where missing from the game. That means we need someone to model and put them into the game, Okim is the only one I can think of right now that would be able to do so, but I guess he is busy. No idea who else would be up for the job.

Speaking of weapons and prototypes: what about stuff like the British EM-2 rifle, the US Sieg Rifle and stuff like that? These would fit the theme pretty well that we are going for. Here is a nice page dedicated to prototype weapons like that: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/

Which Russian models do you think I should try those RU camo textures on? (Lt.)

Good question. These camo suits where normally one piece coveralls, but I found this drawing here that might help, its a 2 piece uniform:

Posted Image

Its in the Amoba camo, I did not provide it because its an overprint so you need a green background to make proper use of it as a texture.

Posted Image

Another image, note the soldier in the camo suit.

My idea was to use the THO Night Camo and Fall Camo soldiers as a base for this and put some russian patterns on it. Optional would also be the desert gunner as well. So, you figure it out what body would be best suited for the camo. I think I mentioned that at the very beginning when I first provided the camos. So anyway, see what you can come up with.
"War. War never changes"

#48 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

In case you have disabled the signatures here is the link to the mod:

ALL UNIFORMS v1.0
(MediaFire, rar)
For Installation and Description, please see post #43 (above)

View PostEcthel013, on 05 February 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Would it be possible to split the Uniforms and Tweaks into separate mods? People might only want one or the other.
Hi, Ecthel013.
Thanks for joining the thread.

Are you talking about some hypothetical "people" or someone in particular? Posted Image

Seriously though, I don't see myself going back and bringing all the tweaked values to their original state unless they are game breaking or unbalancing in some way. All the changes are incremental and in my testing didn't affect the gameplay in any major way (I played through the first 3 missions). You might want to try it yourself, if you like. Please report any bugs, inconsistencies, etc.

Edit: Besides, I am planning to use this mod as a foundation for the new scenario. And if everything goes according to plan the player will need all the help they can get...

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

~Blunter~

#49 Ecthel013

Ecthel013

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Well, I was talking hypothetically. Anyway, I'll try out the mod when I finally get around to finishing S2 and move on to S3. In the meantime, I suppose I'm stuck with plot suggestions, since I don't know too much about uniforms.

#50 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well, I will wait till version 2, because I want to see the new camo uniforms in action. I know that V 2 will take a little while but I can wait.
"War. War never changes"

#51 zippythezip

zippythezip

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

looking good. Silent storm is one of my favourite games. Reading this now I have to go find my copy and start playing yet again.
Is the game hard to mod? No I am not a modder, its just I cant understand why the game engine was not used for say an xcom or jagged alliance type game.
Reading the steam forums I see its on "greenlight" for release by nordic games. I read they plan on releasing it with editor if they get voted onto steam.
Ok got your uniform mod and now to go find game.
Thanks.

#52 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thank you folks for sticking with me.
I read all the posts - but don't always respond to them right away.
@ Lt.
Nice direction you are taking this in. Let's develop that a bit more. No PKs is a bit too radical, perhaps. I agree we'll need to weaken them. The idea that conventinal weapons suddenly become irrelevant is what I primarily don't like about PKs. If RPK, MG-34 or AK47 (7.62x54) can deal damage to them I am fine with having a few of them here and there (pistol/smg rounds should stay ineffective, of course).
Heavily armored German troopers - I think I am going to like this...
I will see what I can come up with for the armored guys. There are a few "armored" Hammer troopers already - I'll need to apply the steel plates to their armor body textures. Not sure about the shoulder plates. We'll see. Give me a couple of days.

The "Amoeba" samples are ready (and some other ones you posted). Take a look:

Posted Image

and these (MG soldier was used for the "Amoeba" pattern):

Posted Image

Got a bit distracted by all the Soviet insignia I've accumulated over the years only to realize that they (Nival) didn't include any shoulder side spots. Oh well, just the shoulder boards will do for now I guess.

Btw, sci-fi and futuristic is pretty much the same to me. However if we assume that all these things are historical but for some reason never made it into history books (because someone wiped those guys out) - then I can definitely live with that. We can go with all kinds of monstrosities and abominations (as long as we find fitting models).

The Zombie head was in the original but wasn't used until Hammer & Sickle where Novik & Co. utilized it for some German gang leader (Zigmund) a former tank crew member who supposedly got burned up in one of the tank battles with the Soviets at Lake Balaton.

The regular trooper looks good - any idea on the models to try that with?

Yes, new models would be great... but I believe we can manage without them (at least for now).

Weird war, luft46 and forgotten weapons - are interesting. The modern pictures passed for old historical ones gave me a laugh.
If I missed some other suggestions you made please remind me about them and I'll see what I can do.

@Ecthel013
Your plot ideas are very good. Especially I agree with the notion that the TH and Sentinels are most likely supported (openly or not) by one or more of the world powers. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well, I will wait till version 2, because I want to see the new camo uniforms in action. I know that V 2 will take a little while but I can wait.

I'll be finishing this up (unless you have some other uniform ideas), releasing V 2.0 and starting a new scenario thread.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

~Blunter~

#53 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Well, lets talk about the Panzerkleins here for a moment, I wanted to elaborate on them more anyway. The idea of them replacing conventional combat is kind of an interesting point. Game wise you are right, once you have them you are basically walking around, killing everything in your view while most regular weapons wont do anything to do. The game explains how they are made of some sort of special metal alloy that can be found in the Ural, while some other tech originates from Tibet and it can only be speculated if its not of alien origin (which explains the laser weapons).

I can see why people hate them, they seem like a anachronism in the game and turns the whole balance upside down. I think Nivial dropped the ball in that department, they did not delve into the whole "Alternative History" aspect by providing a rich background about how and why there is THO and where all the stuff comes from and why only THO has them. The background story idea that we talked about one page ago at least would explain the "points of divergence".

Anyway, back to the PKs: realistically speaking, they would not end conventional warfare like we know it, because these things are slow, have blind spots and would be very vulnerable to Heavy Machineguns, anti tank rifles, anti tank/heavy grenades as well as Bazookas and similar weapons. Not to mention that there are still tanks in use that with guns up to 90mm would blow away such a thing in an instant.

The role of the PK would be in the follow fields: Infantry support, fighting in urban terrain and as heavy assault units when the terrain permits it. In these, the PKs would shine because of their mobility, armor and weapons. The downside of all of this is the logistics, these things need ammo, spare parts and so on and so forth. I think that they would become their own specialized combat arm with support units and everything.

The would be basically treated like armored vehicles in a way.  

Also one thing is to note: the best PKs where those of THO, the ones that where red in color and also had lasers. The Allies and Axis never had those to begin with and were also weaker. Just keep that in mind. So it seems that they never sold the really good ones to either of the side of the war and kept the best stuff for themselves. We could simply say that after the player blew up the Factory in Siberia, THO could no longer produce them or had to produce their own versions of weaker material.  

If RPK, MG-34 or AK47 (7.62x54) can deal damage to them I am fine with having a few of them here and there (pistol/smg rounds should stay ineffective, of course).

Sorry to correct you here but S2/S3 has the RPD in the game and just as the AK it uses 7,62x39mm, a much smaller round. These would not be able to penetrate armor like that. It would go through body armor but not through armored steel. However I suggest weapons of the following calibers to do that:

.30-06
8mm Mauser
7,62x54R (they already could do that, but it is beyond me why not any of the other large caliber weapons)  
.303 British
Maybe the 7,5mm MAS

as well as heavy grenades, anti-tank grenades and of course Rocket launchers like the Bazooka, Panzerschreck etc.Should be a no brainer seeing that they are primarily used against tanks.  

Another idea would be to add Anti-Tank rifles into the game, but for that we would need new rifle models and stuff. Its odd, PTRS, Boys AT and such are all in game, but as PK weapons only, even if these existed as perfectly normal rifles as well. Figures.

Anyway, another thing that would make sense story wise is also, that the Allies and Axis started producing their own version of the PKs that where and are of course inferior to the other models and have different designs/looks suited for their use by the Nations who produced them, like for example the Soviets having a version that is geared towards heavy assaults, while the USA use them for infantry support etc. These would not show up inagme (at least not if we dont get a modeler) simply for the fact that these new designs are all government property and dont get exported. So if anything the player has to make use of the older Axis and Allies models and maybe the few THO versions that still exist.

We could also simply make many of the missions like the Russian Factory mission in S2 and have the player barren from using them most of the time because it would raise too much suspicion.

Btw, sci-fi and futuristic is pretty much the same to me. However if we assume that all these things are historical but for some reason never made it into history books (because someone wiped those guys out) - then I can definitely live with that. We can go with all kinds of monstrosities and abominations (as long as we find fitting models).

I am a bit confused about what you say about History Books. The setting is a Alternative History one, meaning that stuff went differently from what we experienced. The only really sci-fi aspect are the laser PKs and the laser weapons from the game, most other stuff I suggested is based on actual plans and prototypes that never made it beyond the blueprints or where actually build but came to late/where to few/or never used.

All this would be actual history for this alternate world, it would be in the history books there, expect maybe THO and their ilk, because this stuff was kept secret on purpose. Die Wölfe could also been kept secret as well as whatever experiments where conducted to create zombies or so. Maybe some of the stuff got simply lost in the war, that happens.

It is interesting you mention Wolfenstein, because that game had stuff like Tesla and Particle weapons in it, a Black Sun dimension with some sort of Lovecraftian Horrors and Nazi soldiers in power suits fighting you. This stuff was even more crazy then what we are talking about.

Speaking of Lovecraftian horrors: that would be wroth an idea as well, if its not too insane for you. There is actually a Tabletop RPg that is called "Achtung! Chuthullu" where the Nazis try to awaken the Elder Gods or something. Just as a side note.

I really hope that my idea of an accelerated technological development resulting in what where blueprints and prototypes actually making it to the front are not too radical for you. So please share your concerns with me in this, because in the end, its just a background setting and what will have little impact on the gameplay, or does it really rustle your jimmies if a german town was bombed by a B-17 or a XB-35 Bomber?

Anyway back to business as usual.

The "Amoeba" samples are ready (and some other ones you posted). Take a look:

Fantastic job as always, same with the other russians. If you want you could try the Russian TTsMKK pattern that I gave you next on the same models you put the Amoba camo on, it should work. I think we can then conclude the Russian uniforms.

The regular trooper looks good - any idea on the models to try that with?
My best bet for the Wolf Trooper would be the model of the German Spy in camo uniform from S2, plus the cap of either the desert gunner or the regular german soldier.

Posted Image
There marked him for you. Try Splittertarn as a camo choice, it was in the german camo pack I gave you. It should work hopefully on him. If not we have to see if we can find some other camo instead or opt for something more "fictional" like in the drawing. Should that model not work, then let me know.

Also yes there is one more suggestion I wanted to do that sprung up on me today. Would it be possible, to use the Desert Gunner uniform, give him a Greatcoat/Trench coat style texturing like the US Soldiers wore in Winter (see page 3 or use this image for reference)  

Posted Image

Give that model the US helmet from the US Army Soldier NPC and to top it all off, a gas mask. I hope that Okim can provide his gas mask model for that, then that would be amazing. Thats just an idea of course. Let me know what you think about that. The idea is to make them look like this:

Posted Image

Also what about some sort of GI Hero type clothing, like this:

Posted Image

Would that be possible without new models? If not its okay. Well these are the only ideas for uniforms I have at the moment. Keep up the good work.

Man this post got long winded, hope anyone even reads all that stuff that I have been blupring about. XD
"War. War never changes"

#54 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

Okay, the heavily armored trooper is ready. I don't know if I need to add shin guards or not. Check them out:

Posted Image

Caution: They are very, very mean!

Good points, Lt. I do read your posts in their entirety. Whether short or long :)

Just a note here. My perspective about "history" as applied to our plot is that I am more intrigued by a scenario where the player deals with events that appear to happen in real historical world, within real historical timeline. Fictional elements of fantastic propotions are fine as long as they fit into that timeline and are explained properly.

Ex.: THO was destroyed in the North sea - the newspaper at the end reports that the explosion was actually a volcano erupting - nice. That's all I need.

We know what "really happened" but it also fits into the known history - nothing like that apparently occurred. Perfect.

Secret bomber - fine, zombies - fine, even ocasional tesla gun or PK - fine... we just need to clean it up at the end. Destroy all the evidence or contain all the evidence for further study and research - hence nothing is mentioned in our history books because as far as the general public and press are concerned - none of those things ever happened, thanks to the Player's efforts. Do you see my point now?

It is more about my comfort level than anything else. I would like to stay interested... And for that I'd like to avoid contantly struggling with my "suspension of disbelief". When I play Bethesda's or Bioware's titles I play a fantasy game - no problem. I can easily immerse in it. I don't see S^2 and its sequels in the same light.

After all it's a big undertaking - to create a believable world to mess around with. I have no idea how all these accelerated research will fit into the story. Hopefully we'll come up with an explanation for why it's never been heard of.

The same with Wolfenstein - as long as we take care of the loose ends - I've no problem with crazy experiments and horrifying abominations.

Occult is a little different so long as the fantasy (gods, spirits, etc.) is involved. I am not so sure about it. It is an interesting topic though.

Now, I am not discarding your ideas; just expressing my concerns on the subject.

I'll address the rest a bit later. I want to finish a couple more uniforms first.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

~Blunter~

#55 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hey well done armor trooper, I like it.

Well let me address some of your points.

Just a note here. My perspective about "history" as applied to our plot is that I am more intrigued by a scenario where the player deals with events that appear to happen in real historical world, within real historical timeline. Fictional elements of fantastic propotions are fine as long as they fit into that timeline and are explained properly.

The problem here is, that if we REALLY go by the story that I wrote up about Germany being ruled by a totally different Government and the Nazis never taking power, then your argument here falls apart, then we know what really happened in our timeline and the events of how and why the Nazis took power etc. This point alone means that we would have to scrap the idea I purposed to you, because for this to work, we need to have a totally different setting and premise, meaning that certain things did not happen as they actually did.

I am more comfortable to set the mod into a Alternative History setting because it allows us greater freedom to do what we want to do. We are not obliged to limit ourselves to the facts and what really happened, we can create new events, new storylines, new characters, new technology etc. I also think that the player would be perfectly fine and willing to suspend his disbelieve as long as we can make it a solid scenario and base the events and tech on stuff that actually existed or was in development, like for example, the german Arado Bomber or the Horton Single Wing Aircraft, the British EM1 and EM2 rifle projects or the USA with their super Pershing or T-28 Heavy Tank.  

Ex.: THO was destroyed in the North sea - the newspaper at the end reports that the explosion was actually a volcano erupting - nice. That's all I need.
Well yes, the thing just is that the British Goverment or better the Allies know about that event and what really happened, not to mention that in our timeline such a thing never occurred, there was never such a report. This is another event that fits more into a Alternate History event. My problem here also would be that non of the ex-SOE officers talked about that event? They kept it all secret for over 60 years despite the fact there are tons of documents about it?

Not to mention that the Allies and Axis both had PKs and blueprints of them as well as THO laser weapon and rocket technology. Something like that would be exploited by the West and East after the war and would create new sorts of technology. See how rocket and missile technology was accelerated after the Soviets captured all the technicians of Wehrner von Braun and how he himself influenced the rocket tech in the USA.

Jet fighters and bombers the same story. It is well know that a lot of blueprints and such where used in the research on both sides of the cold war. Now imaging if they had Infantry Armor and such at hand, they would not waste that tech and try to keep it secret, fuck no, they would put their best researchers on it to build more and better suits and use them for propaganda.

As you can see, it would simply not cut it to say "Yeah it was kept secret by the CIA and KGB for over 60 years and thats why its not in our history books"

It is more about my comfort level than anything else. I would like to stay interested... And for that I'd like to avoid contantly struggling with my "suspension of disbelief". When I play Bethesda's or Bioware's titles I play a fantasy game - no problem. I can easily immerse in it. I don't see S^2 and its sequels in the same light.
I can understand that, but maybe you are worrying to much about that. Lets have fun with this mod and its scenario. I think the problem here is that until the PKs show up, Silent Strom plays like a regular WWII turn based Strategy Game ala Commandos and you do not see or hear about the "rest of the world" so to speak. It then comes as a shock to learn about all those sci-fi elements in the game with the PKs, the orbital Laser and stuff like this.

Also, dont worry, I think I will manage to keep you interested in this project. I dont see a reason for you to feel uncomfortable with setting all this in its own "universe" with its own unique history.

I know a lot of people have said that once the PKs show up they stopped playing and that they where kinda irritated about this and how they fit in. I think Nival dropped the ball at this once again, they should have fleshed out the background story more and established the Alternative History it is set in a lot better, basically what I am trying with the whole background story we are discussing here.

After all it's a big undertaking - to create a believable world to mess around with. I have no idea how all these accelerated research will fit into the story. Hopefully we'll come up with an explanation for why it's never been heard of.

I think that what I purposed is believable, story wise.I know its not to everyones taste but it would give us a lot of freedom to operate and leeway with certain things and we also can avoid running into the issue of people saying "Thats not how it happened, its all wrong". As for the accelerated tech part: Remember Kochs Mansion in Silent Strom? Koch tries to escape with a thing that looks like a rocket with rotors on it. He even has a own silo for it.

That thing was the Fucke-Wullf Treibflügel:  http://www.luft46.com/fw/fwtrieb.html
http://discaircraft....n.us/FOCKE1.htm

That thing was designed in 1944 and never build, but in the game, we can see it one year earlier and with German markings no less, its even in the game trailer and seen on official screenshots. So if Koch has such a thing at this point of the war, then it is very likely that we have technological acceleration in action. Okay you could say that it was the prototype and build by THO and no other things exited, but I just ask me how Koch kept that secret if his HQ had a lab and a hanger in the middle of germany.

These and other things throughout the game made it clear that it is an alternative history setting. As I said, we can make this all happen and believable and we are on the right track. Nothing what we discussed so far is overly fantastic or unrealistic that the player would starch his head at.

The same with Wolfenstein - as long as we take care of the loose ends - I've no problem with crazy experiments and horrifying abominations.
It is good you mentioned Wolfenstein because Wolfenstein is one of those games that makes it clear it is set in a Alternative History setting from the get go. In the game universe, it is canon and fact that BJ killed Hitler and it is actually part of the history there. It is mentioned in one of the games intros (I think it was one of the hand held games) and I do think there is either a follow up game or mod, not exactly sure, where people talk about the exploits of Blazkowicz  and that he is a war hero.

Fuck, I even thing they directly mention that he was the man who killed Hitler. In that game all this works perfectly and no one is questioning that.

Occult is a little different so long as the fantasy (gods, spirits, etc.) is involved. I am not so sure about it. It is an interesting topic though.

Well if we talk about Lovecrafts monstrosities, then be assured that they are not supernatural. Everything he created in the cuhtullu Mythos are aliens and he went to great lengths to explain them. Yes cuthullu, The Elder Things, MiGo are all aliens. The cults around them can be said to be alien cults. It is actually very interesting stuff.

Now, I am not discarding your ideas; just expressing my concerns on the subject.
As I said, I do understand your concerns, but I think that you have no reasons to worry.

BTW: why not check out this DA group: http://weirdwwiigroup.deviantart.com/
"War. War never changes"

#56 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Also I am wondering, can we make use of these Terror Gasmask? Would be nice to have them for some of the Uniforms as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• GasMasks 01.png

"War. War never changes"

#57 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

The requested Splinter Camo is ready. I added the fur just like on that grenadier in the picture you provided.
What do you think?

Posted Image

I'll look for that Russian texture you referenced.
Americans look interesting. I'll get back to you soon...

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

~Blunter~

#58 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

That looks fantastic, thank you. Just a note, the gloves look a bit odd, can you fix that? I think black gloves work just fine.
"War. War never changes"

#59 BlunterII

BlunterII

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostLt.Havoc, on 10 February 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

That looks fantastic, thank you. Just a note, the gloves look a bit odd, can you fix that? I think black gloves work just fine.

Well, the part you took for a glove is actually part of that model - it partially covers the wrist, the black glove was already there. But we can change it to leather padding, like this. (Both German agent and German Scout class uniform share similar geometry, so I borrowed the padding from female scout uniform)

Posted Image

and while I was at it I thought it would only be fair to create a splinter camo for female characters too.

Posted Image

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

~Blunter~

#60 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Oh okay, I was not aware of that. Well, with the padding it looks really good. Great job. Also about the russian camo pattern, here they are again, from page 1:

http://i4.photobucke...ssianTTsMKK.png
This is the TTsMK pattern version 1.

http://i4.photobucke...sMKK65x32cm.png

Version 2

http://i4.photobucke...grey35x37cm.png
Thats a 1948 Leaf pattern version 1

http://i4.photobucke...haki35x37cm.png
Version 2

Not sure about the 1948 Leaf Pattern but I would at least like to see you try the 1944  TTsMK pattern, either variant is fine by me. Well I have to say this is coming along nicely. I dont have any more uniform requests at this point because we covered pretty much all the important ones I can think of. Still if you are looking for a certain texture or something that you want to see, then let me know.

By the way, I was wondering about Hammer and Sickle, does this game come with the same amount of guns as S2/S3 or does it has even less weapons? I am just wondering if there is anything new weapon wise in that game that could be imported over to S2/S3.
"War. War never changes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users