New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

Good idea TokyoRose, we could need more of those. I also say that the German Female Soldier Uniform could use some variants, just like the Axis Female Scout uniform. The Soldier uniform should use of course german camos, the scout uniform could get the Italian camo among the camos, that would mean we have lots more female uniforms by just adding camo variants to these.

P.S. I changed the database values to 1700000. The next version of "All Uniforms" should not conflict with "Random Storm". The offending entries were found and deleted with extreme prejudice.

Many thanks!

Possible bug: Using All Uniforms 2.0 (and no other mods) my sniper no longer uses the sniper stance when shooting. He shoots like a regular character.

I tried starting a new campaign to test this. Any ideas for a quick fix? The sniper has always been my main character, and he just doesn't look "sniper-y" when using a regular pose.

Now that you say it, you are right, say have you tried to use non modded clothing to see if they use sniper stances? Does S3 even still use the special sniper animations? But yeah I have the same "problem" that the snipers do not use speical sniper animation, but it seems to to effect gameplay in any way.

Maybe the Female Axis Medic? Only female model I know of that has both a longcoat and pants.

All right, Ecthel, I'll see if I can make a DW officer out of that model.

Blunter:

Would it be possible to make these variations?

Allies Male Sniper Uniform (getitem 548): Night Camo (black), Desert Camo and Winter Camo variations

Commando Overalls (getitem 650): Night Camo (black), Desert Camo and Winter Camo variations

What texture would you suggest for the Desert and Winter Camos, TR?

Good idea TokyoRose, we could need more of those. I also say that the German Female Soldier Uniform could use some variants, just like the Axis Female Scout uniform. The Soldier uniform should use of course german camos, the scout uniform could get the Italian camo among the camos, that would mean we have lots more female uniforms by just adding camo variants to these.

Many thanks!

You are welcome, Lt. (Keep in mind that when we start using custom Chapter maps - Komik's randoms will become inaccessible)

German Female Soldier with the Camos that we used on the Saboteur models Summer, Fall and Peadot? German Female Scout with red "Telo Mimetico" (the whole body or just the top)?

Possible bug: Using All Uniforms 2.0 (and no other mods) my sniper no longer uses the sniper stance when shooting. He shoots like a regular character.

I tried starting a new campaign to test this. Any ideas for a quick fix? The sniper has always been my main character, and he just doesn't look "sniper-y" when using a regular pose.

It's not a bug, TR. It is a side effect of using a custom class. Special animations are "tied" to the original classes, any custom ones draw from the regular animation pool. I discovered it when Okim asked me about a way to get rid of the annoying German Soldier MG (one-handed) and SMG (sideways) animation. The only way I could do it was by creating a utility mod with custom classes.

Is it game breaking for you? (i.e. do you need those animations back?).

Still working on the Castle.

Hundreds of intermediate steps (textures, materials, models, containers, objects, effects, etc.)

Castle so far:

Z_Castle_Template1%252848x48%2529.png

I used one of the default lights (I believe it was originally intended for the Destroyed City featured in the S^2 Demo)

Things to be added:

- Lights (spot lights, regular lights, torches and burning barrels giving off light)

- Keep (windows, sniper positions, possibly ladders, maybe a basement...)

- Smoke from burning fires or barrels

- Surrounding area (where the enemies will be coming from): vegetation (either regular pine forest or burned trees), a bridge over a creek or a deep ditch, more sandbags for outside fortifications, maybe a pallisade partially blocking the destroyed walls and gates, a distant road where the infrequent relief might show up from time to time.

- Map Lighting (will make it much darker and hopefully spookier)

Forgot to add: The picture above is a 48x48 template. The actual game size template is going to be 80x80 (to accommodate the surrounding forest or swamp and a possible escape location).

Aside from Castle I am importing a lot of my old stuff. Coniferous trees in S^2 and S^3 were all covered in snow and therefore were unsuitable for summer templates. I removed the snow and redrew the textures. I am busy making them into objects right now. It involves a lot of steps but in the end I think they are going to be useful (well, I like building pine forest templates with sandy forest floor and pine needles all over it) smile.png

I am still in the middle of it.

Z_Pines_And_Spruces_%2528NoSnow%2529.png

and birches:

Z_Birches.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

You are welcome, Lt. (Keep in mind that when we start using custom Chapter maps - Komik's randoms will become inaccessible)

Awwww........really? Oh well.

German Female Soldier with the Camos that we used on the Saboteur models Summer, Fall and Peadot? German Female Scout with red "Telo Mimetico" (the whole body or just the top)?

Well yes, I thought to give the female soldier the same camos you gave the male soldier uniforms also Summer, Fall and peadot. I also thought you could experiment a bit with tjhe scout uniform and see what camos you can apply to it, but yes the Italian camo both pants and top would be nice. Maybe you can also do snow/winter versions of these.

You could also try the Sumpfmuster and Splitter musters as well, we need those for the next version anyway.

Blunter: I'm blown away. That castle is epic, and even at this early stage is better than what I pictured in my head.

A few things I would hope to see:

1) Can a sniper reach that window in the Keep? Or maybe climb a ladder to sit on the roof on top of the Keep?

2) A bridge and shallow trench to the south of the castle.

3) An ammo locker ... inside the Keep, maybe?

4) It will probably look out of place in this setting, but can you add a wood tower near the castle? I'd be curious to see how it looks.

For the Desert and Winter camo variations, I'd suggest using these Thor's Hammer textures for winter and UK Commandos textures (third from left) for Desert.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the sniper pose being linked to custom characters. I'll experiment and post back.

In its current state, "game-breaking" is too strong a word, but snipers don't feel like snipers without the sniper pose.

Blunter: Just experimented a little.

So it looks like if I choose the default female sniper, she uses the special sniper animations, but if I create a custom character, he won't use the special sniper animations. Correct?

If that's the case, is there a workaround to get the animations back? Would it be possible to tie sniper animations to a uniform, so that I can equip a uniform to get the animations?

Blunter, say can you look at what item number the M20 Super Bazooka AP rockets have or if there is even such a thing at all? I tried to spawn some in using the console but the code, 543 doesnt do anything so I presume the M20 doesnt even have AP rounds, which would be odd considering that the M20 was the prime anti armor weapon of its day. I ask because next missions I will have to fight PKs and I need heavy firepower to kill them.

Well only Blunters mod and the Ammo fixes mod by Q-Stone, the version for Sentinels. I checked the readme and it only says that it fixed the names of the weapons and didnt remove anything so, no idea. Maybe I was typing in the wrong code or something else was going on. I will have to check it again.

here is the forum thread of the mod: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/4772-my-new-mod-ammofixes/

Correction: Cookie's Weapon Mod is the one that breaks AP ammo. My hunch is that you must have incorrectly entered the getitem code. I'm using Blunter's mod and 543 works.

I seem to recall that the Ammo Fixes mod contains a known bug that breaks AP ammo. It's mentioned in the Read Me that comes with the mod, I believe.

No, that was Cookies weapon mod that did that because he changed the values of all the weapons. Ammo fixes has no such problems because it only makes changes to the names of most weapons. The thing is, I can spawn in any other ammo, weapon or item I want from the list but the M20 AP rocket is the only thing that I cant seem to spawn into my inventory. That is kind of strange. I just spawned in Bazooka, panzerfaust, Panzerschrek, PIAT and whatever else AP ammo in, but no such luck with the M20. I type in "getitem 543" and nothing happens, no error message, nothing, as if this item number isnt assigned to anything or something. Its a real mystery to me.

Then maybe Ammo Fixes is the culprit. Try removing it.

As Blunter said before, mods may inadvertently change things. So perhaps the Ammo Fixes mod nerfed M20 AP rockets.

Well, readme doesnt say such things but I removed the mod using the add mod tool, spawned in the AP rockets, then added the mod and the rockets are still there, so they where not removed, so at least there is that. No idea if I can use the rockets, I would have to test that as well, but if the AP rocket thing is the only mod related issue, then its not really a big of a problem.

Binoculars still crashing every equip and I'm still not using any mods.

Any idea what's going on?

What do you mean? Do you mean putting it in the hand of the character crashes the game instantly or just when you put it into the inventory? My scout has binos as so far no problems, I did not try out using them yet but I will go and try that out soon and see what happens.

Okay I can confirm Firemans problem. As it seems, you can swap out the binoculars with another item that you are holding, the game will crash. The only way around it seems to empty a hand slot and then place the binoculars in there and if you want to hold another item to remove the binoculars from the hand slot and then place whatever item you want into there.

Awwww........really? Oh well.

Well yes, I thought to give the female soldier the same camos you gave the male soldier uniforms also Summer, Fall and peadot. I also thought you could experiment a bit with tjhe scout uniform and see what camos you can apply to it, but yes the Italian camo both pants and top would be nice. Maybe you can also do snow/winter versions of these.

You could also try the Sumpfmuster and Splitter musters as well, we need those for the next version anyway.

Sounds good, Lt. I'll give those a try. Shouldn't be too hard as I already have the necessary camo textures and uniform parts.

By scout uniform you meant Axis Female, correct?

Blunter: I'm blown away. That castle is epic, and even at this early stage is better than what I pictured in my head.

Thanks. I am creating a lot of different things: barrels with various fire effects attached to them (dancing fire with dynamic light, it's fun you'll see, bunches of sub-templates for trees and furniture, different rocks and cliffs, importing some of the textures I've accumulated over the years, etc.)

A few things I would hope to see:

1) Can a sniper reach that window in the Keep? Or maybe climb a ladder to sit on the roof on top of the Keep?

Yes, I made a balcony on the 3rd floor facing W & S, the E window leads to some carefully placed "roof steps" - enabling one's characters to reach the top of the roof (with good courtyard and wall coverage).

2) A bridge and shallow trench to the south of the castle.

Yes, I am already on it. The bridge is probably going to be a stone one (the wooden doesn't really fit the theme .

3) An ammo locker ... inside the Keep, maybe?

Definitely. I was thinking about multiple chests and lockers. We'll elaborate about their contents when I am about to release the map.

4) It will probably look out of place in this setting, but can you add a wood tower near the castle? I'd be curious to see how it looks.

I am afraid - wooden towers will be out of place. You know I could put together a separate encounter with those.

For the Desert and Winter camo variations, I'd suggest using these Thor's Hammer textures for winter and UK Commandos textures (third from left) for Desert.

Got it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the sniper pose being linked to custom characters. I'll experiment and post back.

In its current state, "game-breaking" is too strong a word, but snipers don't feel like snipers without the sniper pose.

Blunter: Just experimented a little.

So it looks like if I choose the default female sniper, she uses the special sniper animations, but if I create a custom character, he won't use the special sniper animations. Correct?

If that's the case, is there a workaround to get the animations back? Would it be possible to tie sniper animations to a uniform, so that I can equip a uniform to get the animations?

The game characters use different animations based on their stance, weapon they are holding, their class and a few other conditions. Since I created custom classes with different IDs most (if not all) of the "special" animations wouldn't show. Toby, the sniper, was the only one I forgot to switch to a custom class.

Don't worry, I fixed that. Snipers will use their special animations in the next version. smile.png

Binoculars still crashing every equip and I'm still not using any mods.

Any idea what's going on?

Thank you for catching it, Fireman. My initial testing was incomplete. The grenades and knives don't cause the crash - only firearms do.

After quite a few hours of digging through hundreds of entries - I finally figured out what the problem is - in RPG Weapons db table I didn't enter the correct weapon animation ID (1 through 18) - hence the crash when switching to any firearms (since the binoculars is a weapon, as far as the game logic is concerned).

I gave them a pistol animation for now (it only shows in the character screen, not on the map).

In short - Fixed! (Thank you, again)

Okay I can confirm Firemans problem. As it seems, you can swap out the binoculars with another item that you are holding, the game will crash. The only way around it seems to empty a hand slot and then place the binoculars in there and if you want to hold another item to remove the binoculars from the hand slot and then place whatever item you want into there.

Thank you for confirming it, Lt. Fixed now.

P.S.: Lt., I didn't modify any weapons' or ammos' statistics or names. If you think it is something we need - I can list all the ammos and weapons used in the game - and you could provide all the appropriate name changes (for the next version of the mod). Would you like to do that?

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Blunter whats with the black text on the black background? Is there anything to hide? and yes I meant the Axis scout uniform but you can try the allied scout as well if you want.

Also there is really no way to avoid breaking Random Storm mod when using new random encounters? Also should we still call them Random Encounters or is a better title Special Encounters? Also another thing I have been thinking about: would it be possible to add new weapons?

Blunter whats with the black text on the black background? Is there anything to hide? and yes I meant the Axis scout uniform but you can try the allied scout as well if you want.

Also there is really no way to avoid breaking Random Storm mod when using new random encounters? Also should we still call them Random Encounters or is a better title Special Encounters? Also another thing I have been thinking about: would it be possible to add new weapons?

Lt., those are just lines from TR's post.

I am not changing the Chapter Maps yet. So for v 2.1 and 2.5 - Random Storm will be accessible.

Generally, adding new random encounters involves: right-clicking on the chapter map,... and creating a zone where the random encounter will appear (it can be tiny or large, even the size of the whole chapter map). If we stay with the default chapters - Random Storm encounters will remain. In case we decide to go with new maps (not just the background texture change, but different locations) - there'll be gone.

What is it that you like about Random Storm the most? The added variety? Or is there something special that you know you'll miss if it's not available?

We can call them whatever we want to call them. In the editor they are refered to as "random encounters". In their properties we can specify how often they'll appear. Once - for one-time encounters (like the bank) or unlimited number of times (like all the others). We can also adjust the probability of them becoming visible to the player (0 - never, ...., 100 - always visible). I believe I can change the icon for them as well (it would affect them all, though).

After messing around with the binoculars - I think I can create new weapons and new ammos as well (the latter will need a bit of testing).

The only limitation is - no new models, only retexturing of the existing ones, just like with the uniforms.

All sounds great, Blunter. I'm super excited. Is there an ETA for Uniforms 2.5? I'm eager to start a new campaign, but my hero just doesn't look right without the sniper animations.

I am excited too.

That will be v 2.1: fixed binoculars, sniper animations reversed, zombie defense castle, reduced prices (50%) for most of the surplus uniforms

I am hoping to get it done in several days.

Still unsure where to stick the "Castle" encounter scenario wise. We could make it the very first encounter before meeting Boris, or just as a random encounter somewhere in Poland or Britain... Hmm... What do you think?

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

I'd make the zombie castle survival encounter a 100% random encounter that becomes active once you can start choosing missions at the base. I'd place the random encounter in Germany (Nazi zombies and all). Is it possible to have the random encounter icon always appear in a specific spot on the map? That way we'll know where to find it. Or perhaps you can use a custom random encounter icon for the zombie scenario. I'd always leave the option to replay the zombie scenario.

And finally, I wouldn't make it a mission before Boris, though, because I want to be able to use my squad to beat back the zombie hordes.

As far as Random Storm is concerned, the actual missions aren't amazing, but it's just more content, which is a great thing to have since S3 is such a short game.

That's why new maps (especially maps with interesting terrain) are so invaluable. A new map, especially if it's a good one, can be played a dozen times and a dozen different ways. That's why I wish S3 had an easy-to-use random mission generator. It would add so much replay value.

In conclusion: The more maps the merrier.

What is it that you like about Random Storm the most? The added variety? Or is there something special that you know you'll miss if it's not available?

Yes added variety. Tokyo Rose hit the nail on the head, S3 is a very short game so every extra content is welcome. That is one of the things we still need to discuss regarding out "yet-to-be-named-mod": how long should this mod be, how many maps should it have and what sort of random encounters or special encounters?

Also we should change the name for "all Uniforms mod" to something else with the next version, I mean, its more then just uniforms, it also has game tweaks and new random encounters and all that jazz. But thats up to you Blunter.

P.S.: Lt., I didn't modify any weapons' or ammos' statistics or names. If you think it is something we need - I can list all the ammos and weapons used in the game - and you could provide all the appropriate name changes (for the next version of the mod). Would you like to do that?

Yes. The point of ammo and weapon fixes is, that it corrects the names of the weapons as well as some of the ammo. One example is the Luger pistol in caliber .38 Parabellum, something that never existed and makes no sense if you think about it. There was however a .45 ACP prototype luger. I´ll will attach the readme file of the ammo fixes mod here so you can see what would need to be changed.

After messing around with the binoculars - I think I can create new weapons and new ammos as well (the latter will need a bit of testing).

The only limitation is - no new models, only retexturing of the existing ones, just like with the uniforms.

Hmm, I thought you had it figured out how to import/export weapons? Cant you ask Okim how he did it? I think that back in the beginning of the thread I already mentioned that it would be really interesting to add new models. The problem is that some of the new weapons I would like to see in the bigger mod would need new models, you cant just do them via re-skinning of existing items. Anyway, it was just a thought anyway.

While we are at it, I have to mention the one or other thing after playing S3 for the last few weeks. First thing that I noticed is, that the Panzerkleins are no longer that big of a deal. In S2, these things where almost invincible, specially the THO ones that had 600 armor points. In S3 due to the fact you have high powered rifles that make up ti 60 penetration, you can easily kill the pilots of the PKs

With the addition of AP rockets, PKs suddenly look like tin cans. During the base defense mission, Nessie in a Allied PK took out 3 enemy PKs just using medium/heavy mortar rounds. What I found out is, that these Allied PKs only have like 200 armor points. Doug noticed how weak they where when his PK broke down after only being moderately hit by enemy PK machine guns and a light mortar round.

Hell even the THO PKs dont survive long enough, Nessie used mortar rounds against them as well. Too bad the THO PKs tend to simply explode when destroyed instead of shutting down like the Allied PK.

Oh and mines are also a PK killer, specially heavy mines. The most funny thing is to see the enemy pilots getting out of their PKs to attack you with pistols or just bare hands.

I recall that S2 also had Soldier, Scout and Sniper Pks not to mention that some of the bad guys used special PKs, hell we dont even see any Axis PKs (at least I think so) Would be nice to have these back. Seeing that we can add new models into the game, new PKs are out of the question , but we could re-texture the existing ones, so there is at least that.

So here is the real question: do you guys think that the S3 PKs are too weak in terms of armor and firepower or are they fine as they are?

Speaking of armor, I do have a request: would it be possible to create a sand colored and a snow colored body armors? I ask because it looks odd to wear a black armor to a snow camo suit or a desert outfit. It just does not look right you know.

Oh I also noticed that if you use one of the custom uniforms, the PK pilots do not wear masks/tanker caps, but are just hat less. Its not a problem because you can have them wear the Robotics Specialist suit just as well. BTW: has body armor inside a PK any effect? I am just wondering because both Doug and Nessie now wear heavy body armor inside their PKs. I hoped that they would benefit from additional protection against AP rifle bullets.

I think thats all for the moment.

readme.txt

Okay I also have to say something about the weapons in general. I can see why Cookie made a mod that changed the weapons stats, because a lot of them make no sense and seem to be given rather arbitrary. The Thompson SMG for example does more damage then the STG-44, despite the fact that the Thompson fires a pistol bullet while the other fires a intermediate round. Also whats up with those random as fuck ranges of like 460 meters for the Garand M1 etc.? Why not make it clean cut and say 500 meters?

Also I am not sure about you guys, but the way new stuff is introduce by the seller is kind of odd, you only get new items after making main missions and not after random encounters or leveling up. Could we not just have it set that items become available at the seller earlier/By leveling up or after beating random encounters? Hell I would not mind having random encounters where you find weapons as well. I mean that Some weapons just dont get much use because they show up so late in the game. Its kind of frustrating.

Hell just make most weapons available at the very beginning, the guns cost a lot anyway so if you are not cheating you wont afford all weapons anyway. Just some random thoughts.

I generally agree. But re-balancing all the weapons is a massive undertaking that radically changes (and potentially unbalances) the game.

As far as making weapons earlier, well, I just use getitem codes. As I said before, I've been playing S3 on and off for eight years, so there's no such thing as cheating anymore :)

And besides, I think the game is far more interesting with the "good" weapons early on.