UFO Extender 1.29

Tycho

Version 1.29:

• Slow Geoscape Clock: Slows the clock and game to be closer to the selected rate per 1 second of real time.
  • Battlescape Speed: Alters the base game speed, scroll rate, and animations. [=1:very slow...=5:very fast]. Fine tune with speed settings in options menu.
  • Possible fix for random crash in the battlescape after an alien throws an object.
  • Clip Cursor should work with dual monitor systems in full screen mode.

Update: A new version has been released. See the "UFO Extender" topic for the lastest version. Thanks for supporting UFO Extender!

Thanks grant!

The next release is going to be even better. Thanks to some guys who starting helping out in the last few weeks, the next release will have some improvements in video, hopefully end all problems with MP3s and codecs causing the game to crash, and some interesting mods to the game as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently 'Know Thy Enemy' mod applies a penalty to the damage generated on a hit unless the player has done the appropriate alien autopsy or gets a 'lucky' shot that bypasses the penalty mechanism. It was a first attempt to make another branch of the research tree have more impact on the game rather than fluff text and add a logical element that would make the game more challenging. Since then, I have thought more about this and I think I have found a better way to implement this, which will work best with the an armor mod as well:

'Ablative armor'

1. Armor Piercing: no change from current method used.

2. Laser(Gauss) and Plasma (Sonic) attacks will eat away at the armor: The current armor value in the location hit is doubled and then damage is subtracted from this value. The remaining armor value (if any) is halved and saved. For these attack types, armor is stronger but is gone quickly.

3. HE works just like laser and plasma.

4. Stun damage depends on the weapons used: the stun rod works like an AP attack vs armor (no change from original method), but a stun bomb is applied against the modified armor value.

5. IN is unchanged, for now.

'Know thy Enemy' will be changed to affect the damage that is applied against the unit's health:

• Headshot: full damage
  • Other locations: If autopsy on this unit type has been done: full damage. Otherwise half damage.
  • HE: damage is always full.

A soldier in power(ion) armor can take at least one seriously good hit from a heavy plasma(sonic) from the front without damage to the soldier. I've had a lot of occasions were a soldier in just coveralls was able to take a hit from a plasma pistol and survive, although be seriously wounded. IN damage has been left as it is for now, although some people are requesting its damage model be changed.

Without having performed an autopsy, even the lowly sectoid requires an average of two hits to kill when using a rifle or a laser rifle. Once one has done the autopsy, one shot kills should occur with average damage applied.

Feedback is welcome.

Edited by Tycho

I've already tested and fixed the problem of using psionics on large creatures.

I realized I can use the same procedure to apply against explosions and large creatures. Currently, each part of the large creature has seperate damage applied to it, even though they all share one pool of health points. I can modify the code so that once a part of a large creature takes damage from an explosion, the rest of it will be skipped.

Thoughts?