Human Tech Rebalance mod. *Work in progress*

Patupi

OK, after a bit of a hiccup and trouble getting started I've reworked my current mod for UFO Afterlight and it seems to be working (so far)

DL Link:

HumanTechRebalance_0-5.zip

Unzip into the main AL directory.

At present not a lot added or changed, and no graphics altered at all (having issues with both model import and icon import/export) Finally got icons at least to work. Still trying to get models to work right.

This mod adds ability to build ammo for Earth weapons (FN2000, colt revolver and pistol), adds in 3 machine guns after the second Earth tech is researched.

The archeological laser and the laser rifle have been changed to fire laser beams instead of laser pulses. The game now treats beams and pulses differently. Consider pulses as sort of armor piercing, and beams as the opposite. Pulses will be a little better vs more heavily armored targets and beams will be better against unarmored targets. When AP ammo is put in later the same will be true. It won't be useful to switch over to entirely AP ammo as on unarmored targets AP bullets will tend to 'blow through' and do little damage.

A fire extinguisher has been added, using flamethrower animation and having ammo for both organic and inorganic targets (ie robots)

Custom sounds for laser beams, the new machine guns and the fire extinguisher have been added in, though the machine gun ones do need some work to differentiate them.

A new suit based on the life support armor is available, using nanotechnology to heal the wearer slowly. It uses an effect based on fire damage so the 'flame' symbol comes up in the wearer's portrait when it is working.

Hope there is someone else out there still interested in UFO AL mods!

(EDIT: almost forgot, changed the Gatling gun to fire more rapidly, do a little less damage, have 200 rounds per magazine and have a shorter range. It's now rather powerful, but only at short range.)

(EDIT: minor edit, removed test addition that was left in to give acid grenades at start to test the fire extinguishers.)

(EDIT: 12/28/2012 - I've been play testing this and the balance seems a bit off. I'm going to lengthen pulse laser ranges, shorten beam laser ranges and maybe lengthen Reticulan lasers even longer. Damage on the beam lasers is a little high at present, but that's mainly against early, unarmored foes. Might increase armor's resistance vs both pulse and beam a little, making pulse lasers less effective vs early enemies. Might also reduce the beam laser rifle's damage from 6 to 5. Might also need to spruce up the Reticulans to keep the balance as they would fare worse against enemies if their guns do less damage to unarmored foes.)

(EDIT: 1/1/2013 - v0.3 Updated quite a bit. Added in nano regen pack for normal suits. Spruced up the nanoregen effect to use poison instead of fire but had to remove poison from game. Instead the ammo that beastmen used now does confuse instead of poison effect. Graphics and mouse-over text for regen changed. Adjusted some weapon ranges a bit and added in top slot on SMG)

(EDIT:1/9/2013 -v0.5... yeah, missed 0.4 for some reason *shrugs*. Anway, two new suits for Reticulans, new ammo for robot rifle and all ammo and energy cells added with the HTR mod now have new icons. Beastmen poison ammo now does 'slow' damage, making them move slower. Couldn't get confuse effect to do anything to enemies.)

(EDIT- forgot to mention, all beam lasers have a slight chance of damaging an enemies suit. Given the rate of fire this small chance gives a medium chance of damaging an enemy's suit over a burst.)

*sigh* I'm having issues with the mod. For some reason all the equipment to do with 'Automatic Firearms' work fine when added in as initial equipment, but when you research it the production screen crashes. At first I thought it was a conflict with the AMM mod which I'd added in. Both used IDs 3001, 3002 etc. However even changing the technology IDs to 5001 etc didn't work. I'm looking into the problem, but at least this time I have a backup that works (I think) and can start from that point. It's possible though that certain IDs aren't working correctly. I'll check my Entity.txt file and the Pack.txt file again to make sure I didn't miss anything

(EDIT: thought it might be conflicts with production dependancies, perhaps material listings that might not exist... but I took them all out and relied just on the tech dependancy and it still crashes. sad.png )

(EDIT: OK, it seems to be (at least partially) the LMG that's crashing this. Must be a typo somewhere.)

(OK, fixed it and re-uploaded the file. Should work now. It looks like I was using the material requirement "Chemical3" rather than "Chemicals3".)

OK, problem with replacing poison with confuse. It seemed to work, the beastmen had the confuse icon, but for some reason they didn't act confused. I've even shot my own people with confuse ammo and they aren't acting confused. Tried both psiconfuse effect and the drugdrawbackconfuse effect and neither work. Unless I can find another way for it to function I'm going to have to chose something else to replace poison ammo with... maybe electrical? Em damage rounds? Since the Beastmen have been trying to find ways to attack martians all these years that would make sense. Martians are vulnerable to EM damage.

(EDIT: OK, couldn't resolve the confuse issue, but I picked slow instead. Ammo slows the victim's move speed considerably for short periods. Probably reduce the damage it deals as well in all guns. So far in testing it seems to work pretty well)

OK wierd, I must have forgotten to upload v0.4! Well v0.5 is ready anyway. I'll likely not work as quickly on this now the holiday is over and I'm back to work, but I'm trying not to give up on it.

New version has two new suits for your Reticulan allies (no regen suit for them yet. I'm going to add in a research topic eventually that allows non-human regen. That is when you get the 'light regen pack', where-as now it comes with the 1st nanotech topic), new ammo for robot rifle, and new icons for most of the new ammo in the mod. Finally got icons to work! Woot!

(EDIT: Whoops! I accidentally uploaded my version with the rapid tech boost that I used to quickly test the research tree. Corrected)