Afterlight- Excavation suit?

Strokend

Throughought the game, you unlock a lot of different suit types, with different inventory sizes and such, but... Is it possible for there to be a suit that increases hand size? Some of the beatmen guns were two-handed, but "light enough for the beastmen to hold in one hand;" I'd like to see a suit that mimicks that ability. It might require some resizing so that one-handed heavy guns are only three squares wide, though, so the heaviest still rely on two hands.

An "excavation suit" (modeled after the machines they use to carry around stuff at excavation sites) to that specification should be a heavy suit, of course, unless it makes sense with the combined researches to be able to make a lightweight one that reinforces the wearer's strength (would likely require the stimulants research).

--------

An additional idea is an excavation drone; contrary to the rover drones, it would be a walker with arms. Picking items up or swaping items would be slower than humans, but have a high weight capacity. Hulls for it would be different from rover drones, just like Expedition uses different armor than Reticulans.

Excavation drones could even come in two classes: Centaur and Biped; the centaur design would be learned from martian crawlers, and the biped through the mechs. Centaurs would have the ability to not get knocked down and have a sharper aim, but bipeds can maneuver through areas more easily and even dodge when given the proper upgrades, leaving the player to choose based on the mission they're entering.

Both should be fairly bulky in model size, considering they are still drones.

The mechanics of the game don't allow this I think. I suppose it'd be possible to have a manufacture element that built guns that looked like Beastman guns, were one handed, and required an addon that only worked in one suit and say that suit has power augmented gloves. I know ALTR managed to get super heavy weapons that needed an addon to work so that should work. I'm not sure if giving that same ability to existing Beastmen weaponry would affect how they use it. I haven't looked into how the SHvy addon for ALTR works. If it's a permanent effect then you could add that effect to the beastmen suits so it should work.

Adding it to the beastmen weapons though would stop them from being two handed for normal people. The only way to get two is add a 'human conversion' production item, that actually would be building new weapons. I don't think you can specify that a production item consumes one item when it is run in a factory so it wouldn't even reduce the beastmen weapons by one when you build one of the new guns.

(EDIT: Footnote. On a mod I'm currently making I am considering making xtra heavy human weapons (heavy chainguns, laser etc) and heavy one handed weapons (one handed shotgun anyone?) that require a suit add-on to use. You'd still need major ambidexterity to use two heavy one handed weapons simultaneously! Not sure about the 'wielding beastmen weapons one handed' thing. Unless I can figure out a script to reduce your stockpile of beastman weapons by one when you build a human adapted beastman gun I don't think I want to add it in. Would be odd if you only had one of such weapons but could 'adapt' them into hundreds of guns for your people to use one handed!)

(2nd EDIT: OK, thinking on the drones idea. Unfortunately you can't add in new drones to the game exactly. The 'subrace' file doesn't like completely new entries. However you could make new armors for existing drones or martian drones that would turn them into walkers of some sort. I'd have to look around the data to see where 'manipulation' ability is added in. My guess would be the armor so it should work to have a drone that can manipulate. The main problem is the animation. You could copy the 'Mech' body and use that, and have the quad walker scaled up (I'm pretty sure scale is in the subrace 'suit' list... if not we probably can't scale the armor seperately :( ) to use as the centaur. I'd already thought of giving the ability to manufacture new armors for martian drones to give them the ability to use add-ons and make them a little tougher so they are somewhat useful in late game without just increasing HPs)