168 replies to this topic

#61 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I tried some tricks to implement suppression, but the limited amount of coding functions available does not allow to do that the way i want to...

#62 LucaDena

LucaDena

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

Don't worry, the mod is great anyway.

ETA on new version?

#63 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

I`m was a bit busy with preparations for local board gaming convention, so didn`t pay much attention to the mod.

I`ll need a week or so to make 4 new missions, some randoms and unique locations. for the mod. Be patient :)

#64 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

A small progress update.

These are the guns i`ve added and tested for the past month:

Posted Image

From top to bottom:

- 10ga Combat Shotgun with its CS, SIL and CS+SIL versions. Yes, this shotgun can use silencers AND perform careful shots if properly upgraded. Combat Shotgun is using clips which gives it two advantages over other SGs - fast reload times and fast snap shots (no need to pump the shells into barrel).

- 20ga Hi-Cap Shotgun and its smaller version. An ability to fire 20 pellets per shot makes this shotgun (with ammo capacity of 8 shots) an extremely devastating close-combat weapon. However, reloading it takes 45 AP which kinda limits it for some soldiers to be used for short encounters...

Next guns:

Posted Image

Here you can see a Compact 10mm SMG with a very familiar shape (that`s woh i see Fallout 10mm SMG). Its fast and easy to use, can fire in single and burst modes, but has no attachments.

Other 3 SMGs are 9mm Hi-Cap SMGs - reliable weapons with a great ammo capacity. This is the only SMG that has Combat Scope upgrade. Can perform long bursts to better implements its large clip size.

----

Campaign is currently stalled as i somewhat lost my inspiration for it. I hope that this is a temporal issue...

#65 LucaDena

LucaDena

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

nice, really nice, I love your stile. Do you need help with the campaign?

#66 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I`ll need someone to read and possibly edit all the texts. Other than that i see no other way how anyone can help with campaign. Mod files can`t be so easily transferred and edited by several modders.

#67 LucaDena

LucaDena

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

yes no problem, just explain me what you need done (and a little how to do it) and I will be glad to help

#68 Ecthel013

Ecthel013

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I can help out with reviewing/editing the texts when time permits, if you'd like.

#69 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Good to know, guys. Thanks!

I need to release a new version with updated texts so that you could work with them.

#70 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

A mission that i`m currently working on:

Posted Image

That`s a tech-recovery mission in mutant-controlled territory (meaning that it will require a high-level engineer). It is two-stage with a small underground compound and its own powerful enemies guarding it.

#71 Ichthyic

Ichthyic

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Okim, on 12 February 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

From the OP:

Posted Image

As for the typos - if you send me a list of corrections - i`ll be glad to fix them. Mod will need someone to run the checks once its finished (or at least updated with more content).

Mission 3 is currently undergoing some major changes to make it a bit easier and much faster than it is now (no AI-controlled allies, bandits coming in waves, critical goal to protect civilians with several reward options and etc.).

Conversions. Each option requires a huge script to run some checks and triggers AND a single weapon model with attachment. That`s why you get just 1 option per gun (2 if you upgrade a silenced weapon). There might be an option to remove atachment later, but i see no reason to do that - you`ll eventually end up with tons of 'clean' guns to modify.

Oh, btw. I`ll need to make it possible somehow to transfer at least partial familiarity value to the modded gun... Don`t know yet how to do that as i fail to find the proper functions in scripts...

I'd be happy to, but it would be so much easier if you just sent me even a giant text file with the dialogue in it.  formatted... so much the better, but even just blocks of text with punctuation will work.

fisheyephotosAThotmailDOTcom

cheers.

#72 Alfred

Alfred

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Hello everyone,

awesome work till the point just awesome.

Just a few points (just my opinion, has not to reflect the truth;))

Thank you for the shotguns - it was a missing part in the vanilla. And the 100 magazines at shotguns... confusing for 3 minutes but then...
Havent tested the 40mm nadelauncher yet but i will do soon - was also a thing that was just missing.

The Gunsmith is a part that was just missing before too, and its very well done and easy to understand,
just one thing i dont fully understand is the removal of "snapshot" with mounted sniperscope.

I understand "snapshot" more as "gunner`s job" than "gear´s job" meaning "aiming rough over the barrel".
(to explain what i mean with "gunners job": imagine a dual-barrel shotgun that has 2 triggers the gun does not support it to fire both with one trigger but you can pull both at once.)
A few scoped rifles in history (not purebred sniperrifles) had even usable iron sights, either by a "tunnel" under the scope (like K98, MN1891 just to call 2 exaples)
or a sidemounted scope (Ariskana Type 99).

Not only few modern rifles follow this tradition for exaple the G36E (export - no collaminator) where the (unadjustable) ironsights of the carrying handle can be used. There are optics (removable) with either ironsights or even a collaminator on top too.
For example SUSAT:
Posted Image
or a backpack variant: http://www.thefirear...-eotech-sights/
Same theme for SMGs, MGs and ARs with only "long burst" firemode, yes it CAN be "gear´s job" but in my opinion its more "gunner´s job".

My thought is that in a PN scenario high tech has cut down supplies (including ammo), if the storage is empty its empty.
(and all guns without ammo can be used as fencing post)

And the quartermaster will beat you up if u bring him every day 1 million cartridges to refill just because you cant control your triggerfinger;).
Pls dont get me wrong, i dont say "remove ammo from the game"
I try to say "let me be thriftily with the ammo - idk when and where i can get more"

Collaminators for MGs would be nice too -  they are not uncommon in special for LMG/CQB variants (shorter barrel, forewardgrip aso.)
There are some scoped MGs on bipod too (highmarks, crude dot image)
Example: http://www.thefirear...gun-ammunition/

Regarding "no prone bonus": i think its pretty much ok as long it is not penalised.
Even if there are foreward grips with included bipods inside (none to "go in" like MG bipods just for resting the gun like sniperrifle ones).
Exaple for those that cant imagine what iam talking about: http://www.thefirear...16-and-fn-scar/
Anyway every (trained) gunner gets benefits from a prone stance and if its just that the recoil is catched from the whole body and not only from the shoulder.
This results at last in less bulletspray.
You can rest your gun very well for exaple on your backpack (if u have one) in my opinion this is much better than any AR bipod Posted Image

Prone may be problematic with crappy magazine/magazine slot design, with this i agree.
Doesnt matter much in S³ by the "Good shot from any pose" perk.

No "careful shot" without scope is pretty much ok too.

I like the auxillarytroopers very much - very helpful (and if only as bulletmagnet;)) in the early missions where you just dont have the cash for a own squad.

Regarding suppressive fire:
Spoiler

Im very sure u got tons of ideas for guns in your mind - let me add one more:
What about a gun that fires caseless ammo? (maybe u already have this with the 6mm series?!)
http://en.wikipedia....less_ammunition - general info
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Voere_VEC-91 - 6mm example

Tiny bugs i found so far:
Spoiler

Pls keep it running - good mods keep games alive
Great work.

PS: english is not my native so i may lack a bit in grammar and/or form - i just try to get to the point.
I post links instead of images to keep the post short.
The links are not meant advertisement - its just what i found instant.

#73 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Its pretty thorough.

Regarding snapshots removal - its only for guns with sniper scopes. Not SUSAT or ACOG o other 3-4X combat scopes, but those real sniper scopes with 10x and higher magnification. Such scopes do not work well with fast shots as you have to at least find your target in it. That`s where you get an aimed shot mode as a minimal requirement to fire it.

Snap shot for such guns in APN is granted by tac lasers (9mm Tactical Rifle) and open iron sights (7mm Unique Rifle). There are some such guns in the mod already and will be more. Even a full-mode AR (able to fire in all 6 modes) is planned to be used in the mod (BTW - its going to be caseless with extremely low recoil).

----

SMGs and MGs are planned to use red dots and combat scopes as any other guns in the mod (hell, i already have a shotgun with this scope type).  There will be MGs with single fire mods, so scopes will fit pretty well here.

----

As for long vs short burst mode - i insist for using the last only for guns capable of controlled 2-3 shot bursts. The reason is simple - you as a player have full control of how long you wish your long burst to last - just hit a large red 'cancel' button and cut the burst whenever you wish. And not all guns in the modern world can operate in both modes (example is AKM vs Abakan or M16A3 agains M16A4).

----

Prone penalty was a ban idea. I`ve already set it to be a bonus. A small one, but still a bonus.

I`ve also reworked weapon types removing / combining some of them. The new list looks like this:

- handguns (all pistols, revolvers, heavy pistols etc).
- close combat weapons (shotguns, smgs some rifles).
- close combat weapons - 1 handed (compact smgs, sawn-off shotguns etc.). This one will probably end up as handguns as they have similar purpose actually (and differ only by bonuses and AP costs).
- assault weapons (assault rifles, assault machineguns, some heavy shotguns).
- precision weapons (bolt-action rifles, semi-automatic rifles, heavy sniper rifles).
- heavy weapons (machineguns mainly).
- launchers and others.

Ah, there are no longer such things as 20ga shotguns. All SGs in the mod now fire 10 porjectiles per shot (meaning that they are all 10ga). However - there is a monstrousity that can simultaneously fire two shots with 10 pellets each (20 in total).

----

Suppression fire is impossible without creating a script for ALL maps in the game. That`s not what i really wish even to try doing. It would be great though...

----

Didn`t get what that bug is actually about. Can you elaborate please?

----

Speaking of allied troops - they now join you if you have no teammates at all. So you can invest in your hero and hope to get some good allies (which will progress with you) or invest in your party.

----

Ammo. Its a problem in the game. You can`t just remove ammo from stores - there will always be the default ammo for the gun when you sell it.

I`ve made all basic ammo to simupate 'surplus' one (having some pretty basic stats) and made AP and JHP ammo for most of the calibers. These can be forced to be very scarse and valuable. Plans are to bring in special ammo type for some calibers.

The problem is that you don`t actually need AP ammo in the game.

#74 Alfred

Alfred

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi again, the internets have ate my reply - so the "short" version.

Okim, on 06 March 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Regarding snapshots removal - its only for guns with sniper scopes. Not SUSAT or ACOG o other 3-4X combat scopes, but those real sniper scopes with 10x and higher magnification. Such scopes do not work well with fast shots as you have to at least find your target in it. That`s where you get an aimed shot mode as a minimal requirement to fire it.
Thats why i wrote "aiming rough over the barrel".
But you are right its not a real disadvantage not to have snap at a sniper.
I took the SUSAT as example because i wasnt able to find something better in a short amount of time.
K98 had a 6x in some editions also the SVT-40 - both with open iron sights Ariskana type 99 had 4x and M1903 8x but no iron sights.
The spotter came later afaik this was times where snipers worked often alone. (n.t.)

SMGs and MGs are planned to use red dots and combat scopes as any other guns in the mod (hell, i already have a shotgun with this scope type).  There will be MGs with single fire mods, so scopes will fit pretty well here.
Yes and its awesome - looking forward for more multiupgrade guns.
Also discovered a 10mm SMG with 4 upgrades at total.

As for long vs short burst mode - i insist for using the last only for guns capable of controlled 2-3 shot bursts. The reason is simple - you as a player have full control of how long you wish your long burst to last - just hit a large red 'cancel' button and cut the burst whenever you wish.
I forgot about it - shame on me. Played yesterday just short to test the mod a bit after half a year of abstinence.
The NPCs cant - so they use up "my" ammo;)

And not all guns in the modern world can operate in both modes (example is AKM vs Abakan or M16A3 agains M16A4).
Thats true but no match for a gunsmith (a bit with the file here a bit with the screwdriver there... e viola - full auto;))
Depends on model, different companies build modular meanwhile, but i start to digress again.

Suppression fire is impossible without creating a script for ALL maps in the game. That`s not what i really wish even to try doing. It would be great though...
Till this point all characters are coldblooded battledogs that dont care much about incoming fire.
I dont think its really needed. Again just my opinion.

Didn`t get what that bug is actually about. Can you elaborate please?

With pleasure.
1st is the dialoge with the gunsmith. At guns with only 1 upgradefunction like the Huntingrifle there is:
Headline with offer - ok
1. option: yes i wish to make this... -ok
2. option: Attach a XX for XX - function is exit - so it should be "nothing for now" or similar.

2nd is the 7mm sniper which has no own clips and uses 5er strips because of this - idk if you want it this way, if its no prob i just noticed it.

3rd is a 10rnd 6mm clip that is called "6x40mm 8-round rifle clip" the gun is 10 rnd the mag is 10 rnd just the name is 8 rnd.

Ammo. Its a problem in the game. You can`t just remove ammo from stores - there will always be the default ammo for the gun when you sell it.

I`ve made all basic ammo to simupate 'surplus' one (having some pretty basic stats) and made AP and JHP ammo for most of the calibers. These can be forced to be very scarse and valuable. Plans are to bring in special ammo type for some calibers.

The problem is that you don`t actually need AP ammo in the game.
In my opinion its pretty much ok - S³ was not made as survival.
And NPCs need huge ammounts of ammo because they shoot like... idk what.
Not good but much.
Most times its possible to get more than enough ammo in the field.
In vanilla i only buy the special stuff like JHP - everything else is looted.
Too expensive anyway^^
AP would be nice for wall penetration in what the standard 6mm just fails.
If u have it - bring it on we will see how to use it.
Atm is just the testfield a bit small.

Had a look at the 42mm nadelauncher - pretty sweet, very nice for medic training if the gunner messes it.
Joke over - its very acurate even in snap i get a solid hit if there are no obstacles.

#75 Azt8g

Azt8g

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi Okim, first of all Thank you for keeping S3 alive with you mod!!!
Is there anyway I can help?

#76 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

42mm will get some attention. Its a one-shot weapon with quite expensive ammo and even the fact that it has area of effect wont compensate if i lower its accuracy.

#77 Alfred

Alfred

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hi again,

Another short 3(00) - liner from my side - make sure u got a cup of coffee (or better a pot?Posted Image ).

The 42mm launcher is pretty fair atm.
Dont would to change it too much yet.
I have to say i tested it on a RE so expirience may vary.

The engine afaik does not know steer fire (exept handgrenades), even the PIAT was more or less a rifle in S²/S³.
and the PIAT is somehow comparable to the 42mm (not caliber and use more steer fire itself without own propellant).
Clip gets interesting after 1:30
https://www.youtube....h?v=Ku_oAmIcsvE

So firing behind cover what would make the 42mm even more useful needs some tricks.

Direct shot is not to recommend because the chance to miss by miles is very high,
so i aim free in front or next to the main target on the ground or a object behind it.
With good results, if i get a accidential direct hit it is crushing.
Hit is hit. If i miss its karma.

AP costs are fair and realistic - shot and reload in one round possible.

Some points to the design
Spoiler

You mentioned the expensive 42mm ammo, i think its much too cheap.

Let me explain:

Mini-blast grenade is $500
Blast granade $1000
Fragementation $1200 (fits in stats halfway launcherammo)
p.p.

All these can be looted from the bad guys and i use them whenever its possible (even if i dont buy them in the shop)
All this nades are affected by trowingskills and strength what limits the range.

The launcherammo is ShelSec only atm and is $200 it has range approx x3 but costs 1/6 of the handgrenade and uses 1/4 of the space.

Singleshot and reload in one round limits the use of the 42mm while i can throw 2 nades by hand.

Since the 42mm ammo is ShelSec only (what is good at the current point idk how u handle this in upcoming versions) i think the prices should be a bit more balanced.
Lets say approx 3/4 to 2/3 of the current for Handgrenades and x2.5-3x+ for the 42mm
Maybe some can be found in the world in certain places like the mission you gave a preview on 04.03. what looks and sounds pretty awesome.

At conclusion i want to say in my eyes the 42mm is a thing of special purpose to fill a hole and adds more tactical possibilities.
All in once i like it pretty much and had no incoming yet - what iam a bit happy about.
But like i said before it is special and should be used as such at last at the current version.

Only suggestions no complaints from my side, in doubt just my very personal inked opinion.

best regards

PS: cant wait to see the new stuff

#78 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

That windows is just for decoration purposes. Imagine it to be heat exaust or exotic muzzle breaker.

The plans are to put in three types of 42mm GLs - with 1 nade, with 3 and with 6. Look at them as launcher tiers. I was also thinking to make autofire 20mm GL. Not sure if this one is really needed. Besides - engine has some odd representation of damage values for rockets with clip size more than 1.

I have a huge txt file with all planned guns and their types listed in it. That`s a huge list i need to say (and all shotguns are already finished, btw).

What`s a SD Shotgun? You mean Combat shotgun with careful shot and silencer? That`s a unique weapon that you`ll have to fight for at some late mission. If you mean Hi-Cap shotgun with lots of shells - its purely a close range gun for house (bunker) clearing.

BTW, here is a dual-shot shotgun - the last SG for the mod i`ve made:

Posted Image

#79 Alfred

Alfred

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hi again, i try to keep it short (like everytime)

Okim, on 08 March 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

The plans are to put in three types of 42mm GLs - with 1 nade, with 3 and with 6. Look at them as launcher tiers. I was also thinking to make autofire 20mm GL. Not sure if this one is really needed. Besides - engine has some odd representation of damage values for rockets with clip size more than 1.
20mm GL sounds intresting would fit the "riflebehavior" better, autofire... not sure, would tend to 6-shot semi-auto with low blast radius or something like that.

I have a huge txt file with all planned guns and their types listed in it. That`s a huge list i need to say (and all shotguns are already finished, btw).
My posts are longer /joke. Awesome - if u want to share it - here is your victimPosted Image .
What is rly needed in my opinion is more power. Even the ruins from generations ago seem to be bulletproof.
Only dynamite can harm them. Not even the revolver that rips your wrist off does a scratch.
Me likes flying bricks pretty much in S³.

What`s a SD Shotgun? You mean Combat shotgun with careful shot and silencer?
Yep that thing, just because its very hard/impossile to get SGs to a "tactical" noise output.
Those suppressors i found so far are more usable for ear protection than for real noise reduction. I am willing to learn more
"Streetsweeper" is a clear thing to me.
To stick with SGs: The removal of 20g is good - too loud anyway, but pls hold the triplerifles and so on, they are funny.
To stick with ammo: Slugs would be nice.

Your last creation looks awesome. Just the screws on top maybe needs turned in a bit.

regards

#80 Okim

Okim

The great beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

Buletproofness. I don`t like how easily you can demolish a building in Silent Storm, so i used concrete walls instead of bricks to make walls more durable to conventional ammo. Dynamite, rockets and plasma are your only ways to blow up these walls in the mod. AP ammo for larger guns might be able to pass through it.

Brick walls are still in the mod and are as common as concrete ones. These are much easier to penetrate.

Silenced shotguns are a good alternative for scouts in later game. Its futuristic setting with plasma and lasers - why the hell not to have silenced shotguns in it?

About the model - you wont be seeing these screws in the mod due to model being quite small in the game :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users