A Post-Nuclear Mod for S3 (Sentinels)

Okim

10mm SMG and it`s two upgrade options (former one had more then 8! most of which were useless):

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/SMG10-upgrades.jpg

6mm Light Machinegun and it`s two upgrades (NOTE: CQC version is converted from 'heavy weapon' into 'close combat' weapon type):

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/LMG6-upgrades.jpg

6mm Machinegun and it`s single, but powerful upgrade option (NOTE - this MG can fire only in long burst, so combat scope provides just it`s standard '+5 to effective range' bonus making 6mm MG a bit more accurate at med/long range):

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/MG6-upgrades.jpg

ALL models shown above and in previous post were reworked. The most heavily modified one belongs to SMG 10. It`s bulky case was adopted for S3 animation type so that it wont 'fall out' off hands that much.

As you might have noticed - ALL attachment models were also reworked and retextured. They no look much more detailed.

Basic pistols in their standard and tactical variations (1 upgrade per pistol):

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/PIS-upgrades.jpg

12mm Revolver in basic and upgraded version (currently called 'Hunting', but probably needs another name):

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/REV12-upgrades.jpg

10mm Dual Pistol is currently undergoing a complete rehaul. It will have a combat version with a tactical laser and a combat scope to close all possible and logic pistol combinations.

As you`ve probably noticed - there are 7 attachment types: silencer, tactical laser, holo scope, combat scope, sniper scope, bipods and extended mags. Each gun (so far) has a number of versions ranging from 1 to 5. Each upgrade requires you to have 2 different attachments.

The amount of guns and attachments should provide a player with some field of experementations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. A little progress update.

First of all - i`m in the middle of the whole model rehaul. As i wrote earlier - i`ve decided to rework the entire weapon modification system for the mod. New system requires a player to interact with a specific workbench (to be specific - with a locker next to it) in order to invoke a dialogue. Linky to a screenshot...

While working on this i also decided to improve some (most) of the models so that they wont look 'out of place' while being wielded by pers in game. The issue here is that all guns in the original game didn`t have much of a barrel stocks (those guards in front of the weapon that you can see on modern firearms). Because of this the basic animation for holding and firing from the guns looks like the pers is holding the weapon by the bare barrels. This has issues with modern looks of the guns in APN, but not so major. With the rehaul these issues are even less obvious and can be ignored. Linky to a screenshot...

Secondly - i`m adjusting the description system for all of the guns. Weapon desc now includes info on possible modifications and what is required for it. Modified weapons get info on what attachments can be removed from it (yes, you can now revert any made mods and even strip looted guns for any possible attachments). Linky to a screenshot...

Thirdly - the rehaul of the system also required an introduction of the new set of items - those attachments themselves. And this now have some implications - the main of them being attachments selling. If you sell one - you`ll never get a chance to buy it back (due to limitations for store and current item type). However - you can buy attachments that are predefined to appear at store. Linky to a screenshot...

The last thing that is currently being tested - is a small visual rehaul of the base. It now suits the lore (for it being a bomb shelter) and player is given some freedom to explore it a bit. I`ll expand further at some later phase to include additional interactable quest-giving persons and etc. Linky to a screenshot...

That is for now. There is much work to do before i can release something playable, but at least you know that i`m working on it smile.png

Ok. Server is up and running again and all the images are back on-line.

Here are a few new fancies for your judgement.

9mm SMG. One-handed light smg and it`s assault modification.

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/smg9.jpg

9mm Burst SMG with it`s tactical variant.

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/smg9b.jpg

10mm Compact (or light) SMG and it`s assault version (note the clipped mags and an integrated flashlight that is just a decoration).

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/smg10c.jpg

And the perl of my current skills - a 10mm Dual Shot Pistol and it`s cool looking assault version (tactical laser is attached to the combat scope!).

https://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/S3/p10d.jpg

There are also reworked rifles and other guns that i don`t want to show right now. Haven`t touched the shotguns yet, but i`m getting closer to them (they are difficult to remodel with attachments and proper helding).

Up to 30x2 damage per 15 AP at close range. Comparing to up to 25 damage per 12 AP for basic 10mm pistol it`s quite a lot. Isn`t it?

The thing is that this particular pistol can get a careful shot mode which boosts its accuracy at medium and even long range. To be clear - this is one of three handguns in the mod that can do that. Other pistols and sawn-off weapons are purely close combat guns.

I`m trying to provide a player with as many options per weapon class as I can. If you are playing with a medic/engineer who has bonus to pistols - you might want to get him such a handgun. If you have a sniper - he will always be forced to use a secondary weapon as sniper scope removes a snap shot mode. If you a playing a scout - the first hit from such gun may lead to dire consequences to your target. And etc.

Hmm. Can`t say anything about modern real-life implementation of multi-barrel pistols. It was worse the effort when there was no such thing as 'clips' and reload took a large amount of time and concentration. But right now in modern warfare there is indeed no need to have multiple barrels on pistols. However - I`m aware of some twin-linked assault rifles that produce tremendous rate of fire with almost the same recoil as a usual AR does. So having a two-barreled handgun in a virtualized universe is not so bad, I guess?

• 1 month later...

Hi. I wish this too. To bad about your experience with W2 and JA. I must confess I bought both and deleted them right after the couple of hours after release. Both are... well... strange games.

Speaking of the donating... There is a pay pall donation button hid at my Okim Studios site.

There are some implications here. First of all - kickstarter is not available for the Russian Federation. Only USA and UK memers are allowed as kickstarter hosts.

Secondly - there is a major difference between making a mod and creating a new game. Engine rights, required art, code, texts and lots of other issues that i doubt even kickstarter will cover.

Thirdly - that kind of project requires some serious dedication which i have almost no time for. Modding is a hobby for me - it doesn`t matter if my mods are played or not.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it just me or is something different with the ambush?

At the first enemy round the sniper dies from Dynamite - he does not give a shot in the intro but a bullet is missing in the gun btw...

If the left gunner gets his grenade out at last one of the remaining characters gets AP reduction or similar, making it impossible to me to get more than 3 enemys down in total.

If the left gunner saves the grenate he snapshoots with the 3 barrel SG across the map and hits 3 times of 4 with at last one bullet for 10-16 dmg witha very good good crit rate...wallbash.gif

The "bulletpack" seems to be a bit dense for such distances.

Tried it at last 20 times now... going left, right or staying - makes no difference. Going berzerk speeds the end up...

One stray bullet in direcrion of the head makes it pop instant.

Playing on diff. 2.5 as usual

All 100% lvl+2

The new content looks tasty - if i could only get there via the fairway smile.png

Maybe i get better luck tomorrow.

There is a significant difficulty shift where 'normal' provides no bonuses to both sides (unlike in the original one). To be short - normal is difficult in APN. As for head shots and shotguns - it fires 10 pellets at an average accuracy of 10%, so it is normal to get hit by at least 1 pellet at such distance (which is considered short BTW). There is an issue with AI which always tries to hit in the head instead of firing normally, so it is also a normal situation to get hit in the head with the shotgun. This i can`t fix.

Congratulations for release! I was wondering if you would be able to finish the mod, now that you have far less time than you used to... A good thing, naturally! I hope I'll get to S3 soon.

So, now that the mod is out, would it be better to head strait for it? Without playing through the original?