Thorondor

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Is it possible to add extra challenge to XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Firaxis certainly seems intent on doing so and is therefore having us deal with a special content pack that will take us to China, no less.

What's inside:

The Slingshot pack is a set of linked Council missions that take place on three new maps. The player will meet Zhang, an enigmatic Triad operative, divert an alien ship’s course, and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China. In addition to new maps, the DLC will include a new playable character with a unique story and voice and new character customization options.

This DLC pack is coming out today, so keep a watchful eye on Steam. We also haven't forgotten there's another one supposedly in the works, so we'll absolutely be on the lookout for any more suspicious activities, either human or alien, regarding this subject.

Does this include the 2 updates that have been released with the main game? Anyone know?

EDIT ::

Wait a second, 3 missions for $7.00 USD. F!ck That. I said I think in the Rants & Raves section that I'd wait for the Super Uber Mega Collection...Now I know will wait.

AND IT DESTROYS SAVEGAMES!!!

2K is aware of the problem, it seems to only happen on PC. I really hope they sort it out, I'm so winning in my classic ironman campaign.

This is the last time I've either preordered or bought anything XCOM related without waiting the first shock out and seeing a review or three. 18 years was a long wait, but it does not mean I need to be stupid. Even MORE stupid, that is.

Just a heads-up; the saved games are most likely not corrupted (which is logical), but the game is currently not able to load them. What is even weirder is that it only affects certain saves and could be linked to difficulty level or ironman campaign; I can perfectly load my normal difficulty saves but CI is inaccessible so far. Whatever it is, 2K is working on it. So they say.

I wonder if they've snuck in some code from a new patch accidentally to sort the save games being in random order and it's had a hissy-fit...

I'll leave this one for now though as I have good memories of my 500+ saved games and don't want them destroyed just yet. Maybe when I run out of disk space? :)

£5.50 (UK price) feels a little steep for this I have to say. I confess that the THQ humble bundle has turned my eye a bit too, I think that for given I could get all those games for the same price I'll be taking a short break from XCOM and either playing some of those games or doing a skyrim rerun with some of the mods, and then get the DLC cheaper in the steam sale. I hope.

Is this lyrics of some kind?! https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/hmmmmm.gif

;)

Not much you can do... If you're able to save humanity, sacrifice good men and women for a greater good, what damage can a sleepless baby do? Right? https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/kiss.gif

Phenomenal, downloading. Was just getting pissed, after losing a whole team on impossible. I want my winning classic ironman game back! :)

Anyway, I will NEVER take the bomb mission again before I get laser weaponry. Those really are the turning point and you don't need to rely on rockets just as much. When a damn Secoid one-shot killed https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/computer-31.gif my heavy captain with a damn plasma PISTOL, and he was NOT flanked, I kinda... felt bad. https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/smcomp_hate1.gif

Got this the other day and started my 4th or 5th playthrough (I'm counting playthroughs as ones I'm likely to win rather than the number of games I've started).

Selected Classic with Ironman this time as there is an achievement on Steam for Ironman - funny as I don't remember there being one originally!

The very first council mission asks you if you want an original one or a Slingshot mission. Choose carefully, as once you select Slingshot the next two council missions are Slingshot without a choice!

First things first, I was worried as I had starting weapons and no armour. As with much of the early game this doesn't matter as it doesn't throw more at you than it thinks you can handle, you just need the right tactics - I suspect that it is adaptable as to whether you choose it during the early or late game in that I was against some pretty easy aliens during the three missions with some harder ones dropped in here and there to make it challenging (I got a Chrysalid, Muton and Cyberdisc coming at me far earlier than normal which was... fun... ;)).

I won't spoil it, and it's up to you as to whether it's worth it, but the reviews have stated what the last mission it and it revolves around a Battleship flying over China, so you get lots of Elerium and Alloys very early on but you physically cannot research the Fusion Core or Blaster Launcher that early in the game and I hadn't even had time to get to Elerium yet so it's not totally unbalancing the game. What it does give you of course is the raw materials that you can sell which is a help - I quite happily sold 100 each of Elerium and Alloys to get more cash and kept the rest for later on, but I could just have easily had the same amount of materials from normal UFO missions - these 3 council missions I suspect take out some of the UFO missions you would normally play as they were unusually close together in terms of game time than normal council missions.

It's nice having a decent Heavy as a result early on, but again nothing that you couldn't otherwise get in other missions - I think you just get him slightly earlier.

All told, I liked it and enjoyed some different maps and a character I could keep that had a different voice and accent for the rest of the game. Worth the money? That's up to you guys and it is such a short part of the game, but I did enjoy the challenge of taking on a Battleship with such early weaponry and no armour, especially on my first Ironman game :D

XCOM 1, Aliens 0 (aside from that one chap who died in the final mission, but we don't talk about him ;)).