Free Game Index

Azrael Strife

The purpose of this thread is to keep an index of good free games available on the web, I'm sure we all know quite a few that rival commercial games, so let's see them! Please post here if you would like to contribute (please do!). This topic was originally started by Slaughter, I'll try to expand it for him while he's occupied smile.png (merging Slaughter's games is still a TODO)

---

Point and Click Graphical Adventures

Space Quest 2: Vohaul's Revenge (around 500 MB) post

King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (around 127 MB) post

Horror

Slender: The Eight Pages (around 65 MB) post

Platformer

Spelunky (around 10 MB) post

Treasure Adventure Game (about 104 MB) post

Of Light & Shadow (about 170 MB) post

Space Sim

DIaspora: Shattered Armistice (around 1.5 GB) post

Wing Commander Saga: Darkest Dawn (around 3.4 GB) post

Slender - The Eight Pages

Slender is a short, experimental horror game in which you must travel into a dark woods at night, with a simple goal: find 8 pages that are scattered across the woods. Butg as you are looking for them, you are being stalked by an entity that grows more persistant and relentless as each page is collected, an entity that you cannot even look at for long, let alone fight. Your only hope is to collect all 8 pages before it catches you...

Size: about 65 MB

Slender3.jpg

Slender-Man.jpg

Slender-man-woods.jpg

Space Quest 2: Vohaul's Revenge (VGA remake)

Roger's life has returned to normal after the events in Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter. Transferred to the Xenon Orbital Station 4 and promoted to head (and only) janitor, life is quiet until he is abducted by Sludge Vohaul, the evil mastermind behind the original Sarien attack of the Arcada. As Roger is being transported to the Labion labor mines as punishment for thwarting Vohaul's original plan, the prison ship crash-lands in a nearby jungle upon the planet.

Size: about 500 MB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5BYWb8dpLCc

King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (VGA remake)

Long ago, when magic was the only science known to man there dwelt in the land of Llewdor a wizard named Manannan. He was very learned in all the matters of the heavens and earth. Of great age, Manannan presented a frail appearance, as meant, Manannan’s impression of fragility lasted only until one looked into his coal-black eyes, which burned with a strange fire. This was, indeed, a powerful wizard.

Although he was powerful, and capable of conjuring up vast armies of spirit servants to sweep his hearth, prepare his meals, and other menial tasks with which he would not soil his hands, this solution to his everyday needs was not satisfactory to him. For he liked his solitude, and didn’t want a lot of spirits cluttering up his house. Instead, he apprenticed a very young boy to do his bidding, taking the lad when he was only a year old, so that the boy would have no memories to tug at him in the years to come.

Unfortunately for Manannan, boys grow up and become adventuresome young men. As his slave grew in stature and in strength, Manannan was irritated to find him poking around in areas of the house where he didn’t belong. Or he would climb down the narrow path leading to Manannan’s mountaintop retreat to explore the surrounding countryside. Even punishment did not stop him for long.

One day, when his slave was 18 years of age, the wizard found him practicing magic spells. This was the last straw!

“YOU!” Manannan screamed. “You have read my books of spells and plundered my supplies of powders and potions. You have even ventured into Llewdor again, against my expressed command, for nowhere else could you have gathered some of these ingredients!”

“You think you will win your freedom with these tricks?” the wizard sneered. “You shall see your mistake! You have earned only your own demise!” And with that, Manannan raised his hands menacingly.

Suddenly the earth began to shake and his slave was no more. Only a small pile of ashes remained where he had stood.

“Next time, I won’t make the same mistake,” Manannan snarled. “ I’ll never let any of my slaves reach manhood. I’ll have no more accidents.”

size: about 127 MB

kqscr1.pngkqscr3.pngkqscr4.pngkqscr22.png

Spelunky

"Legends speak of a Colossal Cave that extends deep underground, so twisted by time that its passages shift like the sand under which it lies... the Cave is said to be filled with fabulous treasures, but also incredible danger!"

Spelunky is a cave exploration / treasure-hunting game inspired by classic platform games and roguelikes, where the goal is to grab as much treasure from the cave as possible. Every time you play the cave's layout will be different. Use your wits, your reflexes, and the items available to you to survive and go ever deeper! Perhaps at the end you may find what you're looking for...

Don't be afraid to die! But also don't be afraid to live! Happy Spelunky-ing!

spelunky-pc-screen.png

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn (download links)

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn concludes a forty-year galactic struggle between the Terran Confederation and the Kilrathi Empire, an imperialistic, xenophopic alien race.
  • Relive the adventure of Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger
  • Step in the shoes of a rookie Terran pilot and play your part to save humanity from extinction
  • Strap into the most advanced starfighters humanity has to offer
  • Dogfight against several dozen types of enemy fighters, bombers, and capital ships
  • Participate in a diverse range of missions ranging from routine patrols to major fleet operations.
  • Immerse yourself in the Wing Commander universe that has been a staple in science fiction since 1990
  • Take the fight to the Kilrathi homeworlds and conclude the Galactic War once and for all

size: about 3.4 GB

20d997e69fbfa8c97d74db91ffe6e220.jpg9917318be91c0356d6591cebf523ca7a.jpgb4737866f821f97e7cd3a8f9c949ab08.jpgdbf16b5fbc0f7ab1e92abeaea357a048.jpg

• 2 months later...

Of Light & Shadow

Master the Lights!

Of Light & Shadow is a puzzle-platformer with a "light" twist, combining two areas in each Level, light and shadow, as well as two protagonists in one playable character, Dr. Shadow and Mr. Light.

While either of them can only survive in either light or shadow areas, the player must constantly switch between them and make the right decision about whose abilities to utilise.

size: about 170 MB

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kOcT7-brF-c

• 3 years later...

So after a brief hiatus I'm back, (there's literally been nothing to give away lately) so here we go.

IndyGala has for some reason a lot of old classic games usually sold dirt cheap.

For example:

Bioshock - $4.00

Borderlands GOTYE - $6.99

Dying Light - The Following Enhanced; Mega, Super, Ultra, Complete Edition. Ugh....- $39.99

(Note to self)

Add universal currency exchange rate to my signature.

So basically it's a 2K Games & Warner Brothers sale. Still pretty cheap stuff and those 3^ are masterpieces of video games.

Sadly the only game being given away currently is Agent Awesome which is getting Mixed reviews on Steam.

It's retail price is $9.99 but clicking above at this link ^ it's 100% Completely free.

I've been told by sources that Green Man Gaming and GOG might be giving things for free.

And GOG now has the Original X-COM series. About time!

-NoX

If you enjoy Role Playing Games (Anime Style), you can pick up for free a copy of Memories of a Vagabond. It currently has a Very Positive user review rating @ 80% which isn't too shabby. Once again this game is ANOTHER free game from the good folks at Indigala. <-- Click link for game and make sure you're registered.

-NoX

• 1 month later...

header-logo.png

EA's Origin (Spits) has started to expand their "Free Games" with a new "On The House" game expansions. While this is a nice gesture seemingly at first, if you don't own the Base game, you might be tempted to buy it and get the expansion for free.

1011899_LB_231x326_en_US_%5E_2014-10-10-13-29-25_1c03222bd26908543463ea1b6d1a4a5e7f37fd22.jpg

Anyway, the "Free Expansion" is Battlefield 4 - Final Stand. As I said above it is ONLY the expansion, so if you don't own the Base game you cannot download it AND unlike the "Free Games" it will ONLY be added to your library UNTIL you buy Battlefield 4. Keep this in mind.

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k490/noxtheroxstar/EABS_zpsr3bibzr5.png

-NoX

P.S. I won't allow my venomous hatred for EA stop anyone from buying their products. I simply do Not encourage it.

Steam is giving everyone the first chapter of the remade King's Quest series Chapter 1 for free. You can pick it up here.

-NoX

Interesting. I might even bite. Though it has been a looooong time since I played true RPGs. I played space quests and hero's quests to no end, I was even prepared to write "climb up" and "climb down" several hundred times to have my hero level up... I did learn a lot of English through those games though! Dictionary was a necessary tool.

header-logo.png

EA's Origin is giving another free game away for the Month of June.

71114_MB_142x200_en_US_%5E_2013-07-18-13-58-06_444af01ea80cc39896ebabc9c4198e7d3034b1c7.png

This time the game is Nox (and no I didn't make this screen name from that game teehee.gif).

Westwood Studios released this game back in 2000, it's an RPG comparable to that of Diablo II. Sadly the game didn't get the much deserved attention it should have gotten as it was released the same year as Diablo II and essentially fell off the radar.

-NoX

You know, I looked at this game at GoG a while ago (cca. 5€ now, it was like 2€ on sale) and it took me some serious mental strain NOT to buy it. The praise it has and so forth really demanded some effort, but I had to look deep into myself and admit I was not going to play the game. After I regained control of meself, I realized that your nick and the game correspond, wanted to ask you about the connection and forgot all about it. Some things are better not done as they will sort themselves out. ;)

A rare day when 3 games are given away for free!

apple-touch-icon-144x144-precomposed.pnghttps://store.akamai.steamstatic.com/public/shared/images/header/globalheader_logo.png

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/251530/header.jpg?t=1447358645

First from Games Republic is Anomaly Korea, make sure you set up a free account with them in order to get this game.

indielogo_header.pnghttps://store.akamai.steamstatic.com/public/shared/images/header/globalheader_logo.png

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/321150/header.jpg?t=1447363465

Second is Indiegala which is giving away Melissa K. and The Heart of Gold (whatever the hell that is).

photo.jpg

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/238210/header.jpg?t=1466791175

And finally third as mentioned by Thorondor, GOG is giving away System Shock 2, but you must download their GOG Galaxy Client, so keep that in mind.

Get 'em while ye can.

-NoX

Two games to give away.

https://store.akamai.steamstatic.com/public/shared/images/header/globalheader_logo.png

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/48000/header.jpg?t=1469018894

That game is LIMBO which is a PC/XBOX1 exclusive. Click on THIS link on June 21st & 22nd that's when the game will be given away, so write it down on your calendars.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

photo.jpguplay.7.1.0.4163.png

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/13600/header.jpg?t=1447351278

Ubisoft is celebrating their 30th Anniversary this year by giving away 7 free games from June till December. The first of the free games is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Keep in mind you will need a Uplay client in order to download and play it.

-NoX