Memorial Wall - post your Soldier's Heroic/Silly Deaths

Hobbes

Name: Captain Archer "Party Crash" Wallace, 11 Missions, 14 Kills

KIA: July 15th, 2015, Operation Black Fury

Captain Wallace died while on a Council mission to extract a UN general. After eliminating the initial opposition, Wallace and Captain Babbajide "Mr. B" Babbo moved to stun 2 Thin Men that were hiding on the other side of the collapsed highway.

While Captain Babbo stunned his alien successfully, Wallace failed to stun his Thin Men and having already received a plasma hit things didn't look good. Luckly, After the miss Babbo moved close to the 2nd Thin Men while Charlene "Pussy" Therazone readied her Medikit to go to his reacues

The Thin Men shoots and hits Wallace, who is right on the edge of the map, the Titan armor and the Don't Die On Me perk giving him a critical wound. Mr. B moves and stuns the last Thin Men, assuring the capture of a 2nd Plasma Light Rifle, while Pussy arrives at Party Crash's location with 1 turn missing to save him and finds him... missing. After being hit the 2nd time Wallace felt off the highway and died off screen with Pussy being unable to reach and save him.

R.I.P.

I wish I could remember the names of my chars, but after so many deaths they sort of blend together. My only clear memory is Panic-killing my entire team. Assaults gets injured, panics and kill support, which panics sniper that fires a round at the heavy, headshotting him instantly, the damage panics 2nd sniper that then takes out first sniper.

I used to hate panic but now I see it more as the comic relief moment(s) of the fight. It also seems that patch number 2 fixed that since I'm seeing less friendly fire.

Example: Squaddie with an Alloy Cannon fires at Bezerker and hits. Alien screams the hell out of her, she panics and goes "NO! NO! NO!", Bezerker advances towards her and she finishes it off with a panicked shot.

Priceless.

Unfortunately, said squaddie died 2 turns afterwards after hitting the side of the small UFO with her Alloy Cannon and revealing both Sectoid Commanders who then mind controlled her fellow Assault who cut her down in 1 shot with his cannon.

Sad. I already had a nice nickname to her: Screamer.

Her name is not important, but she was called Angel by others. We just got her, and she was our only field medic. When she was wounded, it seemed like a scratch. She reached for first aid, but... there was none. The next shot killed her and now she really is an angel. May she rest in peace, her name on the wall, as a testament to my stupidity.

• 4 months later...

Classic, Not-Ironman-but-haven't-reloaded-in-ages-guv-honest...

My second game (lost the first)

Mid September, just finished the First Alien Base mission.

Shot down a small scout, so I took squad of corporals, sergeants, a rookie and two Colonels rather than my full A team. Gave the support colonel a Arc-zapper so we could grab some live LGM.

Out of the Skyranger, only cover was one spot on the left flank and a log for 5 in the middle.

Took Cover, and set off an Elite Muton squad, with berzerker.

Can't land multiple rockets yet, but start potting.

Then heavy floaters turn up, so I'm supressing them too and one chucks a grenade at the 5, who take 5 each and lose their log. - Ooops, MY FAULT

Meanwhile I'm also trying to kill the Zerker, who gets all the way to the line and takes down the Sniper.

Next turn I kill him, but a Floater jets behind me so I have to take him out too.

So holo target him, then run and gun to his flank, and ... MISSED - argggg !

Send another guy there, MISSED - NOT MY FAULT.....WAAAH sad.png

My last available, goes over and takes him down

But now we're all lined up - AGAIN !!!

Dink, Dink Dink - BOOM the last Floater hits them all for 5 more each with a grenade, putting 3 more on the floor, leaving 2 colonels each with 2 hps.

My support colonel has Savior and.... AN ARC THROWER !!! ARRGGHHHH.

So I can't stabilise my wounded because I was STOOOPID

Can't kill last floater with 2 hp left each and no time to get to Outsider in craft before all my guys carc anyway.

2 Colonels withdraw to LZ (about half a move distance) and exit - 4 KIA.

ARRRRRGGGHHHH.

(and his head exploded)....

• 4 weeks later...

Here lies Cpt. Martha 'Saturn' Mueller, veteran of 7 missions with a total of 12 kills to her name. Died from getting her foot stuck in a bench while standing in front of a Sectopod.

*grumble grumble* darned non-moving soldier bug. One of three fatalities in my ironman game too.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul "Twitch" Thompson

Lt. Thompson, formerly of Australia's elite SASR special operations force, was a cherished member of XCOM, one of the first four soldiers to make contact with hostile extraterrestrial life. Although his marksmanship scores were well below the average, his exceptional reflexes and boundless courage saved the first contact team from disaster when Pvt. Sven Johannsen, formerly team leader, was nearly incapacitated by a plasma rifle.

He lead the team with distinction until a routine UFO examination, when a careless rookie destroyed the wall he was using for cover with errant laser rifle fire, leaving him exposed to a Sectoid critical. Rest...

Wait. Late breaking. He survived the incident, clinging to life, and terminated the hostile that injured him, bringing the mission to a successful conclusion. Major Thompson continued to serve until Operation Confounding Light, where he died activating a tracking beacon that allowed XCOM to track and claim a battleship class UFO. Surrounded by five thin men, under withering fire and already injured, Major Thompson was shot while in poor cover and...

Excuse me. COLONEL Thompson was... fine. Took a break after the mission to soak his plasma wounds, but he returned to service not long after. He served with distinction until Operation Avenger, where, after taking friendly fire from a blaster bomb, he suffered psionic backlash from... running up to the leader of the alien invasion and shoving his alloy cannon into its face, firing until such time as it was dead.

Truly, this man was a representation of the finest XCOM had to offer and we offer him a posthumous medal of honor. For he...

Oh. I'm being informed I cannot award Colonel "Twitch" Thompson this award, as he, technically speaking, is not dead. Or even severely injured.

For pete's sake, Paul.

• 2 years later...

Assault Girl Runs and Guns into the Scout UFO and right up to the Outsider. Oh so apparently you can't do an Arc Thrower attack with Run and Gun? Who knew. Outsider's Light Plasma Rifle at point blank range makes her "Oh really?" expression a permanent part of the landscape.

Colonel Hesincharge runs across from one side of the map to the other to help his men. He is standing next to the full height cover tree. In the full frontal bare ass naked open. Sorry no take backs. I guess he tripped on his bootlaces. His long glittering career as XCom Employee #1 ends in a blaze of Cyberdisc and Muton Plasma Rifle fire.