Good times and bad times

Pete

I found Resilience less useful than 50% more dmg from criticals. I tend not to get my assaults flanked - it is I who do the flanking so them being critical hit is not that common. While being up close and personal and having 70% critical chance. With scatter laser I plenty see 12 critical damage against mutons for example. With alloy cannon this number goes up to 16 I believe. Now that is even more brutal. Yes I know that sectopods/cyberdiscs have resistance to criticals but when you see that big numbers on muton elites you get all tingly.

I found Resilience less useful than 50% more dmg from criticals. I tend not to get my assaults flanked - it is I who do the flanking so them being critical hit is not that common. While being up close and personal and having 70% critical chance. With scatter laser I plenty see 12 critical damage against mutons for example. With alloy cannon this number goes up to 16 I believe. Now that is even more brutal. Yes I know that sectopods/cyberdiscs have resistance to criticals but when you see that big numbers on muton elites you get all tingly.

You need to Run & Gun to have the +50% critical damage from Killer Instinct - and one thing I learned with my Assaults is to never charge blindly or rely too much on Run Gun unless you are feeling lucky, stupid or you're 100% sure there are no hidden/unactivated aliens - to me it's a bad trade to kill your target if your Assault Colonel dies afterwards or gets a critical wound that lowers his/her Will. That's also why I prefer Resilience - in case something goes wrong and you just activated a 2nd pack of 3 Elite Mutons your Assault usually still has a fair chance of surviving. Lots of aliens also have the +10 crit damage and you'll get crit hits while trading potshots in cover with the aliens.

Scout/ fallback/let them come/ CHARGE!

Sniper fires last.

I prefer: Scout/Fallback/Let Them Come/Watch the Overwatch show from my huge ambush :)

Overwatch ambushes are one of the most challenging tactics. You need to make sure your soldiers will survive the counterfire and to set them properly so the shots go in a sequence instead of everybody firing at the same time.

Never bring squaddie sniper in a late game VIP extraction mission. Even with my elite soldiers I couldn't brake through because of constant poison. Reloaded brought colonel with double tap - things got much more easier.

I've also experimented with snap shot - worthless skill - couldn't hit broad side of a barn after moving. Also couldn't hit anything without moving ;) (couldn't see targets).

Never bring squaddie sniper in a late game VIP extraction mission. Even with my elite soldiers I couldn't brake through because of constant poison. Reloaded brought colonel with double tap - things got much more easier.

I've also experimented with snap shot - worthless skill - couldn't hit broad side of a barn after moving. Also couldn't hit anything without moving wink.png (couldn't see targets).

Poison = only bring Titan Armor, problem solved. To me the late Council missions are basically squaddie training runs after you get Psionics - Mindfray will kill any Sectoid/Thin Men better than plasma.

Well, DAMN. Really sorry, NoX.

They sounded like lyrics to me ;)

Just completed my second Classic playthrough - going to get the Slingshot pack soon and go for my 4th playtrough (total), 3rd on Classic and be 2 steps away from the achievement for all the starting continents :)

The end of that last mission... ugh... 3 guys mind controlled and I was still able to use one guy with Ghost armour and then my best sniper to finish off the target without incurring more losses. Amusingly your MC'd guys die when you complete that!

Only happens on final mission, but happened to me too. Lost three like Pete did.

I think if an Ethereal is using the 'Drain Psi' ability to drain additional HPs from an enemy then that enemy will also be killed if the Ethereal is killed. Not 100% sure on this though.

Space Stated :

What... lyrics?! Do I really need to google every damn thing anybody posts?! Meh.

lol @ Space, that's the Led Zeppelin song entitled Good Times Bad Times ;) . I figured I'd randomly troll that into this topic.

Pete Exclaimed :

They sounded like lyrics to me

;)

Good times, bad times.

Had a few more tries at Classic Ironman, and I had a bit of fun doing a ridiculous 'very difficult' mission with just 4 guys - one of each class. 3 groups of aliens got activated just as I took my first move. Amongst them were floaters, which just got introduced. Thought it was going to be a massacre for sure, but somehow I managed it and scored the Wetworks trophy with only the assault leaving the battle with 1 hp. Amazing. Luck can go the other way sometimes on the harder levels!

However the last one I played before I switched off for the night had me 'rage quitting' thanks to the unfair teleport roaming system this game employs.

It was the dug up highway map - which I absolutely detest. But that wasn't the reason why. Most of my team was huddling behind the digger and suppressing a cyberdisc hovering over the dug up hole. Earlier two mutons near the caravan at the back had been activated, but fled back into the darkness. After 3 turns of suppressing the cyberdisc and not doing any damage at all, the 2 mutons suddenly teleported behind the white truck on the right of the map. Literally on both sides of one of my guys that was crouched beside it - and being active, blew his head off right there and then. I immediately hit the PS3 power button, put the console away, and went to bed.

In the originals, you at least got massacred fair and square. Here you get massacred by the the random number generator suddenly deciding to play silly buggers. I really hope the developers take more time to rethink the battlescape if they ever decide on a sequel.

- NKF

Good times, bad times.

NKF, I completely know the feeling that you're describing but to me after a certain point I stopped reacting to that kind of situations - it's a matter of learning when that kind of teleport can happen - recently activated aliens avoiding a firefight instead of attacking is usually a sure sign they're up for something - and be prepared.

To me it's a game feature, not a bug. Things can and will go wrong, no matter how good a player is. :)

It's that bug that stopped me playing ironman on the classic setting.

Don't be scared with that bug - I think I've played 250 hours of Classic Ironman now (400 hours total) and I only got a couple of situations due to teleporting that really turned out bad into squad wipes (I just accept them and try to recover or accept that I've been beaten by the game). The moment aliens become active they can do anything and the AI loves throwing several packs at the same time at you.

From what I know this 'feature' is also present on Impossible - the AI is the almost the same for both levels.

They could've implemented it with a dramatic leap into the battle with the glam-cam view on or something. Just materialising out of thin air and blowing your head off ... I guess that must be how the Apocalypse aliens feel once you've reverse engineered the teleporter. :D

- NKF