108 replies to this topic

#41 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Lost a CI game. Posting because it was a great mix of good and bad times.

First I cursed that single steam in the lowest level but decided to go with it.

Then I needed to adjust my field tactics to the grinding of classic - scout forward, ready to get back to cover if aliens are triggered, the rest of the squad trigger happy. Lost a squad or two before I caved into this far less exciting play. Almost quit (not ragequit, just to restart with newly gained experience) twice.

Finally got on track, but taking on the base mission was necessary if I didn't want to lose three or four council members. Call it echo of those lost missions. So I took the mission, it went flawlessly and I felt pretty good, naturally. The only thing bothering me was lack of alloys, I wasn't able to build weapons, armour, nothing.

Finally a small scout comes around, landed. Three vets (B team) and three squaddies. Starting in a middle of a shallow stream, the first move needed to be longer than wished for. Bam, a squad of Muttons is triggered and one of the squaddies is down. The second one panics and shoots the third, who was already wounded. More panicking, but the rest clears Muttons and the map.

Than we open the UFO. Three Sectoid commanders, who would not have been there if I didn't take the base mission... Three soldiers mind controlled, team lost.

I'll shorten this. It took time and a lot of sacrifice to train new squad. Lack of alloys kept pressing on me, no way to build titan armour and low survivability of rookies. But I did manage to get an elerium generator running and a satellite nexus built. Four satellites will be built before the end of the month, this should do for now, but we're just one country short of defeat.

A big UFO lands, A team is scrambled - those who weren't wounded. Things go phenomenal, I see the light, but a Mutton elite squad appears at the end of that tunnel. My only real psycho, who isn't as powerful as one would hope for, fails every attempt of mind control (three in a row, all 75% chance or something), so the agony was dragging for quite a long time. Our soldiers really gave all they had. Muttons one-shot killed most of the squad, and finally even the psycho was gunned down.

We should have fled, but things were desperate on a global scale. Now, they were worse.

Just before the end of the month I start sending out satellites. Four countries panicking, four satellites. Jut right. Unless... Unless one already has a satellite.

Thus ended the agony, Earth is lost this time. But we'll be back.

#42 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Saving and loading often ain't shameful :P
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Doesn't work for nutters like me that auto-select Ironman. ;)

-NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#44 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well, I did finish an ironman on normal. It wasn't "officially" ironman as I didn't know when the game saves progress - and it is just not possible for me to have the save at the end of the mission or something like that. There were numerous missions when I had to quit more than five times before finishing it. Anyway, it was almost too easy. Then I went for Classic Ironman to test and the game saves all the time, which is great - and I went with it.

Silencer, I see no shame in saving and loading either, but ironman is ironman... It is a state of mind. ;)

#45 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Game in ironman saves every turn during combat. During base it always saves when you enter command room and exit it. It uses 1 save slot. There is also a trick to cheat the ironman mode. But I will not tell what to do.

View PostNKF, on 22 November 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Doesn't work for nutters like me that auto-select Ironman. ;)

-NKF

I'm not trying ironman till I don't understand every trick the game has to offer.

#46 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

I'm not trying ironman till I don't understand every trick the game has to offer.

Oh, but you not will understand every Jedi trick until Ironman you play, young padawan Posted Image

I basically stopped playing anything but Ironman - it's just too addictive  Posted Image
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#47 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Games like this one are addictive for exactly what ironman gives; a chance to lose fair. If you win, it is a hard earned win.

Than again, sometimes it feels REALLY cool to reload and KICK SOME ALIEN BUTT! On fourth try if need be! Posted Image

#48 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

My current classic play through has included more than 1 reload I confess. I'm hoping the patch means I can face an ironman attempt after this one (I have complete satellite coverage, no panic and only lost 2 countries so I'm swimming in cash) but the bugs meant I had to stop using ironman.

#49 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Started a game today, everything is going as planned, with the objective of completing CI and win a few additional achievements, including the Ain't No Cavalry Coming (1 soldier being on every mission).

2nd Terror Attack, but full squad with Skeleton Suits and Lasers, no problem.

Wrong.

6 Chryssalids, 3 Cyberdisks, 6 Drones and a few Floaters and no LZ.

Guess what happened... no more Ain't No Cavalry achievement. :(

#50 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

6 Chryssalids, 3 Cyberdisks, 6 Drones and a few Floaters and no LZ.

Child's play :P

#51 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 23 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Child's play Posted Image

I guess I deserved that one Posted Image

Slightly related, yesterday I had a CI Terror mission with 9 Chryssalids and a Cyberdisc at the Police Station building. I usually set up the Kill Zone right at the entrance of that building before moving inside to finish the remaining aliens. The first Chryssalid pack shows up (I'm with lasers and carapace armor). Two of them are killed, the third is injured but it's inside the building and out of range so no harm, hit end turn.
This is where it gets interesting. The 3rd Chryssalid moves back inside, emits a sound and a hidden pack of Chryssalids is activated (but without the animation) - 2 of them run straight to my soldiers but the remaining one also moves, gives a sound and a third pack of tChryssalids becomes active and rushes towards me.

I read about aliens activating packs on the 2K forums but I had never noticed it until now. On the mission afterwards I also saw the same behavior with Mutons. Has anyone notice this too?

#52 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yes, with both. Usually it happens when the enemy retreats or with Mutton blood call.

#53 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I usually spot aliens without activating them - then when my sniper hits/kills them they get activated - annoying.

#54 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 26 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

or with Mutton blood call.

Sounds delicious. Never had Mutton like that. :D

#55 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Does it go well with Lobster?

#56 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostKi-tat Chung, on 27 November 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

Does it go well with Lobster?

You mean Lobstton? Yes, some folks do appreciate it as an entree. Usually you just make a sausa with both and serve it on the Lobster's carapace. You can then eat it by dipping crunchy Chryssalid armor chips on it.

#57 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Oh shit, I've been writting Mutton since... ever. It does sound delicious now. Especially as yogurt tava. Thanks for finally telling me!

#58 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 28 November 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Oh shit, I've been writting Mutton since... ever. It does sound delicious now. Especially as yogurt tava. Thanks for finally telling me!

No problem. It's a classic mistake since 1994 Posted Image

#59 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Impossible not so impossible now are you. Lucky terror site at France helped me reduce the panic for whole Continent, except UK who surrendered in the first month. It was police station map so pretty tough map. Lost only 3 civilians and almost lost squaddie. Lucky he got critically wounded.

Posted Image

#60 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 01 December 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Impossible not so impossible now are you. Lucky terror site at France helped me reduce the panic for whole Continent, except UK who surrendered in the first month. It was police station map so pretty tough map.

Police station map? Walk in the park :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users