#21 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostNKF, on 31 October 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Those wacky teleporting mobs  - I don't know how many times a mob of heavy Floaters or Muton Elites suddenly materialise amongst my team and really mess them up. Had a rather funny one happen with a sectopod suddenly spawning on the very corner of the roof of the bridge of a supply ship. Was crawling around it when, pop, there's a sectopod on the roof. Since it didn't move much, it was double energy beams to the face for a few frantic turns.

Player's opinions seem to be divided on this but I personally like the random appearance/disappearance of aliens because of its randomness. Sometimes it can be frustrating when you've cornered the aliens to a room and find out that they zapped into another location (it has happened once) but it turns predictable firefights into tests of improvisation and quick thinking.

I'm not too fond of the way the alien encounters are set up, there's almost no such thing as being able to stealthily sneak up on enemies while they are unaware, as they'll instantly strike a pose and then run for cover, followed by a much exciting repartee of gun shootage. Only on rare occasion will you see them at a strange angle or at the very edge of your vision without triggering them.

Personally, I think the aliens are cottoning onto you so easily because your soldiers are making a lot of noise as they advance shouting out motivational slogans like "On Overwatch!", "Eye-Firmative!" "Eyes Peeled Commander!" and other witticisms. Posted Image It's like how you get the orange wavy thingy that indicates the aliens are chattering away nearby.

- NKF

It's difficult but there's ways to avoid activating enemies while approaching them - that's another challenge I think. I also use the 'run for cover' mechanic to my advantage on a number of situations, by placing soldiers on Overwatch before activating the aliens to take a shot as they run for cover. One nice situation is when opening the UFO bridge door to wipe out the Outsider before it reaches cover.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#22 7h30n

7h30n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Pfft, I just had a "run for your life" moment. Never thought things could get this hard on tactical side. Started a terror mission at the end of August in Russia. Sent out a rookie to scout, spotted a spawn of Heavy Floaters. My sniper got to work and took out the first one. On alien turn 3 more spawns of floaters enter the area and get their free turn. One falls to overwatch the rest remain alive. I fire off a rocket at the civilian standing between 2 floaters and my assault runs to good position to take one out. Next turn, even more floaters come to fight. This time overwatch wasn't effective at all.
I said, eff it! Dashed all my guys into extraction zone and aborted the mission.

Russia immediately withdrew from the project!

Council report gave me an A rank, lol!
TheOn

Faber est suae quisque fortunae.

#23 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Hi All! I got the game for my birthday Friday and stormed through the first 8 missions on Normal with only 1 KIA. Even he did not fall in vain, we got an Outsider crystal out of the same mission. That plus some interrogation got us the Alien base approximately March or April. We were still on conventional weapons but kicking butt and fielding a full squad of 6 soldiers, so I figured why not try the base mission.

Chrysalids, is why not.

OK, here come the first two. Panic, panic, no line of fire, oh wait, we can save our scout by hitting them with grenades.
The damn thing took two frag grenades point blank and is still standing. "Grenades do 5 damage." Chrysalids have 15HP. Between three team members, we take down one - ONE! of these things. This is rather a jump from Floaters, even. The surviving Chryssie attacks with claws and blades, and I know what happens next.

Luckily the Heavy guy they attack has our new carapace armor, even so, he survives with only 1 HP. Can he stun the thing at point blank? No, they must be immune to Arc Throwers, its not even an option. The full team response takes down the wounded alien. Rookie gets to our guy afterwards and applies medkit.

All right, what's next? We blow through four sectoids and get to an open area. Two thin men. Some robotic probe. We can do this.

A second wave of Chrysalids. Ok, they're at some distance; the wounded Heavy gets a rocket into the midst and hit two of them.
Rockets don't kill them?!
The third unzips the Rookie like a sleeping bag full of offal. But he gets back up. Go on there, Rookie! He lurches towards the Lieutenant, who finds himself literally shoulder to shoulder between this zombie and the sauntering Chrysalid, who hesitates. Maybe it doesn't like the Lieutenant's smell. He's had better days, but judicious use of Bullet Storm by the wounded Heavy and some careful point-blank Sniping saves the Lieutenant's bacon.

The 5 remaining soldiers cautiously advance. Its... a third wave of Chrysalids. :(
Despite our caution, and some sniper shots, we can only take down one and the other two slay our Assault "Spitfire" and zombify the wounded Heavy. NO! Yes. I don't know how we pulled it off exactly but we're left alive, with the Lieutenant badly wounded, and only the two snipers backing him up. It's time to abort... we can't abort. :P

OK, forward, squad wipe or glory for team, so... screw those "capture the commander" orders. Very very cautious, overwatch leapfrog, narrow corridor into what please god is the end of this chamber of horror. Both snipers overwatch as the Lieutenant tries sticking his neck out (one move) and pulling it back quick (second move).
He walks forward and sticks his neck out into the far room.
Two Chryssalids perk up, and get pantswettingly close.
He pulls back quick, and uses his second move to run back up the corridor for the slim protection of the snipers, run, run from the nightmares. The first chryssalid comes around the corner blind. It staggers from one sniper shot. The second goes straight for the Lieutenant and shreds his armor away. Down to one HP- and it's our turn.
Headshot. Headshot. LMG. That's the end of the fourth Chryssalid wave, thanks be to F*(&.
I save the game. Its 1 am. I don't know how it ends yet, but I need sleep. I need sleep like those soldiers needed that lucky break.
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#24 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

The aliens are similarly given away for their fondness of crisps (potato chips) as popcorn - their evil ways, usually seen in cinemas when they rustle a bag and munch loudly, are what gives them away on the battlefield too :D
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#25 7h30n

7h30n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Oh shit! This is it, I'm embarking on the final mission!
Wish me luck! Hopefully there won't be many sectopods, because my first encounter with them was heart stopping!
TheOn

Faber est suae quisque fortunae.

#26 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Terror mission in Mumbai, got swamped by chryssalids and Zombies. Then 2 cyberdisks show up. Despite it all and only saving 6 citizens my only casualty is a squaddie assault. Just as I think I'm finished I run my heavy up to the last civilian, and pop 3 more chryssalids :( I lose 3 more soldiers, included 3 of my most senior and my remaining sniper and support run for the sky ranger and abort. Indian leave the council.

I get no recovery time before I'm off on an abduction mission. That goes really well however and I pull through with a low ranked squad. Now I'm doing the alien base mission and , so far, I'm still alive. Used up all my rockets though on chryssalids, but no cyberdisks yet. Almost there........

#27 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I had a Classic Ironman where the first terror site went incredibly well until there was only 1 Chryssalid left. First it zombified my Assault. Then all the 3 other soldiers fired and missed. Then it zombifies the Sniper. The Support and the Heavy fire at it but fail to kill it. It zombifies the Support and the Heavy tries to reach the LZ. Guess what happened next.

#28 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

On one of terror mission for my AAR (if anyone of you are watching) on one alien turn 3 groups of mutons with  berserkers, sectopod and chrysalids were activated. Will not tell how it ended but I was pretty scared ;)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Alien base assault mission. I take my best men, loaded with carapace Armour and Laser weapons. I proceed through the base with extreme caution and it pays off. Chrysalids are taken down by combination of rocket fire and assault scatter lasers. With this resulting in available cover being blown to smithereens the assault run&gun ability is crucial as spotter for my godlike squadsight sniper to lay waste to the Mutons holding back. Drones swoop in from the flanks and fall to reaction fire, I freeze waiting for the cyberdisks to follow them up, hopefully into the teeth of my HEAT wielding heavies, but they never come. In the end we make it to the final chamber with not one injury between the 6 squad members. They have become legends. The sectoid commander narrow avoids capture thanks to a fortuitous panic fire shot from the junior support soldier he has just mind swatted, just as my support Major was closing in with the arc thrower. Annoying but we take the base with no loss of life and one minor injury.

Next mission is a Abductor UFO mission. I give the legends the night off and send in squad B of slightly lower ranked soldiers. Rather than assault through the UFO I decide to flank down the side before assaulting the bridge through the power source rooms. Alas an encounter with a group of Chryssalids leaves one rookie zombified, but my squaddie sniper cooly takes down both the Chryssalid and the zombie next turn, why my heavies rocket fire mops up the rest.

Them the game plays silly buggers. A group of Mutons, thin men and a Berserker all clip through the UFO wall and rush my squad. With no rockets left fire is concentrated on the Berserker, but to no avail. With 1 HP left it picks up my squaddie assault and kills him fast. A Muton leave my senior support with 3 HP and thing are not looking good. However I some how pull it out of the bag and nail the thin men with a grenade, the Muton with sniper fire, and the berserker with a pistol (damn reloads) all 4 remaining squad members are hurtin but still alive. They slowly creep to the bridge and get set up, weapons at the ready.

The door opens, there are 2 Sectoid Commanders. My remaining assault rushes in and flanks. 89% to hit you say? Misses. The heavy with bullet storm has 70% to hit. He fires. Misses. He fires again. And misses again. The support major darts in and flanks again, 73% to hit. Guess what. Misses again. Finally the sniper, slightly out of position fires with 51% to hit. And misses.

Alien turn the assault is mind controlled and the support panicked. She shoots the heavy who has 2 HP left. He panics, shoots the assault (mind controlled) and leave him with 1HP. One Sectoid then takes out the heavy while the other retreats to cover and mind panics the sniper. Unable to use ly panicking squad the aliens immediately have another turn. The mind controlled assault takes out the support, while the sniper cowers. Need I say more?

If the Berserker / mutons /  thin men had not clipped through the UFO wall I think I might have been in much better shape at the end, but you can't account for that many missed shots at relatively high percentages. Do I use that as justification to restart the mission? Or just accept "that's XCOM baby!" ?

#30 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostSorbicol, on 06 November 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

If the Berserker / mutons /  thin men had not clipped through the UFO wall I think I might have been in much better shape at the end, but you can't account for that many missed shots at relatively high percentages. Do I use that as justification to restart the mission? Or just accept "that's XCOM baby!" ?

If you're playing Ironman just take the losses or restart. I quit playing without Ironman because it takes away the pressure of those decisions - just lost 1 Colonel, should I retreat or press on? It's a completely different mindset from Normal - you always have the 'safety' of a save to go back so you should be more willing to take more risks during a mission, while on Ironman you'll pay for any mistakes or things just going south at the wrong time. Your whole campaign can lie on the balance so it's different.

#31 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I turned off ironman because there are too many bugs in the game that can cripple you through no fault of your own. Restarted an instead of the UFO assault mission I got a terror mission instead. I needed those alloys :-/

#32 Fishfins

Fishfins

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

The 'percent to hit' system sometimes makes me groan; get up to hugging distance with a cryssalid, 94% chance of hit, miss, sniper with 70% chance of hit misses too, spout verbal abuse at computer. It used to bug me.

But it does work both ways; had lucky moments where mutons across the map were blasted with alloy cannons, had another awesome moment today where my best sniper was saved from two cryssalids by newbie supports both scoring hits that only had a 20% chance. When I crunched the numbers, I couldn't believe it. Hooray for random numbers!

#33 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostSorbicol, on 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

I turned off ironman because there are too many bugs in the game that can cripple you through no fault of your own. Restarted an instead of the UFO assault mission I got a terror mission instead. I needed those alloys :-/

Since the game is always saving I haven't got any major problems with bugs - if it hangs, it's simply a matter of reloading and you'll start 1 turn earlier if in a mission - it can be actually a bonus to have a crash since you'll know in advance the location of any aliens revealed on that turn.

View PostFishfins, on 06 November 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

The 'percent to hit' system sometimes makes me groan; get up to hugging distance with a cryssalid, 94% chance of hit, miss, sniper with 70% chance of hit misses too, spout verbal abuse at computer. It used to bug me.

I couldn't win Classic Ironman until I stopped letting it affect me. S*** happens :)

#34 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just had so much irritating moment with random seed.... I'm playing on impossible (thank god not ironman). I'm in the grocer shop and I have 2 thin man. One with 2 HP left second full. My heavy is out of ammo, my sniper has 1 shot 35% with sniper and a grenade. My support of course has assault rifle. The 2HP Thin man I want to stun... but the seed prevents me to do so because I need to do something else so the 80% chance will succeed. I think I spent 30 minutes and 50 loads to figure out the best situation of hit and misses.

For those who want to achieve same thing as I did:

http://www.mediafire...958fk55ftz0zgrd

Hope the seed is also stored.

Oh there is a secotid and floater nearby.

View PostSorbicol, on 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

If you know those bugs use them to your advantage. I have finished Classic Ironman so it is beatable with all those annoyances.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#35 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

In the end it was anti-climactic. There was only one sectoid commander left, my snipers were up high, he stopped directly beneath one, and he had a really big head.
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#36 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I had a council mission last night that threw 18 thin men at me. At one point I think 10 were in play at the same time. Due to that rather painful terror mission I was fielding 3 rookies, a SHIV and 2 veterans. I had only 1 grenade and all my heavies were in the med bay. It was very painful, I lost the SHIV and the rookies (despite them all getting at least 2 kills) and the two veterans are going to be in the med bay for some time.

Got plasma rifles now though, rapidly researching Titan armour. 2 labs and 1 workshop being built, satellites on all countries except Australia and Argentina. I think I'm going to be OK.

#37 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostJellyfishGreen, on 09 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

and he had a really big head.

HE HE HE, continuing the sentence would be unnecessary.

#38 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostSorbicol, on 09 November 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

I had a council mission last night that threw 18 thin men at me. At one point I think 10 were in play at the same time. Due to that rather painful terror mission I was fielding 3 rookies, a SHIV and 2 veterans. I had only 1 grenade and all my heavies were in the med bay. It was very painful, I lost the SHIV and the rookies (despite them all getting at least 2 kills) and the two veterans are going to be in the med bay for some time.

Got plasma rifles now though, rapidly researching Titan armour. 2 labs and 1 workshop being built, satellites on all countries except Australia and Argentina. I think I'm going to be OK.

On Classic 18 Thin Men is usually what you'll get after the early part of the game in most Council Missions. You'll face 4 groups really close to one another (really hard not to activate more while fighting one) and after the bomb deactivation or reaching the person it will drop 6 more aliens on the map. After you play all of them you know where they'll drop on the map at the end so it's usually a matter of leaving your soldiers on Overwatch right after the bomb is deactivated.

Frag Grenades and Assault Rifles are too unreliable against Thin Men. You need to have weapons that can kill them with 1 shot, like Laser Rifles or only bring Snipers/Assault/Heavies because of their weapon power.

#39 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

I had light plasma rifles :D just too many of the feckers and the lack of explosives meant missing really hurt. Could have use the rockets to take down more than one at a time.

#40 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostSorbicol, on 09 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I had light plasma rifles Posted Image just too many of the feckers and the lack of explosives meant missing really hurt. Could have use the rockets to take down more than one at a time.

Light Plasma Rifles with SCOPEs are even better because of the +20 Aim :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users