Thorondor

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress

Out to charm you today is Fallen Enchantress. Promising to sate everyone's twisted turn-based strategy cravings with its dark fantasy setting this just-released new title invites us once again to step into the world of Elemental.

(...) you are one of the few beings capable of channeling magic from the various shards of power that are scattered across the world. As such, the people look to you for leadership to spread your civilization across the land.

Fallen Enchantress takes place in the eastern sub-continent of Anthys. It is a wild, untamed place. Before you may consider conquering your rival kingdoms and empires, you must first conquer the land itself.

Through the course of the game, you will research new technologies, learn new magical spells, raise armies, negotiate treaties, fight wars and go on quests as your people struggle for domination of the world.

Once the world settings have been selected, the game will randomly generate a new world for the player to conquer. Each game is different and the player will never see the same world twice.

The game also includes a story-driven campaign that helps provide players with a background into the world in which Fallen Enchantress takes place. An interactive tutorial is also included to walk the player through how to play the game.

Word from Stardock's Mr.Derek Paxton in a recent interview:

(...) I'm very proud of the game we created. (...) I like quirks, I like odd details, I like a game where you are still finding new things out 20 hours in. It may be a bit daunting or overwhelming, but there is a world there. (...) great moments of discovery (...)

Should you want to have a better look at the game before fully giving in to its charms, check out the latest journal entries which were aired as a kind of countdown to release. The manual is also already available for perusal here (direct link).

Otherwise, Channeler, feel free to bring it to your possession by securing it from any of the leading digital retail outlets out there in the wilds of the Internet.

Bought it - but something is bonkers with steam - I bought it as gift - saved few EUR that way but can't redeem the gift

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/882963520827365441/#p3

Edit:

Looks like steam is working ok. Installed the game - needed to create Stardock account, a short intro welcomed me and a nice looking main menu with nice music.

I do think Stardock is not really small and scrappy company. Any more.

Yeah, they're not that small, certainly not indie small, but fairly modest and still quite vulnerable. As was seen with the original game's debacle the financial hit they took mattered.

::

Also, spotted some impressions at Out of Eight about the new game (video included).

Finished the tutorial and just created my first game - it's not much but I could say few words about this game:

The first thing that is nice about this game is music - it's awesome - very climactic - the best part of this game right now.

Next thing what I liked is hero creation. It got plenty of stuff to chose from. The game runs smooth - no hickups no slow downs but I've just played few rounds. The tutorial is ok made - there are videos that present what to do, but it doesn't say how to play the game right - well you will have to learn it by trial and error.

On first look it got the feeling of Civilization, HoMM and Warlock:Master of Arcane combined, but I think it is lacking of something that both have - don't know what yet. The graphics aren't that good - they are not bad but aren't good - for me Warlock looks much better, maybe because here you can see the dark climate? I don't know I think that the play field could be done much better. Also the game feels quiet. There are no units talking when selected or moved just your normal footsteps though in battle there are some SFX'es. In Warlock every unit has it's shout when selected and that was nice - you felt the game was alive.

The research tree is divided into 3 categories all of them aren't that long like in CIV but it will probably take a while to research all. I think that this division is a good way - might be even good for Civilization (somebody throw Sid a hint ;) ).

UI could be done a little better me thinks, but well I will not judge it. And I mean layout of things. Found myself a first bug though. When in custom hero creation you switch between nations the tooltip of this nation doesn't update - you must move pointer over it again. Maybe they will fix it with first patch.

The battles are done similar to HoMM - you enter small battlefield - every unit moves according to its initiative and so on.

Not much more to say - I'll just add few pictures from hero creation and game creation:

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-00-21-96.jpg

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-02-28-52.jpg

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-02-48-31.jpg

There is random map generator but there are few made maps (too few I say)

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-04-13-94.jpg

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-05-37-05.jpg

FallenEnchantress%25202012-10-24%252023-06-52-12.jpg

So my first take - looks ok, but it ain't breath taking.

Oh and almost every where on hero creation there was a button "Post to Facebook"....

Thank you, Silencer! Personally I don't mind the graphics at all, as long as the gameplay feels right. So far so good, it would be imteresing to see further thoughts - if you find the time, naturally. Sometimes a game can get a hold of the player only after you've played it long enough.