#21 ricardo440

ricardo440

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

My recent revelations.

Blaster bombs can really shoot around corners:- This means that you can set up your Heavies in a safe location to take out those sectapods, or get them real low on the HP for someone to finish them off.

Capturing Aliens is not necessary. Except for the 2 you have to it is entirely pointless to risk your men when the biggest payoff is a few days in the lab saved. Mostly my scientists sit idle anyway.

Capturing aliens DOES give you their weapons. This is handy if you want to stockpile some guns.

Mind controled aliens who are killed drop their weapons. This usually arrives too late as you probably have a squads worth of weapons by then.

Firestorms can be built BEFORE you find the alien base. A firestorm with a plasma cannon on each continent is all that is needed.

This is the big one; I am yet to verify it. Anyone who can disprove by counter example please do but I noticed it over the last couple of months while I was waiting for my Psi screening:
Alien Abduction Sites don't appear on countries you have satellites.

I noticed this because I've been burning time to get my Psi troopers online. I had left all but three locations  (brazil, USA and canada) without satellites, and every time I got an abduction mission it was on those three places. Once I built the remaining satellites I now can't remember having an abduction mission at all. Terror, Council UFO and Crash sites, but no abductions...

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

As far as I can see this would make satellite placement really important on high difficulty games because you can then manage the Terror level.

#22 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

View Postricardo440, on 26 October 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Capturing Aliens is not necessary. Except for the 2 you have to it is entirely pointless to risk your men when the biggest payoff is a few days in the lab saved. Mostly my scientists sit idle anyway.

While it's true, capturing aliens is recommended - some aliens give bonus to research (50% boost) so instead of researching that laser tech every 10 day you will research it every 5th day. And that is important.
How can your scientists sit idly when there is plenty of research to do ? Unless on Easy/Normal research takes few days comparing to Classic where it takes very long for some techs.

Secondly after I've researched light plasma rifle I got a request for 5 of them for 1200 credits... now that kind of money doesn't grow on trees. Also you will save yourself few hundred of credits to upgrade your soldiers. There is also a foundry project that upgrades your regular grenades to alien grenades (important for those who like grenades)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Personally speaking, I found I never needed the grenade upgrade. I stunned aliens on a regular enough basis that I always had enough stock of them. Only real benefit would have been that the alien grenades would be equipped by default instead of frag... which is useful admittedly since I did forget once, and it almost cost the lives of several of my men when I realised I only had frags.

#24 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

There is a jump in classic where Mutons appear. This is the first play through where I've, more or less, been able to deal with it. Had one mission restart though where a control glitch left my assault exposed and a chain reaction of subsequent panic fire took out 3 of my 5 squad. This is why ironman would be near impossible in my eyes.

#25 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

You just have to accept losing soldiers and missions. Losing a team doesn't lose you the game. (Unless it's the first mission. Or, presumably, the last.)

*shrug* no different to UFO:EU in that regard.

#26 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostKnan, on 28 October 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

You just have to accept losing soldiers and missions. Losing a team doesn't lose you the game. (Unless it's the first mission. Or, presumably, the last.)

*shrug* no different to UFO:EU in that regard.

And above all, it's necessary to learn when to retreat to a safer position or even pull out of a mission, if you started on a bad location and completely surrounded with aliens. It took me about 30 games of Classic Ironman before I learned how to cut my losses.

It takes a lot of quick thinking and adaptation - you're used to completely dominate the battlefield with your newest armour and weapons - but when you face new aliens that overconfidence and bravado can get you killed since you'll be facing the same situation on the beginning of the game when 1 shot can kill any of your soldiers.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#27 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,528 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Some quick tips for aspiring Commanders are now up at Armchair General here.

#28 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostThorondor, on 16 November 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Some quick tips for aspiring Commanders are now up at Armchair General here.

Nice article but he has something incorrect IMO: "The XCOM AI will, nine times out of ten, only fire at the closest soldier the enemy can see."

While it's true, this applies first, at least on Classic: "The XCOM AI will, nine times out of ten, fire at the soldier with the lowest/zero cover the enemy can see."

The AI looks for the better odds for kills - it doesn't matter if the unit is close or not. It knows how important skilled soldiers are to you...

#29 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Very true.

#30 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Real pain when the aliens run right up to your cover and for sure and certain blows you away. (And hilarious when they miss _their_ 99% shot once in a while.)

#31 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostKnan, on 17 November 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Real pain when the aliens run right up to your cover and for sure and certain blows you away. (And hilarious when they miss _their_ 99% shot once in a while.)

I'm getting used to CI but one of the most stressful situations is when you start fighting more than 1 pack of Mutons at the same time - you don't want to be on the receiving end of a Muton Blitzkrieg: first one of them does Blood Call giving all in range a +10 Bonus in Will/Aim and +4 Movement; then another throws a grenade to blow your cover and the rest charge you - it's a pleasure and a pain to see the AI play so well in these occasions.

#32 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Got utterly fed up with the search for psy soldiers. Than I changed the strategy. Hired a lot of rookies and only kept the ones with will 50 and over. Those are good for testing, the rest are a waste of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users