End of Game [EXTREME SPOILERS]

Pete

Got half my team mind-controlled at the end there, but thankfully my sniper was still up and took out Uber Ethereal in the end, while the Volunteer ran for his life from a bunch of murderous teammates.

Anyone taken a SHIV in there? Useful?

Got half my team mind-controlled at the end there, but thankfully my sniper was still up and took out Uber Ethereal in the end, while the Volunteer ran for his life from a bunch of murderous teammates.

Anyone taken a SHIV in there? Useful?

It took me 5 attempts on my first try (on Classic, no Ironman) but afterwards it's easy. I equipped my 3 Heavies and 1 Assault with Psionic Shields (my 6 Colonels were all Psi Operatives but the Ethereals controlled nearly all of them before), left the Sniper on the door and the Support (Volunteer) next to him.

First I sent a controlled Muton Elite to the central lower part. Then after the animation I sent the Heavies forwards to those platforms, and had one of them activate the Telekynetic wall. The Ethereals either shot at my soldiers (but with 4 damage) or tried to control them (1 got controlled, even with the Mind Shield), but I kept firing Sniper shots and rockets and the High Ethereal (ignore all the others, once it's dead the others die as well) until it died.

It wasn't apparent to me the first time through that you just have to kill the main guy - I realise it now of coerse, but I think it would have made that room a bit easer. Too easy maybe if you're lucky enough to make it into the room with a good line of sight and powerful weapons.

On Classic the health of many of the aliens is greatly increased so I look forward to doing this mission again with the right tools :)

On Classic the health of many of the aliens is greatly increased so I look forward to doing this mission again with the right tools smile.png

Not all. Alien HPs are the same on Normal/Classic for the higher tier aliens like Ethereals, Muton Elites, Bezerkers, Sectopods and Chryssalids - the problem is really dealing with Thin Men/Outsiders/Mutons with 4 HPs instead of 3. Thin Men can be really dangerous at the beginning on Classic if you activate more than 1 group of 3.

Activating too many groups has been a pain on this play through, but I have also encountered the "bug" of groups appearing out of thin air in already seen territory on a least one map, whereas they usually spawn on the edge of your field of vision if course.

I think I noticed that PSI gifts are generated randomly. In one moment I had my assault being gifted next thing after load in same batch of 3 people my other soldier was gifted. I wonder if someone could test it too. If loading will not do maybe playing some mission (other save), exiting the game and re-loading just before sending to PSI lab to check if it is true.

I think I noticed that PSI gifts are generated randomly. In one moment I had my assault being gifted next thing after load in same batch of 3 people my other soldier was gifted. I wonder if someone could test it too. If loading will not do maybe playing some mission (other save), exiting the game and re-loading just before sending to PSI lab to check if it is true.

Maybe it's a chance thing, just like shot accuracy percentage? Could be something as simple as will/1000, so having 100 will gives you 10% chance?

My theory is that the gift is granted at a % for each soldier when they join the team in a similar manner to how they're assigned a class. The game does state there's a relation between being gifted and high will, so maybe when a gifted soldier joins your team, they get a bonus to will.

But will is increased randomly by 2 + 1-4 (or 0-4) and additional 1-4 or (0-4) after OTS upgrade. Additionally your soldiers can lose Will after being critically wounded in battle. I had 99 Will soldier fail the test so this Will thing doesn't work that way.

So if this is kind of random chance per screening people could load/save to get perfect results. It could take a while though.

Maybe the calculations are wrong, but that was just a stab in the dark anyway. The game itself says that the higher your will, the greater the chance of your soldier being psi capable. So unless they're lying and there's actually a hidden psi stat somewhere, that's the simplest theory. On average, I've found my troops to be roughly 10-15% psi capable, if that's worth anything.

I'll be short.

There are a lot of things this game streamlined far too much. Interceptions, bases, aiming modes, combat sight... The list goes on.

YET they did exactly what I needed to see done - and that is shortened the combat moves (and thus missions) enough for me to keep any interest in the game as a whole. Also the game shows a lot of love for the original and this matters a whole damn lot to me.

So while I like a lot of things far less, I like the game as a whole more. Play weeks I invested into the originals left a time scar on my soul and however much I tried, I wasn't able to play them for years now. I can play XCOM and it is fun. With all its shortcomings.

Just completed this on Classic.

Looooots of reloading involved as I wanted to try out lots of things (plus they kept kicking my ass) but the final mission is much better with the right tech. This time round, I didn't rush it - researched everything and got my final squad to almost all Colonels before going in.

For the two Sectopods I had trouble with last time in the Temple ship I sent in a mind controlled Muton first and a guy with Ghost armour second to get a good position and waste their reaction shots on the Muton. Then my gifted Psionig put up the telekinetic field and the Sectopods missed with all their shots that turn - I love that ability smile.png Finally I disabled them with the snipers and finished them off with the rest of my team. Very satisfying!

In the final room I ran my guys in and kept to the back then my Ghost armoured guy went further in on the top-level to spot everyone, then got my gifted person into position to use the rift on the High Ethereal (it's a guaranteed hit, but it doesn't do him too much damage). Next my guy with the Blaster Launcher hit the High Ethereal with a Shredder rocket (another guaranteed hit, plus I can stay in hiding whilst firing it!). Finally I encountered several bad rolls of the dice as all my men hit the High Ethereal but all shots were deflected but the final headshot from my Sniper got him and it was game over again smile.png

I've picked up quite a few achievements on Steam today completing it again, but there are still about 27 I don't have.

I must say that the game was far more satisfying this time around. No idea why the latest patch makes Easy mode easier when Normal was pretty straightforward, but Classic can be satisfyingly/horrifically brutal at times and I look forward to trying it again without reloading - I suspect this will entail lots of running away.

Oh, and my final thought was that I was extremely lucky that I got the request for Plasma Rifles and was able to fulfil that for over 2,000 credits - without that I would have struggled on as my research choices were very poor this time around as I'd not touched laser weapons until much later in the game. The moral of that story is: don't rush for Plasma when Lasers are quicker to obtain... but we all know this from the original too wink.png

Pete, classic ironman does not demand a lot of running away. It does demand very slow tactical missions though. Send a rookie forward, if he spots nothing, everybody take positions, everybody overwatch. Rinse and repeat.

I only lost one battle so far but I may be forced to take on the base not to lose five countries from the council. Not that it should be a problem, but I hoped to take it slow and use the mission a month later.

If I hadn't f&!;(d up that single mission, it could be different. I'll be facing a bad grade, too. I had to skip two ufos as I'm still on avalanches.