DLC

DLC Content  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What type of DLC would you care to get?

• Single Player Maps/Missions
    • Multiplayer Maps
    • More Character Customization
    • New Unit Classes
    • More Skills/Perks
    • New Weapons & Armament
    • New Aliens
    • Other
    • FLAME-THROWERS!

Yeah that makes sense, thought you were suggesting it as a general tactic :D And yeah of course the same thing happened in the original, that's why I said sometimes we make 'unlucky or careless' moves sometimes. That's true of both games. In the original though that man you sacrificed was just a rank and file rookie so it didn't matter. In the new game it really hurts when that happens so there's a much smaller margin of error!

In my case all the aliens were right at my drop location. I set up and took cover then all the enemy units in the mission came to life. This actually happens very often to me. Tactics would not help in that case just fire power and crossing of fingers. I think 8 troops would allow some more options or as mentioned an equipment slots for a shiv or two would be nice. With only 6 troops your squad is limited in its make up and flexability. You can't really break up into two groups because if you run into a Disc or Berzeker you most likely won't have enough fire power to fend it off. Sure you will have loses but its hard to bring rookies on any mission to promote because you need the hit points and advantages of the vets as the game goes on. You're forced to take vets on every mission and not really allowed to bring new guys so they too can get experience if they are needed (After a certain point in the game). So anyone you lose is always great loss. You need the option to bring a rookie (red shirt) or two as expendable and if they make it and get promoted, great. It might help if the soldiers all had expanded equipment in their kit. If you could take a scope and some added armor on a heavy that would make big difference in survivablity but only the support class seems to get extra slots. I don't know if that changes later in the game.

In my case all the aliens were right at my drop location.

I've read about it but I never had that problem - sure I could encounter aliens on my first move but I never had a situation that I couldn't do anything about it.

Also thinking of rookies as expendables is just plain wrong.

Same here, I've had super nasty situations as I said but never quite as unlucky as you Mickey! And although I still think a 7th slot might be a bit unbalanced I DO agree that it's tough to level up rookies later in the game. I had serious issues with it in my original normal game when bringing rookies along on a small scout mission actually cost me the whole team and forced one of my only reloads of the whole game. Obviously it was a cakewalk with my proper squad...

A good solution to this has just been touched on by Mickey in the form of a 'red-shirt slot' - a free 7th slot for a soldier of squaddie rank or below.

I think it would solve the problems mentioned as ultimately that rookie would be a freebie so couldn't possibly compromise the integrity of the squad. Since I've played more I'm now pretty good at levelling up rookies by holding them back as opportunist killers. Grenades are their best way to level up and even work on the stronger enemies if you're clever about using your vets to weaken them enough for rookies to polish them off!

And I don't know if I agree that treating rookies as expendable is wrong... I mean sure, they aren't expendable in the same way as the rookies in the original but only because they aren't as easily lost as was the case in the original. With experience, it's quite possible to level up these new soldiers if you use your remaining troopers to full effect and even though it's still pretty easy to lose them if you're not careful it isn't usually the one shot kill scenario like it was on the original. That means you have another chance to fall back with your injured trainees, a luxury that was never afforded by the original!

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised this topic has remained dormant in light of the new "Slingshot" DLC from Firaxis. However it appears that the initial release of the DLC had a game breaking bug, and correct me if I'm wrong, did NOT include the 2 patch/updates released via steam. Although my temperament borderlines on the, Rants & Raves section post. I once again felt it was necessary to resurrect this topic and make it a viable discussion. I have a feeling most of you (with good reason) have not yet purchased this DLC. Has any bought this DLC? Was this what you were expecting from a TBS game?

-NoX