difficulty of missions is always high

ineyaa

I'm new to XCOM series, so the easiest difficulty setting was obvious choice for me. I'm couple hours in game and I'm constantly getting missions which are either 'difficult' or 'very difficult'. What should I do so that I can catch a breath. The only time I have seen 'moderate' difficulty on mission summary was when I looked at some screenshots from other people. Any hints? Bad luck?

For the first 2 months, don't worry too much - The difficulty just means you get more sectoids or thin men in the mission that you can gun down horribly. I more or less ignore difficulty and go straight for Panic levels, or rewards (depending on your situation - Engineers make stuff cheaper, scientists for quicker research, money and soldiers for when you need those).

Seems to me the difficulty level is dependent on what troops the aliens have deployed. If it's just Thin Men and Sectoids then it grades it as Easy, but if there are Berserkers, heavy Floaters and Cyberdiscs, then it might be a Difficult or Very Difficult. Honestly though, on my first play though on Normal I was a little intimidated at first by the big red letters stating "VERY DIFFICULT", but when I actually deployed, I found it to be quite reasonable compared to EU'94. After a while, when you get your troops armoured and armed with laser weapons and higher, you just ignore the difficulty assessment of missions.

The nice thing about the new X-Com is that Armor actually works... I can't count the number of times highly ranked soldiers in flying suits got killed in 1 shot by a heavy plasma. That has yet to happen to me in X-Com-2012. My best armor left my best soldier with 2hp after a Sectopod fired away happily at it from point blank range. If that was the old X-com... death would have been certain and often.

It's only fair...because armor is a big investment. On the other hand, it's a bit lame that once a soldier has been killed wearing your precious armor... you can just deploy it on someone else like nothing happened to it. You'd image in it being full of holes and at least having repair costs or something lol.

High level armour and weapons are damn resource-intensive. Never had the engineers handy to build the top armours.

Instant autopsy/interrogation is a pretty good research multiplier, I find, since the interrogations give you research credit.