So here's the thing

Tortoise232

I just recently bought the game (for it seemed an awful lot of fun) and recently also restarted the game , due to not knowing the basics.

So here I am , on my second game , minding my own bussines, mining recourses ,trading with reticulans, closing 1 or 2 g gates ... and then ... absolute failiure.

It seems that i either didn't research the good upgrades or i'm missing something , but every mission leaves me with the whole crew wounded (even with a medic doing his fulltime job xD) and barely doing my mission . Any attack on the beastmen front will end up with me fighting against 2 captains and 2 alchemists(every alchemist equiped with the trusty grenade launcher , that has given me a hard time), sometimes a roller or a couple of shamans .

what's the reason of my post , may you ask?

I'm asking for a bit of guidance... because I am a little confused

Here's what I have : 5 soldiers (4 equiped with rifles and 1"support class" as i like to call him) 4 rifles

4 light suits and heavy suits researched .

I don't have enough metal for heavy suits though, and that's pretty bad

Soldier levels : 14 for all except the support (he's like ... 8 or 10)

And i don't know what research should i do , or what i should get

The storyline has unfolded up to the moment where the laputians sent me their cargo (it says it's on the way, so i haven't actually received it .)

And also, I haven't attacked the yellow reticulans yet.

So , thanks in advance, and if you have any advice, please let me know grin.gif

First off: You certainly need better weapons asap :) Get shotguns! They work wonders against beastmen! well-trained snipers are also effective for a while but not sure they're worth it in the long run as the later opponents are hard for them to take down.

My combat team usually consists of 3 soldiers, 2 soldier/techs and 2 soldier/scientists. two soldiers trained to run fast and close with shotguns, one for heavy weapons, Techs and scientist with repair-kits and med-kits with rifles to begin with and later on some of the new and fun weapons that gets available later on ;)

One thing you don't mention in your post is how you train your troops, Maybe that's something you need to change as well. All figthers should have at least minor suit as well as minor toughness. Aside from that I would say it's a matter of style ;)

Hope this is helpfull Cheers!

Ohh about research... focus on getting your base and production up and running first, then when you are more established you can start teraforming, don't go for that right away you will get plenty of time for that when you're firmly equipped to fight the tougher opponents..

Oh , about my soldiers .

The 4 "clean soldiers" all have Majour athletics as well as minor/major stability and major resistance(the hp thing.)

Thanks a lot for the tips. If i may ask one more thing, what's the research for the shotguns?

aaand also what comes from the laputian cargo maybe grin.gif ?

The research for Shotguns is advanced firearms. To research it you need to have a shooting range at the base as well as having researched earth tech and firearms

Laputians gives you 2 Gauss cannons (awesome weapon hehe) and 1 level of noble metals. :)

Training-wise you should consider specializing your troops a bit and don't forget to train the ones that are not pure soldiers! :D

Also test what weapons works well against which enemies and equip/deploy according to that. (don't wanna give too much away so you'll have to test it a bit yourself ;) )

The research for Shotguns is advanced firearms. To research it you need to have a shooting range at the base as well as having researched earth tech and firearms

Laputians gives you 2 Gauss cannons (awesome weapon hehe) and 1 level of noble metals. smile.png

Training-wise you should consider specializing your troops a bit and don't forget to train the ones that are not pure soldiers! grin.gif

Also test what weapons works well against which enemies and equip/deploy according to that. (don't wanna give too much away so you'll have to test it a bit yourself wink.png )

Thanks a lot ^__^

Something useful to do is check any alien suits and weapons you get. You can't really get beasman suits, but looking at the reticulan suits is a good way to figure out what they're weak against; looking at the weapons tells you what guns they think are good, perhaps tested on their own kind.

Futher, looking at their weapons tells you what armor to bring, yourself. Guns that shoot fast for low damage, you want to just avoid, but those that shoot strong you want to block. Getting those extra resources should definitely help.

To make it as simple as possible: (Highlight to read, spoilers)

Use heavy suits against the beasmen. They don't shoot as fast, but are very accurate and powerful. Reticulans shoot fast, not so accurately, except for their rockets. Rockets are slow moving, so fast characters can just get out of the way, making light suits great against them.

Research into the beastman's anatomy tells you that the matriarchs are weak against laser weaponry, I take that to mean that lasers burn the skin off any beasman. Reticulans, on the other hand, fall to the slightest level of projectile bullets, they've got no stability against the momentum of a solid object. Once they're knocked off their feet, they can't shoot until they get back up, so quick shooters (rifles, pistols) are great. When they start shielding themselves, bring out shotguns or beastman weapons, and they'll continue to fall.

A win-all weapon is explosives. Rockets and grenades take up massive amounts of inventory, but here's a trick: You can load up the UFO with spare rockets or grenades, and when your person runs low, send them back to the UFO to reload. To compensate for the missing space in the boot, another tip: When taking the spoils of victory, you can click the character's icon to have them carry the loot instead of the UFO's boot, though it does apply to the UFO's weight limit still. Even robots take some high damage from rockets.

Finally, don't be afraid to offer supplies to the Reticulans. Their lasers are much more accurate and powerful than any that you make, and they love to give you bateries or rockets in exchange for your projectile weapons, and especially for beasman weapons, which easily trump yours.