#21 7h30n

7h30n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostKi-tat Chung, on 03 November 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

This is all related to the fact that EU'12 uses the same random seed state. This is a conscious descision made by the designers, see here for a bit of a break down. So actually, things are (psudo-)random, its just not something that becomes obvious until you start abusing reloads.

And I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. The saving of a random seed is a way to prevent save scumming with one time actions, e.g. you save, fire off a shot and it misses and you keep reloading until you get a shot. It is a reasonable way to deal with save scumming random elements and any sane developer will put it in his game if it has randomness. Of course it brings another set of problems because people can abuse the order of the randomly generated outcomes but that isn't as bad as trying to get the "perfect random" outcomes when the random seed isn't saved.
TheOn

Faber est suae quisque fortunae.

#22 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Looking forward to the bugfix patch so I can use Shivs properly like the old HWPs.

#23 Yurim_Aster56

Yurim_Aster56

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have encountered a rather unusual a potentially game breaking bug (one I hope gets resolved soon) on impossible. It entails my squad on a council mission to rescue a guy on a bridge. I approach but nothing happens, he just keeps spouting off about him having all the fun. Reloaded the mission and it still happens. And the thing is I need this mission and its monetary rewards.

#24 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Is that the one with the VIP that's hiding behind the van in the bridge/street map?

One bug I've found with arming Support (and I think Heavies) with grenades after they've gained lots of psi abilities. Basically, I'll arm the grenade, and it doesn't show up in the battle as an option I can select.

The work-around for the Support unit I found was to swap the slots around and arm something in the first slot and then the grenade in the other. It doesn't seem to like taking the grenade first.

With the Heavy, I think it coincided with the unit also having the Shredder Rocket. Unfortunately I can't check on this one now as my only save has autosaved on the final mission.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#25 Misotu

Misotu

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I finally got the game for Christmas and have played (ahem) a few hours now. Love it. But have hit a few problems.

The most upsetting is the problem already described with multiple levels where it displays one floor but sends the soldier to the floor below. Just had to quit a mission when my top assault girl ended up on the wrong floor, out of cover and in the middle of three mutons, with pretty disastrous consequences. But then it got weirder when I hurled the entire squad in after her. One of the mutons standing on a ramp between floors could not be seen by the squad unless they ran past him down the ramp and onto the floor below. Total nightmare. They all survived - just - but then I found I couldn't get the movement thing to work properly at all because, like The Veteran, the game kept sending my soldiers to a ground floor tile underneath the first floor tile I had selected.This was an abductor mission too. I didn't have the problem with the roof displaying so I couldn't see my soldiers though - it just sent my soldiers to the ground floor when I selected first floor tiles to move to. Or just did nothing (presumably when there was no tile to move to under the first floor tile I selected). Very frustrating indeed so I had to stop.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but it's a very tedious problem and I'm not sure I can get round it for this mission. Also it stops me from playing iron man, which would be my preferred once I've learnt the game. Losing soldiers as a consequence of my own mistakes is bad enough, but losing them because of an interface problem really sucks Posted Image Posted Image

I've also had a muton soldier appear from nowhere right next to my troops that definitely wasn't there before, as described by The Veteran. No cut scene or group of three just pouf!

I also periodically have a mission where a killed enemy continues to show up as a red icon for one of the squad. Not a big deal that one.

I'm not very comfortable generally with the way the multi-levels are handled at the moment. I can't quite put my finger on the problem except that the interface feels vague somehow. It's pretty but I seem to spend quite a lot of time fiddling around trying to get the view I want and I often mess up when trying to send my soldier up a ladder and find they've run inside the building instead  Posted Image  I'm sure that's user error (unlike the multi-level ufo problem which definitely isn't.)

#26 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

You definitely have to take care moving soldiers. At times, the yellow/blue lines won't show up clearly, and it can be hard to tell whether you're about to dash or not. I've only once had a soldier move to the wrong level, but the moment I clicked I knew why; the mouse pointer was over the upper level, but close enough to the edge that the game thought I'd highlighted a tile below.

There's no definite cause known for the teleport bug, but I once had a squad of floaters appear amongst my men, then NEXT turn, another squad of floaters popped in too. By this time the zombies had also arrived through rather more conventional means (by zombie-standards, anyway - it's quite amusing to watch them jump off a roof and land on their head), and this being Impossible mode, I thought it time to reload a save. I backed my squad away from that area somewhat and didn't have any more such problems.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#27 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostMisotu, on 31 December 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

I finally got the game for Christmas and have played (ahem) a few hours now. Love it. But have hit a few problems.

The most upsetting is the problem already described with multiple levels where it displays one floor but sends the soldier to the floor below. Just had to quit a mission when my top assault girl ended up on the wrong floor, out of cover and in the middle of three mutons, with pretty disastrous consequences. But then it got weirder when I hurled the entire squad in after her. One of the mutons standing on a ramp between floors could not be seen by the squad unless they ran past him down the ramp and onto the floor below. Total nightmare. They all survived - just - but then I found I couldn't get the movement thing to work properly at all because, like The Veteran, the game kept sending my soldiers to a ground floor tile underneath the first floor tile I had selected.This was an abductor mission too. I didn't have the problem with the roof displaying so I couldn't see my soldiers though - it just sent my soldiers to the ground floor when I selected first floor tiles to move to. Or just did nothing (presumably when there was no tile to move to under the first floor tile I selected). Very frustrating indeed so I had to stop.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but it's a very tedious problem and I'm not sure I can get round it for this mission. Also it stops me from playing iron man, which would be my preferred once I've learnt the game. Losing soldiers as a consequence of my own mistakes is bad enough, but losing them because of an interface problem really sucks Posted Image Posted Image

May you enjoy the game as much as possible Posted Image

One of the patches fixed most of the problems with moving inside the Abductor. Before the patch it was a matter of being really carefully and using the camera commands to rotate the angle, which usually helps. The Line of Sight to me is a challenge - how to flush or get a shot to that alien sniping.

These can be really frustrating when playing Ironman but once you learn how to work around them - just take your time and let the game teach you how it wants to be played (am I mean it literally - once I started doing this on CI my games started being a lot more fun)

I've also had a muton soldier appear from nowhere right next to my troops that definitely wasn't there before, as described by The Veteran. No cut scene or group of three just pouf!

Most people call the AI teleporting activated aliens a bug. I call it a chalenge. What is happening is two different mechanics:
1) The teleporting of alien packs, either already activated or passive, or on patrol or sentry mode to speed up the game (although there are missions where you never see the AI doing it)
2) Activated aliens seem to be able to activate other packs on their own. Keep an eye on situations where a pack of 3 aliens is activated and 1 of them goes running away from your troops. That alien is going to try to call additional buddies and the AI may decide that they are too far away so it will teleport the running alien or any additional packs and once in a while you'll get 2/3 aliens being beamed directly on top of your troops with all the fun that ensues. Posted Image
3) Also, as Bomb Bloke described, sometimes the AI will throw at your soldiers  3 or 4 alien packs at the same time. Watch out!
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#28 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

It's one thing to teleport aliens around off-screen (though I'm not even happy with THAT idea), and it's one thing to drop them on the edge of my vision. Dropping them in the five tiles of space between my squadmembers is game breaking.

I assume what happens is that teleportation only kicks in when the path-finding routine has inspected a certain number of tiles and still hasn't found a route. Which wouldn't be so bad if it only allowed teleportation to places your units can't see. As it stands they can be dropped just anywhere, and usually they end up directly at their destination - your squad.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#29 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 01 January 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

It's one thing to teleport aliens around off-screen (though I'm not even happy with THAT idea), and it's one thing to drop them on the edge of my vision. Dropping them in the five tiles of space between my squadmembers is game breaking.

I assume what happens is that teleportation only kicks in when the path-finding routine has inspected a certain number of tiles and still hasn't found a route. Which wouldn't be so bad if it only allowed teleportation to places your units can't see. As it stands they can be dropped just anywhere, and usually they end up directly at their destination - your squad.

Which can be also a very strong argument to prevent players from camping on a specific map location and waiting for the aliens to reach them through a map bottleneck. Or least to make them be aware that further surprises may be in store.

I just think the game gets a lot more interesting with this rather than having all the aliens coming at you from a certain direction because of the unpredictability. I just had a game where 6 Mutons got activated at the same time, and on the next turn I realize I'm actually facing 2 more that the AI just decided to pop into the middle of the firefight, already activated.
It ended up badly for all the Mutons involved (I had 2 Heavies loaded with rockets ready for such a situation) but I got 1 critical wounded in the process and with the realization of how bad things would have gone if I hadn't decided to bring the 2nd Heavy... live and learn.

#30 Misotu

Misotu

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostHobbes, on 01 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

One of the patches fixed most of the problems with moving inside the Abductor. Before the patch it was a matter of being really carefully and using the camera commands to rotate the angle, which usually helps.

Yes, I saw some info on that after I'd posted, so that explains why I didn't get the problem with the roof. I loaded the game again today and had a really close look at it. It's not user error - it genuinely wouldn't let me move around properly but I found through trial and error (and a bit of desperation) that, as you've mentioned, rotating the view fixed the problem. Not exactly ideal but I'm also trying to remember not to mentally screen out the little blue line that traces the path the unit will take. It's a good indicator as to whether it will end up on the right floor  Posted Image  

The Line of Sight to me is a challenge - how to flush or get a shot to that alien sniping.

Yes, me too. I find it very difficult to see how to move a unit to get line of sight sometimes, especially over distance. Even with careful sizing up, I am a square out way too often. I think someone suggested some kind of line of sight indicator in the suggestions thread. I would quite like this - I'm not sure it adds to the fun if you really can't see whether you'll have line of sight or not when you've expended the first of your precious two moves ...

just take your time and let the game teach you how it wants to be played (am I mean it literally - once I started doing this on CI my games started being a lot more fun)

No problem with that - actually, I play very slowly indeed. I'm one of those people who like the tension but can't bear losing soldiers. Well ok, maybe the occasional rookie. But no-one else. Ever. Well, ok. Almost never ever. Probably never going to make Impossible Super-Hard Level Posted Image

Most people call the AI teleporting activated aliens a bug. I call it a chalenge.

Yes, I can see that view and actually I don't have a problem with the way they paradrop in from time to time. But the event I'm talking about is clearly a bug because it doesn't make sense in the terms of reference and feel of the game as I understand it so far. In the sense that you get a big fanfare all the time when they rush in - so suddenly seeing one muton appear from nowhere in order to stand plonk in front of your best gunslinger, doing nothing very threatening and then getting mown down, is a bit daft! I'd say that was a bug. The rest of it ... well, I don't know if I've played enough to know yet whether having groups of aliens drop in the middle of my carefully positioned squad adds to the excitement or makes me want to throw my mouse out of the window. Time will tell ...

I know about the aliens ganging up. Going through the spaceships is beginning to feel a bit like endless walking into bottleneck ambushes at the moment, so I'm trying various tactics to see how to sort it out. My latest involved a combination of scouting ahead from a side vantage point combined with nipping in and out down the centre to try to draw them out. Ha ha. Worked a treat for a bit and then suddenly they came at me with a sectopod, 2 drones, 3 particularly sprinty and bad-tempered chryssalids, 2 sectoids and an elite muton sharpshooter all at once. This was the turn after I had taken out a particularly sly and hunky muton backed up by an ethereal. It wasn't looking pretty, but I did land a rocket bang slap in the middle of the worst of them; the badly-damaged chryssalids took to the roof (er, they seemed to teleport through the roof to do it but hey, probably my rubbish eyesight) and then started jumping down on my troops looking ultra menacing in that determined way they have, reaction fire everywhere, balanced on a knife edge and ...

... the game crashed.

Ho hum. Now I'll never know exactly *how* bad that particular strategy was  Posted Image

#31 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostMisotu, on 02 January 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

... the game crashed.

Ho hum. Now I'll never know exactly *how* bad that particular strategy was  Posted Image

If you're playing Ironman crashes aren't a problem because the game is always autosaving. Otherwise that sucks :(

#32 Misotu

Misotu

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Wait. How does that work? I thought Ironman meant save only on exit? Posted Image I didn't think you got to save any other time?

Does it actually mean huge numbers of sensible, regular saves but you have to exit to desktop and go back in to load?

That sounds like a lot better option than my standard "oh damn I've sent my best sniper to certain death thanks to the cat leaping onto the keyboard at a critical moment, definitely time to reload oh no I haven't saved since the terror mission I did three hours ago" routine.  Terrible choice that. Replay three hours or lose your best sniper to a purring predator with a brain the size of a walnut.

#33 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostMisotu, on 02 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Wait. How does that work? I thought Ironman meant save only on exit? Posted Image I didn't think you got to save any other time?

Does it actually mean huge numbers of sensible, regular saves but you have to exit to desktop and go back in to load?

That sounds like a lot better option than my standard "oh damn I've sent my best sniper to certain death thanks to the cat leaping onto the keyboard at a critical moment, definitely time to reload oh no I haven't saved since the terror mission I did three hours ago" routine.  Terrible choice that. Replay three hours or lose your best sniper to a purring predator with a brain the size of a walnut.

Ironman is always saving automatically, you don't need to do anything about it but you only have your last save available. So if the cat jumps on the keyboard your Sniper is still going to be fried.

#34 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

If the sniper has only just been killed by your cat you can force the game to shut down before it autosaves. Technically breaking the intent of ironman but better than getting killed abnormally by a game bug, household pet or if the game stalls while its thinking.

Saves tend to be frequent in the base, at the start of missions and seem to be after certain turns in combat though not every turn.

-NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#35 Misotu

Misotu

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ah ok. Well that sounds all right actually, better than I thought. I might try it, because the reality is that in this hypothetical situation I'd lose the sniper rather than replaying three hours anyway ...

#36 RiceBawlZ

RiceBawlZ

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

OK is anyone else having issues with the game lately?
Mine is freezing often, and glitching out...

Everything was working fine  doing story mode,  and about half way through it started freezing mostly after missions. Or , after a mission it would get stuck on or freeze on the plane flying back...

And during cut scenes everything looks glitchy or "8 bit" like when u jammed a game into ur Nintendo and everything was different colors? And following cut scenes icons are usually three same way like troop flag,troop type,scan in mission control,etc..

I thought it was corrupt data, so I deleted it restored all files manually and reinstalled, and the issue is still present.  Can anyone help?

Note this is only in story mode, not multi player, not yet anyway.

#37 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Perhaps it is Minecraft week in XCOM? ;) I have no idea, don't have the game installed from before the dlc.

#38 RiceBawlZ

RiceBawlZ

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

And now its anytime I load... I can't do anything  can anyone help please?

View PostSpace Voyager, on 28 June 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Perhaps it is Minecraft week in XCOM? ;) I have no idea, don't have the game installed from before the dlc.

Well I just downloaded it about 2 weeks ago off the playstation store....

#39 sp1ke

sp1ke

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

Hi all. I have started playing as the price point dropped to £2.99 or so on a Steam weekend special. :-)

Bugs I have found, more or less in order of irritation value

- the screen is too dark for my dodgy eyes to see,  even with the gamma whacked up all the way
- auto scroll is way too sensitive making it impossible to target area fire accurately and just plain frustrating
- similar with the vertical scrolling as others have noted
- magnification gets too wide and the G and T keys don't work to return it to maximum magnification. Again this makes it hard to see what's going on
- very hard to find your own casualties on the map to stabilise them.
- similarly you can't switch to an agent who has used both actions, even though it would be useful to see the enemies they have spotted and also look out of their eyes
-doesn't seem to be a way to tilt the camera up or down though sometimes it does that by itself as you movemove the camera
- The Situation Room becomes unreachable by mouse sometimes, particularly when you have Ignored a mission to go sort out your soldiers before launch. But it still can be reached with arrow keys etc.
- similar issue with not being able to dismiss the current objective screen and so not being able to get back to the world clock thingy. This is quite annoying as it can take ten attempts to get back to the mission.  
- tells you that you don't have enough uplink capacity because it's forgetting to add on the adjacency bonuses
-doesn't always reset the roster to the most veterany agents if you have edited the roster. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I am missing a subtlety. Maybe it's a feature?
-no way to tell if you have line of sight until after your move - a faithful and authentic XCom feature :-)
-NKF obviously designed the pistol rules. Or bought the designers many beers. Pistols get SO much love in this game. (Also a feature rather than bug, arguably)
-Run and Gun doesn't work with the Arc gun. As at least one unlucky Assault agent found out to her butter cost. So yeah that's a feature not a bug too. Just a "surprise". But the game is full of surprises. :-)
- Parking Interceptors over a place has no noticeable effect on Panic. Contrary to the in-game help. So I guess that's flavour text, not a bug? :-)

Losing my favourite game... I am "spike" on UFOpaedia.org

#40 sp1ke

sp1ke

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

And now a word on baddies teleporting / spawning in the middle of your group. It's worth bearing  in mind that we can do this to the baddies so maybe the game is just being fair and even handed. You can walk one or two or all of your guys into the middle of the baddie pack and they just stand there like lemons, not reacting, because  it's not their turn". So though it seems to break the laws of physics when they do it to us, it's only in the same way that we break the laws of physics when we do it to them.

In original XCom, reaction fire does not always trigger even when it is reserved. I believe this game is the same though I may be wrong? I'm pretty sure I've seen agents on overwatch fail to react to something moving through their line of sight. And who's to say that the baddies in the middle of your pack did pass through the lines of sight of the agents who were left on overwatch? And no one can guarantee a pack was protected by a contiguous circular line of sight of overwatch, because the game never shows us its sight arcs, it only ever tells us after the event (movement) when we don't have a line of sight to a particular target or targets.
Losing my favourite game... I am "spike" on UFOpaedia.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users