Base Defense Crash

prune

Hey, I always seem to have a bug causing the game to crash frequently during base defenses. I'm quite well informed about X-com and its bugs, I currently use UFOExtender, XCOMUtil, combo patch and the AI patch from right here.

Here's a message I'm currently getting on a base defense:

XCOM crashed at 0x422483 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0936EA18.

Might it be to do with the item table limitations? I have very few items though, soldiers are numbering at no more than 14-15, so no real chance of the 40 soldier limit issue either, nor from aliens having too many via mind control, as I can kill a few and then this happens some time later.

This is my only annoyance at the game currently. Everything else is great.

Is there no way to disable a base defense if all else fails? Like just have the game auto-win it and proceed or somesuch.

Hmm, No I don't see any option unfortunately. Anyone who knows, it would be greatly appreciated if I can fix thix or get a workaround. It literally stops my game as I cannot get past that and they will attack regardless of reloading. The crash will happen in different turns and circumstances, I cannot pinpoint what is causing it at all.

Perhaps because I have the disjoint base bug fix from both ufoextender AND Xcomutil? What if i turn off the ufoextender one? I wouldn't think this would be an issue though as XCOMUtil allows the use of ufoextender and would thus surely take into account overlapping components?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Perhaps because I have the disjoint base bug fix from both ufoextender AND Xcomutil? What if i turn off the ufoextender one? I wouldn't think this would be an issue though as XCOMUtil allows the use of ufoextender and would thus surely take into account overlapping components?

Actually no. UFO Extender checks itself to ensure that two mods are not attempting to write to the same addresses. Neither program has any way to check what other mod packs are doing. If you have selected for both programs to fix the same issue, it could be a case of too many cooks... The error message seems to indicate that the program has attempted to access an invalid memory address in reference to a position in your base. Most likely the program has selected an invalid node for some reason. This could be due to the base disjoint fixes or it might be due to the construction queue mod, if you are using that.

Ok, will try disabling ufoextender's disjoint fix. I'm not using the queue component.

Edit: Didn't work. This is really frustrating. Has anyone else experienced such issues/error messages?

Actually, if I click ok on the error screen, i get a screen that says UFO recovered, and all those stats as though it was a mission! It kinda screws up the game. I get a ton of free stuff/random stuff including live aliens.

I guess you mean UFODefense.exe as opposed to RunXcom.bat? If so, that simply crashes my game before I even get to the menu. I can hear the opening cinematic but not see it. If I click to skip, it simply crashes (I hear the menu sounds for a few seconds, still a black screen like with cinematic and then it crashes).

Then I tried just UFOloader, and again it crashes in the mission with usual error message.

I can't really try just XCOMUtil, since extender is kind of incorporated into my savegame, that will certainly cause more issues if I suddenly rerun XCUSetup and tell it 'no I don't want to use Seb's extender'.

So, all in all. No progress, sadly.

I appreciate your help though btw, very much so.

Try this: download this alternate version of your base.dat file. rename the current one in your game1 folder. Extract the file into the game folder. Try the game. If successful, once you have successfully defended the base. Send me the base.dat file again and I'll alter it to match the current state of your base.dat with the updated inventory for the post-defense inventory. The file I am sending you is your current base minus all the current base facility construction you have in progress.

base-dat.zip

I'm taking a little break for the time being, have been struggling with that for some time. I appreciate your efforts and I'll post here whenever I do get the chance/willpower to go through that base defense again.

However, I do want to find some permanent solution, as base attacks will happen all the time, and this method would obviously be frustrating. I really appreciate your time though.

I understand. Although, I'm not suggesting this as a permanent solution but rather a temporary solution/troubleshooting step to isolate the cause of the problem. One other thing you might do is upgrade your UFO Extender to the latest version as I believe you have the last one that Seb released.

Well, I tried it, but no luck, same error. I just needed the base.dat file in right? Not the base.dat.bak aswell?

Just wanted to add an observation. When the crash happens, I just close the error message box, and the XCOMUtil dos window says 'updating research progress' press any key to continue, so I do. Next, it always says 'alien dies as there is no containment facility', then the report always has the same stats, like 4 xcom operatives lost (no mattter whether I actually lose more or less), and a score of 38. I can carry on the game as I said.

This happens on Jan 17th btw, hence why no containment facility.

I wonder if it is to do with the xcomutil option of using aliens captures for research? Hard to tell.

Perhaps I need a fresh install of everything, but I'd like to force a base attack to check what's up in that case before I get too far in and come across this again.

Well, I tried it, but no luck, same error. I just needed the base.dat file in right? Not the base.dat.bak aswell?

Just wanted to add an observation. When the crash happens, I just close the error message box, and the XCOMUtil dos window says 'updating research progress' press any key to continue, so I do. Next, it always says 'alien dies as there is no containment facility', then the report always has the same stats, like 4 xcom operatives lost (no mattter whether I actually lose more or less), and a score of 38. I can carry on the game as I said.

This happens on Jan 17th btw, hence why no containment facility.

I wonder if it is to do with the xcomutil option of using aliens captures for research? Hard to tell.

Perhaps I need a fresh install of everything, but I'd like to force a base attack to check what's up in that case before I get too far in and come across this again.

The .bak file is just the file before I edited it to take out the areas being built. If the crash still occurs then at least we know its not related to the base layout. You might try reinstalling XCOMutil and only selecting to use the most basic fixes and then try the saved game again, just as a troubleshooting step.

I copied your saved game into my EU folder and played it with no problems but I'm not using xcomutil.

I tried to play with just ufoextender, and the game crashes just the same (made a new install + ufoextender and used my save game).

Something to do with W7 64bit? Speaking of which, I cannot get BB's custom uniform mod to work either, it says it is incompatible with 64 bit OS. Just saw it in Jman's playthrough and was kicking myself I had missed it all this time, sadly that is another issue I now have. But not as major as this base defense problem!

Edit: And with just vanilla game, it still crashes, except no error message as above this time, just the usual windows message saying this program has stopped responding. Something is up for sure...

Edit 2: If someone could send me a base defense save game so I can try it in vanilla xcom even it would be good, that way I can know if it is just something wrong with any sort of base mission or what. I use ufo gold 1.4 if that makes a difference.

Edit 3: So, someone here seems to have had a similar issue, which was fixed for him by using compatibility mode, alas it did not work for me: https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242028800

My crashes also always happen on alien turns, and I get the feeling it may be to do with psionics/memory leak or somesuch. I'm really unsure what to do here, it sucks to not be able to play.

You know what, after spending ages just ending turn and seeing what happens, I got it to turn 24 or so and then the aliens won. I think the bug is sporadic and if I save at every turn I should, after however many reloads, be able to get through a base defence.

Would be nice if someone could mod the game to auto-win base defences, they can be quite tedious even without this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party, but this is probably the "base destruction" bug. Not terribly well known as it wasn't discovered all that long ago. You'll know if this is the case because the crash'll be happening when an alien fires (though you probably won't see the shot, because it won't be aimed at one of your units...).

It goes like this: In your base are specially marked objects. If all of these objects in a given module are destroyed, then at the end of the mission you lose that module (and any other modules that relied on it to reach the access lift).

At the beginning of battle, aliens choose a random base module and head for the upstairs area. Once there, any eligible tiles they see, they shoot. Usually this never happens - they spot your soldiers first and start fighting them. But if an alien is given some time alone and he doesn't know where any of your units are, he'll choose a random base module and start heading for the upstairs access where the blastable stuff is.

The reason why any of this matters is that, under CE/Windows, if an alien shoots any of those tiles it's an instant guaranteed crash. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. laugh.png

I'm not aware of any fixes for this, but there are a few workarounds.

The first is just to be aware that letting the aliens near the staircases of "important" modules is possibly going to result in a crash. Keep them occupied, bottle-neck your base so they can't get to those modules without killing all your soldiers first; just keep 'em away and you'll be fine. It's fairly easy to avoid the crash scenario if you know what's triggering it.

If you feel you can't afford to let certain bases get attacked, I did indeed write a tool that helps with that (though I didn't put it into my collated toolkit). It doesn't stop the aliens altogether, but it can delete battleships targeting your bases and also re-hide them so aliens have to locate them again before they can send more.

A slightly more technical approach is to disable the flag on the tiles that the aliens want to shoot by going into the files with MCDedit or somesuch. The aliens will still head for the upstairs rooms, but they won't fire and the game won't crash.

And of course, you can always just load the saved mission into the DOS version of the game and play it there.

I'd coded BBMod to work on 64-bit systems, but don't actually have such a system (or OS, at least) to test it on.

Hello, I apologize if this is off-topic, but I've been searching for a while and this discussion at least seems to be similar to what I'm experiencing.

I'm having compatibility issues with XcomUtil and UFOExtender, but eve just when trying to launch the game.

I'm getting the exact same problem as Doctoxic:

"this didn't work for me (win7/64 - steam version of UFO)

I installed the extender first and the game starts fine, i then go through the UTIL setup and it sees Extender is there Ok and i run through all the options no problem. However when i run the game using runxcom.bat the game now crashes with error "xcom has crashed.......trying to access......""

Specifically, the error I get when trying to run RunXcom.bat is

"XCOM Crashed at 0x45E6A5 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x000000"

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both XcomUtil and Xcom itself via Steam, to no avail.

On my initial install I opted for the "Run XcomUtil through Steam" or whatever it's called option during XcomUtilSetup, but when running it through steam it was obvious that while XcomUtil seemed to be working okay, UFOExtender was not active (I still had to select my language).

I've also tried matching the steps exactly for installing UFOExtenderand XcomUtil from the wiki.

I've spent the evening looking up threads like this one or others and starting from scratch following the instructions, but still it seems I can only get Xcom to run with either XcomUtil or UFOExtender, but not both, whether running the DOS or Windows versions, whether via RunXcom.bat or any of the .exes or through Steam.

I'm really excited to play this game, but after reading up on it I really don't want to start off with any of the bugs/glitches addressed by XcomUtil and UFOExtender. I'd really like some way, any way, to run these both together, and it seems others have been able to do this already.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and thanks already for all the effort put into these tools!

Going by the discussion starting here, it seems most likely that something in the Extender is somehow conflicting with something in XcomUtil. Beats me as to what, but try removing the Extender INI file and see if it still does it - if not, re-adding it and disable groups of options until you've narrowed down which one is causing the problem.

Going by the discussion starting here, it seems most likely that something in the Extender is somehow conflicting with something in XcomUtil. Beats me as to what, but try removing the Extender INI file and see if it still does it - if not, re-adding it and disable groups of options until you've narrowed down which one is causing the problem.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that out. I had seen on some other threads people mention various conflicts (both mods attempting to "fix the graphics", fix disjointed bases etc.) causing problems, so I tried to make sure there were no overlaps there, but haven't tried removing all of UFOExtender's video options yet.

The more hours I'm pouring into this though, the more I think I may just give up and use UFOExtender by itself. I think the only mods in XcomUtil that looked significant were the bugfixes on various map placements? It had a lot of options for modding weapons / vehicles but I don't want to make myself overpowered, just fix glitches / bugs.

Try this. Under the [Video section] set Skip Intro=0.

Aaaaaand that did it! Awesome, thank you so much! :D

I literally came home planning to just give up with XcomUtil, checked this, and it worked like a charm. Running RunXcom.bat now launches the game properly, and I fiddled with some options just to confirm that both XcomUtil and UFOExtender are both active.

...Now I just need to figure out why the Game Speed fix I applied only seems to work if I launch the game from UFOLoader.exe instead of RunXcom.bat (i.e. without XcomUtil)

Incidentally, I just noticed that you actually are where I used live a few years ago, and happen to visit frequently on business trips now. Weird :P