Strategy Core Members Reviews, Opinions, Rants & Raves.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Poll: Is This Version Better Than The Original? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Is This Version Better Than The Original?

1. Doesn't Even Come Close. (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

2. It's Close Enough to Brand It An XCOM Title (13 votes [37.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

3. The Equalizer (14 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Better Than The Original (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I've now completed the game. (I won't give any spoilers)

I've run into several bugs, (mainly camera issues) My system crashed to desktop only once or twice but was stable. There were several times either I or the interface, my guess is the place makers cost me several rookies. I must insist if you are playing this game on a PC to USE the Q&E Keys or whatever binding you've set it to. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Overall I enjoyed this game and if I had to rate it 1-5, 5 being the highest I'd give it a 3 1/2. Until the bugs are fixed it will remain a 3 1/2.

So now I'm going to try something slightly INSANE! I am going to attempt to play a run through with...get this...
Difficulty - Impossible, Iron Man enabled, Autosaves OFF, & the zinger, I will not upgrade my squad. That's right folks; I'm going to attempt this feat with a 4 man squad.
(By upgrading I mean of course paying the money to expand my squad size, I don't mean upgrade the soldiers skill/perks that would be just stupid.) Wish me Luck.

"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#22 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

A bit of warrning - on Impossible you lose 3 bars in abductions. There are 50% more aliens than in Classic. So yeah I will not wish you luck because you are just plain suicidal. Oh and of course you start with 5 engineers so it is most impossbile to build satleites in first month to reduce panic.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

1st Update:

I didn't use the tutorial for my new run-through. Have a team of two snipers, one assault and one support. I stared transitioning a sniper for a rookie each mission to allow promotions. Death count now is 5 rookies, 2 squaddies and 1 corp. It's very difficult, BUT if anyone of you has tried out my technique with sending the rookies first into the fog of war and have everyone else in "overwatch" you'll do just fine. BTW, having the rookie wear the best armor and grenades is also a good idea.

#24 Mero

Mero

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Voted equalizer, some things are better, some things are missing, but since i already have like 15+ hours of gametime on it since friday evening it does most of the things right. and thats more than i can say about my gameplay.. 8th game started on classic ironman, i refuse to play any other way. even if i get wiped out. first game i lasted 3 missions :P

Currently running 2 snipers with squad sight 2 support and 2 assaults. old school snipes in the back with archangel and plasma. they kill verything. always the 2nd highest in rank and the lowest in rank.

#25 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Assault troops are awful, replace them with Heavies and you'll find dealing with the tough enemies MUCH easier later in the game...
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#26 FireWarrior

FireWarrior

Unsane Psyker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Interestingly, my biggest gripe with the game has nothing to do with the gameplay, but the developers. The game does not inherently support Windows XP, however it took the community less than 3 days to find a fix. A simple emulator-thing that changes how the game loads (from a Vista-specific load system, to an XP-compatible one), which apparently exists as a free add-on or something to Microsoft Studio allows for the game to work.
Considering that was done by a fan in 3 or 4 days, I have a hard time coming up with a justified reason for the devs not including this, by all accounts, extremely simple fix to get the game working in WinXP.

And please, someone create a mod that allows for multiple deployments. An elite world-saving combat unit with only one vehicle for deployment is just utterly and completely illogical.

What I find interesting though, is that they actually seem to have a created a balance with the classes. A tag-team of 2 Assaults with the right perks is an absolute powerhouse and 2 snipers with squad sight will dominate as well, it's all in how you play.

#27 Mero

Mero

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostThe Veteran, on 15 October 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Assault troops are awful, replace them with Heavies and you'll find dealing with the tough enemies MUCH easier later in the game...

Tried that, but i really like "run and gun" and "lightning reflexes" my snipers do 90% of the killing anyway

#28 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Now I wouldn't go that far, assaults are very useful but have to be used correctly. Like you I use heavies as my front line assault troops, the assault class are my flankers. If you use heavies to blast away cover and suppress aliens, you can then bring your assault up with run&gun to flank exposed aliens and take them out. You need to give them the best armour you can (including vests etc) as they do draw a lot of fire, so getting them levelled can be a challenge without getting them killed, but once they reach "major" you should have a veritable walking death machine at your disposal. The ability to reaction fire at anything 4 squares or closer without being in overwater is a massive ability. Just remember to reload rather than go into overwatch!

And FireWarrior, not even Microsoft support XP any more.  Moaning that a developer hasn't supported it either seems a bit harsh?

#29 FireWarrior

FireWarrior

Unsane Psyker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

It's not so much moaning, more perplexing. If it takes one man, with no knowledge of the sourcecode a few days, I don't get the logic behind not fixing. Surely spending a day making it playable for more OS's will be made back in sales easily (or failing that, fan goodwill if they make an announcement out of it).

I only bought it after verifying that the fix worked on the demo anyways (had simply chosen to ignore it, no point in wasting time on a game that don't work on your system), so it was never a big deal. More disappointing is the utter lack of empathy shown by the gaming community if you aren't using 7. Some of us are old enough to have an interest in the non Win7 classics you know.

#30 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yup, I was annoyed when things started getting released for Vista and above but it's just progress mate. The reason for it is obviously down to the amount of extra time and money the developers would've had to put into the game in order to ensure it runs smoothly on another OS. You might say 'yeah but the fans have already fixed it' but have the fans also carried out extensive QA into the game running on XP? I doubt it... Given that QA of the game is not one of it's strong points in the first place, I'm REALLY pleased they didn't try and please everyone by just slapping it onto any OS people asked for. XP is still the best Windows in my opinion but it's just dated now so you need to upgrade if you want to keep gaming. You know you can't have DX11 on XP either right? Skip Vista, it's a pile of crap, 7 isn't all that bad though Posted Image

Again with assault troops, only time I ever used them was at the very start of the game befor eI had a strategy of any kind and in the alien base mission as I thought it would be more enclosed than it was. I agree run n gun is a nice skill but I just find they have to put themselves in way too much danger to be useful to the squad. Personally, I think I'm doing pretty badly if enemies are within 4 squares of me Posted Image could be great on a Chryssalid encounter though!

As an ender... How many people have taken on the battleship? Need I say more :s

View PostFireWarrior, on 15 October 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Some of us are old enough to have an interest in the non Win7 classics you know.

Umm... We ALL are mate... That's why we were excited about this game...

Besides if you've known for months that XP wouldn't run this game why not just upgrade? To me, the fact that you'd rather never play the game than get a much needed upgrade is kind of ridiculous...

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#31 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

The reason not to support XP is that in a few weeks it will be 4 versions and 11 years old. I know there are a lot of people who still have it, but honestly you have to draw the line somewhere.

It's also probable (but purely speculation) that if the boxed version has a Windows logo on it that one of Microsoft's requirements is that devs ditch old platforms. They're all about trying to get devs to keep up with the times nowadays, certainly with Internet Explorer so I imaging the same is true of Windows.

It's good that there's an easy solution though.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#32 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

FireWarrior

If you are interested in non windows7 classics then go and get stuck into www.gog.com Loads of old games on there that fog do all the hard work making emulators for.

I see your point but XP hasn't been retailed now for about 6 years. After a point you really should be upgrading and windows 7 is actually quite good. Judging from the hash they are making of windows 8 I would imagine its going to be the standard for a good couple of years yet.

#33 Mero

Mero

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

XP is also no longer supported by MS as well.

As far as assault goes, i'll try the heavies again tonight. no big loss if they die anyway, since the snipers are the backbone of my squads :D

#34 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

I went from XP straight to W7, I had the chance to get Vista. Heh, but seeing it over at a friends place I couldn't help but think to myself "Demo". Anyway Assault units are pretty kick ass when you get the stealth armour. Stealth + Xtra running + Arc = one crafty bastard.

#35 FireWarrior

FireWarrior

Unsane Psyker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Because Win7 costs money. Quite a bit of it here in Denmark. And if I want to still be able to play my older games I'd need to run a dual-boot system, which means more expenses for another HDD.
My PC isn't strong enough for Win7 to be a "much-needed upgrade" either as I would have to spend further on hardware to get any sort of benefit performance-wise.
As an example, the cheapest upgrade here in Denmark, is actually the english version from amazon. Most editions run up to 200$ or more due to taxes (due to issues with my XP key I can't use the Upgrade options). That's a big investment for a single game, even if the game made use of DX10 or 11. (Un)fortunately, it doesn't, the only thing is a vista-enabled ID load system (haven't looked into it enough to give a proper explanation, apologies), so not going for that little bit extra compatibility just seems odd to me.

Had the game made use of DX10 or 11 for it's graphics or had a need for more than 3.33GB of ram, then I can see a case for not bothering with XP, but that is clearly not the case. The game works absolutely perfect on XP, all it takes are a few custom-made DLLs and 5min in a HEX editor for the the .exe file to make it use the new DLLs.

And Veteran, I have already seen (and talked to) several people whose sole experience with X-Com is from Youtube and yet still whine that "it's not as good as the original". Just the nature of the interwebz I guess, apologies to Sorbi if I sound a little annoyed on that account.

#36 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

I felled from my chair laughing too much... the strongest soldier next to sniper is awful...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#37 Sorbicol

Sorbicol

Reticulan Scurge!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Firewarrior

No problem here :) Sorry to here that getting hold of an affordable copy of windows is such an issue in Denmark though, I had no idea. You are right it is an investment for a single game.

I love this new game entirely on its own merits. You can't really compare it to the original other than in the feel of the game and its atmosphere, which I think Firaxis have nailed. The combat and strategic levels are completely different though, I know they have simplified the inventory and weapon systems in the new game, but I don't feel that has taken away from any of the tactical complexity of the game

#38 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 15 October 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I felled from my chair laughing too much... the strongest soldier next to sniper is awful...

Meh you think what you like and I'll think what I like... I have a few assault troopers on my roster but none of them have recieved more than a few promotions and they're virtually NEVER used in missions. The best way to stay alive in this game is to engage enemies at the longest range possible while in the best cover available. Assault troops really don't do either of those things very well and while it's true they're deadly at close range, do ou really want to risk flanking enemies when there's a possibility it could reveal another group of aliens just round the corner? The life expectancy of assault troopers has got to be the lowest in the game and, for that reason, I'm out...

#39 StVier

StVier

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I like my Assault soldiers too, nothing beats 100% to hit with a shotgun to the back of an alien... except maybe two consecutive 75% shots for the more pesky ones.

In any case, I wished I had Heavies. 6 months in and still no Heavies among the promotions, except for 1 that's been bugged in 'Wounded' status for more than 4 months. Posted Image

#40 FireWarrior

FireWarrior

Unsane Psyker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Veteran, you can equip Assault troopers with rifles instead of shotguns, helps alot with range if that is the main hurdle. Get one up to Lieutenant rank and get Flush or Rapid Fire, they are amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)