Geoscape or what? Name for XCOM's strategic part

Hobbes

Hello everyone,

I've been having an argument with a user on the UFOPaedia regarding the table for EU2012 and I thought it would be better to enlarge the discussion.

The user's point is that both the strategic layer and the base management of the new game should be in the same column (as opposed to the wiki's format for UFO, TFTD and Apoc) and named 'XCOM HQ', since now the strategic layer is managed from the Mission Control and Situation Room facilities at the XCOM HQ.

The current wiki table format is to have the strategic layer and base management separated into different subcolumns, each with their own titles, to emphasize the difference between both - base management is a very important part of the strategic layer and what occupies the most time, but launching interceptions and missions, increasing coverage and funding are as equally important to win the game - that's why so much time is spent on the base(s).

The current name being used on the table for the strategic layer is 'Geoscape' but the term isn't present on the new game, even though the developers have used it and there's a World globe where you advance the action and watch your craft and satellite on missions. I've placed the question on the 2K forums about what name they used for the strategic layer and the answers I got from users were "Geoscape", "Strategic Layer", "The Base" or "Ant Farm".

So I have two questions:

1) Should both the base management and strategic layer be presented together on the EU2012 table?

2) What name should be given to the strategic layer on either choice?

I'm waiting to get the retail version of the game before making any sort of decision (or join in with most of the discussion), but just to be unoriginal and boring, I dub thee the Basescape! We did that with Apocalypse's Cityscape, so why break a working formula? grin.gif

Just jesting. Mainly I just wanted to say there's no point getting hot and bothered about it just yet. We can iron things out as we go along like we always have.

- NKF

I'm waiting to get the retail version of the game before making any sort of decision (or join in with most of the discussion), but just to be unoriginal and boring, I dub thee the Basescape! We did that with Apocalypse's Cityscape, so why break a working formula? grin.gif

Basescape is probably the best one I've heard yet :P Just joking ;)

Just jesting. Mainly I just wanted to say there's no point getting hot and bothered about it just yet. We can iron things out as we go along like we always have.

- NKF

Yeah, it actually feels great to have a new XCOM game coming out. I'm starting to plan what I'll do exactly on the 12th (and the remainder of the month) :D