About overpowered Psionics matter...

seth

Hi, I've searched about this matter a bit on the net and for what I could read no one has come to a solution for balancing this feature. If I am wrong could you point me to a mod or something like that? I have already installed and configured Xcomutil and UFO Extender and I think I ended up with a good config, so it should be something compatible with them.

However, I have tried to do something by myself changing a couple of things.

First I used UFO Extender to lower the Psi Skill cap to 1 (yes, one!).

To my knowledge, this cap is only checked whne you train this skill in combat, so lowering the cap should totally stop skill increments in combat, devolving them only to Psi Lab training. It may seem not right, but it should balance things a bit (meaning it would take more to max out the skill).

Second thing, I raised the TUs used by the Psi Amp (this with UFO Mod by hatfarm) from 50% to 80%, so I'm sure I can only use it once per turn and I'm not able to do much else.

A good thing to do would be to stop Psi Lab to train soldiers after a certain Psi Skill level, and even lower Psi Strenght cap a bit (the latter can't be changed with UFO Ext, I wonder why), but I didn't find a clue about how to do it.

I have yet to test this all but what do you think? Any other ideas? Thanks.

As for los, I forgot to mention that UFO Ext has such a option activateable, but I don't really know how it actually works (theorically it should make los a requirement for each soldier to use Psi Amp).

You can choose to make Mind Control, Panic, or the Mind Probe require line of sight. Aliens are not affected. If you need more information check out the UFO extender information page by following the link in my signature.

You can choose to make Mind Control, Panic, or the Mind Probe require line of sight. Aliens are not affected. If you need more information check out the UFO extender information page by following the link in my signature.

It works perfectly, at least for mind probe. Not played too much in this days to see Psi Amp. However, this plus only one action per turn with the Psi Amp and not be able to increase Psi skill on mission should make psionics at least not too overpowered. If someone else wants to try this too...