XCOM: Enemy Unknown section on UFOPaedia.org

Hobbes

Hello all,

We have started the section for the new game at the wiki and it's going well. The release of the demo uncovered a ton of information on its files, although people shouldn't look there if they don't want spoilers. ;)

Anyways, what I'd like to do would be to announce on October 9th/12th (the game release) the official opening of the EU section of the UFOPaedia on all XCOM forums (as part of a worldwide collaboration to defeat the new alien invasion... something like that).

And I'd like to have a basic page structure set up by then. There's a ton of work involved required:

* Templates for Units, Weapons/Equipment, Missions, Aliens, UFOs, Facilities, SHIV, Craft Armaments, Research Topics, Engineering Projects, etc. etc. etc.

* Info on Difficulty levels and how they reflect on Funding, Stats, etc. etc.

* Finances

* Base design

* And a ton more

All of this can be extracted from the demo, so I'm asking if anyone wants to give a hand until the 9th/12th it would be appreciated.

I understand that people don't want to get their hands dirty with spoilers before the game is released but I've I already know roughly how to win the game end and I've been 'censoring' the information I take out of the demo and place on the wiki, so you should be safe if you don't look at the demo files.

Can I suggest that in the same "spreading the news" venture that I set up a section in our Files system for mods/tools/tweaks and that that gets a mention, as well as our dedicated forum?

Just thinking it would be good to push both in one go as a joint venture :)

Can I suggest that in the same "spreading the news" venture that I set up a section in our Files system for mods/tools/tweaks and that that gets a mention, as well as our dedicated forum?

Just thinking it would be good to push both in one go as a joint venture smile.png

Lovely idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hobbes - something like this that sounds like it's from a personal POV:

As part of the ongoing struggle to rid the earth of the alien threat, I'd like to introduce several useful resources:
  • UFOpaedia.org - your guide to the source of XCOM game mechanics (or something, someone can think of a more accurate description for those that don't already know the site, plus for the new section I guess you don't want to over-sell the content if there's not a lot there for the new game yet)
  • StrategyCore.co.uk - a community of X-COM fans and stalwart supporters of all things X-COM since 2001 - send them your mods and patches

I dunno, I'm not in a creative mood this morning at all, but if we can work out something reasonably short and post it in various places that would be grand. The trick is to abide by each site's rules so it needs to not come across as advertising as much as it is a recommendation (albeit a pre-planned one, oh the joys of trading carefully and trying to do "the right thing").

Something like that would be fine, yes, as long as you put StrategyCore.co.uk and not .org wink.png

Sorry about that.

Meanwhile you probably could announce it yourself at the 2K Pete since there was an announcement made 7 hours ago by the responsible for Nexus gaming community that they've just opened a new section for Enemy Unknown and it didn't got removed by the moderators. The thing is, any news there will quickly be lost on the flood of new threads.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone could edit the difficulty page:

Classic description: "You do not start with a extra satellite " - that is wrong if you enable tutorial. You are given free satellite by the council. Can't say how tutorial behaves on easier settings.

Unchecked activity (abudction) will always cause 2 bar increase in panic. Also don't know if it applies to earlier settings. If panic is level 5 and you fail terror mission - the country immediately withdraws from project.

On impossible difficulty it is always 3 panic.

About impossible Africa start - I think you start with something between 300 and 350

Someone could edit the difficulty page:

Classic description: "You do not start with a extra satellite " - that is wrong if you enable tutorial. You are given free satellite by the council. Can't say how tutorial behaves on easier settings.

Unchecked activity (abudction) will always cause 2 bar increase in panic. Also don't know if it applies to earlier settings. If panic is level 5 and you fail terror mission - the country immediately withdraws from project.

On impossible difficulty it is always 3 panic.

About impossible Africa start - I think you start with something between 300 and 350

I can do it, but why don't you try editing yourself? ;)