UFO Extender 1.28

Tycho

One improvement and a change to default settings:

• Updated ClipCursor function: It should now work with with new versions of Windows and handle various window dimensions and locations on the screen. Dual monitor configurations has not been tested.
  • Changed default video settings to windowed D3D since many new users are playing on new systems which seem to need D3D. Veteran users of Extender are familiar with altering the INI to their needs.

update:

released a patch to correct some reported problems with the Clip Cursor function causing video glitches on Windows 7. Latest patch is 1.28.3 You'll need to have a full version of the extender to use this patch.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=UFOextender

Edited by Tycho

Kickass! I was hoping the clip-cursor improvements would find their way over to UFOExtender.

Thanks Tycho!

[EDIT]

Came across a weird bug. After installing the new version, the gun icon in the battlescape menu doesn't seem to display correctly. It's a little hard to describe, it kind of flickers in and out of existence at the end of any time-unit consuming move (like shooting or turning). I've attached a picture and my .ini settings. One of the settings might be is the cause of the weirdness, but I've enabled quite a few so I'm not which one is causing it if any it's clip cursor. If you have it enabled in either fullscreen or windowed mode, it makes weapon icons sort of bug out. I thought at first that there was some conflict with files from older versions of the mod or a corrupted save file, but I see the same behavior even on fresh installs/games.

Invisible gun.zip

Edited by JurassicUtility

You can now set it to 1 (tactical only) or 2 (constant). There is more explaination on the Ufopaedia page.

It seems I'm going to have to find a different way to insert the code into EU vs TFTD. This just show how the same routines have been changed between the two games.

You can now set it to 1 (tactical only) or 2 (constant). There is more explaination on the Ufopaedia page.

It seems I'm going to have to find a different way to insert the code into EU vs TFTD. This just show how the same routines have been changed between the two games.

Sounds like you might already have the information you need, but I just wanted to clarify that the crash I mentioned in the last post was from setting clip cursor to "2" for UFOExtender and not TFDExtender (it works exactly as it's supposed to in TFD).

Something I forgot to mention before - on crashing I get an error message that says: "Trying to patch the same place twice (0x00440831, 0x00440831) Send this error to the author to have it fixed". Hope that helps.

Sounds like you might already have the information you need, but I just wanted to clarify that the crash I mentioned in the last post was from setting clip cursor to "2" for UFOExtender and not TFDExtender (it works exactly as it's supposed to in TFD).

Something I forgot to mention before - on crashing I get an error message that says: "Trying to patch the same place twice (0x00440831, 0x00440831) Send this error to the author to have it fixed". Hope that helps.

Thanks, Jurrasic. That information will be really useful once I get the chance to look over the code. I'm using XP and I don't get any of the problems that people have reported.

Clip cursor (both modes) seem to be working for me now, but I've observed some new bugs.

The first is that at the start of any mission (before making a move) objects will not cast light. Once a move is made, the light sources around your soldiers and other objects will return. The file I attached will have examples of this effect in a night mission and a day mission (the one for the day mission is kind of subtle, look at the soldiers' feet). There's also save files of the missions I took the pictures from (saves 8 and 9). The same thing happens in windowed and fullscreen, regardless of whether clip cursor is on or off.

The second thing might not be related to the most recent changes. I've had it happen in both the latest patch and the second to latest.

Basically, I have a save where an alien is standing by the doorway of a barn. When I try to blow up the alien and the wall it's standing next to, the game will 100% of time crash with the following message: "XCOM crashed at 0x100279A9 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0000001B". I thought this might have something to do with explosions that spill over the edge of the map, but I haven't been able to reproduce this in a new game. This might honestly be a corrupted save, but I wanted to see what you made of that if anything. There's a picture of the wall that causes the crash, and a save file of that mission (save number 7).

Thank you for the effort you put into trying to improve the Extender mods Tycho. I'm always surprised at how quickly you come up with patches and tweaks to the mods.

Light Issues.zip

Are the problems with light associated with any particular mod, especially Clip Cursor? What happens if you turn off everything but the video options needed to play?

Thank you for the effort you put into trying to improve the Extender mods Tycho. I'm always surprised at how quickly you come up with patches and tweaks to the mods.

It's really a matter of only changing a few things at a time but thanks for your support and feedback! :)

Are the problems with light associated with any particular mod, especially Clip Cursor? What happens if you turn off everything but the video options needed to play?

Looks like I was mistaken when I said the light issue occurred with clip cursor on and off. It definitely happens when clip cursor is set to either 1 or 2. I tried turning off all of the options except for the video ones like you said, but light still behaved the same way as I described before. I also tested all of the clip cursor options in windowed 480x600, 600x800 and fullscreen 1680x1050. The results were that light would always appear normally when "clip cursor=0", but would disappear when set 1 or 2.

I did notice something interesting though. If you happen to land in sight of an alien UFO on that first turn, the UFO tiles will still cast light.

The second thing might not be related to the most recent changes. I've had it happen in both the latest patch and the second to latest.

Basically, I have a save where an alien is standing by the doorway of a barn. When I try to blow up the alien and the wall it's standing next to, the game will 100% of time crash with the following message: "XCOM crashed at 0x100279A9 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0000001B". I thought this might have something to do with explosions that spill over the edge of the map, but I haven't been able to reproduce this in a new game. This might honestly be a corrupted save, but I wanted to see what you made of that if anything. There's a picture of the wall that causes the crash, and a save file of that mission (save number 7).

This crash is stemming from the "stunned units KIA" mod.

I'll need to look at the no lights in battlescape longer. Strange that it doesn't happen in my game under XP.

OK. All this was my bad. I update the function call in the lock cursor routine but forgot to change the location where the lockcursor was being called. This meant that the mod was skipping the routine which sets the lighting for the map at the start of a battle.

This should fix both the lighting and the error with the "unconscious units KIA", which was due to some leftover code I tried as I was fixing the problems with TFTD and experimented with it in UFO as well..

update: Follow the link in my signature to download the latest patch and get all the information about UFO and TFTD Extender.

Thanks for everyone's support!

Edited by Tycho

Oh! I didn't know someone else was still updating UFO Extender, I was still using Seb76 version :P Thank you for the new releases, even if I'm a bit late.

A question: why we can't modify Psi Strenght cap? Is it for "technical" problems or something?

Ok, I'll try something else, even though if you are referring to savegame editors I don't know if they are of any use to do wnat I want to do. However it's not that important though, I just wondered if it could be done through UFO Extender. Thanks anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Totally new to these forums and modding X-Com in general, but I am a C++ developer by profession. Thanks for everyone's time and incredible effort to make this mod, I love it!

I ran across a nasty graphical bug within the battlescape that I can't seem to get rid of. I run the same setup from both a laptop with integrated graphics (no glitch) and my home PC for gaming (glitch occurs). The installs are exactly the same, right down to the save games(Google Drive keeps both in sync).

Here is a screenshot of the glitch:

https://i46.tinypic.com/21916hu.jpg

Do you get any error messages? If so, please post the entire message. Also, are you using 1.28 of the extender? What OS do you have? Any other mods installed?

An error message pops up saying something about acessing a certain memory location. I'll post the entire message next time I get it. No other mods installed, latest version and Windows 7 x64.

Interestingly enough, I'm getting the same issue with TFTD.

Problem with selection box on battlescape and ground tiles slightly flicking during npc movement... used last ver of extender from ufopaedia.

win 7 x64
geforce 670 gtx
nvidia drivers 306.23

[Video]
Video Pitch=1
HQ4x=1
D3D=1
D3D Windowed=0
Always On Top=0
Clip Cursor=1
Scale Mouse=1
Screen Ratio=1.1111
Max FPS=70
CPU Mask=0
High Priority=0
Force Language=1
Skip Intro=1
D3D Window Position=0 0 1080 1920

p.s tried with only D3D or only HQ4x.. same thing.

p.p.s btw.. is it possible to fix unsupported russian translation? :s i know y shouldn't worry about it.. but nobody to ask to look this.. for example now where text "All your bases belong to us!" in it some random letters set, i mean make untranslated new strings at least on english maybe.. also no way to call bases with eng names.. i attached this translation to post... rename file to .exe if y wana check it.

https://i47.tinypic.com/o0z5hc.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/eqb91l.jpg

xcom_win_rus.rar

An error message pops up saying something about acessing a certain memory location. I'll post the entire message next time I get it. No other mods installed, latest version and Windows 7 x64.

Interestingly enough, I'm getting the same issue with TFTD.

Since I haven't touched the code for this other than to changed the offsets for TFTD, I would expect the problem to be common to both. The error message will help me locate the issue a lot faster.

Problem with selection box on battlescape and ground tiles slightly flicking during npc movement... used last ver of extender from ufopaedia.

win 7 x64
geforce 670 gtx
nvidia drivers 306.23

[Video]
Video Pitch=1
HQ4x=1
D3D=1
D3D Windowed=0
Always On Top=0
Clip Cursor=1
Scale Mouse=1
Screen Ratio=1.1111
Max FPS=70
CPU Mask=0
High Priority=0
Force Language=1
Skip Intro=1
D3D Window Position=0 0 1080 1920

p.s tried with only D3D or only HQ4x.. same thing.

p.p.s btw.. is it possible to fix unsupported russian translation? :s i know y shouldn't worry about it.. but nobody to ask to look this.. for example now where text "All your bases belong to us!" in it some random letters set, i mean make untranslated new strings at least on english maybe.. also no way to call bases with eng names.. i attached this translation to post... rename file to .exe if y wana check it.

Have you tried setting the option for Animation Speed under [bug Fixes] in the INI?

Sorry, I have no idea about the Russian translation..You might check the Russian language sections on UFOpaedia to see if someone there might know who to ask.