No easily read/navigated guide?

Strokend

All of the guides here seem to be done way too unpacked, or too confusingly.

I think a single thread from a single guide writer should be all that's needed, stating which game(s) it's for, as well as listing links to downloads that aren't hosted on temporary sites where they'll die in a few months.

This would work in one thread because the posts could be edited to link to the later posts, allowing a table of contents to easily direct you to where you left off, or are having trouble at.

I'm asking for all of this because, from the looks of it, the modding guides link to dead downloads, and the insane level of searching for the tools on this site result in finding that they're for a game I don't even have, instead of UFO:AL. Additionally, navigating an out of order chapter list is frustrating and I'd rather go to post one for the contents that link to the right post in the same therad. Can anybody help me out here? Can't mod a thing if I don't get help.

for modding, the tool you always need a VFS file packer/unpacker, and those seem to be the same for all 3 versions of the UFO After... games. I think there are several of those to choose from, and i can verify that Sigget's VFSTool has worked fine for me for all 3 games (though it is a DOS command mode interface)

beyond that, what you need depends on what you want to mod, the only things i've done have been text file based edits.