UFO 2007 Progress

Pete

The guys over at the UFO 2007 project are making amazing progress!

They've been modelling like crazy, producing some high resolution and very high quality models to work with in the production of their game and now they've released a music track from their geoscape screen!

For those of you who haven't heard it, grab it here: Geoscape-v00.zip and if you've not seen the modelling work then check out the images in this thread.

Time to get excited, even if it is three years away :D

https://www.x-com.co.uk/pages/news/ufo.jpghttps://www.x-com.co.uk/pages/news/troopcarrier.jpghttps://www.x-com.co.uk/pages/news/ufoorbital.jpg

Indeed, as with all models though, the polygon count is likely to be much lower in the actual game, although I'm sure that with today's technology they'll still look fantastic.

...Unless these are in-game models? :D

Bear in mind also that the last image on the right is apparently not sporting the final texture.

Indeed - they're not new ones. I just thought I'd post something in the dusty news section that occasionally people must be looking at as the thread itself is usually fairly obscured by the mountain of other posts in it's particular section.

Hello friends. Sorry for long delay - I had a lot of work and few free time. ;)

So...

Pete say: Indeed, as with all models though, the polygon count is likely to be much lower in the actual game, although I'm sure that with today's technology they'll still look fantastic.

In first, I want to pay your attention to that that at the given stage it only technical renders from 3d-modelling programm.

At the given stage these pictures allow us to answer many questions: algorithms of work of the graphics engine; algorithms of illumination; algorithms and rules of work of generators of a landscape; algorithms of displaying of "covering" objects and much another.

Besides these pictures are given evident representation with what by we wish to see a tactical mode of our game.

Pete say: Unless these are in-game models?

Yes, majority of models, which you see in preliminary renders, you can see in game.

The high-resolution models with large quantity of poligons will be used for creation of pictures and animations for the UFO-pedia.

Low-poligon's optimized variants of models will be used directly in game.

I want to notice that that it only insignificant part of that quantity of objects with which gamer will meet in game environment.

Good luck. 1101 :D

Thank you for the reply, 1101.

I was just wondering, has anyone tried to estimate the size of these UFOs? My estimate from human hight (which IMO would be app. 2 meters in all that armour) is that the human aircraft's length and width are both around 10 meters, so the UFOs are around 60 meters in diameter.

I've checked the site and there are is no metrical data for the UFOs. 1101 definitely knows them, so if you check this thread again... :)

A question: are these the largest UFOs or is there any larger model as well? :D

EDIT: Copy-paste from the site:

2.9. Locations in the game.

Locations in game are generated randomly, according to hierarchy of locations levels (the exception are the locations which were generated at the beginning of the game, and locations which are the elements of quest's chains). It is assumed that the maps would be large (up to 5е5 km and probably more), locations would be multi level (up to 30 levels at a vertical), and parametrical objects would be actively used at the landscape units construction.

Here is the the hierarchy of levels locations as it exists at the very moment:

1. Planetary system.

2. Planet inside planetary system.

3. Territorial-climatic zones on a planet.

4. Locations inside a territorial-climatic zone (for example: city, military base, oilfield, area of a taiga etc.).

5. Sublevels inside certain locations (for example: a hangar, landing strip, filling station, supermarket etc.)

6. Landscape units (it is not a level of hierarchy in common sense).

The landscapes generator builds locations and their filling based on algorithms of work with parametrical objects and supplements it by some amount of not parametrical objects (vehicles, weapon, etc., e.g. all that cannot be described as the parameters setting but could be described as the set of the tips coordinates and the set of applicable textures coordinates).

:dead: THIS IS HUUGE! How much time is predicted one mission would last?

Don't wish to be a nag, but could you please change all of the "spice" into "species"? Spice is a herb used in cooking...

P.S.: If the game is done as the dokument I copy-pasted from describes, I'm definitely buying it... ;)

I've checked the site and there are is no metrical data for the UFOs. 1101 definitely knows them, so if you check this thread again...  ;)

Hello.

Sizes (height-length-width)...

Nillarit's craft: 18-53-72 meters

Iredluh's craft: 14-57-78 meters

Sectoid's craft: 15-73-73 meters

On a site are submitted the ships of an average type. Except for them there will be ships of the greater and smaller sizes.

Good luck. 1101 :D

• 2 weeks later...