Aquatoid Sushi and Lobsterburger

Grossbeer

Here we go:

a Hotseat Multiplayer Terror from the Deep Superhuman Iron man campaign.

participating Commanders (playing in that order):

---> indicates the next palyer to take action

Commander | Number of Missions

Grossbeer | 6

Bomb Bloke | 6

NKF | 6

--->The Veteran | 5

Crazy Photon | 5

silencer_pl | 5

If someone doesent have the time to do his mission anytime soon (lets say 2-3 days) we can put him down the quene. As soon as the commander is back hes allowed to get even on the number of missions(see above)

As noted by Veteran we should keep comments in that thread to a minimum. the discussion thread for it is here:

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/TFTD-...tory-t8679.html

i wont delete non mission comments here tho

Rules:

- vanilla game, no xcomutil

- Iron man: no loading whatsoever(except for crashes/passing save on/contineuing the game)

- only one MC Displacer allowed per mission

- 1 phase of geoscape 1 tactical mission per Command.

- avoid research bugs (for mor info read https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=K..._Research_Bugs 8.4)

Let the mincing and sprazzling begin

Chapter One:

The HQ will be Placed in the Atlatic Ocean near North America:

post-152-1296692662_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/.../1baseloc-1.jpg

Hopefully we will get some USOs to hunt down soon.

Some minor alterations in the Base.

post-152-1296692675_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...ariousstuff.jpg

I didnt build the 2nd Sub Pen yet as we might need loads of money for replacements soon :-)

Buying 20 Eggheads, 2 more soldies and starting Gauss Tech.

Ordered some more Jet Harpoons and GC-HE ammunition.

Pretty much standard stuff

2nd January 2:03 am:

post-152-1296692694_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...irstcontact.jpg

wonderful night mission without flares or new weaponry or a full Triton for that matter. gonna be a massacre.

I send the barracude first in case the Sub chooses to make a run for it.

post-152-1296692706_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...endingemout.jpg

It didnt so ive got me a nice little first Mission ;)

here is the vid i recorded. I did it with dosbox.

greez

Mission 1:

I had some trouble with saving the screenies from dosbox(as i was using d-fend) and the pics all got colour inverted...

I cant present any screenies from the first few mins of the mission, but this has happened:

Pitch black night mission. Usually with no flares and gillmen i would cancle the mission, but as the terrain is full of cover and edges (which would be messy at day too) i thought ill give it a go.

The first few careful steps of my men went well, we encountered the race: Gillmen.

1 near the front of the Triton gont piked by a Jet Harpoon autoshot(only one hit). lucky indeed, as gillmen often survive that.

We found another one lurking around the rock formation and he got killed too ;).

this is when i started recording the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAPAJrs_74

First kill:

post-152-1296733195_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...r/firstkill.jpg

Sencond kill:

post-152-1296733206_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...eer/2ndkill.jpg

it seems that all goes well. going around a corner mannski got shot at twice. As aliens got lower accuracy at superhuman xD both shots missed.

post-152-1296733222_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/.../3encounter.jpg

too bad we cant see it. Advancing mannski to hide behind a nearby rock and letting some other cannonfodder throw nades. no kill.

next round we order Mannski to scout the hideout of the gillman and, naturally, he got shot dead. the alien needed 2 shots so we can safly scout it out now:

post-152-1296733238_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...sbeer/5spot.jpg

sniping from afar Andi downed the greeny with 2 salves autofire.

The Troops advance carefully and 2 'snipers' position themselves at high ground:

post-152-1296733253_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...6highground.jpg

some time later we spot the enemy sub:

post-152-1296733266_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Grossbeer/7uso.jpg

carfully advancing to the sub results in a granade being thrown by a gillman .... at his own feet:

post-152-1296733281_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...sbeer/8miss.jpg

we didnt hear it die of shame so its still there. one turn later we got proof: another granade is thrown by the gillman, trying to iron out his mistake... with success:

post-152-1296733295_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Grossbeer/9hit.jpg

Nikolai Pavlov returned the favour and magna-blasted the gillman.

After surrounding the Sub and opening the door we spot the last alien,

post-152-1296733312_thumb.png

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/...beer/10last.jpg

which got impaled by an Jet Harpoon autofire.

Sadly one of the bolts hit the Ion Beam accelerator

Mission successful, only 3 losses!!

passing the gillman-foot lucky charm to Bomb Bloke

the savegame link: GAME_1.zip

Okay Crazy Photon is in with the fun :-)

And i vote for naming aquanauts with forum meber names.

Playing with nikolais otto zanders its kinda hard to remember the names ^^ but i guess everyone can handle that as they want.

I will start using names when its my turn again.

Recruitment of divers open :-)

ah and btw, i renamed the aquanauts with tags, very similar to xcomutils function.

m = over 60 accuracy M = over 70

c(oward) = under 30 Bravery --> cannon fodder/scout

w(eak) = under 30 str

r = over 50 reaction R = over 60 Reactions

greez

What do you mean, "didn't build the second sub pen"? We're supposed to start with two, do you mean you sold it?! Not sure I like that idea much, especially since Barracudas can't be sold for cash (they're rentals, after all).

Edit: So here's my videos:

bbturn1_p1.zip

bbturn1_p2.zip

I was gonna let YouTube handle them, but on uploading the first it doubled the filesize... Stupid. So I'll dump 'em here for now.

I've added another general store, initiated all alien research projects available, and sold the corpses and sonic pistols. That left four blasta rifles and seven clips for them in stock, plus a small amount of plastics and one nav system. Considered adding some more living quarters and workshops, but figured I might wait to see how the budget goes first.

snapshot20110202195326.png

Noticed the Triton was low on stocks, but figured since it was only the second day your orders wouldn't've arrived yet. Ordered some thermal tazers, would've grabbed some chemical flares too but the stores were full. Turns out you'd already ordered twenty. Also brought on three replacement aquanaughts to replace the fallen. Probably should've ordered some tanks when the stores were finished, though it slipped my mind.

snapshot20110202202536.png

Twenty scientists quickly joined our forces, so I threw them onto the gauss project. By the time my USO turned up they'd polished off the pistols and started on rifles.

A small craft, already parked, with the dawn of a bright new morning shining down on it. I sent both my subs over but it didn't take off before the Triton arrived, with eight troopers on board. Jet harpoons all around except for one guy with explosive shells in his gas cannon. Left the other two troopers back at base so there'd be at least some chance to stay in the game should the aliens decide to pay a visit (all the more reason to stock up on tanks, by the way).

snapshot20110202200316.pngsnapshot20110202200409.png

Landed amongst a sunken cargo ship, near the north west corner of the crash site zone. Quickly found a gillman packing what looked like a sonic cannon, but he was a few steps out of sight range from the hold of the Triton, and so he got sniped into oblivion. Don't mind the randomly scattered harpoon holes everywhere.

snapshot20110202200538.png

Quickly found a Cruiser (large scout) to the south east. All went well to start with, the few aliens I found went down without too much trouble.

snapshot20110202200639.png

Take this chump, for instance. He spent each turn staring off the east and doing very little else. While standing on the very east-most side of the map, mind. He (eventually) got sniped by Lyudmila, who pulled off a cracking snap shot from some great distance.

snapshot20110202200839.png

The first trooper to fall was Jaime. He wasn't killed by the depicted alien, but rather by Krug, who was providing cover fire with the usual accuracy employed by rookies. This is probably what I get for giving the HE shells to a guy named Krug.

snapshot20110202200935.png

I started to drag the rest of the squad over to the area, when Lyudmila ran into this. I couldn't believe it; point blank range, three shots in her gun, and just enough TUs to perform an auto-fire action. It really was this girl's lucky day.

snapshot20110202201156.png

Or not. What is this I don't even

snapshot20110202201224.png

Jason Hand wasn't too far away and quickly avenged her, for what that was worth. Miguel tried an out-flanking maneuver on the alien that I'm choosing to blame for Jaime's death (you just can't stay mad at a guy named "Krug" for long), but that failed miserably and sound waves emitted from the Gillman's gun tore his head apart. Perhaps that'll make those teenagers think twice before turning their music up so loud. In any case, Krug had the final say in the matter, and a second HE shell went true to its mark and finished the matter once and for all.

Off went the survivors to check out the USO. I'd had a couple of units guarding it for some time, and thrown a magma-blast grenade near the entrance just in case any aliens had chosen to linger outside, but that gambit was entirely without success.

snapshot20110202201437.png

One alien fell to a harpoon or three, and another darted in and out of the craft, forgetting to close the door behind him. After conventional fire failed to kill it, I decided rather then wait and allow the door to close, I'd instead have Krug blast the entrance with another HE shell. This destroyed some loot in the process, but meh, funny green men no laugh at Krug now.

snapshot20110202201453.png

Still, I wasn't about to allow the guy to blow up the delicate internals of the craft, and so I left him to guard the door while the other three troopers present entered (for those keeping count, the one remaining unit I'd left sitting in the Triton the whole time, in case the worst should happen).

Jason met an untimely end in the usual way (stepping through a doorway, what else?), but this time my attempt at a flank more or less worked and so his killer quickly met a similar fate.

snapshot20110202201523.pngsnapshot20110202201550.png

And that was that. An intact Cruiser, but at the cost of four aquanaughts. Guess it'll have to do.

snapshot20110202201612.png

GAME_1.zip

My first order of the day is to temporarily switch researh onto the Gauss Pistol ammo and order the engineers to crank out 4 of them fast.

Started some extra research topics and sold off some junk to clear out the stores to buff up the funds a bit.

Namely got rid of the alien learning arrays. Sold all but 2 sonic rifles. Also sold all the sonic cannons and their clips - we'll have more than we'll need before long. Since we can't use them yet, we may as well put them to better use as extra funds.

With only 6 active aquanauts, I hire 4 more recruits.

Also bought 24 magna-blast grenades and 5 magna-pack explosives to add to the munitions, a G. Cannon Coelacanth and 60 solid bolt rounds. Then hit myself as I noticed I'd bought 4 extra tazers in the process.

Funds took a dip, but still above a mil, so I think that should do.

Now I wait. As the days go by, equipment arrives and I rearm the Triton.

When Gauss Ammo is researched all researchers resume on the Gauss Rifle. Tempted to go straight to the Sonic Pulsers, but we aren't facing tough opposition yet, so should be able to wait a bit.

geoscape_000.png

On the 16th of Jan a small ship is located touched down literally beside the base. Without a full crew or the armament I'd wanted, I'm reluctant to attack it, but at the same time do not want to risk shooting it down so close to the base.

No tank, no gauss pistols, only 6 aquanauts, I decide to risk it.

At the start of the mission I strip everyone of excess equipment to lighten their loads and the battle begins.

Turn 1

A quick look outside suggested the team's touched down beside a sunken ship, with the Triton on the south-western corner of the map.

Nikolai and Klaus arm grenades and end the turn.

Turn 2

tactical_001.png

Krug and Nikolai step out of the Triton. Krug examines the rear of the Triton just to make sure it's safe.

Grigory and Amanda move close to the hatch and thus ends the turn. During the alien phase several USO doors open and shut menacingly.

Turn 3

Krug and Nikolai move out a little and Amanda joins them. The turn ends. More alien sub doors open menacingly to frighten us. No matter!

Turn 4

The team spread out a little more. Amanda heads for the wrecked hull. Not wanting to explore too far, Amanda halts and waits for backup in the form of Charlie and her Gas Cannon.

Turn ends - and more door noises.

Turn 5

Klaus is sent out to back up Nikolai who is watching the seabed to the north while Amanda and Charlie inspect the wreck. Krug moves along the edge of the map to cover the pair as they advance. Being the only aqaunaut left in the Triton, Grigory remains as rear commander. Turn ends. Once again they menace us with the doors.

Turn 6

Mandy does a quick walk up the stairs of the wreck and drops over the side after confirming that the top deck is clear. Charlie moves to check underneath and finds no signs of enemies. Nikolai and Claus start scouting northwards. Krug settles down in the coral for now. Turn ends and the team still haven't ventured very far.

Turn 7

Amanda walks past the ribs of the wreck and sees the enemy sub. With the objective in sight, Krug gets up and continues edging along the map to get a better angle at the sub doors - though he gets careless and runs out of time. Luckily he's safe for the time being.

Charlie suddenly gets a great idea and decides to make her way up to the upper deck of the wreck to get some better elevation to provide elevated cover for everyone in the area.

Klaus surges ahead through the coral to the north while Nikolai stays put. The turn ends.

The errant door opener is spotted entering through the door. It's an aquatoid. This could mean trouble.

Turn 8

Just excited at the prospect of finally seeing the enemy, Charlie races to the top of the stairs and launches a GC-HE shell to the door. Her aim is off and it hits the side of the sub with no positive results. Amanda follows through by kneeling and tosses a grenade at the door. Nikolai throws his pre-armed grenade all the way over the wrecked hull to Krug, who is very quick to grab it. The team waits patiently.

The grenade explodes and no aquatoid was hit. Instead the aquatoid mocks us with its ritual of walking out the door and walking back in again.

Turn 9

Nikolai arms a magna-blast for 1 turn, and throws it to Charlie, who then grabs it and throws it to Amanda. Amanda ends the relay by throwing it at the door.

At least that was the plan - without realising what had happened, the grenade ended up falling short. Not noticing her fumblem, Amanda gets killed by it at the end of the turn. Krug shakes his head.

Turn 10

Charlie discovers that some of floorboards on the top deck of the wreck are deceptive and instead of walking around them, falls through some broken boards to the lower deck. She attempts to climb back upstairs but doesn't have enough time to make it all the way up the stairs.

Everyone ends the turn in anticipation.

Turn 11

Regaining her vantage point, Charlie decides to play it smart this time and stay on solid floorboards. Turn ends.

Turn 12

tactical_002.png

Nikolai stands up and immediately spots an Aquatoid scout that is looking the other way. Klaus deftly throws his Magna Blast grenade over, Nikoila scoops it up, lobs it and quickly backs up out of sight.

When the bubbles and dust have cleared both Russians utter quiet oaths. The Aquatoid walks away, jarred, but still alive, seemingly oblivious to its ordeal.

Turn 13

Nikolai moves forward to relocate his prey. Relaying the location to Charlie, she repositions and does a quick snap and the Aquatoid is taken down with a burst of bubbles.

tactical_003.png

No time to celebrate their victory, the team waits.

As if retaliation to its dead comrade, a pulser flies out of nowhere, but falls short short and its explosion does nothing to Nikolai.

tactical_004.png

Turn 14

tactical_005.png

Nikolai and Charlie experience deja-vu as they get to repeat their last performance move-by-move. Nikolai steps forward to spot the Aquatoid, and Charlie gets a better aim and deals the lethal blow with a quick snap.

Only this experience isn't quite the same. Two Aquatoids are taken down.

Krug, now feeling rather lonely having been kneeling amongst the corals and not having done much, gets up and edges further along the southern edge of the map.

Klaus gets up and and travels northwards to keep pace with Nikolai.

The sub doors are frantically opened again.

Turn 15

Klaus and Nikolai decides now is a good time to arm fresh grenades. Nikolai discovers he only has a dye grenade left, so decides to do nothing.

Charlie and Krug adjust their positions to get a better view of the sub and its doors.

Turn 16

tactical_006.png

Nikolai spots another Aquatoid amongst the dead Aquatoids! In an attempt to avoid damaging the equipment around it, Klaus stows away his grenade and attempts a 6-round volley with his Jet Harpoon. None of the shots connect. Charlie makes an attempt but the shot fires wild, narrowly missing Nikolai. Not feeling safe, Nikolai moves back as far as he can. Krug tries to join in, but his nearly direct line of sight is only just hampered by the edges of the submarine. The turn ends very nervously.

The aquatoid shoots and Nikolai dies. It scuttles out of view.

Turn 17

Angered by his comrade's death, Klaus launches his grenade at the Aquatoid's last known location. It fails to harm anything.

Turn 18 and 19 pass tensely as the area is monitored but no sight of the aquatoid. When the turn ends, a sonic beam flies straight and true out of the unknown and kills Klaus.

Turn 20

Rather than risk spreading out now that the forces have thinned to half its size, Krug changes plans and heads back to link up with Charlie at the wreck. He decides to stay on the ground level and monitors the sub. Turn ends.

Turn 21 - 22 No movement. The two remaining combatants stand stock still.

tactical_007.png

The aquatoid that killed the two Russians lunges forward, and Charlie avenges her dead comrades with a wildly fired reaction shot that manages to kill it.

Turn 23 - 24 end with an eerie quietness. No more door sounds are heard. Should they run? They fight on.

Turns 25 - 28

Krug makes a bold move and decides to walk around the wreck and head slowly for the the sub.

Another pulser is thrown at the end of the turn. Again it misses by falling short.

Turn 29

Krug retreats back to the safety of the wrecked hull to wait for the unsettled bubbles and dust particles to clear.

Turn 30 - 34

Krug makes another valiant effort to reach the side of the sub, but the moment he reaches his goal, he is rewarded with death. There is still another Aquatoid lurking out beyond where the 4 other Aquatoids were found.

Turn 38

Charlie fires a round into the unknown terrain in an attempt to catch the hidden aquatoid, but by the end of the turn the aquatoid sends a vicious retort from with its sonic blasta-rifle and kills her.

Remaining Turns

Grigory waits for word from his friends, but none of them have returned. Every once in a while he opens the doors to peer outside.

By turn 54, fearing the worst, he initiates the dust-off sequence.

With 4 aliens killed and 5 casualties, the mission ends with a poor -69 points. The sole survivor, Grigory, is promoted to Ensign.

But not to take the failure lightly, the Barracuda is immediately launched to catch the enemy sub. The sub manages to break free and flees from the initial engagement. A chase ensues along the coast of Africa. The 4 new recruits arrive at the base during the chaos.

geoscape_001.png

At 1920 hours, the chase ends with the Barracuda successfully shooting down the enemy submarine.

Sorry folks, looks like my first command wasn't too successful. Hope the next commander has better luck!

GAME_1.zip

- NKF

Good stuff guys! Seems to be progressing at speed... That was an amazingly accurate autoshot in the first mission grossbeer, the one that killed Mannski's shooter! How did the sonic pistol get into the Triton in the first few turns though? Were you hedging your bets just in case it went horribly wrong?

Couple of points to note.

We really should keep this thread clear of non-mission posts (yes like this one) so I advise renaming this to something along the lines of TFTD co-op (like the other one) and making the current discussion for it the official chatter thread too. Then we can move or delete any non-mission posts from in here (yes including this one!)

I agree, we need tanks, and why did we sell the third sub-pen? And why does everyone keep referring to it as the second sub-pen lol

Finally how is everyone storing video files, screenshots and the savegames for sharing? My turn is looming and I need to know where to upload everything before I can share my glorious victory/shameful demise ;)

EDIT : Missed one. Still think using forum member names for rookies is a terrible idea. Unless we work our way through every single member past and present we'll be recycling the same names over and over again and if I pick up a savegame that uses names like soandso2 I WILL be renaming them to a more sensible standard.

The whole reasoning behind the personal avatar is that if you happen to die then you can be considered heavily injured. That doesn't work with the whole squad though or the game becomes ridiculous as it's impossible for anyone to die. Just letting the otehr commanders know that you really shouldn't waste your time renaming troopers (unless for stat purposes as mentioned by Grossbeer) as I will be undoing all of your hardwork at the first opportunity ;)

Ok so here is my playthrough. I've uploaded the images to my book of face for the time being but if they can be stored elsewhere to allow their removal that'd be good ;) Also I have nowhere to upload the savegame so I either need access to somewhere so I can link to it or an email address so I can send it that way.

Now without further ado let the mayhem commence!

So luckily I had a nice headsup on this one as NKF had already raided the landed USO once. An Aquatoid Cruiser with half the crew dead due to the previous engagement (in theory) Unfortunately I had a rather limited pool of aquanauts after the unfortunate incidents preceding my arrival on the scene, only one operative assigned to the Triton.

Regardless there was a saving grace as four new recruits had recently arrived while the interception was underway and after another day or so of waiting the new Coelacanth arrived too! I shelled out $200k on 5 new troopers but I knew they'd never arrive in time so I equipped the Triton with all 5 available troopers and the new tank before launching to the scene!

The Triton arrived at the crash site approximately 30 hours after the Cruiser was shot down and at bang on midnight it couldn't have been darker. Thankfully the crashsite was located in a highly active underwater volcanic field and this seemed to brighten things up no end so visibility was good.

Along with the tank I had on my side Ensign Grigory Gakanovitch, the sole survivor of the previous encounter with these same aliens. It was decided buy the others (and the fact he was at the back of the Triton) that he would again stay with the ship in case history were to repeat itself. There is also another Grigory in the new recruits along with Martin, Astra and a strange fellow called Munty who I couldn't help but take an immediate shine to ;) (that's me for anyone slow out there lol)

All 5 troops were equipped with harpoon rifles and enough magma blast grenades to fill the Mariana trench and then the mission began.

01.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...9_7728687_n.jpg

An early bit of luck saw us in a great position at the lowest point of the map in the South East. That placed our doors away from any enemies but also meant we had one extra corner to brave. The new Coelacanth was eager to pay for itself so it made an early dash to the SW and rounded the front of the Triton.

Astra and Martin formed a fireteam and moved in the same direction taking cover behind the tank and staying close to the Triton. Munty and Grigory formed a second fireteam and moved North along the Eastern side of the map, pausing at the rear to watch for movement.

02.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...0_6762386_n.jpg

Further progression was slow for all but the tank as the fireteams were taking a cautious approach and ready to return any hostile fire if necessary. The Coelacanth continued to move West along the Southern edge of the map and the surprisingly good visibility gave it a LOS right the way to the centre of the map. The Western fireteam of Martin and Astra followed the tank whilst sneakily using it as both an early warning system and heavy cover. Munty and Grigory proceeded North with Grigory on point.

03.jpg

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...1_7776609_n.jpg

Next turn there is still no visible movement and no sounds from the alien submersible. On the eastern front Grigory seems to be slowing the fireteam down so Munty takes point and steps round the corner to be confronted with the first hostile of the mission!

04.jpg

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...4_4321649_n.jpg

Lucky it wasn't Grigory as he'd have certainly had no TUs left. As it is Munty was able to let off an autoshot at close range and the Aqutoid is critically skewered with the first bolt, crumpling up into a bleeding green ball. Martin and Astra continue their Westward trek towards a large and imposing volcanic formation while the Coelacanth holds a great position in the centre of the map to ensure no flanking occurs.

In the next hidden movement phase another Aquatoid is spotted in the Northeast, close to where Munty killed the last one! He loses contact so stumbles up onto a volcanic ridge and spots him again. He quickly primes and tosses a grenade which lands right at the creatures feet but is cut down in his prime when return fire finds it mark!

05.jpg

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...6_7513009_n.jpg

Tragedy! As the western fireteam continue to scout the volcanic anomaly they have found, Grigory is now all alone on the Eastern front. Munty's grenade has exploded spectacularly, decimating the seabed. The Aquatoid however is largely non-plussed by the whole affair and remains in good health. Furious at the creatures refusal to die, Grigory steps up and lets off an autoshot but the range is too far and all shots miss. The enemy however is lucky again and for the second time in as many turns he kills an operative with reaction fire!

06.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash...8_2122550_n.jpg

With the eastern front now a veritable graveyard and flanking a distinct possibility the Coelacanth is detached from the western fireteam who are now in position on the very Western edge of the map. They move North and cling to cover while the Coelacanth moves over to hunt down the remaining aquatoid in the east.

07.jpg

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...5_2291310_n.jpg

As more of the terrain is uncovered there is still no sign of the alien craft and it's running out of shadows to hide in...

07.jpg

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...5_2291310_n.jpg Edit by BB: This is the same image as the previous...

As the western fireteam continue their march north they are forced to make a break across an open strait in order to reach new cover but both arrive safely a few turns later. The Coelacanth has reached the North-East corner of the map by this point but despite a methodical approach there is still no renewed contact with the previously engaged Aquatoid.

Finally the creature is spotted on the Northern edge of the map and the Coelacanth, deprived of cover, is forced to engage immediately.

09.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash...9_6977709_n.jpg

A well placed snap shot ends the green beasts reign of terror and the Coelacanth engages smug mode. Unfortunately the next hidden movement reveals another creature very close to the corpse of his recently fallen brother and he doesn't look happy.

10.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...0_2116636_n.jpg

The Coelacanth is lucky enough to start it's next turn just one square out of visual range of the new threat so after a very short move it opens fire. Sadly it's meagre 66TUs only allow it 2 snap shots and both miss. With just enough allowance remaining to move it attempts to hide behind a stone pillar half it's own size.

The prayer that it would interfere with enemy LOS seems to be answered and no shots are fired in the alien turn but there is a very dubious sound followed by this smoking yellow puddle...

11.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...2_8140355_n.jpg

Alas Coelacanth we hardly knew ye. And $420k for one dead alien is NOT what I call value for money. Regardless, the team of 3 remaining aquanauts take this as a rather bad omen and in a last attempt to salvage a mission that's quickly being destroyed by just one Toid gone Rambo, Grigory (the Ensign, not the dead Seaman) leaves the Triton for the first time and makes his way to the grave of his namesake to collect some items.

Astra and Martin have continued their move up the west side of the map and finally the cruiser is spotted with seemingly little damage. They both assemble at the front of the craft, take what little cover they can find and prime one grenade each as failsafes should things go wrong. They know that the explosions will cause chaos in the close confines of the alien craft should they fall in combat...

As the Coelacanth smoulders to the North, Ensign Gakanovich collects all of Seaman Grigory's belongings and picks up a bunch of sonic blasters and a Vibro Blade from the first Aquatoid casualty. Astra takes the best available position to the front of the cruiser while Martin moves around to it's rear along the western edge of the map. From this angle it's apparent that some hefty damage was done after all and a great deal of equipment has been destroyed in the crash.

Martin pauses outside the craft and prepares to enter through the battle-damaged side of the cruiser. He immediately spots a dead aquatoid inside the craft and on advancing further he soon spots another. It appears that the aliens deserted the wrecked craft soon after impact and a sweep of the front chambers reveals nothing.

On moving to inspect the tail end of the Cruiser however Martin spots an Aquatoid with his back turned. Not one to miss a golden opportunity he throws his pre-primed grenade and bolts out of the craft before the monster can react. The explosion is amplified wonderfully by the confines of the alien craft and Martin is elated as he watches the green mist clear before him.

12.jpg

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...3_4738516_n.jpg

A further sweep of the craft reveals no further hostiles and Grigory has returned to the Triton with the first lot of loot. Meanwhile Astra and Martin have situated themselves in the eastern side of the alien craft and Martin has grabbed a new grenade from his belt.

13.jpg

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...4_6350511_n.jpg

First Astra ventures forth into the open space and shortly after, Martin follows her. With so little terrain left to explore it's not long before they spot the creature that offed the tank. They briefly wonder how much money an alien clone can possess but decide it probably isn't the necessary $420k for a new tank and so they both throw their grenades and then duck for cover. With the alien's back to the troopers it's easy to land the grenades where he can't see them so there is no risk of retaliation.

14.jpg

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...6_5969302_n.jpg

With a satisfying boom (yes only one, it seems Martin didn't prime his grenade...) the final alien is obliterated and the mission concludes after 31 turns.

The loss of 2 aquanauts dwells on the minds of the 3 remaining operatives and the loss of a tank will no doubt infuriate the accounts department but the mission IS a success and with more recruits already on the way things are not as dire as they may at first appear to be.

15.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...5_3699990_n.jpg

Not a particularly good ration of 4 kills : 3 losses I'm afraid (especially when one is a tank) but victory nonetheless! The saddest thing about it is that I went down after just one kill... If only I'd gone west with Astra then Martin would've died instead lol. I'll be back though, doctors say it's a mere flesh wound and I should be up again in a week!

The best thing to come from this mission is 2 sonic cannons which are our first to date so no wonder this was a tough mission for both myself and NKF!

On returning to base I shelled out on another Coelacanth as well as 10k for 50 more bolts. It's ever so slightly possible that I may have bought the wrong type of tank but I'm hoping I didn't! Obviously that's for the next commander to deal with now but if I did you'll have no ammo so leave it at base and buy a new harpoon one adn some rockets too. Then at least we'll have 2 tanks lol

I spent another $200k on a further 5 aquanauts so in the next few days we can expect the delivery of 10 new troopers. The living quarters finished building in my turn but no research or construction. I haven't set any new buildings down, I'll leave that to others unless someone tells me what to make ;)

That's it! Here is the save for the next commander: Game_1.zip

The story continues as commander Silencer takes his rotation of X-Com as other commanders need brake from the horrors that the alien forces unleash on them.

The first of my orders where to examine stores and sell some extra cargo: some corpses, a little of navigation and accelerators, reduced the sonic pulsers ammount from 25 to 15 - we need that cash and the granades will come in plenty, and some unneeded craft gas cannon and gas cannon ammo us it is certenly unneeded. I then took a glimps at our man at arms and at work. Seeing that we have plenty room and a bit of cash I have ordered 14 more brave man (and women). Also have noticed that soon I will have my own batch of new blood and a tank.

I have then turned my eyes on the research. Fortunetly our 'Einsteins' where finishing the gauss pistol tech so I have started to manufacture some of them in small batches. First 4 of them then some ammo.

Last thing I did in the base for now was to build a sub pen on top left corner. It is cheap and we hade about 2kk in $.

Also I have noticed that we are nearing end of the month the time was closing for the dreaded Terror Mission.

Fearing the inevitable with fast heart bit rushed the time. Few days passed and some soldiers and tank arrived at base.

After finishing gauss pistol I have started the resaerch of the Gauss Rifle - we need it badly and we need it fast.

Soon later my dreaded foughts came through as large USO appeared on our sonars. I told our man to gear up and report to Trition.

https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4923/large1sighting.png

Since our Barracudas don't stand a chance against such foe I slowly watched where the USO goes. To my surprise (or not) the sub circled our base vaninishing somewhere over Europe.

Another days passed some gauss pistols and ammo were manufactued seeing that we have cash to spare and month closing to and end I have ordered to manufacture more gauss pistols (8) and some ammo. A day later our scientist finally gave us the schematics for Gauss rifles and I have ordered them to go for this granade thing aliens are using and raced to the Techs ordering them to make us some of that brand new rifles.

Again time passes and another large USO is deteced:

https://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8606/large2sighting.png

As the date was merciless (30 of Jan) I knew that this time they will strike with Terror. And I wasn't wrong few hours later Jamica start to broadcast world wide emergency signal of alien attack.

I've rallied our boys and soon the Triton was on a rescue mission.

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7203/terrormissiongo.png

The battle that our men will be their first true battle against the aliens and to prove that their are worthy the ranks of an X-COM soldier

The fight was brutal as men were dying aliens guts flying. I will post the result soon.

To be continued

The Triton has arrived and landed almost at the middle of Jamaican port

https://img546.imageshack.us/img546/285/tactical000.png

As we have opened the door a gillman was caught surprisingly showing our back. Our first seaman Olga tried to do some finess sneak atack with aim shot but the tense and her inexpierience (though verry accurate 57 acc) missed and hit the barrels standing few metters away, causing them to explode. Because of that the gilman turn around and scored first blood of this fight. Seeing the death of her teamate Collete tried to avenge her with aimed shot but she too fell to the brutal accuaracy and power of alien sonic weapons.

https://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3470/tactical001.pnghttps://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8663/tactical002.png

Two deaths in quick succession struck some fear in our man. Luckly some of them have nerves of steel and eye of a hawk. Having survived a mission Martin took place of his fallen comrades took a big aim shot straight betwen aliens eyes sending him to hell. Ending this turn

https://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6608/tactical003.png

Turn 2.

Our man exit the sub spotting another gilmen and a deep one. Wanting to settle the score, our man prime some explosives. As Martin strength allows him to toss it with some easy they pass him live explosive and he throws it at the very feet of the alien blowing him to bits.

https://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3222/tactical004.png

Turn 3.

Still at the doors of Triton men spot another aliens. Fire exchange results in Martins death.

As Olga starts to run to the walls of the storehouse she spots another gilman at first floor. Unleashing hell on him she misses badly. Backing her up Miguell tries with aim shot killing poor Olga in back of her head. Killing your own is not tolerated in our team. Lucky for him Amanda took care of this problem, but I think that rest of the team will not put faith in Miguell.

https://img815.imageshack.us/img815/760/tactical007.pnghttps://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5539/tactical008h.png

https://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1454/tactical009.png

Having secured the exit of the sub, our brave seaman start to explore the west side of Jamaican port.

The leading lady Astra being able-seaman leads the scouting party followed by Tim and Virgill with dart rifles (only two dart rifles - rest have gauss pistols with no extra clips).

As the western scouting team proceedes they spot a gilman nearby hidden behind a fence with some explosive barrels covering his ass. Without hessitation Astra tries with aim shot failing missrebly following with snapshot hitting the barrels. Following her Tim also unsuccesfully shoots at the alien. Fortunatly Virgil is the right man for this job as his perfectly aimed shot delivered the dart right in the head of this monster killing him instantly

https://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1145/tactical010.pnghttps://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4776/tactical011.png

some one make a brake liner - there is more and I must go out

Sorry for such dealy - I had 5 hour family dinner - after 3rd hour I felt zombified. grr.

The lost deep one I believe you are talking the one that vanished from second turn It was zapped later (read below)

Continiunig story.

While alien had their turn they revield them selfes south west at our small scout group - a deep one to be precise. Because of the good coverege and some thermal lances in backpacks the team dicded to capture one. With Astra sneaking in from the north and Tim with two other mates from the east, while Virgil protecting Astras northern advance.

As the eastern diversion group were closing in Tim spotted 'unarmed' gillmen. The poor shot he his a full auto with his dart gun zapped right next to the creature hitting metal container. Because he ain't dumb he hid behind the metal storage room wall.

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8943/tactical012.pnghttps://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2576/tactical013.png

As next turn came. Tim volunteered to be a distranction and a foward scout for this dangerous operation 'Catch the deep one' (all sing the 'Catch the pegoun' song ;) ). Covering his back infamous Martin helps with killng the alien sending him to hell and reedming himself. While the boys where busy with the distraction from the east, Astra continues to sneak on the deep one from the north. But the always devious aliens have their eyes all over the map and she spots another deep one on the roof of some building. Being very surprised she misses the devil, but again ever vigilant Virgil delivers another bolt to the head stunning the bastard

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9769/tactical014.pnghttps://img153.imageshack.us/img153/843/tactical015.png

https://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6366/tactical022.png

While this operation proceeded smoothly, The remaining four aquanauts prepared an assault on the eastern warehouse. As they left the sub the missing deep one from Turn 2 re-apeared, but our boys quickly took care of the problem

https://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5961/tactical016.png

Following turns Astra finally stormed the second warehouse where the deep one was standing while being coverd by Tim and Martin. Because the action was performed so swiftly the deep one didn't have a chance to notice what is going on giving enough time for Astra to storm his position stunning him for good. The operation catching the deep one went flawless - yes no casualties. So far so good we have only four casualties and a live deep one.

https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5313/tactical017.pnghttps://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4576/tactical019.png

Meanwhile on the eastern front some aliens are trying to ambush us. Lucky for us we see them and can act accordingly

https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5194/tactical018.png

Having captured the deep one Tim decides that he will guard him with his life.

https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9149/tactical020.png

A brief view of situation for eastern front. Three man, Amanda, Kruger and our Ensing Grigory decied to flank the big warehouse from the south east. While Astra, Martin and Virgil slowly proceed to the north-west corner of the port.

https://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2818/tactical021.png

As the eastern front proceeds, Amanda spots another deep one way up high on the tower. Fortunetly for the team she blasted a hole through his brain. Unlucky for her as aliens had their go, some gilman with Sonic Cannon ripped her apart.

https://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7479/tactical023.pnghttps://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9751/tactical024.png

I need another post or please admin enable double posting for this thread. More large stories will become normal when colonies, activities and other terrors will come as suspense here is larger than in small subs

This is 2/3 of the story so end is near.

Thank you, and the story continues

Being so bold another gilman wanted to join his friend and attack our group. As he exit through the door our two men on the sub wing guarding the advance of the south eastern group decimeted him with reaction fire

https://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9000/tactical025.png

On our turn - Krug moves on Amanda position and takes revange on the bastard that took her. Mean while the north western front prepares to assault the building where the deep one was stunned

https://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8807/tactical026.pnghttps://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1453/tactical027.png

When our south eastern boys were almost at position some lucky gilmen from that gigant warehouse stuned our Ensign. Lucky Krug I don't know how survived the attack leaving him half-stunned. Because the assault was important as assaulting big houses full of aliens is almost suicide I've sent one more boy to help Krug, who was occupied by another deep one far in the south eastern corner. Because deep ones are stupid in assaulting fortified position he felt 3 bursts from Krugs Gauss Pistol. Having secrued southern approach I have sent our guards of Trition and a reinforcement for Krug to fast race to the wearhouse western wall.

First went Miguel and he spotted the bastard that disabled our Ensing. Unfortunetly he failed to kill him. Next went Rodrigo. By surprise Rodreigo has spotted another gilman and took care him in the blink of an eye

https://img651.imageshack.us/img651/64/tactical032.pnghttps://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1573/tactical033.png

As the aliens had their turn. Miguel got stunned but luckly aliens are somtimes dumb and the bastard also put himself out of commision.

Meanwhile western front storms the building and find out that it is empty. Having spoted another alien on north eastern part of the port Astra and Virgil went straight there under the cover of the small platform, while Martin decided to give the sleeping deep one a gift

https://img806.imageshack.us/img806/5875/tactical038.png

Sending Astra and Virgil under the platform was a mistake and Astra payed it with her life as there was another gilman in that building just north of theirs location. Her sacrifice did not go for nothing as Martin snuck on the alien from the front door while Vrigil kept him at bay near the southern window and zapped full auto onto buger back.

https://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1365/tactical042.png

Back to the eastern front, Rodriego and Danny enters the warehouse while Krug following behind. First floor was cleasen't in the process of entering it. The second floor surprised us with a deep one that was blasted by Rodriego. Having secured this floor, Danny begun to enter the third one. And he spotted another deep one which he promptly send to hell.

https://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7517/tactical040.pnghttps://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4729/tactical045.png

Having this big house secured they could provide excelent scouting and fire support for the rest of the team.

Also we have counted the aliens casualites and it was clear that only few aliens reside and must be somewher near.

Not a moment too soon Virigl has spoted another deep one in the nearest building of his position. First two salvos of his dart rifle missed horribly - spotting a deep one so close must have scared him to hell, but after taking deep breath, he reloaded his rifle and this time spot on he murdered the bastard.

https://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6278/tactical047.png

While Virigl was occupied with the deep one Danni and Rodriges were playing peek - a - boo through the windows. To thier surprise they have spoted blasted gilman. A good aimed shot from Rodriges put him out of our way.

https://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7898/tactical048.png

So many aliens yet they still roam the area. There was another gilman behind the boxes. Our guys at the top couldn't quite find a proper line of fire. Fortunetly Martin on the west side could hit him but he missed and hid behind the brick wall. Thinking that Martin and Virgil could occupy him Krug tried to storm past the western wall of the big warehouse but the alien did the unthinkable and killed him. Fortunetly this time Martin did not miss killing the bastard and ending the mission.

https://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1451/tactical051.png

After action report:

7 men died, 7 civilians died, 3 civilians rescued, 17 aliens died, 4 aliens captured including deep one.

https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3757/terrorresult.pnghttps://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7082/terrorpromotions.png

File for next commander: https://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/300335/GAME-1-zip.html

How do you attach files in post ?

Go to the Control Panel, then on the left-hand menu, there is a link under options called "Manage your attachments". Upload the attachment there, then copy the link and put it in the post.

Alternatively, you can send it to my e-mail address and I'll post it here (as well as being ready to play my turn).

EDIT: got the file, expect updates from me between today & tomorrow (I will be out for a few hours, then get started on it).

EDIT2: Back @ home, getting started. Veteran: Feel free to delete this post, was just trying to help silencer.

Good work silencer, that turned out to be a hell of a mission! Gutted we lost both the survivors from my last mission though lol Poor MArtin and Amanda, may they rest in peace with their former colleagues...

Anyway I'm not posting here to congratulate but to remind everyone to keep the chatter down. I'm going to delete a few posts (namely the breakers) and anything else I see with no content. Please keep the discussion in the appropriate thread ;)

Ok, update on the Geoscape part:

My first order of business was to do a quick check on the inventory and sold most of the extra corpses:

https://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9388/geoscape000.png

I left the sonic cannons, rifles & pistols for now.

Then, I started more research projects, left deep one unresearched for now.

https://img225.imageshack.us/img225/153/geoscape001.png

Afterwards, some more ammo was ordered as the terror mission left the base almost empty of ammo ;). I also bought a couple of gas cannons since they are useful for area effect damage and for lighting up the terrain at night.

Since there were a lot of gauss pistols but few ammo, the factory workers paused gauss rifle production and started cranking more pistol ammo. Time passes...

https://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4934/geoscape002a.png

Seems that we are doing well on the monthly report. ;)

https://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6287/geoscape003i.png

10 scientists & 5 technicians were hired to aid in research and production efforts. Hopefully the scientists will help in finishing those grenades soon!

However, USO 6 appears:

https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1622/geoscape004.png

Barracuda 1 is launched for interception but signal is lost. The pilots listened to Photon's briefing beforehand, so they know that resistance is never futile, thus they decide to go to the last known position.

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8015/geoscape005.png

Soon afterwards, the alien craft is detected again. After a few minutes, they approached the craft to see if they could turn it into swiss cheese, but before the first salvo is fired, the USO became aware of their intentions and escaped almost immediately.

Again, the pilots refused to give up and pursued the craft, but it lands before they could catch it again.

https://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4307/geoscape006.png

At base, I rejoiced that I had put the engineers to produce more gauss ammo since the shipment had still not arrived, so I rearm the Triton with what's available and off we go!

https://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9504/geoscape007.png

The troopers start organizing their gear, mainly gauss pistols with an extra clip & lots of standard grenades (plus 2 dye grenades for cover and 2 magna blast grenades for any demolition tasks that may arise. There was room for the tank too, which would be used as the spotter for the snipers (Miguel & Rodreigo).

As soon as the tank gets off the Triton, the first Gillmen is spotted:

post-231-1296999800_thumb.png

Luckily, Miguel was near the door, so after a couple of shots, the alien turns into shark food:

post-231-1296999820_thumb.png

Most of the grenadiers prime the grenades, and a dye grenade is thrown near the craft to conceal the deployment. End of turn.

On the alien phase, the tank spots something moving but nothing is on sight when I regain control. The dye's dust cloud provides cover to the soldiers that had just been deployed:

post-231-1296999828_thumb.pngpost-231-1296999838_thumb.png

After moving the tank into the general direction, 2 more gillmen were spotted:

post-231-1297000014_thumb.png

"Grenadiers, give them hell!" the commander said. However, after several attempts, none of them could throw grenades far enough to reach them, so as soon as TUs were getting short, they also attempted firing at the south alien. A couple of shots connected, but the alien shrugged as if the gauss ammo were mosquito bites. However, Miguel's accuracy shows off again and after a shot the gillmen goes to a permanent sleep:

post-231-1297001925_thumb.png

Almost everyone is out of TUs, but Rodreigo tries his luck with the second alien, and is successful:

post-231-1297002111_thumb.png

End of turn. More alien movement is noticed, this time on the western part of the landing site. Since the craft was spotted, I didn't want to move them too close, just in case there are any campers at the entrance of the craft. After a barrage of shots, the alien was downed:

post-231-1297004769_thumb.png

End of turn. Unfortunately, Armand had just stepped out of the protective cloud and there was indeed an alien camping at the entrance, who opens the craft's door and turns him into dust. Virgil sets the record straight, though:

post-231-1297004895_thumb.pngpost-231-1297004941_thumb.png

Afterwards, the tank starts to cover the entrance while the rest of the troops come around the craft. Two turns passes, and the tank spots movement south of the USO. Turns out there was another gillmen outside. Grenadiers threw two grenades around it, but the alien refused to go down. After one more turn and a couple of shots from Rodreigo, if finally falls:

post-231-1297024855_thumb.png

Two turns later, the troops are finally ready to enter the craft, and just in time, because another camper knocked on the door and the tank, who immediately puts it to rest. A quick look at the rooms by one of the soldier spots two more aliens:

post-231-1297024956_thumb.pngpost-231-1297024981_thumb.png

I have the tank guard inside the entrance and wait one more turn. The aliens try to bring down the tank but it resisted nicely. The soldiers storm the room and finish the cleanup (and Annette capturing the last alien):

post-231-1297025187_thumb.pngpost-231-1297025212_thumb.png

File save for the next commander --> GAME_2.zip

here we go round 2:

1. Feb

After getting an overview of our situation i renamed the soldiers with them tags i like.

i sold some sonic cannons and various stuff (corpses and the like, i spare alle sonic pistols and rifles as well as thermal shockers)

Techs build some gauss rifles and later loads of ammo.

as it has been noted the sub pens are really cheap so i ordered the 3rd to be built.

After equipping the barracuda with dup launchers the sub pen was conmplete and i ordered more dup launchers and a barracuda.

the time flies by and i send the barracuda out on some scouting after looking at the graphs(which tell us in the south atlantic there is some activity) but no luck.

Research finished sonic Pulsers and Sonic blaster rifles ( i coose rifle ammo next) before the USo shows up:

post-7585-1297184095_thumb.jpg

post-7585-1297184102_thumb.jpg

i chased it a time witzh the barracuda and hoped it lands(it was moving very slowly) and after the barra was at 55 % fuel i shot it down.

the troop is equipped with 8 gauss rifles with 3 reloads, 2 pistols with 1 reload, and 2 gas cannons with 2 HE reloads.

the tank is coming along too

here are the vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtI390NWZQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePitZBnY0I

Tactilac mission:

after opening up the triton we spot the first alien in some dark area so we dont know if it is facing us. i skip the turn.

i start scouting a lil bit further and spot a gillman looking away. the tank goes out of the way and makes room for annete to HE the bastard:

post-7585-1297186470_thumb.jpg

rock on a dirct hit!

the next gillman was found soon after:

post-7585-1297186479_thumb.jpg

we didnt see it after the aliens moved so it calls for our newly researched sonic pulsers ;)

i moved the tank away a little and stupid enough the gillman reaction fiered, tho he didnt hit anything.

next turn we heard the sweet melodie of a greeny dying:

post-7585-1297186487_thumb.jpg

thex next one wasnt far away and got killed by danni with an assist of martin:

post-7585-1297186501_thumb.jpg

doing hes job very well our mechanized friend the tank pots the thext alien

Rodereigo takes a autoshot salve but doesent hit.

all other troops dont have any line of fire so the tank takes 2 shots as 10 TU suffice to go into cover again. as the gillman doesent die after one hit, i fear the worst as hes unarmed whcih means we got a grenade flying towards us:

post-7585-1297186506_thumb.jpg

the damage on the tank was minor, but this was pure luck. i do start loving the tank tho :-)

roderigo took another shot and downed the stupid nade'thrower.

so far so good.

aftetr some more scouting the next victim was spotted and Grigory took 2 auto shots which both failed misarably:

post-7585-1297186511_thumb.jpg

Miguel (having the /m tag) was full of confindence of netting a kill but shot his HE nowhere near the enemy and killed some innocent fish.

Virgil being a terrible shot downed the gillman as if it was nothing..

then we spot the USO:

post-7585-1297186516_thumb.jpg

soldiers are moving towars it and tim positioning himself in front of the sub door but way out of reach:

post-7585-1297186521_thumb.jpg

advancing to the sub

post-7585-1297187395_thumb.jpg

reveals 2 gillmen:

post-7585-1297186524_thumb.jpg

roderigo fearing for his live stands still and hopes his compadres dont hit him while trying to snipe the aliens.

Tim truss being in a good position takes a aimed and a snap shot but no luck so far(at least he didnt hit roderigo, tho it was close) Anette Bell with here HE loaded gas cannon was next. roderigo fearing his fellow Aquanaut now more than the aliens, shat his pants. Anette however, who can call herself a pro now, aimed one spot away from the gillman, hit and downed it:

post-7585-1297186529_thumb.jpg

Virgil standing somwhere far far away from the aliens chose to randomly shoot his autofire and luckyli hit the last of the aliens:

post-7585-1297186534_thumb.jpg

viola a no-loss crashed-small sub recovery. troops are now gaining confidence.

post-7585-1297186542_thumb.jpg

for the next Commander Bomb Bloke: https://rapidshare.com/files/446882109/GAME_1.rar

and here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGaOKjMoFdk

Just thought I'd start noting what midi file soundtracks I'm using while I'm playing this, as an insight into my sanity levels at the time. ;)

Geoscape Chapter

Music: Thunderbirds theme

My command starts with all new research projects being started. This is shortly followed by some fund raising by selling junk off to movie studios and universities. The stuff is snapped out like hotcakes!

I sold:

- 4 Gauss Pistols

- 2 Sonic Cannons

- 10 Blasta Rifles

- 5 Sonic Pistols

- 12 corpses sold (all of them basically, no worries, the researchers have all the samples they need)

That kicked up some cash, and when the living quarters is ready I hire 1 new aquanaut.

Barracuda-3 arrives and I arm it with an Ajax and DUP head to make it a more general purpose interceptor than the heavy-hitting Barracuda-1.

I physically arrive at the base and try to sign in as Jose Pantanella in an attempt to remain incognito - but somehow I'm not fooling the rest of my shipmates and they forgo the obligatory newbie hazing.

Getting sick of Thunderbirds I switch to Masterpiece theater - it's easier on the ears.

With the Sonic Blasta Rifle set being ready for use, the eggheads start to prod and poke the dead Deep One to examine its unusual skin to see how it maintains its soft and shiny luster despite its harsh living environments. Or so they tell the grunts. I suspect they're being sarcastic.

The seating roster is changed and 8 new recruits are named to board the Triton while the veteran team is given a well deserved rest. Equipment is adjusted accordingly to fit the new team.

Days later the Deep One Autopsy is complete and research is diverted into Aqua Plastics.

By the 24th of Feb Alien sub 8 is detected flying past the base. Barracuda 1 is launched and on engagement it looks appears to be a Fleet Supply Cruiser (be absolutely sure to read the footnote at the end of the Geoscape chapter). Because it's close to the base the Barracuda pulls back momentarily.

geoscape_000.png

At the time I took that screenshot the Barracuda ran out of fuel. That's very odd because it hadn't been flying for very long? I think I might've forgotten to bring up one of the menu screens when I alt-tabbed to write my notes down, so time kept running.

Either way Barracuda-3 is launched to take its place. The chase brings the venue Northwards to the port of Reykjavik. On contact, disaster strikes. Before the first DUP torpedo can hit, the Barracuda's health is literally left in the decimals, with roughly only 10% of its hull points remaining. An immediate withdrawal is issued.

As a last ditch effort, the Triton is launched in hopes of reaching the sub if it touches down. But the Sub starts to veer to the North East and keeps its heading.

geoscape_001.png geoscape_002.png

Shortly after the first screenshot the sub vanishes off the Sonar. Triton-1 is sent to patrol the last known position. After patrolling over Reykjavik for a few hours, the Triton is sent further North for another quick patrol. By the time it's down to 68% of its fuel the Triton is ordered to return home. We've lost the alien sub.

geoscape_003.png

At the end of 29th of February, Eurasia isn't too happy with us, but most of the rest of the council is pleased and have promised a good bonus to our funding next month. Good work everyone!

geoscape_004.png geoscape_005.png

A few days into March and research is moving smoothly! Plastic Aqua Armour is started and very promptly completed. All the scientists race for the chance to get started on the Ion Beam Accelerators.

In the meantime the Gauss Rifle production plant started by the last commander is halted to begin mass producing the new Plastic Aqua Armor and... fishbowls. Or so they tell me. I commission 8 Suits for a trial run, but I'm not confident that I'll see them in action on this brief tour.

geoscape_006.png geoscape_007.png

A large alien sub is spotted. Dual Barracudas are launched to engage. The alien sub does a sharp turn near Miami and starts flying back thet way it came. On contact it appears to be another Fleet Supply Cruiser.

The Barracudas launch an offensive but just like the last encounter this sub proves to be incredibly powerful. A few more torpedoes are slammed into the alien sub this time but again a few well placed hits from the sub forces both Barracudas to disengage by themselves. I think the aliens are dropping a subtle hint for us to get some better weapons.

geoscape_008.png geoscape_009.png

As if toying with the fleeing Barracudas the alien sub follows them at a slower pace. After the fleeing Barracudas have docked safely at the base, the alien sub does a fly-by. It then resumes on its original heading and ambles towards Port Severn (it's just touching the V in the second screenshot), and its true intentions are discovered:

geoscape_010.png

Triton-1 launches and finds itself in race with the day/night terminator.

geoscape_011.png geoscape_012.png

Light proves to be faster than the Triton, which everyone on the Triton agrees to be a good thing™.

On touching down the crew is armed very neatly with 2 Blasta Rifles, 2 Gauss Rifles, 2 Gauss Pistols and 2 Gas Cannons. Grenades are shuffled about and handed to the ones with the Gauss Pistols. The fight's on!

Or, at least not right away. To be continued in the next installment.

- NKF

Footnote:

On checking the wiki to double-check the name of the alien sub, I discovered I was throwing the Barracudas against a Battleship (TFTD's Terror Ship equivalent) and not a Fleet Supply Cruiser. No wonder the Barracudas were being pounded!

See, in the plain vanilla copy of TFTD, the Fleet Supply Cruiser and the Battleship have their images swapped in the interception pane.

Also note I'm still listening to Masterpiece theater as I type all this - it's become hypnotic. Argh!

Tactical segment

Played in silence - it was a long mission. Screenshots to be put in tomorrow. I might actually split this into two separate posts.

My original turns 1 - 10 were lost when the game crashed. I had to restart it but I do have the original transcript if anyone wants it.

Turn 1

tactical_000.png

The Coelacanth opens the door and spots a Gillman by the stairs on the corrugated iron hut directly outside. The tank fires twice and the second solid bolt hits. Colette sees a Gillman on the brick hut. She kneels and opens fire, but the shot misses. All four of the aquanauts arm grenades and end the turn.

From the noises, it's deduced that two civilians are killed and a Deep One attempts to attack something ineffectively.

Turn 2

The Coelacanth rides out and spots two snipers on top of two buildings beyond, a Gillman and a Deep One. Henri starts to walk after the Coelacanth, and spies three aliens right outside, two Gillmen and a Deep One. With so many aliens at hand, the team's glad everyone took the time to arm their grenades.

tactical_004.png tactical_005.png tactical_006.png tactical_008.png

Henri takes the farthest Gillman

Rodreigo takes the two in the chain link enclosure

Colette aims her Blasta Rifle and kills the nearby sniper.

Leon throws a grenade at the Deep One

Everyone and the Coelacanth file back into the Triton and wait for the fireworks.

They are pretty.

After the succession of explosions, a Deep One is heard killing a civilian.

tactical_009.png

Turn 3

tactical_010.png

The Coelacanth runs out to have a look along the Triton's blind side and spots a Deep One standing next to a toll booth and a Gillman hiding in a factory to the south. Leon Guerin attempts to throw a Pulser at the Gillman but the pulser flies too far and hits the wrong wall. We'll have to reattempt an attack on this Gillman later as there's no clear shot at it.

Bernard Gaudin, having two armed sonic pulsers, hands one to the other Leon, Leon Lefevre. Leon Lefevre takes the pulser outside the Triton and tries to throw it over the ship at the Deep One. He's not able to. He's too close to the sub. Feeling a bit stupid, he walks further out to get a better angle. It's not quite on target, but it's close enough. Both Leons scuttle back into the sub for cover. Colette arms a pulser and the Coelacanth backs up so that it's not in clear sight of the Gillman in the factory once the grenade goes off.

tactical_012.png

The toll booth has its side blasted open and is pasted with Deep One bits. A chunk is blown out of side of the factory with the second pulser explosion.

Turn 4

There's a lot of useless shuffling around in the Triton. Colette steps outside and throws a pulser into the new doorway in the side of the factory.

tactical_013.png

Meanwhile something interesting the Coelacanth finds. The man with the funny name and insists on calling himself by 3 letter initials steps out, orders the area to be cleared... and gasses thin air. He was trying to aim for the filing cabinet - but the shot detonates half way to its mark, though doesn't seem to have been obstructed by anything. Crestfallen, he marches back into the sub and lets Bernard Gaudin finish the job with a Sonic Pulser. The Coelacanth moves further back.

tactical_015.png

Colette's target seems to have wandered too far, but Bernard's grenade wipes out the filing cabinet Jose (NKF) wanted to blow up - and apparently the rest of the building too.

Turn 5

With so many dustclouds and one Gillman unacounted for, the Coelacanth surges ahead.

tactical_017.png

Some brilliant Gillman decides to fire a Shok bomb at the Coelacanth.

Turn 6

tactical_018.png

The Coelacanth ignores it and goes to check the burning corner of the factory.

tactical_019.png

Jose (NKF) turns his attention on the Shok Launcher bearer and lucks out again, hitting what seems like an invisible fence, where the chain link fence used to be. A second shot just flies off into the ether. Leon Guerin pelts at it with his Gauss Pistol to no effect. Colette steps in and a single aimed shot with the Blasta Rifle puts the Gillman out of its misery. These new weapons are turning out to be very valuable.

The Gillman inside the factory is seen wandering near the rails. From the brief glance the Coelacanth got, it appears unarmed. (in other words it's probably got Pulsers)

Turn 7

The Coelacanth moves in for a better look but has no room to fire at the Gillman inside the factory. It backs out. Other Aquanauts try to fire from their positions outside the Triton, but even though they appear to have a clear line of fire all the way, something's blocking them. Instead they fan out and the turn is ended.

A Gillman squad leader is reported to have started panicking.

Turn 8

tactical_022.png

The Coelacanth drives down the road along the factory and spots a Gillman at an upper level window. It could be the same one it spotted near the tracks. Better safe than sorry, the tank backs up into the dust cloud just behind it.

Leon Lefevre climbs the corrugated iron hut to get a sniper's point and spots the head of a Gillman on the other side behind the yellow rubbish skip. He kneels down while Bernard Gaudin throws his Pulser behind it.

tactical_023.png

Miraculously, though half the skip is blown off, the Gillman survives the attack.

The Gillman in the upper level of the factory moves away from the window.

Turn 9

tactical_025.png tactical_026.png

Leon Lefevre stands up, and though he cannot get a visual, he has located the injured Glilman and another alien in the distance. Bernard isn't strong enough to throw that far, so he tosses it to Jose (NKF). Frustrated at not having hit anything so far, he throws the pulser with all his might and it lands between the two hidden aliens.

tactical_027.png

The Coelacanth fires twice on the alien in the upper window. The first shot flies through the window and hits, but the Gillman remains standing. The second shot flies past the window and blows a hole through the bricks.

Jose (NKF)'s bad streak strikes again - the grenade explodes. It hits lots of stuff, but doesn't harm either alien.

A Gillman, presumably the one the Coelacanth hit, runs around in circles inside the factory.

Another Gillman Squad Leader is reported to have panicked.

Turn 10

tactical_028.png

Bernard spots a Deep One on the building on the other side of the Triton. Jose (NKF) walks away from the Triton to get a better angle at at it but misses. Leon Guerin arms his last Pulser and hands it to Micheline. Micheline lobs the grenade near the Deep One's feet.

tactical_030.png

Meanwhile, back on the rooftop, Leon Leferve can see the two aliens he saw on the last turn. They haven't moved, and don't appear to have seen him. He arms a Magna-Blast grenade and throws it at the furthest alien.

Not being able to see where the grenade has landed, he panics and runs off the side of the shack and falls next to Jose (NKF), who is so put off he doesn't say anything. "Glad you could drop in." Leon mimes as the turn ends.

Leon's grenade hit its mark, but doesn't do anything. "Time we phase out the Magna-Blasts?" Leon says to Jose(NKF)

Michelin's grenade on the other hand sends the Deep One and the roof to the moon.

The Gillman the Coelacanth has been stalking gets brave and throws a Sonic Pulser directly at the Coelacanth, with Bernard standing right beside it.

A Gillman Technician purportedly panics.

tactical_031.png

When the dreaded Pulser explodes - it blows up the roof of the nearby toll booth, which doesn't take a single scratch! Bernard lets off a huge sigh of relief. That was some wild throw!

Turn 11

tactical_032.png

The Coelacanth drives in the factory and attempts an extremely tricky shot. It succeeds but only stuns the Gillman.

Jose (NKF) climbs the stairs and takes a shot at the aliens Leon Lefevre threw his Magna-Blast grenade at earlier.

It misses. He's really jinxed. He ends the turn.

Just as he starts to think "I think I should get a desk job...", he gets pinned in the back and is "critically wounded", putting him out of the battle.

Bernard, who was protecting the Coelacanth is shot in the back as well.

Turn 12

tactical_034.png

Colette climbs the stairs and finds the Gillman that shot her two comrades in the back. She spies another one in the darkness, but it's too far to get.

tactical_035.png

Leon Guerin pulls out his Magna-Pack explosive and arms it. He hands it over to Henri Gautier, who is the strongest aquanaut in the team. He runs out of the Triton with the ticking bomb and throws it a bit far into a pile of old tires behind the Gillman.

Leon Lefevre goes back up the corrugated iron hut, and notices one of his quarries has moved away. Or is it another target?

The demolitions charge does its thing and wipes out the Gillman and the whole side of the building.

Turn 13

Leon Lefevre gets up and spots both his original quarry. He launches a three round Gauss Rifle burst at the nearest one over the side of the building and clips it in the back of the head with the second round. The Gillman falls.

tactical_037.png tactical_038.png

Micheline tries to attack Leon's second target, but her GC-HE clips something nearby and it detonates in her face, killing her instantly and giving Henri a very bad bleeding wound on his rump. He kneels, spins around and launches a snapshot with his Blasta Rifle and kills the Deep One Micheline was trying to attack.

Unfortuantely with a wounded aquanaut, we now have a limit of 23 turns to complete the mission or else he will die.

The incumbent Jose (NKF) raises a wobbly hand and says "Medikits. We should bring up Medikits at the next boardroom meeting." and goes unconscious again.

Before the turn ends, the Coelacanth is sent to check the alien in the building next to the Triton. Colette walks around the corrugated iron hut to get a better look at the land beyond.

Turn 14

Not a lot is done except some scouting.

A civilian is killed in plain sight, but with all the little brick buildings looking the same it's hard to tell which one it was.

Turn 15

Our munitions man Leon Guerin is killed with a reaction shot in the back to the head from the alien that the Coelacanth is trying to locate.

tactical_039.png

Leon Lefevre avenges his friend with a 6 round burst, the fifth shot connecting and killing the Gillman.

This unfortunately leaves Leon without time units, and Leon Guerin apparently had one remaining Magna-Blast grenade that I don't ever remember getting him to prime. It explodes beside Leon and he is badly hurt. This hastens the overall time limit to complete this mission.

Turn 16

Frantically the team spreads out looking for the last remaining alien survivors.

Turn 17

The Coelacanth catches a glimpse of the Gillman it was stalking in the factory by the upper window. It must have woken up. Two solid bolt rounds are fired but nothing connects. Henri is behind the Coelacanth and takes a shot, but misses. No one else can get an aim, so the turn is ended.

Turn 18

Henri fires with all his might, but his wooziness makes his shots fire wild. The Coelacanth drives closer, fires and misses.

Turn 19

An opportunistic reaction shot catches Colette in the side as she walks past a corner and she dies instantly.

tactical_041.png

The badly wounded Leon jumps down to find the assailant but doesn't get very far, and all that can be done is end the turn.

The alien that killed Colette throws a grenade near her body and destroys it instantly.

Turn 20

tactical_042.png

The Coelacanth gets close to the window and takes down the Gillman in one shot. Turns out there was a second (unarmed) Gillman in the factory.

tactical_043.png

With not a lot left to lose, Leon runs into the destroyed building to find Colette's murderer. He reaches the double-doors and finds the Gillman, but can't do anything. Henri does not have line of sight so cannot attack it. Instead he moves away from the Coelacanth and seeks to get a better shot. The turn ends.

Turn 21

tactical_044.png

Time ticking down further, Leon bursts through the doors of the building and sees two Deep Ones by the pier. Henri, having found an elevated position, kills one Deep One, Leon takes down the other with a Gauss rifle burst . The only problem now is that Gill Man that's still at large.

At the end of the turn a Deep One comes out of nowhere from the fenced off storage dump beside the Coelacanth and and launches a flurry of attacks on it. Thankfully no damage is done.

Just how many more are there?

Turn 22

tactical_045.png

The Coelacanth finishes off the Deep One with one well placed shot.

Leon's had it. His last turn ends and he dies from fatal wounds.

Turn 23

The Coelacanth finds the Gillman - it was hiding behind some boxes in the pier.

Henri, the last standing aquanaut out in the field (we've still got ol' Rodreigo guarding the Triton), arms a Magna-Blast and throws it over the fence.

The Magna Blast only harms the Gillman. It rearms its Sonic cannon and hits the Coelacanth.

Turn 24

tactical_046.png

Damaged, but still functional, the Coelacanth performs a combined assault with Henri. Henri throws another Magna Blast over, and the Coelacanth opens fire. The last Gillman falls and (unfortunately) the mission ends with a bang that destroys its corpse.

geoscape_000.png

Despite a loss of 6 aquanauts and one badly wounded, the Fort Severn port mission was a technical success, with a grand total of 367 points and a Good Rating.

Here's the file for whoever takes the next turn: GAME_1.zip

Note: We lost some of our equipment in the process. I've very certain we've lost both Gas Cannons and at least one Gauss Pistol. Just be mindful to check the Triton's armament before the next mission!

- NKF

Was unable to load the save in DOSBox, using either the patched or unpatched versions of the game, so I had to resort to CE. That means no video recording, and since my monitor is an LCD which can't handle the game's resolution without use of DOSBox, the top/bottom of the game display was hidden from me. Not like I don't know the interface better then my own reflection, so no real harm there.

I start off to find one soldier, Rodreigo, assigned to the Triton, both Barracudas in the repair bay. As soon as he arrives back at base I immediately pass him and Henri the two suits of aqua armour sitting in the stores. I'd've thought Hen happy to finally get protection but instead he suddenly looked tearful and muttered something about how no jury would ever convict him... ;)

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_01.png

The workshop looked a bit empty so I ordered another ten engineers and started to build another workshop as well. I considered building another lab and a further set of living quarters, but although our funds are reasonable, I thought I'd wait just a little longer.

Sold a few corpses, decided to leave most of the weapons and junk sitting in the stores. For now we've got both room and money, and they can be instantly liquidated later should the need arise. Best to keep them for now in case we suddenly find an actual use for it all. Ordered another gas cannon and HWP.

I'm a bit mystified as to why we have so many gauss rifles. A dozen I can understand - we'd want to be able to quickly restock if a mission wipes - but three dozen? Ah well, it'd probably make more sense if I could be bothered to count up all the troopers we've got.

Diverted research away from the Ion Beam Accelerators. Sure, Ion Armour would be nice to have, but I doubt we'll want to make heaps of it. Likewise, I deem improved craft weapons to be more important then improved craft. Polished off medkits and started work on the Sonic Cannons.

The first UFO to arrive went unopposed, my attack craft refuelling and rearming, respectively. It buzzed around a bit but didn't land. The second, a small craft, met a DUP and in due course the Triton was sent over to pick up the pieces. By now, I had ten troops in armour with medkits, plus one of the HWPs.

More gillmen as it turns out. First kill to Miguel. Didn't I get a "Miguel" killed last turn? Ah, how time flies...

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_02.png

Didn't take long to find the enemy sub.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_03.png

Guido shot and killed an alien the HWP entirely failed to see. Those things aren't very good at peaking over obstructions, such as the nose of the Triton. He later shot the HWP about four times while trying to hit some other alien, but he entirely failed to damage it. The alien got a few hits in but only managed some superficial scratches on the paint job.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_04.png

I planted a couple of units in front of the alien sub, and to my annoyance they opened the door during their turn and started shooting. Luckily they entirely failed to do anything.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_05.png

Rodreigo (no, not that Rodreigo) took one out but fell to reaction fire. Miguel (yes, that Miguel) avenged him from long range. That left Annette at the craft, feeling lucky I'd never given in to the urge to have her blast away at point blank range with her explosive rounds.

The last alien took some pot shots at my tank then ran away, leaving him entirely open for a shot up the rear from Rodreigo (... yes, that Rodreigo). He fell unconscious and that was that.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_06.pngtftdmulti_bb_turn02_07.png

So there you have it, a trivial mission with an unspectacular outcome. Sonic weapon research proceeds and the techs are spitting out a small reserve of armour. There's also a project to make yet more gauss weapons for who knows what reason, though as mentioned, we've got tons of the things already.

GAME_1.zip

What luck! Didn't I ask for the first shipping route terror mission? I did didn't I! Did I get it? I did didn't I! Did I regret getting it? You'll have to read on and see won't you!!! I have 38 pics with this so expect 3 posts, unless I'm able to cut it down to 2 but losing 8 pics is a pretty tall order...

Anyway on with the show.

My first job in the hotseat was to awaken myself from the sickbay after the unfortunate episode with the aquatoid last time I went out so I ordered in precisely 1 new aquanaut. Research also finished on the Sonic cannon so I put them onto the ammo, come on sonic oscillators...

Time flew by with no events at all and despite peaks in alien activity all were now normal so not long into my turn it was the end of the month. We did very well with increased funding across the board! The USA are absolutely ecstatic with us according to the graphs and even Eurasia is happier with us this time round.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/01.jpg

Not long after this I was informed that aliens had terrorised a shipping root and I became both very lucky to have the first one and very unlucky to have one at all! I removed the tank from the Triton which is utterly useless here and replaced it with more soldiers. I started with an empty vessel and attempted to fill the craft with the better troops as I knew we were up for a tough ride here. When the Triton set off the site was in sunlight but as I approached the night fell and an already difficult job became that little bit harder!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/02.jpg

I sent along rookie 'me' with about 4 troopers with 20 bravery but all the rest were better so I've got a decent team with me. Everyone was armed with Blasta rifles and 2 reloads each while every other man had a medkit and the remaining space was packed with pulsers. Everything else was removed due to the bug regarding 2-part levels. I thought it better to oversupply the troops just in case the enemies had cannons which we can't use, would've been nice to have more pulsers though. The final arrangement for me is below and everyone else was the same except for medkits.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/03.jpg

We arrive on site and immediately 4 men in two teams move to secure the LZ. Munty and Rodreigo move to the portside of the ship while Jurgen and friend move forward. I say friend because his buddy died from sonic fire in the first hidden movement so I didn't even get a chance to learn his name!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/04.jpg

In the next turn Rodreigo spots a Gillman by the stairs to the next level but a snap shot misses causing reaction fire that's way too close for comfort. Miguel peers out from the Triton and places a wave of sonic through the green critter's skull and then moves out to join Jurgen, replacing his dead friend. As the first 2 teams continue to spread out, a third leaves the triton consisting of Jacques and Danny. Danny stops to collect 'nades from the unknown soldier but is shot from the roof in the alien phase and dies!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/05.jpg

Virgil now leaves the Triton and joins up with Jacques and makes it to the ships rear bulkhead, escaping the 50% mortality rate from troopers exiting the craft! In the hidden movement something is thrown but there is no sound, explosion or item to be seen next turn so it's ignored... Jurgen and Miguel have moved to the starboard side of the vessel and after clearing a small room on the landing deck they move towards the bulkhead. Jurgen spots a Deep One on the next level but has no TUs so runs for cover. Miguel covers him and lobs a sonic pulser at the pale alien which decimates it at the end of the turn.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/06.jpg

Munty and Rodreico have meanwhile moved into the portside cabins and whilst covering a doorway the new me scores a reaction fire kill in the alien turn! An additional Deep One is also spotted on the roof just meters from the last one but no enemy fire takes place.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/07.jpg

As Jaques and Virgil secure the vessel's central cabins they open a door on yet another Deep One but Jacques manages to squeeze off a snapshot in the aliens face and subsequently plasters its brain all over the wall. Jurgen, still outside, throws another grenade onto the weakened deck above and in doing so spots yet another Deep one on the portside of the deck above! Miguel spots it too and lands a legendary snap shot from right across the vessel! The Deep One wails and drops like a stone.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/08.jpg

The grenade on the roof polishes off the new Deep One and the corpse of his friend and with the Landing Zone as clear as it's going to get, Tim and Guido leave the Triton and make a move towards the steps to the next level. Munty and Rodreigo have continued along the portside of the vessel and are now moving in single file along some unpleasantly narrow corridors while Miguel and Jurgen can't enter the vessel to starboard so move to join up with Jacques and Virgil in the central cabins. They quickly spot an incredibly sneaky Gillman hiding ON the flightdeck with a sonic cannon! Tim turns to the new contact but a poor shot allows the Gillman to return fire and the cannon makes short work of his armour and organs... After some more misses from the safety of the Triton Otto places a grenade at the aliens feet and it's obliterated at the end of the turn.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/10.jpg

Annette and Otto now join with Guido by the stairs and prepare to storm the upper deck, Annette having already primed a grenade last turn but failing to throw it at the gillman commando! Meanwhile Jurgen and Miguel make it to the central rooms with Jacques and Virgil who have finished clearing paths to starboard. Rodreigo rounds a particularly blind corner and spots a Deep One in the distance so he takes a shot but misses. He ducks into a nearby corridor to allow Munty to fire but more misses result in my retreat back around the corner!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/11.jpg

As the 4 troopers in the centre of the vessel continue to search the cabins they find themselves in a kitchen where they enjoy sandwiches and take a moment to regroup. The 2 doors west of them provide the only enemy access including the stairs to top deck and Rod's corridor! The corridor in question is meanwhile empty and the Deep One seems to have vanished. Otto, Annette and Guido move up the stairs now and immediately Guido spots 2 Gillmen AND a Deep One having some sort of alien group hug. Annette places her already primed grenade right at their feet and then scurries back down the steps while Guido takes cover by some crates!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/13.jpg

In the next hidden movement the Deep One in the corridor returns briefly so, armed with knowledge of his location, Rodreigo moves along his secret hallway to surprise the creature. He opens a door mere feet away from the creature and promptly lands a snap shot in the side of it's ugly head. The troopers in the kitchen have now finished their snack and soon emerge into the same corridor that Rodreigo is now looking along while Annette's grenade kills all 3 aliens they'd seen AND a fourth they didn't even know was there!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/12.jpg

Rodreigo now returns to his secret hallway and spots a seemingly unarmed gillman in the hidden movement. He chases it along the corridor and soon relocates it while Munty, not far behind, spots the back of a cannon wielding gillman in the last cabin he checks. Rodreigo takes a shot at his target but puts a neat hole in the wall behind it instead. He promptly ducks out of the room again just as Munty does the same, a shot at the cannon wielder hitting but having no effect.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/14.jpg

After an alien turn which I was expecting to be horrendous I'm almost as surprised as Otto and Annette to see the Gillman they were standing on up and about again! Otto blasts him in the guts and is rewarded with the sight of them covering his boots.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/15.jpg

Going pretty well so far I think. Only lost 3 troopers and all of them were suffered while leaving the Triton! Still a long way to go yet but at this point I felt pretty good about myself, let's see if my luck holds ;)

Ok, no rest for the wicked, it took me 3 hours to play the damn thing so I may as well get the posting over and done with too! And I know, that does seem like a long time but I guess the picture taking, alt-tabbing and note-taking fleshes it out a lot...

So we're still on the deck but the good progress so far sugegsts it shouldn't be a problem getting the troops inside. Only 3 casualties so far so still 11 men left! So let's continue...

With the sleepwalking gillman on deck taken care of we'd best get back to Rodreigo and Munty who are miraculously still alive belowdecks. Rodreigo opens the door again and is immediately face to face with his gillman so he quickly dispenses a faceful-o-noise that quite literally blows his mind. Munty is currently camped outside the last cabin hoping the gillman inside will come to him but in the hidden movement a Deep one has turned up in the hallway. It's quite a way away so he calls in Jurgen to surprise it from the doorway. The German promptly delivers and blasts the alien to pieces at point blank range. Munty then proceeds with his cowardly shooting in the back of the remaining gillman and is rewarded with not one, but two screams of death, as a previously hidden gillman immediately blasts him back for interrupting a scintillating conversation.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/16.jpg

With Annette's marvellous grenade placement having so successfully cleared the upper deck, Guido risks a quick dash across to cover on the starboard side but reaction fire from an unseen alien knocks him out in the middle of the vessel. Andrei and Emilio, the last 2 aquanauts in the Triton, now leave to collect up the weapons of their fallen brethren (as they'll otherwise be lost due to the 2-parter bug) and over the next few turns they amass a veritable armoury between them. The four troopers from the kitchen are now covering the stairs up into the bridge and sweeping the last unchecked corridors while Otto and Annette move up to the top deck to revive Guido but instead locate a Gillman and a Deep One right near the bow. They take cover and bide their time.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/17.jpg

In the next turn Rodreigo and Jurgen take up positions either side of Munty's twitching body while Miguel enters the front cabins through the hole Rodreigo made and proceeds to the bow belowdecks. As Annette and Otto attempt to reach better positions to bombard the 2 enemies they spotted last turn, a distant groan from Guido says it's all over for this trooper. Otto is furious and he hurls a pulser at the two monsters, ripping the Deep One to pieces but not harming the Gillman. Miguel continues towards the bow and manages to walk three squares towards this Deep One before its sprite becomes visible...

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/18.jpg

Luckily he has enough time units for a snap shot that cleaves the beast in twain but his clever plan to spot the Gillman through the cabins porthole fails as he is unable to see a thing through the filthy glass... There are shots fired on deck which seem to originate from the bow but both Annette and Otto are in cover and remain safe. On the next turn Annette takes a chance by breaking cover with no grenade and is completely in the open when she spots the Gillman who's been shooting at her and Otto. She risks it all and squeezes off a snapshot which connects beautifully, ending the creatures sniping.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/19.jpg

Miguel now moves into the forward cargo handling area as the window idea hadn't worked out so well... He soon spots a Gillman with his back turned and a well placed grenade makes sushi of him at the end of the turn. Virgil and Jacques, who had been covering the bridge access, now ascend the stairs and Virgil spots an unarmed, presumably previously unconscious gillman. An aimed shot finds it's target and the sea-monkey is put to rest permanently.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/20.jpg

Over the next few turns every area of the ship is called in as being clear. The bridge is checked but only the dead captain is found. Miguel clears the rest of the bow and everyone commences with retrieving as many artifacts as they can carry, putting off the prospect of entering the front cabin again...

Miguel now has another ingenious idea however and attempts to breach the back wall of the cabin as the Gillman is still looking the other way. He succeeds but after priming his grenade he can't throw it and the Gillman shoots him on the next turn... Jurgen, furious at this turn of events, storms into the cabin and fills the ancient life-form full of soundwaves. As his intenal organs begin to dissolve, the mission ends and we're successful...

Well, we're half successful anyway! With 6 men down and 8 remaining it's time for the next part of this mission.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/21.jpg

The troops have done a brilliant job gathering weapons from the fallen on both sides and this is the scene after my agents are rearmed for the next round. Each one has the same gear they began with and most have an extra grenade each. Despite 6 lost troopers we haven't lost a single piece of gear (well maybe a medkit or two) so all we need to do now is survive long enough to enjoy the spoils of war!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/22.jpg

Right I've had a little break, still no food though, so I'm back for the last instalment. What do you reckon? Victory or death?!? Either way here it comes!

So here we are inside and I'm immediately terrified of this massive open space right in front of my aquanauts who are for some reason standing in a big clump with no cover... I immediately move them all to the walls and away from enemies, praying to Cthulu that noone throws a grenade at me!!! In the hidden movement we somehow manage to spot a Gillman run along a gantry above us and a civilian dies. We spend a few turns trying to break out of the access lift in teams of 2 but everyone soon gets rather scattered, using the containers for cover.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/23.jpg

Emilio spots a trapped Deep One up a few levels but due to it's inability to move he ignores it for now. He's aware of an alien in the container next to him so he checks that instead and, on being presented a Deep One for a target, he redecorates the container with it's backside. Andrei moves out and soon spots a Gillman right on the other side of the ship and 3 levels up. In a stunning display of marksmanship he takes it down from miles away with a single aimed shot to the temple!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/24.jpg

Having also spotted a Deep One on top of a small container further into the room and another one to the portside, more troops emerge from their staring place and Annette and Otto team up again for some killing. Otto takes position against a wall but fails to hit anything after 2 shots. Annette does equally poorly and with both of them rather revealed they begin to worry a little... After an inactive hidden movement no shots are fired however and Annette proceeds to cut a neat hole in the first Deep One with a single sonic snapshot.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/25.jpg

On the same turn, Otto throws one of his pulsers out from his cover to the last known Deep One in the room, except the trapped one above. A gillman that was spotted near this Deep One last turn is now gone so Otto holds his breath and sure enough the explosion claims 2 lives for the price of 1! In the alien turn a gillman and another Deep One are spotted through the doorway to the next room but although shots are fired none are close to the Commies.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/26.jpg

By this time Jacques has found an ingenious use for the shipping containers and is stood in one that looks into the next room, using the door as cover when the turn ends. He peeks out and spots the Deep One but not the Gillman from hidden movement letting off a wide snapshot before closing the door again! Andrei, Virgil and Emilio are all in cover near to Jacques-in-the-box and a well thrown grenade from Emilio puts a gillman out of the game!

Jacques pokes his head out again next turn and spots both the Deep One and a gillman this time. He takes an aimed shot that misses and a snap shot which hits the Deep One, killing it dead! Unfortunately the door must now stay open as Jacques is all out of TUs but he's pleased with himself so not too bothered. Virgil now breaks from the cover of the containers and moves to the small room that formerly sported a Deep One. On turning around he spots a Deep One on the top of the Access lift! He radios it in to Andre who nimbly pops out of the room below the alien and pops it in the head. In the alien turn, another Gillman appears in the next room and combined fire from the pair brings down Jacques who now wishes he'd used 2 snap shots and shut the door after...

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/27.jpg

Next turn, Otto and Annette rejoin the battle having spent a few turns back in the safety of the access lift. They move to investigate the portside of the large sotre-room, Virgil having spotted a gillman there in the hidden movement, and Otto places a grenade where he hopes it will finish the swine off. Anne moves across to starboard and takes cover in the containers while Virgil and Andrei begin moving towards the next room and it's contents of at least 2 gillmen. Emilio spots one of these Gillmen with a shok launcher but misses with an aimed shot. Otto and Annette move into the port-bow after the grenade thrown last turn makes paste of the gillman.

After another turn of ineffective alien fire from the next room, Emilio takes anotehr aimed shot at the shok-trooper but misses again. Virgil decides to help out a colleague and lobs a pulser around the corner of his current cover which promplty eradicates both Gillmen! Mysteriosuly however Virgil is also dead at the beginning of the next turn, presumably a lucky shot from the trapped Deep One who shouldn't even be able to see him!

Andrei and Emilio now proceed into the next room and spot a Deep One to their right. Andrei misses with an aimed and snap shot but Emilio saves the day, killing it with a perfectly placed snapshot. Rodreigo and Jurgen now leave the access lift for the first time and Jurgen manages to walk up some stairs and through the floor onto the next deck! He then falls down an invisible hole however and ends up behind Jurgen who was already trying to catch up to him... Annette and Otto move up to the next deck in support of the now absent Jurgen and immediately Annette spots a Gillman in the distance. Deciding to take better positions beore engaging she moves to cover but Otto who climbs the stairs right after her is killed by reaction fire!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/29.jpg

Andrei and Emilio have now reached the engine room but a glance through the starboard entrance reveals a Gillman and Deep One so they decide to attempt to flank the aliens through the portside door. Annette now attempts a similar tactic and moves to flank the gillman that killed Otto but before she can so much as prime her grenade she is killed by reaction fire! Jurgen uses this distraction to move into a position where he can finally subdue this rogue gillman and finally manages to land a grenade a few meters away from the beast.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/30.jpg

Jurgen's grenade finally puts an end to the monsters reign of terror and the alien turn is becoming increasingly short, as is the supply of XCom operatives in play... Rodreigo and Jurgen take cover in some nearby containers and wait for word from the engine room but not before an accurate snap-shot polishes off the trapped Deep One, the last known alien in the bow section of the vessel.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/31.jpg

Andrei and Emilio have entered the engine room again from the port-side now and take cover behind one of the engines. In the alien turn the Deep One in the engine room kills a civilian in plain view and Andrei and Emilio continue to sneak along the engine room in the XCom turm. Spotting the Deep One still in the same location, Andrei attempts to toss a grenade up onto the gantry but the steelwork gets in the way and it falls short, destroying a large chunk of engine. He falls back to cover and readies another grenade while Emilio is also busy priming his ordnance.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/33.jpg

In the alien turn, movements of both aliens are revealed and the Gillman is seen approaching Emilio's position with an angry looking Sonic cannon. Valuing his life highly, Emilio lobs his primed grenade just past the corner of the last engine and the explosion makes a mess of the Gillman and much of the floor and walls. Andrei steps out to take a risky shot at the Deep One and after a few attempts is successful in bringing it down. The game is still not over however and both men move to the next deck, covering hallways and doorways and continuing to work in a pair as has served them so well this far.

Jurgen and Rodreigo, realising there is still more work to be done, come out of hiding and move into the corridor network that the other 2 troopers are now exploring. Soon they make contact and the squad assembles as one to continue with the task at hand. Andrei opens a door he was guarding to reveal a Deep One and quickly eradicates it. The game still doesn't end though so the squad continues to clear the area and no more hostiles are found.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/34.jpg

Andrei holds his position while the other 3 troopers move towards him until only one room is left unchecked. He moves up to the final door but his reactions aren't quick enough when a Gillman opens the door before him and he's killed with a single shot. On the next turn Rodreigo opens the door he was guarding, right behind where Andrei had falln, and comes face to face with the murderous monster. He makes sure his rifle is touching alien flesh before he fires off a round which is entirely successful at ending another aliens life.

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/35.jpg

As if they hadn't seen enough death for the day there was still more to be done and with this deck clear there was only one level left so they quickly moved up again. Emilio spots another Gillman at the top of the stairs and hurls an already primed pulser at its feet. The turn is ended when cover is found and shortly after so is the Gillman though there are still more enemies to be found!!!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/36.jpg

The three remaining troopers from an original eleven are all exhausted but continue to pus on, quickly clearing most of the floor. Jurgen watches an unchecked doorway while Rodreigo finds a toilet block which could provide endless opportunities for reaction fire so he chooses to wait outside. Emilio opens the final door to reveal some sort of control room and yet another cannon wielding gillman. Despite holding a primed grenade, he's cautious of reaction fire and instead risks a careful aimed shot. His luck lasts the day and as the Gillman drops, the mission is finally over!!!

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/37.jpg

Now I know I've lost a lot of good men and I apologise... But check out this score ;)

https://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/Tim_Munt/TFTD%20playthrough/38.jpg

Given our monthly score of 800-something I think 500-something is pretty good for one mission!

Try this for a link Game1.zip