Fallout 3 interview / preview from E3 2007

Slaughter

Mike Nino went to this year's E3 as StrategyCore's reporter, and Fallout 3 was one of the titles he had a look at. Sitting through a 45 minute presentation with Q&A afterwards, he got some great information about the game from lead designer Emil Pagliarulo. We would like to thank Emil for his answers, and No Mutants Allowed for providing parts of the questions!

s_Pip_boy.jpg s_Dialogue.jpg s_Headshot.jpg

SC: So is the DC Brotherhood of Steel the same Brotherhood of Steel that was on the West Coast? Is it nationwide?

EP: You’re the only person that asked me that question. I'm surprised that no one else has. Let me just say that its come up a lot that "How did the Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel get on the East Coast?". We answer those questions in the game and there's a reason why they're there. They are somehow connected to the other Brotherhood of Steel but we cover those bases within the game. (Note: it appears that the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 is not the West Coast one but an offshoot that was mentioned in Fallout: Tactics. In that game, a blimp expedition from the West Coast was sent over the Rockies to follow the retreating Super Mutants. The lead blimp crashes near Chicago and the survivors set up their own version of the Brotherhood of Steel. It may be that BOS that is battling the Super Mutants in DC, or maybe another one created by the blimps that did not crash in Chicago but continued eastward. Just an educated guess...)

You can read all about how playing Fallout 3 without VATS can be compared to Deus Ex and more in our interview!

What's your take on Fallout 3? Could a game similar to Deus Ex using this setting be interesting?

From the little I've seen it does look good (love that screenshot of the head popping). I think one of the main concerns was graphical style rather than quality, but they seem to have both.

Although I'm a turn-based fanatic, there have been a few games that have used the real-time but pause anytime style successfully, and I think the option to not use the VATS and play it all in real time is rather good, as it will make easy encounters go by faster, surely?

The level of character development looks okay, seven attributes each affecting 2/3 skills/stats. Not a massive amount, but room to move, certainly.

It definitely sounds like it has replay value, being able to go back and explore different quests and different ways of completing them, ferreting out and constructing your own weapons. I applaud the idea that no character is too important to kill. You should be able to kill everybody and it should have consequences each time you do kill someone.

I weren't too interested in this game until I read the "Deus Ex 1" comment in the interview. If they can make something close to the first Deus Ex, I'll enjoy myself! Remains to be seen how advanced they make it however. If it lands closer to Deus Ex Invisible War than Deus Ex, I'm out.

@FullAuto: Yeah, I agree with you on killing everyone (and the rest for that matter). The freedom of Fallout is one of it's many strengths, and a very essential part!

I've been saying that this game is more an attempt to pick up the Deus Ex/System Shock style of gaming and take it to another level for quite some time now. It has a bit of Oblivion, a bit of Fallout, a bit of Gears of war, but the filliation seems to be mostly on the Deus Ex school, which makes sense, since Emil worked at Looking Glass and Ion Storm.

That makes it interesting to follow, but that doesn't mean (quite the contrary) that it will be a Fallout sequel. Tough luck for me, but that's life.

Always good to see you Slaughter, check my blog here with info about Fallout 3.

I've been saying that this game is more an attempt to pick up the Deus Ex/System Shock style of gaming and take it to another level for quite some time now. It has a bit of Oblivion, a bit of Fallout, a bit of Gears of war, but the filliation seems to be mostly on the Deus Ex school, which makes sense, since Emil worked at Looking Glass and Ion Storm.

Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up! Emil seems like a good guy, and what he said in the interview was quite interesting.

That makes it interesting to follow, but that doesn't mean (quite the contrary) that it will be a Fallout sequel. Tough luck for me, but that's life.

I agree that it would be better if they didn't call it Fallout 3. Since it is so different from the two first ones, if would be better to do as tactics did.

That being said, I think it's a shame that parts of the community is so hostile. I understand that people are disappointed we'll not get isometric and turn-based, and everyone that feels that way should tell Bethesda so in a constructive manner.

When that is done, people should provide useful feedback on Bethesda's current project in the Fallout setting to make it the best it can be. Bad-mouthing Bethesda and Fallout 3 accomplishes nothing, and I understand that Bethesda do not tolerate it.

Always good to see you Slaughter, check my blog here with info about Fallout 3.

I'll be sure to check out your blog, thanks for the heads up! Hope you are doing well!

Just as a note, in the July 2007 issue of GameInformer magazine there is a 10 page cover story on Fallout 3. It's quite a read with short interviews from a lot of the development team (including Emil). Of course, most of the 10 pages is reserved for pictures with an impressive one detailing The Fatman: "a handheld nuclear catapult". :)

Being a complete noob to this series, I am contemplating looking into this further. It might not be exactly the same as the other Fallout games and it may borrow ideas from Elder Scrolls, but from where I am sitting it is interesting (that says a lot). Still, this game is coming out, when? Fall 2008? That's a long way off, and a lot of things can happen between now and then. Bethesda does listen to constructive feedback (which is a rare trait of developers these days) from the gaming community, so things may still change. :)

- Zombie

You know what they say about video: it adds 5 kilos to you! It my case, its more like 15, but what can I say. I did re-order some of the questions & answers, so it won't play out the same way I wrote it down.