UFO MOD Beta version for download

hatfarm

So, I'm putting up my beta version of my UFO MOD. I'm still working on the item editor but the rest of it should work right. I'm wanting to make it pretty powerful, being able to edit pretty much everything about the game (I'm going to be devoting a lot of time trying to figure the research tree). I'd like to hear what people think of the layout, of the features and also get some input on anything I might not have thought of. Thanks.

The download is:

https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/ufomod.zip

ps- thanks to bomb bloke and NKF for info and assistance. Also, this must be placed in your ufo.exe directory. And it only works for CE (dos version coming soon).

Wow! That is fantastic! Well done mate! :P

I do have a few comments however. First of all, the information screen when you load the editor shows for about a second, so I can never see what it says. Guess that isn't such a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it. No use in having it if I can't read it.

Second, when you load, you should be given a "Choose file" dialogue if it can't find ufo.exe (either way in fact). What happened to me (my .exe is called UFO Defense.exe) is that it couldn't find the .exe, and gave an error message on that. In addition, it created a ufo.exe by itself, that I couldn't delete even if I closed the program. Slightly annoying :D

Third, you should refine the GUI a little. I would suggest a tab at the top for each ability of the editor. Soldier names, Base editor and so on that can easily be switched between, and that all have the same sized windows.

Fourth, some more documentation coming with the editor, and help inside the editor would be good. Now it didn't take me long to find out that if I clicked the storage items in the right hand window, I could edit the numbers I'd have in storage, but it would still be nice with a little text or something explaining this.

Well, that's a few things from my first impression. If I find more time, I'll test it a little closer. I'll also put up a news post on this.

It used to have a choose file, but I stopped when I had it load all the other files. It got tedious to have to locate all four files. I guess I should still do that for the ufo.exe.

As far as the information screen, I think I'm going to have a .cfg file for the program and will make the length of it adjustable. I was just afraid people would be annoyed by it if it was there for too long.

The documentation is something I'm going to work on more when it's closer to finish. However, a majority of the features have a Tool Tip Text which means if you hold your mouse over it for a second or two it'll give you some info. I will hopefully have some sort of help file with the program when it's closer to being done. Thanks so much for the input.

I'll work on the GUI a bit to see what I can do but it makes it easier for me to have different windows (that way I can create and recreate the same objects, but I guess I can do that anyway with better coding). I want this program to have a little bit more style than my saved game editor so I'll be working on the GUI a bit more. I'm trying to talk my room mate (who made a Magic the Gathering trading program for AOL a long time ago) into helping me with this as I thougt his program had a great GUI. Anyway, Thanks again.

LATE EDIT: Thanks for the news post. The screen shots were a pleasant surprise. I'm also planning on making a patching program for distribution of modifications so you don't have to send the actual .exe out, as that might be illegal. Thanks again.

UPDATE:

I have implemented the tabs. It's a lot of code in one file and will actually increase the size of the download a bit (I had to use a new .ocx). I'm also working on a help file right now. I'll have this done this weekend and I'll also have the item editor finished. Thanks one more time. I'll post when I've got more.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got it ready for the dos version 1.2 and 1.4 is almost done. I'm probably not going to have it usable on 1.0 simply because I don't have a copy of it. Mine is 1.2 and I can use the patch for 1.4. Anyway, it'll be here soon. Probably by weeks end.

• 3 months later...
Would love an editor that just had an option that let your soldiers have 5% or 10% or 20%, etc improvement in all their stats as well as the randomize and increase ALL soldiers to HIGHEST stats that they all editors seem to currently include. I don't want the hassle of going to each soldier and changes all the stats. It is the battle I would like to make a little easier, but not either the same as the original or so easy the game becomes a walkthrough rather than a challenge. Any editor out there do that? Absolutely not a programmer and have only owned all the x-com games as of this summer (won them all on ebay for £16 including P&P and they're all the big box versions!!!)

I think I saw an editor which is pretty good for soldiers. Right, so I added it to our files section. It's called "UFOSAVED". For the soldier editor, it has the following options:

• Copy Skills and Armor
  • All soldiers like this one
  • All soldiers greatest
  • This soldier greatest
  • Random skills close to greatest

It doesn't have the random skills for all soldiers, but at least you have some interesting options. Hope that helps. :)

- Zombie