Whats doing FAMILIARITY ??? (weapon desription)

Vlada

• 3 months later...

In the end, I didn't even worry about Famialarrisation. I just used whichever weapon caused the most damage and used Careful shots. Seemed to work pretty well...

I couldn't work out if it was better to use a weapon that cause a maximum or 30 damage with 10 Famialirity or a weapon that does 33 damage with 0 Famialirity.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Biggles is right.

I had Zinaida use her scoped moisin rifle through most of the game ... she had a whopping 8 in familiarity and combined with increased damage and always inflict critical became a one shot death machine. I get a lot of headshots without even having to aim for it.

Familiarity can make a huge difference. I found that high fam. can as much as double your hit percentage for certain shots, effectively, as Bigles noted, doubling your damage as well. You'd need to upgrade to one heck of a new weapon if you wanted to double your damage through a weapon's stat.

I have also never experienced fam. loss from dropping a weapon or putting it away. A character can become unconscious, and he he'll still have the same fam. if you keep the weapon and give him the correct one again.

However, I'm still unsure how exactly fam. is gained. It seems to increase for each use of the 'fire' command rather than for the time spend firing the weapon. Rifles used with snap shots seem to become familiar very quick, while rifles used with snipe mode or careful shots are slower. MG's aren't the fastest either I think if you use them in long bursts.

And of course remember that many characters have stuff like Increased Familiarity, Force of Habit and Faster Familiarization as early perks. That way, a sniper for example can have a fam. 4 rifle and actually experience a familiarity bonus of 8. I once got it as high as 14, times two :)

This is why I use the "getitem" console command so that my guys (and gals) you use the same weapon throughout the campaign and thus gain the maximum familiarity. I have numerous posts on my feelings about how the game handles this so I'll not mention it again here. I am curious if familiarity applies to a single weapon or all of the same kind. I haven't tried it but if you swap your thompson for another identical thompson do you lose all your fam?

AFAIK, you lose it all and in any case, which is of course not totally realistic and at times quite annoying if you have to match the right weapon with the right guy even though the all look the same and aren't marked in any way.

Well, Guido, it may not be totally unrealistic to lose all familiarity while swapping an identical weapon.

A weapon may be the same but not totally due to manufacturing differentials which may add or take away the weapon's aim.

A real case in point is a comment from Shifty Powers, a sniper in the 506th PIR in WWII. He has an extraordinary aim and swore by his beatup M1 which has a small defect in the barrel. He was reprimanded so many times for that defect that he eventually traded the rifle in for an identical new one. Then he found that he has lost his unreal aim and complained he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.