Interesting articles

Is this the best thread for this?

Anyway, Gaming Daily are currently running a blog diary of a play through of X-Com.

Part 1: Initial Set up

Part 2: First Contact

Part 3: Arms Dealing for Fun and Profit

Part 4: Terror Down Under

I find it very depressing that people writing for established games blogs admit to being too young to be playing X-COM on original release.

He's also playing it on Beginner if I'm any judge.

• 3 weeks later...
Eric Schmidt Dreams Of A Future Where You're Never Lonely, Bored, Or Out Of Ideas

In the future, I will not exist, then. Basically.

It's amazing how connected we're all becoming. Smartphones, iPads, Kindles, etc are quickly becoming technology that more and more people own and carry with them all the time. How long until we start getting stuff implanted?

• 2 months later...

Quite an interesting read, but... um. If the kid had started checking out the mission markers, that "innocence" wouldn't've lasted long. Free-roam under parental supervision is one thing, but it'd be a really good idea to hide the disc when Daddy isn't around to play with the boy.

And, because I've played the game to death, I feel the need to point out that you couldn't deal drugs in SA if you wanted to. It takes quite a negative stance towards them as part of the main plot.

And, because I've played the game to death, I feel the need to point out that you couldn't deal drugs in SA if you wanted to. It takes quite a negative stance towards them as part of the main plot.

That's pretty much the entirety of the plot. Also, despite your choices when talking to any of the dealers, you'll always always go hostile on them. Which is fine, because they carry a *x-rated expletive deleted* load of cash on them.

Quite an interesting read, but... um. If the kid had started checking out the mission markers, that "innocence" wouldn't've lasted long. Free-roam under parental supervision is one thing, but it'd be a really good idea to hide the disc when Daddy isn't around to play with the boy.

Seems to me like the kid would have refused to do the tasks required. If he's morally against jacking a car, he's not going to burgle a house or carry out a dri' by. The point I believe the writer is making quite effectively is that humans usually have morals, and playing games does not instantly corrupt those morals. Which is at odds with what the media says 90-95% of the time. Just because you go on a killing spree in GTA does not mean you are any more likely to do it in real life, unless you're a nutter who is going to go on a killing spree anyway.

Lovely knee-jerk reaction from an idiot.

• 2 months later...

Article

(...) data strongly suggests that there's something strange going on with top-antitop quark production in higher energy collisions. The obvious question is what. The leading theoretical candidates aren't the usual sorts of things people talk about finding with the LHC, like a supersymmetric particle or the Higgs boson. Instead, the possibilities seem to be extra dimensions or exotic particles.

::

Good thing some of us have actual other-dimensional training from X-Com Apocalypse then... :)

• 4 weeks later...

A digital (dis)Connection

Perhaps somewhere on the way to the merger of the online and offline world, we had all stepped across a line without knowing it.

(...)

Then the moment passes, the BlackBerrys and iPhones are reholstered, and we return to being humans again after a brief trance.

::

It may well be we are seeing the last remnants of true human connection...

• 2 months later...

Terrible ideas from great developers.

And, featuring first place is the single reason I can't play Oblivion :P

Oblivion's Level Scaling

Even though Bethesda's epic Elder Scrolls IV was released five years ago, it still manages to hold its own as one of the best role playing games of this generation, even against top-notch newcomers like Dragon Age II and Fable III. But between the countless quests, epic scenery, and Patrick Stewart lies a horrible problem: Bethesda's awful level scaling system.

Unlike other RPGs, the NPCs of Tamriel level up alongside the player, so that the same level of difficulty is retained throughout the game. That's the theory, at least. The extent to which you can customise your character in regards to certain skills

• 2 months later...
Aww, lovely article. Give that man some extra AP.

:P :P ;)

@Thorondor: thanks for the link. I like it when the debate is dancing around a resolution whether a theme is alive or dead and in reality it is vibrant and all around. https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/beer_girls.gif

• 2 weeks later...