Free games, on us!

Pete

That was a crafty way to get your attention, but rest-assured there is a chance to get a free game or two if you read on.

Firstly, apologies to any guests wanting to post replies to news posts or articles recently; due to a blip on the post screen there's a chance you've not been able to post for a long while now. This has now been rectified, and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies (and please do leave us some comments).

Now on to the interesting bit. We're after suggestions for improvement again. We want to know what you think we could do better. This is an open question and we're after any serious suggestions whatsoever, but here are a few things to think about that just happened to be rattling around in my brain:

• What sorts of games you think we should be writing about (feel free to list any specific titles, old or new)?
  • What can we do to increase participation on the site and the forums in particular? We have many "lurkers" but they don't post (nor do many members for that mater) - what are we doing wrong?
  • Would you be more likely to participate if we ran regular competitions on the forums (and indeed would this entice you to post in other topics, not just to enter a competition and then sneak off >:])?
  • Would you like to see more articles, more often, and would you be more inclined to comment on them if they were a bit more regular?
  • Is the site a bit too dark for your tastes? Would you prefer a lighter, fresher feel perhaps?
  • How about the number of weekly news submissions and quality of articles? Is there anything you think we should do differently, or that you'd like us to keep an eye on in particular?
  • Did you know you can submit news articles to us by starting a new thread in the News forum, whether you're logged in or not? If that's not easy enough, you can use the Contact Us page at the top-right of the site as well if you spot something you think might be of interest.
  • Would you sign up to a Weekly News Roundup newsletter deliverded to your inbox if we produced one? (Might be fortnightly depending on how much news there is).
  • Do you want a chance to write reviews for StrategyCore yourself? (We have access to a lot of games to review here as well as some previews of yet-to-be-released titles, but obviously we're only looking for people who can write a decent article in exchange for getting to play the games for free - it's also worth noting that some review copies can be time-limited, even to us reviewers :oh:).

That's literally all I can think of at this time of night.

So where's the chance to win a free game? Well the two best comments/suggestions (provided we get at least 10 individuals replying to this topic - staff aren't included in the 10) get a free game of their choice from GOG.com. If you happen to post what we think are the two best suggestions yourself, that means you get two games, so it's worth a go. If you picked a pack such as Master of Orion 1+2 and Earthworm Jim 1+2 this means you could potentially get 4 games for not a lot of effort!

So, let us know what you think - try and be somewhat detailed and realistic in the suggestions (there's a lot we can do with code, but we can't make the site 3D for example :P) - and go for it.

P.S. If anyone finds something on the site that looks like a bug, let us know and if we think it's big enough and you're the first to spot it then you can have a free game too. That's not to say we think there are any more, but you never know.

(Bugs don't include site downtime or error messages relating to site downtime unfortunately, nor do spelling mistakes count - though I might be tempted to give away a game if you find a lot of spelling mistakes on the site not including the forums >:]).

Oh maaan. Wish I was smart. :) Best I can do is hit a point-by-point! Hope it helps.

*SNIP*

Now on to the interesting bit. We're after suggestions for improvement again. We want to know what you think we could do better. This is an open question and we're after any serious suggestions whatsoever, but here are a few things to think about that just happened to be rattling around in my brain:

• What sorts of games you think we should be writing about (feel free to list any specific titles, old or new)?
Well I'm by no means an expert, but it seems the major lovin around here is done to turn-based tactical games, right? Why not broaden a touch to include some more stratgic games(Total Annilation comes to mind, Supereme Command, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, etc)? I mean hey, you've got Strategy in the name after all. :)

What can we do to increase participation on the site and the forums in particular? We have many "lurkers" but they don't post (nor do many members for that mater) - what are we doing wrong?
Speaking personally, in my case it's more of a "Well I /could/ comment, but the other regulars know more than I do" type thing. My level of experience with most of the favored games pales greatly when compared to the oldbies.
Not a problem, just my explantion as to why /I/ don't speak up often.

Would you be more likely to participate if we ran regular competitions on the forums (and indeed would this entice you to post in other topics, not just to enter a competition and then sneak off :) )?
Hmmm. Interesting question! I'd say MAYBE. I'm not much of a, uh, competivie person usually. I'm more than willing to try my hand at a few, but I know in a deathmatch between my Floaters and BB's Agents, I might as well just cave to start. :)

Would you like to see more articles, more often, and would you be more inclined to comment on them if they were a bit more regular?
I'm...honestly netural on this I guess? I mean, more is nice; but I've not much to complain about what's already there. I'm so helpful. D: As for commenting, I suppose so! Most of mine tend to be in the 'sarcastic observation' territory, but if you REALLY WANT ME TO. :)

Is the site a bit too dark for your tastes? Would you prefer a lighter, fresher feel perhaps?
I'm fine with how it looks, honestly. Looks kinda cool, but might be neat to see whatever else ya want.

How about the number of weekly news submissions and quality of articles? Is there anything you think we should do differently, or that you'd like us to keep an eye on in particular?
Honestly I'm in favor of how it's been going so far! I'm easy to please though, so...yeah. HELPFUL. D:

Did you know you can submit news articles to us by starting a new thread in the News forum, whether you're logged in or not? If that's not easy enough, you can use the Contact Us page at the top-right of the site as well if you spot something you think might be of interest.
Duly noted, although I'm not that well tapped into the pipes. >:]

Would you sign up to a Weekly News Roundup newsletter deliverded to your inbox if we produced one? (Might be fortnightly depending on how much news there is).
Might as well! Would make it easy to forward the odd article to friends without digging into a bunch of links. :P

Do you want a chance to write reviews for StrategyCore yourself? (We have access to a lot of games to review here as well as some previews of yet-to-be-released titles, but obviously we're only looking for people who can write a decent article in exchange for getting to play the games for free - it's also worth noting that some review copies can be time-limited, even to us reviewers :) ).
You make it sound OH so tempting, but I'm not much of an article writer. >.> I'm a fair hand at stories, but reviews are....eh. Sorry. :oh:

Sadly, I've not got much of anything ELSE floating around in my head right now, other than what's above(most of which are just answers to questions, yes; BUT HEY). Hope I helped!

• 2 weeks later...

Well at this rate with everyone else ignoring me you're jolly well going to get all the prizes for being the only one to respond.

I know those weren't the rules I laid out, but if there are no more responses by the end of the week then they're all yours :(

Indeed. Everyone else has got til midnight on the 19th of September (it's 7:20pm as I'm typing this for those of you in weird timezones :() to join in else it's going to be a one horse race for fantastic prizes depending on how fantastic Sunflash's game selection it :(

OKAY OKAY so I'm thinking.

The Might and Magic pack. Because, duh, M&M!

And Beyond Good and Evil. Because, why not? :(

Now I just need to get my GoG account working...

Well I gotta get my GoG account workign again, but I am thinking...

Beyond Good and Evil, if only because it looks interesting;

and then the Might and Magic pack, because, well, M&M.

Sound good? :(?