Football topic

Gimli

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What game is the ref watching, etc. Sick as a parrot. ;)

Well, your prediction was right. I had the same feeling. For the record, it looks like that disallowed goal was actually legitimate.

I didn't get to see most of the match (maybe the last 30 minutes or so) so I can't say much. Was it that England was bad or just that Germany was really good? I know that even with 10 men they looked pretty dangerous against Serbia. I guess we'll see in their next match(es). The last two goals did look like the defense messed up.

Was it that England was bad or just that Germany was really good?

Both.

The non-goal knocked the heart out of our wobbly team, and we went on to 100% attack against a German side deadly on the break. We looked like bloody muppets out there.

I don't think England would have gone on to win the game even if the second goal had been awarded. The players just didn't look as if they were capable of playing with the same quality they show week in week out, with the unfortunate exception of Stephen Gerrard. He looked just as incapable of providing any kind of leadership as he did at club level over the last season. It said a lot about the England defence that after the game the TV pundits were talking about what a good game David James had had in keeping Germany down to four goals.

Wow, the trip back home was insane, people everywhere, severe traffic jams, very loud, lots of celebrations ;)

Ghana + The referee weren't enough to stop us ;) It's hideous how desperate is the FIFA to keep a black team in the game, twice it's already happened to us, but having the referee on your side looks like it's not always enough! ;)

If Argentina loses tomorrow to Germany, I will be satisfied enough with this world cup :P

I don't know, I watched the England vs Germany game (obviously ;)) andmore recently the Spain vs Portugal game - the latter because I had Portugal in our world cup draw at work, though I realy dislike that diving idiot Ronaldo.

Although Germany obviously played far better than England, England just kept giving away goals and I don't think that disallowed goal would have made much of a difference as we were outclassed, but not as much as I thought we would be as there was still some questionable passing by the German side as well.

Now in the Spain vs Portugal match, there was some top-quality football the likes of which I've not seen in a long time (mostly because I don't watch much football :P) with the players rarely passing badly and neat tricks at every turn, some amazing defending and some even better scoring, so I'm really fancying Spain's chances against Germany.

Kind of sad Portugal lost if only for the prize draw -

Spain wins and totally deserves it. Germany was unrecognizable for most of the match. Had they played the whole match the way they played after Spain scored, they could have won.

I can't predict how the finals will end, but I hope it will be more interesting than this match.

I root for the Netherlands, great team (even if they received a little help from the referee) ;)

I didn't really notice much referee bias in the Uruguay-Netherlands match.

If you ask me, FIFA (as an organization) would probably have liked it more if Uruguay won. Their ideal is probably to have countries from different continents come as far as possible. If I was FIFA I'd cry after matches that threw Ghana and Uruguay out...

Personal bias from a referee is more likely though I really didn't notice it.

I didn't really notice much referee bias in the Uruguay-Netherlands match.

If you ask me, FIFA (as an organization) would probably have liked it more if Uruguay won. Their ideal is probably to have countries from different continents come as far as possible. If I was FIFA I'd cry after matches that threw Ghana and Uruguay out...

Personal bias from a referee is more likely though I really didn't notice it.

FIFA gains very little from Uruguay winning.

Just out of coincidence the matches against the african teams ended up with many of our players injured in BOTH matches. In the match against SA, one of our players received a full blown punch on the mouth, he was told to leave the field as he was bleeding like a pig, he returned with half a package of cotton in his mouth (that was so sad it was very funny). In the match against Ghana Uruguay was miraculously in offside everytime we reached their side (and I saw the slow-mo replays, offside my ass), and from that match 2 of our players were injured, one of them could not return because he had 2 yellow cards, and the other was too injured to even play. Did the africans ever get a yellow or even a red card for all their violence? nope, they got rewarded. Their last chance of goal was invented, where our player took it out with his hands (he got the correctly corresponding red card and they got a penalty, which they missed).

Against The Netherlands it was the same; non existent offsides, non existent faults (though credit's to be due here, they players from Netherlands did not take full advantage of the referee's preference, they played very good within the referee's rules and didn't try to injure our players on purpose), etc. Their first goal was an obscene offside (similar to the offside goal from Argentina) that, surprise surprise, was never called by the line referee.

Nevermind all that, it was fun while it lasted, we got screwed up by FIFA (Not that we're the first nor the last to be in that position), but that made the victories far more enjoyable, we're fully aware we were tried to be kicked out, and we persevered despite of that.

Football is not a game, it's a business, like everything, do you really think the FIFA leaves it to chance?