SotS, BoB, AMoC, ANY general

As long as this forum is not thriving with threads, discussions and the likes about what I perceive to be best space strategy available, I am opening this thread to lure you in.

You are all invited to open new threads, too and discuss anything Sword of the Stars related.

So far there are one preview and two reviews available;

Sword of the Stars Preview,

Sword of the Stars Review, and

Sword of the Stars: Born of Blood review.

A collective review of A Murder of Crows (mind you, word murder means flock in this case) and Argos Naval Yard is in the making. I'm also planning to do a SotS2 StrategyCore exclusive, meaning that I will collect bits and pieces of info thrown at Kerberos' forums by Martin Cirulis (aka Mecron) and put them together into a makeshift teaser.

So much from me, now it's your turn!

Might be in the market for this. Sum it up for me, SV, you're our resident SotS expert. What elevates this above the other 4X space empire games out there, and are the expandsions really worth it?

Are you trying to make me rewrite the reviews?! :P You'll just have to reread the existing ones and wait for the next. And expansions are VERY worth it. ANY is optional though, it doesn't bring huge gameplay changes. It does bring a ****load of ship sections and new techs. In my latest game I haven't even tackled new options.

I'll have to wait for the comp to return from servicing - the battery wasn't charging.

Previous expansions all brought HUGE gameplay changes, all for the better. Original SotS was a bit scarce but with even BoB alone it became a great game.

So has Martin dropped many hints on their forums then SV?

Would definitely be something good to put in our newsletter depending on how soon you were thinking of doing it?

There have been many SotS2 hints. Definitely worth digging out and gathering in a sort of a Q&A. Perhaps it will even come before the review (I can do some digging at work, too :) ). Otherwise I really don't care whether this is a news post or newsletter. Whatever will seem more fitting to you people at the time.

Thanks for the new home! :)

Well we're aiming for a newsletter to go out at the end of the month so it depends how fast you can work :P SotS2 info all collected together and presented in our newsletter would definitely pull in a crowd to this forum though!

I think FA was after a sentence or two to lure people in. Something like "guns, girls and galaxy... but without the girls" :)

Are you trying to make me rewrite the reviews?!

'Rewrite' is such an...ugly word. 'Paraphrase' might be better.

Oh okay, I'll read the review...

Edit:

Now now... I sure took my sweet time reviewing this game. Why ? Firstly, StrategyCore didn't receive the game in the first wave of review copies. Secondly, I was advised to wait for the patch 1.2.1. Thirdly, I was laz... let's just stop the fingerpointing, shall we?!

Billing you for getting my keyboard cleaned. Tea all over it now.

• 2 months later...

Things are kinds slow in the review department. It is being made, don't worry, but I'm considering waiting for the last patch/update. I know Kerberos is busy with Fort Zombie but if this was patch only it would probably be out already. So I have a feeling it will be bigger.

If it won't be out "in time" I won't hold back though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did not really arrive as soon as it was said but there are (will be) some very nice touches. Like impactors not arriving until anti-matter. In the latest AAR you were able to see that I was using them the whole game really and it did take some fun out of it.

Official announcement;

Ok folks, here you go... You know that this is your sign the update has gone upriver. Enjoy...you should have it in your hands by the end of the week unless something strange occurs. And there WILL be at least one more update after this.

SotS 1.7.2

FIXES:

1- Fixed issue where the same tech could be offered for a science project more than once.

2- Fixed issue where fleet icons were not displayed in the correct position on the star map.

3- Fixed very long ship loading time on some 64 bit windows platforms

4- Fixed issue with VN Berserker Disc is not tracking.

5- Fixed Combat AI defender circling planet needlessly.

6- Fixed bug where bribing an AI player set to Defend did not appear to improve relations.

7- Fixed defender spawning in atmosphere of planet.

8- Fixed AI jumping in and out of diplomatic states too frequently.

9- Fixed issue where tracking weaponswould circle target center point endlessly.

10- Docking assault shuttles no longer freeze the application for a noticeable period.

11- Fixed crash when launching a Grouped Teams game where one or more team has a single player.

12- Shields no longer persist after protectorate ship is destroyed.

13- Fixed Progression Wars crash when sending a scuttling ship with the convoy.

14- Fixed Progression Wars crash on the turn that a Grand Menace occurs.

15- Fixed grouped teams not appearing next to each other on custom maps.

16- Fixed crash when accessing design screen as Zuul after researching Drones.

17- Political map no longer shows undiscovered player icons.

18- Various ship section and weapon bug fixes.

19- Fixed various ships section art issues.

20- Fixed issues where long descriptions would not scroll correctly in text boxes.

21- Fixed bug where a player could fall into huge debt very quickly.

22- Fixed some tech tree textures.

23- Fixed ER ships moving without engines

CHANGES:

1- Star systems can now be colonized if cease fire race is in system as well. WARNING: COMBAT WILL RESULT

2- AI's will consider NAP when they break Alliance instead of going to war footing as default.

3- Dumbfire missile behavior in simulated combat more in line with reality.

4- No longer allowed to board intangible enemy ships.

5- Tarka Hunters no longer exploitable.

6- Tweaks to AI research priorities.

7- Pathing around DN's now improved.

8- More accurate bounding spheres for Liir and Morrigi Dreadnoughts

9- Point Defense weapons and Dumbfire Missiles now excluded from Strafe sections.

10- AI now places greater priority on finishing off small empires.

11- Ships in pursuit stance now follow targets more closely.

12- Tarka Hunters no longer replaced by repair ships.

13- Alterations to some Impactor sections.

14- Liir Propaganda ship now "Propagandizes"

15- Changes to some races asteroid monitor loadouts.

16- Railcannons now an Anti-matter era tech. (read: Impactors)

ADDITIONS:

1- 50 victory badges for Zuul and Morrigi

2- INI setting to prevent modification of hardware gamma levels.

3- Mini-Cluster Map

4- Cubes Map

5- Map type can now be selected for the Land Grab scenario.

• 2 weeks later...