Stat/Skill/Training Changes!

Cap'n Kyth

I felt compelled to make this for no good reason.

Exact stat increases thanks to sigget's Skill Tool! Thanks sigget.

Might come in handy to any of you who wish to know exactly how much stats level up a skill each time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strength Summary.

+0.75 Launchers per Level

+0.50 Throwing per Level

+0.50 Hit Points per Level

+0.25 Speed per Level

+0.50 Capacity per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agility Summary.

+0.50 Rifles per Level

+0.25 Handguns per Level

+0.50 Throwing per Level

+0.25 Dodging per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dexterity Summary.

+0.25 Marksmanship per Level

+0.75 Handguns per Level

+0.25 Hit Points per Level

+0.25 Speed per Level

+0.25 Dodging per Level

+0.50 Stealth per Level

+0.25 Medical per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willpower Summary.

+0.50 Marksmanship per Level

+0.50 Rifles per Level

+0.50 Psi Power per Level

+0.25 Hit Points per Level

+0.50 Capacity per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intelligence Summary.

+0.25 Launchers per Level

+0.50 Psi Power per Level

+0.25 Observation per Level

+0.75 Aliens per Level

+0.75 Medical per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perception Summary.

+0.25 Marksmanship per Level

+0.50 Dodging per Level

+0.75 Observation per Level

+0.50 Stealth per Level

+0.25 Aliens per Level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Training Summaries.

Sniper

+1 Marksmanship

+1 Rifles

+1 Observation

+1 Capacity

Soldier

+1 Rifles

+1 Handguns

+1 Hit Points

+1 Speed

Grenadier

+1 Launchers

+1 Throwing

+1 Hit Points

+1 Capacity

Psion

+1 Psi Power

+1 Dodging

+1 Observation

+1 Aliens

Scout

+1 Hit Points

+1 Speed

+1 Observation

+1 Stealth

Medic

+1 Speed

+1 Dodging

+1 Aliens

+1 Medical

Scientist

+1 Throwing

+1 Observation

+1 Aliens

+1 Capacity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What does #stat# do?!?

Marksmanship: :(

This makes your soldiers more accurate with any weapon, and many weapons have it as their primary attribute. It's key for Snipers and Heavy Gunners (those toting HMGs and Gatlings).

Rifles: ;)

This skill relates to how well your soldier handles a rifle. No doubt improves reloading and firing times, maybe even increases accuracy with Rifles.

Handguns: :(

This skill relates to how well your soldier uses a handgun, or small assualt rifle, (P-90, MP-7) no doubt improves reloading and firing times, perhaps increases accuracy with Handguns also.

Launchers: :)

BOOM BOOM! This skill determines how good your Rocket/Missile Launcher Users are. Increases Accuracy, of course, maybe reload times.

Throwing: :blink:

Fweeeeeeee! BOOOOM! Nothing like a good old M-79 to lighten up your day, eh? Throwing improves how far, accurately, and well, your soldier throws stuff. Some weapons such as the M-79 and Super Striker use this as their main attribute.

Psi Power: ;) ;)

"I will control your mind". Maybe not. With enough Psi Power, your soldiers can resist Psionic attacks, and even give the aliens a run for their money with Psi weapons.

Hit Points: :muton:

Nope, this isn't how many points you get for being hit... this is how many points of health you have, and how many can get blown away before you are KO'ed, or cease to exsist. The more, the better.

Speed: :chrys:

"Ariba! Ariba! Ariba". Yep, this skill determines how fast your little soldiers move. In combination with Heavy Combat Armor, at max level, even the sluggish powerarmor moves fairly quickly.

Dodging: :(

"There can only be one." Dodging determines how well your soldiers avoid oncoming attacks. Those with high levels of it are like Neo, whilst others with low Dodging are more like targets on a duck shoot at a fair.

Observation: :)

"I see you". Observation determines how far your soldier can see, and how good they are at spotting "baddies". Those with high Obs. are like eagles, whilst those without probably need glasses.

Stealth: :ninja:

"Sneakin'". Stealth determines how good your soldiers are at NOT being seen. Ie, the opposite of Observation. Use it to evade patrols.

Aliens: :grey:

"OOGA BOOGA". Or not. The most unusual skill of them all, Aliens determines how... well... intimate a soldier's knowledge of an alien is. Those with high Aliens are more likely to know the weakspots.

Medical: :yarn:

"MEDIC". Medical determines how good your medic is at patching people up. The better the skill, the more HP restored, and the worse the skill, the less HP restored.

Capacity: :muton:

Fairly simple. This merely determines how much your soldier can carry.

No problem Slaughter.

It was originally designed as a reference chart for people who wanted to know EXACTLY how much of a "bar" was filled by certain statistic upgrades.

But really, most of the credit goes to sigget, as I used his Skill Tool to do this.

If anyone's wondering why I used the ball of wool by medical, it's because it was the closest thing I could find that looked like bandages!

Exact stat increases thanks to sigget's Skill Tool! Thanks sigget.

Well, I am playing v1.3, and the stat increases are not fixed like in your table. Which stats are increased is constant, but they get from 0 to 0.75 increase, and I have no idea how this is determined.

Are you guys sure they've changed the skills for version 1.3? I suppose i could rewrite the skills program so that it takes its values from the installed gamedata.vfs. Or perhaps it would be better if it had the different configurations available from a menu. Anyway, is there an interest?

Are you guys sure they've changed the skills for version 1.3? I suppose i could rewrite the skills program so that it takes its values from the installed gamedata.vfs. Or perhaps it would be better if it had the different configurations available from a menu. Anyway, is there an interest?

That would be welcomed sigget. As BlackAlmaz says, Cap'n Kyth is running a RPG, and it would thus be nice to choose what version of the game the skilltool takes it's settings from. Would it also be possible to export the "character" you setup to a textfile with the format used in this thread? And save the characters, so we can level them up? Thus we'd have not only a skilltool but a character generator... :( And if you added some textboxes for character name, age and so on it would be perfect :blink:

Could anyone supply me with the config files for the different versions? If i remember correctly the settings are in these files:

tactical\configs\game\listofskills.txt

tactical\configs\game\listoftrain.txt

Zipped and mailed would be the best, and dont forget to say what version they're from. Or perhaps just post them here, since they're only like 2 Kb or so.

• 8 months later...
Marksmanship: :huh:

This makes your soldiers more accurate with any weapon, and many weapons have it as their primary attribute. It's key for Snipers and Heavy Gunners (those toting HMGs and Gatlings).

Rifles: :D

This skill relates to how well your soldier handles a rifle. No doubt improves reloading and firing times, maybe even increases accuracy with Rifles.

Wait, does that mean that the Marksmanship skill influences accuracy with weapons other than the Sniper Rifles?

• 4 years later...

Wow, this is a great topic. Had it not been for Cap'n Kyth, this is something I probably would have done. Hehe. :P

Wait, does that mean that the Marksmanship skill influences accuracy with weapons other than the Sniper Rifles?

I would assume so, though it probably doesn't play that big of role for non-sniping weapons.

Anyhow, I'm back to playing Aftermath again. Besides all the right clicking which drives me nuts, I'm doing pretty good. It's Feb 2005, I have 10 soldiers and control most of the United States, Mexico, Hawaii and a good chunk of Canada for good measure.

The best part of this game (at least for me) has to be the training. At first I thought it may be a little over the top, but it's great to be able to get a new recruit and stuff him/her right into training before they are sent on a mission. At the moment two of my soldiers are L8, two are L7, four are L6, one is L5 and there is one L4 in there too. So far all of them have completed their highlighted training areas, and that means they need to go on a lot of missions. No more lolly-gagging around back at base guys, it's time to get to work and earn your pay! :)

I'm trying to train my guys and gals evenly instead of specializing because I figure they can all be multi-role fighters. In case a substitution needs to be made due to training or injury, any of them will suffice then. But I'm guessing that this may not be such a good thing as it takes more and more points to get to the next level. It's still early though, and non-specialized soldiers seem to work well for most missions. I'll let you know what I find. :)

, I'm back to playing Aftermath

it's great to be able to get a new recruit and stuff him/her right into training before they are sent on a mission. all of them have completed their highlighted training areas,

That's like in Aftershock (and in Afterlight but with training points).

The best part of this game (at least for me) has to be the training. I'm trying to train my guys and gals evenly instead of specializing because I figure they can all be multi-role fighters. In case a substitution needs to be made due to training or injury, any of them will suffice then. But I'm guessing that this may not be such a good thing as it takes more and more points to get to the next level. It's still early though, and non-specialized soldiers seem to work well for most missions.

Nope, the training is some good, but you'll see that there is no specialization as all soldiers will have all of them!!! All your soldiers will be the same (sniper-medic-ninja-tank-jedi-rambo-jack-of-all-trade)..

In Aftershock that has been corrected, as a soldier can only have 3 specs (and in Afterlight you can't have all specs too, as the level is capped and you can't have all the points to be specialized in all).

In Aftermath, being the first of the games, it's really your soldiers' journey that matters rather than the destination of their stats. :P Towards the end, like good old X-COM, specialization ends up dependent on whatever equipment you arm your troops and that's it. Though, I often find that the final tier bio armor and power armor often have a major say in defining the roles of my troops.

Aftershock does force you to really think about how you wish to tailor your troops to meet your particular needs or else they end up very mediocre in the end. Lost a lot of time on some soldiers thinking I could train them up as jacks of all trades until I realized that you could only pick 3 (or 2 for the cybrogs and hybrids) specialized fields for your troops, and your stat levels really mattered in some cases.

It also added an extra angle of difficulty when it came to hiring experienced troops as opposed to inexperienced troops as they often came prepackaged with a specialization field or two that you may not want.

How did experience get handed out in Aftermath again? I do remember that Aftershock's experience was given at a flat rate to everyone that was present on the map regardless of what they did. That resulted in being able to train up a bunch of inexperienced troops by just sending out a few veterans to mop up the map while the newbies twiddled their thumbs at the starting zone. :)

- NKF